Costco washer/dryer delivery: tipping?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Goal33

Re: Costco washer/dryer delivery: tipping?

Post by Goal33 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:02 pm

PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:00 pm
One of the reasons to be kind to the least advantaged Ian be precisely that they are not in a position to negotiate for better wages.

That not all low-paying jobs receive tips does not mean that none of them should. Those who want to tip in an specific case should do so, and those who don’t should not. It seems callous to say that nobody should tip.

Andy.

vshun wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:00 pm
I swear every week someone on this forum finds some new topic to raise and suggest tipping. Usual arguments: I have enough money and their salary is low, ets etc. Please stop. We all worked at some point I(when young) for minimum wage, and this was an incentive to do better. When your teenage son helps people at Target for minimum wage of 8.25, nobody would think to tip him/her because he does not get enough to afford separate place to live, or need money for college, etc. We should discourage tipping and not find excuse to promote this culture. If they (movers, delivery folks, tour guides, etc) do not get enough they will negotiate a better wage or find another job, like the rest of people working as supermarket cashiers, fast food places, Target helpers, etc who do not rely on tips.
Right. There is also an element of service quality recourse here imo.

If the kid at Target provides poor service, I can leave my cart and walk away or complain to his manager.

The only incentive the guy moving my furniture has is the possibility for a tip.
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:15 pm

"One of the reasons to be kind to the least advantaged Ian be precisely that they are not in a position to negotiate for better wages."

I totally agree with the kindness factor, but if they are able bodied enough to deliver appliances, there should be other opportunities for them up the ladder, IMHO.

We just received a new washer from a local independent franchised SQ dealer. The delivery fee was strong for the time & work involved. They were in and out in about 20 minutes, there were 3 of them but one was 81, still going strong, I found out later when I went back to the dealer, he was the biz owner. They had a trailer full of appliances to deliver, like 10-12 more. At $65 a crack I think someone was making some money.

wander

Post by wander » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:17 pm

Costco pays its employees well. I wonder why I need to tip the delivery men.

Miles131

Post by Miles131 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:19 pm

We live in chicago. I generally tip $20 each when things go well. Especially when they are contract employees and probably paid by the installation or delivery. I also offer a cold drink and use of the BR. That goes back to my CPA days when some people didn’t offer those common courtesies.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:43 pm

wander wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:17 pm
Costco pays its employees well. I wonder why I need to tip the delivery men.
Well, in this case the delivery person is not an employee of Costco but typically a subcontractor of a subcontractor. But that doesn't necessarily mean that I disagree with whether it's necessary to tip.

As it so happens I had a dishwasher delivered today that I purchased from Costco. The delivery agent was JB Hunt but when I asked the delivery person who he worked for he named another company. I didn't see their truck. I asked if they subcontracted with JBH and he said they did.

Delivery, haul-away, disposal and installation (including parts) were included in Costco's price of but I was required to have the old dishwasher un-installed in order to receive the haul-away, disposal and installation. I removed the dishwasher this morning and due to how it had been installed it was a pain and took me a frustrating 1-hour plus for what should have been a 15 minute job. But it got done with only one busted knuckle. :annoyed
"
When the delivery guys came they were VERY efficient. They obviously did this regularly, which pleased me. I asked them how many they installed per week and they said "hundreds" (probably appliances in total I'm guessing), mostly in brand new homes. They unloaded the new dishwasher, loaded the old one and then installed the new one and gave it a quick test all within 20 minutes.

The thought of tipping crossed my mind but I didn't. I must admit that the fact that I had to struggle so much with getting my old unit out which means that I did 80% of the work heavily influenced my final decision. I was very happy with the efficiency of the work done by the installers but didn't see the need to tip.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau