I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
Topic Author
catdude
Posts: 1747
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Central Oregon

I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by catdude » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi Bogleheads -

I've decided I need a bigger TV; my current one is 50", I want to get a 65" model. I don't watch a great deal of TV... mostly sports, via an OTA antenna, or Roku/YouTubeTV...

My budget is roughly $550 - $600. I've got my eye on this one from Best Buy --

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-clas ... Id=6290164

Is this is a good buy? Or would it be worth it to spend a bit more $$$ to get a significantly better TV? What do you guys think?
catdude | | "Only in America." (Yogi Berra, after being told that the mayor of Catholic Dublin was Jewish)

mhalley
Posts: 7359
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by mhalley » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:56 pm

Sports is the one reason you might want to get a more expensive tv. The refresh rate is key for catching the action. Not sure if the one you picked is on this list.
Check out these models
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/sports
Last edited by mhalley on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

02nz
Posts: 2202
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by 02nz » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:59 pm

LG makes great OLED TVs (well actually they're the only ones, even the Sony OLEDs have panels from LG). Regular LCDs, not so much. Check rtings.com and CNET for recommendations. TCL is a great choice in this price range, comes with Roku built-in.

BanquetBeer
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:57 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by BanquetBeer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:59 pm

My last TV was 10 years ago and I don’t plan to upgrade for another 5 (required new computer, receiver, cables, etc for 4K)

If I was buying today I would opt for a 75” because 1) the cost delta over ~10-13 years is minimal 2) the cost delta (absolute) is not material and 3) the space we have the TV is a large room where 100” wouldn’t be oversized (large living room with open kitchen, couch is 15’ from tv but could go back more.

Depends what you want - do you want something more disposable (plan on moving?) do you like watching TV, how does this impact your budget? Etc.

I’d probably buy from Costco for return policy/warranty.

Would never get a “smart” tv - just connect to a computer as I think the limited systems are worthless.

jello_nailer
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:20 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by jello_nailer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:08 pm

mhalley wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:56 pm
Sports is the one reason you might want to get a more expensive tv. The refresh rate is key for catching the action. Not sure if the one you picked is on this list.
Check out these models
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/sports
High refresh rate and almost more important - Calibrate your new TV after burn in. I spent 2 weeks calibrating my 65" Samsung 6 years ago. What a difference after calibration! Everybody that see mine asks what the heck is it. It' only a 120hz LED HD. I think I read about calibration in Wired or something like that and I'm a believer. Good luck.

rich126
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by rich126 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:08 pm

BanquetBeer wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:59 pm
My last TV was 10 years ago and I don’t plan to upgrade for another 5 (required new computer, receiver, cables, etc for 4K)

If I was buying today I would opt for a 75” because 1) the cost delta over ~10-13 years is minimal 2) the cost delta (absolute) is not material and 3) the space we have the TV is a large room where 100” wouldn’t be oversized (large living room with open kitchen, couch is 15’ from tv but could go back more.

Depends what you want - do you want something more disposable (plan on moving?) do you like watching TV, how does this impact your budget? Etc.

I’d probably buy from Costco for return policy/warranty.

Would never get a “smart” tv - just connect to a computer as I think the limited systems are worthless.
I'm curious. How far away do you sit from a 75" tv? My tv location is on the short side of a rectangle so I couldn't imagine a 75" or maybe even a 60" tv when I'm only about 7 feet away from it.

mhalley
Posts: 7359
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by mhalley » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:14 pm

Supposedly the ideal viewing distance for a 75” 4K tv is 6.5 to 9.5 ft . 60” it’s 5 to 7.5 ft.
https://www.avu.ca/video/perfecting-pro ... -distance/
Last edited by mhalley on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 17055
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by Watty » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:15 pm

It would take a hard look at buying one from Costco because when you buy it from them you get a 2 year warranty and if you buy it with a Costco Credit card you get an additional 2 years for a total of four years.

If you do not already have one then I would also budget for a soundbar or speakers for the TV. The speakers that come with TV are pretty worthless.
catdude wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:45 pm
...via an OTA antenna....
Be sure that the TV you are looking at actually has an OTA tuner. Some of them don't and may be called something like a Video Monitor but it might not be obvious that it does not have a TV tuner.
catdude wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:45 pm
want to get a 65" model.
I don't have a link handy but there are websites that will explain what the best size TV is for the viewing distance. It is possible to get a TV that is too large for your viewing distance so don't assume that bigger is always better.

RobLyons
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by RobLyons » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:28 pm

I would say that's a good deal. And Costco has one of the best return policies.

Crazy how prices have dropped every year. I always bought at the $800-$1200 price point at 42-55" for best/optimal price

I would go bigger if you have the room (on the wall plus sitting at least 7-8 feet away)
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

GuyInFL
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by GuyInFL » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:48 pm

mhalley wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:14 pm
Supposedly the ideal viewing distance for a 75” 4K tv is 6.5 to 9.5 ft . 60” it’s 5 to 7.5 ft.
https://www.avu.ca/video/perfecting-pro ... -distance/
My 75" 4K looks good at about 10 feet. Signal quality varies on different channels.

User avatar
midareff
Posts: 6307
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Biscayne Bay, South Florida

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by midareff » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:52 pm

catdude wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:45 pm
Hi Bogleheads -

I've decided I need a bigger TV; my current one is 50", I want to get a 65" model. I don't watch a great deal of TV... mostly sports, via an OTA antenna, or Roku/YouTubeTV...

My budget is roughly $550 - $600. I've got my eye on this one from Best Buy --

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-clas ... Id=6290164

Is this is a good buy? Or would it be worth it to spend a bit more $$$ to get a significantly better TV? What do you guys think?
FWIW, I think the biggest TV you can fit in the spot is what you want. After that go for all the quality you can afford.

sd323232
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:45 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by sd323232 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:57 pm

catdude wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:45 pm
Hi Bogleheads -

I've decided I need a bigger TV; my current one is 50", I want to get a 65" model. I don't watch a great deal of TV... mostly sports, via an OTA antenna, or Roku/YouTubeTV...

My budget is roughly $550 - $600. I've got my eye on this one from Best Buy --

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-clas ... Id=6290164

Is this is a good buy? Or would it be worth it to spend a bit more $$$ to get a significantly better TV? What do you guys think?
Can you wait and buy TV on black Friday for 50% off? Or you need TV asap? Black Friday you can get really good TV at nice discount.

User avatar
Topic Author
catdude
Posts: 1747
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Central Oregon

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by catdude » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:59 pm

BanquetBeer wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:59 pm
If I was buying today I would opt for a 75” because 1) the cost delta over ~10-13 years is minimal 2) the cost delta (absolute) is not material and 3) the space we have the TV is a large room where 100” wouldn’t be oversized (large living room with open kitchen, couch is 15’ from tv but could go back more.

Depends what you want - do you want something more disposable (plan on moving?) do you like watching TV, how does this impact your budget? Etc.
I just moved, and you're describing precisely my new living room. Looks like I need get at least a 75-inch TV.
catdude | | "Only in America." (Yogi Berra, after being told that the mayor of Catholic Dublin was Jewish)

GatorFL
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:07 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by GatorFL » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Not to introduce scope creep, but the sound on most new 4K TVs is terrible. Additionally, the latest sound bars can use an HDMI out directly into the "ARC" HDMI input on the TV. This is important because it lets you completely integrate the sound bar volume controls into the single cable/TV remote that you use. My advice would be to get a decent sound bar with HDMI out capability, and for the TV you select to have the dedicated HDMI ARC input.

I have the Yamaha YAS-108 sound bar and I use a single remote to turn on/off the TV as well as adjusting the volume. I have it connected via a single HDMI cable to my 70" 4K TV. It improves the TX experience greatly for me as the TV speakers were difficult for me to make out dialog.

Gator

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by LilyFleur » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:46 pm

I love my 65" TCL from Costco. Also bought the wall mount from Costco--it's so great to be able to pull it out from the wall and tilt it so I can watch easily from the sofa. And also bought the Bose soundbar from Costco.
I don't watch sports, though.

123
Posts: 4963
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by 123 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:16 am

I'd say go for it. You're lucky to be able to use an OTA antenna, it's like the digital bits are coming into your TV through a fire hose. Those of us that are limited to subscription options (cable/satellite/streaming) envy you. There aren't any additional data compressors/de-compressors between the transmitter and your antenna causing delays and other issues that sometimes plague subscription services. Congratulations on being able to watch TV the way it was meant to be seen, for free (without a charge for reception).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Bacchus01
Posts: 3118
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:30 am

For your needs I’d get a decent 65”. Usually a 75” in the same class is nearly 2X a decent 65”. The sweet spot on pricing right now is definitely 65”.

I’d get a Samsung. I’ve had great success with them. I have 4 in my house. OLED Fromm LG/Sony is most definitely a better picture, but not worth the price upcharge in my opinion.

And buy from Costco.

pennywise
Posts: 662
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 6:22 am

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by pennywise » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:16 am

I've got a 65" LG smart tv, and it's a very nice set. With the caveat I'm not tv geek, the picture is clear and crisp, and the only downside I've encountered is that after 2 years, the 'smart' portion is defunct as evidently there is a software glitch that results in the set no longer connecting to my wireless service. However a $40 Roku stick solved that problem so it's negligible in terms of affecting usage.

And yes it is amazing how the price curve hurtles downward; the link you provided for the same or very similar tv I bought a couple of years ago is 25% cheaper than what I paid-on a big sale deal!

carolinaman
Posts: 3776
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by carolinaman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:05 am

Our main TV is a high end Sony we paid $2k for on sale last year. It is not working at moment and waiting on part for repair (TV repair guy said this was very unusual to have problem so soon). In interim I bought a Samsung 49" D60 at cost of $750. I am surprised but the picture quality is almost the same which may cause me to rethink buying high end TVs. Anyway, I think a $500 to $700 TV will probably be good enough for most of us. I agree with the need for a soundbar as even expensive TVs have poor sound quality. Check rtings.com and consumer reports for reviews but Samsung TVs are generally pretty good. I also agree with whoever said to skip the "smart tvs". We do not use their features and they tend to make use of TV more complicated.

MotoTrojan
Posts: 5863
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by MotoTrojan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:08 am

I’ve been thrilled with my 55” Hisense. $550 got me a tv with specs comparable to a $1500-2000 LG. Pro model. They have a 65” too, only downside I believe is the sound system (mine is H & K).

User avatar
Topic Author
catdude
Posts: 1747
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Central Oregon

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by catdude » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:14 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:30 am
For your needs I’d get a decent 65”. Usually a 75” in the same class is nearly 2X a decent 65”. The sweet spot on pricing right now is definitely 65”.

I’d get a Samsung. I’ve had great success with them. I have 4 in my house. OLED Fromm LG/Sony is most definitely a better picture, but not worth the price upcharge in my opinion.

And buy from Costco.
Does Costco deliver? I doubt that I have room in my vehicle for a 65" TV.
catdude | | "Only in America." (Yogi Berra, after being told that the mayor of Catholic Dublin was Jewish)

lazydavid
Posts: 2424
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by lazydavid » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:04 pm

catdude wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:14 am
Does Costco deliver? I doubt that I have room in my vehicle for a 65" TV.
Costco does not deliver, but you can rent a truck from Home Depot/Lowes/Menards for less than twenty bucks.

Bacchus01
Posts: 3118
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:43 pm

catdude wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:14 am
Bacchus01 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:30 am
For your needs I’d get a decent 65”. Usually a 75” in the same class is nearly 2X a decent 65”. The sweet spot on pricing right now is definitely 65”.

I’d get a Samsung. I’ve had great success with them. I have 4 in my house. OLED Fromm LG/Sony is most definitely a better picture, but not worth the price upcharge in my opinion.

And buy from Costco.
Does Costco deliver? I doubt that I have room in my vehicle for a 65" TV.
I borrowed a friends minivan.

Quickfoot
Posts: 1166
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by Quickfoot » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:54 pm

Don't worry about an extended warranty on a TV, electronics that are going to fail typically fail within the first 90 days. The repair rate on electronics past a year is almost zero so 2 and 4 year warranties really don't matter.

You do not need a $2,500 tv to watch sports, any modern 4K TV from any major brand will have a perfectly fine refresh rate, there just isn't a huge difference on panels anymore. Samsung makes good panels, Best Buy's store brand TVs are also really good.

Samsung smart TV are exceptional, responsive with good features and the new ones have an Apple TV app.

carolinaman
Posts: 3776
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by carolinaman » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:13 am

Quickfoot wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:54 pm
Don't worry about an extended warranty on a TV, electronics that are going to fail typically fail within the first 90 days. The repair rate on electronics past a year is almost zero so 2 and 4 year warranties really don't matter.

You do not need a $2,500 tv to watch sports, any modern 4K TV from any major brand will have a perfectly fine refresh rate, there just isn't a huge difference on panels anymore. Samsung makes good panels, Best Buy's store brand TVs are also really good.

Samsung smart TV are exceptional, responsive with good features and the new ones have an Apple TV app.
I have always heard that modern TVs are highly reliable and problems in the first few years are rare. Our last 2 TVs were highly reliable with no problems in 14 and 11 years respectively. However, we bought a top rated Sony 930E 65 inch on sale for $2k in April 2018. The Tcon board which controls lighting of pixels failed 2 weeks ago after 16 months. BestBuy has part on order to be installed Thursday. All in repair cost is $300. I bought the TV at Best Buy. Sony provided a one year warranty and I used Citi Costco card which provides 2 additional years of warranty, so they will cover the cost. The Geek Squad said this was somewhat unusual but that it is not unheard of to have TVs fail early in their lives.

In diagnosing my TV problem, I read many sob stories from people whose TVs had major problems early in their life cycle.

This may cause me to rethink my TV buying strategy. I have always bought expensive and highly rated TVs expecting them to last a long time. I bought a mid range Samsung D60 (49 inch) for $750 since our TV was going to be out of service for several weeks. I am impressed with the picture quality of this TV. It appears one can get a pretty good TV that is almost as good as the top of the line for $500 to $1000. Why pay more? Also, if major problems occur, it is much less expensive to replace.

stoptothink
Posts: 6087
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by stoptothink » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:32 am

carolinaman wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:13 am
Quickfoot wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:54 pm
Don't worry about an extended warranty on a TV, electronics that are going to fail typically fail within the first 90 days. The repair rate on electronics past a year is almost zero so 2 and 4 year warranties really don't matter.

You do not need a $2,500 tv to watch sports, any modern 4K TV from any major brand will have a perfectly fine refresh rate, there just isn't a huge difference on panels anymore. Samsung makes good panels, Best Buy's store brand TVs are also really good.

Samsung smart TV are exceptional, responsive with good features and the new ones have an Apple TV app.
I have always heard that modern TVs are highly reliable and problems in the first few years are rare. Our last 2 TVs were highly reliable with no problems in 14 and 11 years respectively. However, we bought a top rated Sony 930E 65 inch on sale for $2k in April 2018. The Tcon board which controls lighting of pixels failed 2 weeks ago after 16 months. BestBuy has part on order to be installed Thursday. All in repair cost is $300. I bought the TV at Best Buy. Sony provided a one year warranty and I used Citi Costco card which provides 2 additional years of warranty, so they will cover the cost. The Geek Squad said this was somewhat unusual but that it is not unheard of to have TVs fail early in their lives.

In diagnosing my TV problem, I read many sob stories from people whose TVs had major problems early in their life cycle.

This may cause me to rethink my TV buying strategy. I have always bought expensive and highly rated TVs expecting them to last a long time. I bought a mid range Samsung D60 (49 inch) for $750 since our TV was going to be out of service for several weeks. I am impressed with the picture quality of this TV. It appears one can get a pretty good TV that is almost as good as the top of the line for $500 to $1000. Why pay more? Also, if major problems occur, it is much less expensive to replace.
New "budget" TVs are incredible. Our 55" TCL that was purchased for <$400 looks every bit as good as my parent's $2k Samsung. Unless you are going to shell out for OLED, I really don't see the point in spending more than you have to on a TV.

mmmodem
Posts: 1706
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by mmmodem » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:13 am

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:32 am
New "budget" TVs are incredible. Our 55" TCL that was purchased for <$400 looks every bit as good as my parent's $2k Samsung. Unless you are going to shell out for OLED, I really don't see the point in spending more than you have to on a TV.
Agree completely. Our near top of the line 55" 3D smart HDTV (remember 3D?) died recently. The smart functions had stopped working years ago one app after another as providers deemed it too old to access their networks. The screen looked great in a dark room but in the living room with sunlit windows, you could hardly tell it was anything specialne. Needless to say, I regretted that purchase.

We replaced with a cheapo Sceptre 65" for $380. It completely blows away that old TV in terms of contrast, color, and brightness. The only problem is the sound which is horrible so we bought a sound bar. No smart functions were included so we pair with a Fire TV.

Sure, at night with all glare sources removed, an expensive OLED TV will make the Sceptre look like junk. But in normal daytime use, I doubt anyone will notice the difference. I might splurge for a nice TV if I ever get my man cave constructed.

finite_difference
Posts: 1425
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by finite_difference » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:19 am

catdude wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:45 pm
Hi Bogleheads -

I've decided I need a bigger TV; my current one is 50", I want to get a 65" model. I don't watch a great deal of TV... mostly sports, via an OTA antenna, or Roku/YouTubeTV...

My budget is roughly $550 - $600. I've got my eye on this one from Best Buy --

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-clas ... Id=6290164

Is this is a good buy? Or would it be worth it to spend a bit more $$$ to get a significantly better TV? What do you guys think?
I would prefer OLED over size.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

miles monroe
Posts: 1279
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:14 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by miles monroe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:25 am

i'd get the biggest samsung that's in your budget from costco.

and check costco online -- it's a lot easier to have it delivered than bringing it home yourself.

and if you want to splurge go for white glove delivery -- not only do they deliver but they set it up while they are there.

dziuniek
Posts: 600
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:54 pm
Location: Corrupticut

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by dziuniek » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:06 pm

We bought a budget LG TV last year - the 70inch model for $700.

So far - so good, no issues.

Has the built in apps + app store.

sport
Posts: 8267
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by sport » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:05 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:04 pm
catdude wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:14 am
Does Costco deliver? I doubt that I have room in my vehicle for a 65" TV.
Costco does not deliver, but you can rent a truck from Home Depot/Lowes/Menards for less than twenty bucks.
You can get delivery from Costco.com https://www.costco.com/televisions.html

lazydavid
Posts: 2424
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by lazydavid » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:32 pm

sport wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:05 pm
lazydavid wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:04 pm
catdude wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:14 am
Does Costco deliver? I doubt that I have room in my vehicle for a 65" TV.
Costco does not deliver, but you can rent a truck from Home Depot/Lowes/Menards for less than twenty bucks.
You can get delivery from Costco.com https://www.costco.com/televisions.html
That's true, you can order from Costco.com and get it drop shipped to your house. You can not, however, get delivery from your local store, and the selection may be different. Costco.com and the B&M stores are actually separate businesses, though obviously they're linked.

almostretired1965
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by almostretired1965 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:45 pm

My experience is that failures happen early. They might be more reliable now, but my personal batting average on flat screens is 0.333.

My first big screen was a 50" Panasonic Plasma that we still have. It died about 6 month into the first year. No one makes Plasmas anymore, but back then, I preferred its picture quality to comparable LED/LCDs. Once it was repaired, it has been fine ever since. My second was a 65" Samsung Plasma that developed a permanent line on the left side of the screen about 3 month or so into it. I was too lazy to follow up with Samsung until a couple months before the orignal warranty expired. By then the model was no longer available and they offered to replace it with a newer model or a refund. I took the refund and spend about half the money for a 55" JVC LED which has been a champ except for the fact that I could not get the subtitle options to work for OTA. I could probably use a bigger one, but I'm still pretty happy with what I have and I'll just wait until one of them die to buy a new one. They seem to get bigger, better, and cheaper every year!

A

carolinaman wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:13 am
Quickfoot wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:54 pm
Don't worry about an extended warranty on a TV, electronics that are going to fail typically fail within the first 90 days. The repair rate on electronics past a year is almost zero so 2 and 4 year warranties really don't matter.

You do not need a $2,500 tv to watch sports, any modern 4K TV from any major brand will have a perfectly fine refresh rate, there just isn't a huge difference on panels anymore. Samsung makes good panels, Best Buy's store brand TVs are also really good.

Samsung smart TV are exceptional, responsive with good features and the new ones have an Apple TV app.
I have always heard that modern TVs are highly reliable and problems in the first few years are rare. Our last 2 TVs were highly reliable with no problems in 14 and 11 years respectively. However, we bought a top rated Sony 930E 65 inch on sale for $2k in April 2018. The Tcon board which controls lighting of pixels failed 2 weeks ago after 16 months. BestBuy has part on order to be installed Thursday. All in repair cost is $300. I bought the TV at Best Buy. Sony provided a one year warranty and I used Citi Costco card which provides 2 additional years of warranty, so they will cover the cost. The Geek Squad said this was somewhat unusual but that it is not unheard of to have TVs fail early in their lives.

In diagnosing my TV problem, I read many sob stories from people whose TVs had major problems early in their life cycle.

This may cause me to rethink my TV buying strategy. I have always bought expensive and highly rated TVs expecting them to last a long time. I bought a mid range Samsung D60 (49 inch) for $750 since our TV was going to be out of service for several weeks. I am impressed with the picture quality of this TV. It appears one can get a pretty good TV that is almost as good as the top of the line for $500 to $1000. Why pay more? Also, if major problems occur, it is much less expensive to replace.

randomguy
Posts: 8118
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by randomguy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:21 pm

almostretired1965 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:45 pm
My experience is that failures happen early. They might be more reliable now, but my personal batting average on flat screens is 0.333.

My first big screen was a 50" Panasonic Plasma that we still have. It died about 6 month into the first year. No one makes Plasmas anymore, but back then, I preferred its picture quality to comparable LED/LCDs. Once it was repaired, it has been fine ever since. My second was a 65" Samsung Plasma that developed a permanent line on the left side of the screen about 3 month or so into it. I was too lazy to follow up with Samsung until a couple months before the orignal warranty expired. By then the model was no longer available and they offered to replace it with a newer model or a refund. I took the refund and spend about half the money for a 55" JVC LED which has been a champ except for the fact that I could not get the subtitle options to work for OTA. I could probably use a bigger one, but I'm still pretty happy with what I have and I'll just wait until one of th
You could also say your average on LCDs is 1.00. Plasma reliability or lack of it really doesn't apply to LED given they have no tech in common.

User avatar
Topic Author
catdude
Posts: 1747
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Central Oregon

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by catdude » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:19 pm

sd323232 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:57 pm
Can you wait and buy TV on black Friday for 50% off? Or you need TV asap? Black Friday you can get really good TV at nice discount.
That's a good idea, thanks. I just may do that....
catdude | | "Only in America." (Yogi Berra, after being told that the mayor of Catholic Dublin was Jewish)

User avatar
augryphon
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:35 am

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by augryphon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:45 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:46 pm
I love my 65" TCL from Costco. Also bought the wall mount from Costco--it's so great to be able to pull it out from the wall and tilt it so I can watch easily from the sofa. And also bought the Bose soundbar from Costco.
I don't watch sports, though.
We have 2 TCL TVs and stream and we couldn’t be happier. We bought from Amazon.

audioaxes
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: I'm gonna need a bigger TV...

Post by audioaxes » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:31 pm

id lurk on slickdeals for a great deal to come up. And then black friday is not too far away. I wouldnt be surprised to see a 65" go on sale for $350ish before the end of the year.

Post Reply