Negotiating on this Specific Truck

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
KandT

Negotiating on this Specific Truck

Post by KandT » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:58 pm

Thanks Boglehead Community! Paying cash for this and no debt as an aside.

How do I figure out a reasonable offer for this truck?

https://www.courtesyforddirect.com/new/ ... epth=27:63

I am willing to buy this truck but I haven't bought a vehicle (other than a Tesla) in so long my skills are woefully out of date.

I am in sales so no situation will make me feel uncomfortable.

Much appreciated and Happy Labor Day! :sharebeer

Longruninvestor

Re: Negotiating on this Specific Truck

Post by Longruninvestor » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:52 pm

The F150 forum is an excellent resource to pick up tips for buying a Ford truck. The “under invoice” thread is a goldmine:

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/just-tel ... 14/index5/

If you can manage to plow your way through a few hundred posts starting around 3051 you will get a thorough primer on how to play the negotiating game with Ford. One tip: Ford hands out private cash offers (PCOs) to individuals which are on top of all the regular factory and dealer incentives that they give to anyone who walks in off the street. Advertisers conduct surveillance when potential customers search the web, and Ford targets PCOs at truck buyers with no brand loyalty. Act like one of those people and be obvious about it —no incognito mode surfing and fill up your cache with cookies from Ford dealers and one or two other competitive dealer(s). It’s like fishing. Be patient and throw the little offers back. Ford will dangle a few hundred bucks at first but over time they will go higher. It’s an interesting game.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:56 am

KandT wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:58 pm
How do I figure out a reasonable offer for this truck?
I usually use a website like Truecar or similar to get an idea of what people are paying for the particular vehicle and trim level I'm interested in. Those sites give you a range and I always start negotiating well south of the lowest part of the range. After making my first offer, I always let them do the talking for awhile and usually they keep lowering their price. I will just say non-committal things like that is more than I was budgeting, I think I can get a better deal elsewhere, etc. They will generally lower their price several times without me even counter offering. Eventually I just say, this is my price and if it isn't enough, I'm leaving. Sometimes they will honor it, sometimes they will counteroffer one more time, occasionally they will let me walk. Almost always if they let me walk, they will call me back in a day or two with another offer.

Another tactic I use when at a stalemate where they won't come down on price is asking for free servicing, free car washes, have options thrown in, etc.

tydas

Post by tydas » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:37 am

I think you start asking other dealers how much they will sell a similar truck for, prices amoung dealers can vary a lot even in the same region.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:46 am

Click on the “Get Today’s Price” button on that website. At some point, someone will contact you. Tell them you are interested in that truck but also looking at a couple of others as well. Maybe take a test drive but tell them you’ve got to look at a couple others at other dealers you are also working with. Use advice above to get target prices for that model and then get a couple of offers from different dealers and negotiate down until you get to what you feel is a good price. I find it’s not worth the effort to extract the last couple hundred dollars on a deal so when you get to a reasonable price, make the deal.

zimmer0

Post by zimmer0 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:32 am

$12k off sticker isnt a bad deal but some minor wiggle room is definitely there.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:36 am

Do you tow? I would want the EcoBoost if you tow anything with some weight. The V8 just doesn't have the snort.

There isn't much room for negotiation with our Ford dealer. They price at dealer invoice and then take off all the various discounts and offers. Make sure you qualify for the discounts. Some may not be available for everyone.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:40 am

zimmer0 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:32 am
$12k off sticker isnt a bad deal but some minor wiggle room is definitely there.
I tend to agree here and I'm a really strong negotiator when it comes to buying vehicles. I might offer a couple g's less and wiggle up from there. Try to get some all-weather mats and spray in bedliner thrown in. If you really want that truck, then get it. (It's a beauty, btw, excellent color. :beer )
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

Rudedog

Post by Rudedog » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:57 am

I generally include the sales tax and fees in my offer, such as" $ 35,000 out the door". Then I resist all their accessory and extended warranty offers, and write the check for $ 35,000. I buy Weathertech mats. Don't be afraid to walk, there are plenty of trucks for sale. What does one of these sell for when it is two or three years old ?

ernieM

Post by ernieM » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:02 am

That's a pretty reasonable price for that truck, esp. the 5.0L motor (395 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque...if the web site I copied is correct). Wiggle a little if you must, but I'd agree with the other poster who suggested a few add-ins instead (mat, bed mat, whatever). In the end, at that price (and with that motor), the truck would be gone in a heartbeat out here. With all the electronics, not purchasing a Ford ESP extended warranty would be a mistake IMHO (we recently purchased a new Ford Explorer....a computer on wheels). Don't purchase from the dealer.....try here [EDIT....sorry, I deleted the link as I believe it's against forum rules...I'll send via pm and re-post if I learn it's otherwise OK]. If it's determined I can't post the website, just check the Ford forums (pick one, but I use the Ford truck forums) but be sure you're purchasing the Ford (factory) ESP warranty.
Last edited by ernieM on Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

steadyhand

Post by steadyhand » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:07 am

I do not trust manufacturers who seek $12k below sticker. Makes a mockery of sticker prices and their meaning :annoyed

Those who know their worth and stick to it are better IMHO.

zlandar

Post by zlandar » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:34 am

I ask for driveout or out-the-door pricing quotes from multiple dealers. Most car makers will let you build your vehicle on their websites and will ask if you want to be contacted by nearby local dealers. I pick multiple dealers within 50 miles and get quotes by email.

Invoice pricing is made-up pricing IMO. A dealer has plenty of wiggle room to add all kinds of made up fees. With a driveout quote the bottom line is all that matters.

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:24 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:36 am
Do you tow? I would want the EcoBoost if you tow anything with some weight. The V8 just doesn't have the snort.
The ecoboost and V8 have almost the same HP. The ecoboost has a touch more torque.

However in this test , they performed almost identical. The V8 got better gas mileage though.

http://youtu.be/k8CafR1YxqE
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

Topic Author
KandT

Post by KandT » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:56 pm

For what it is worth, I thought I would post my results.

Shopping on the internet is great but getting inside and test driving is another. I went with an F250 Diesel crewcab.

They were not as heavily discounted off sticker as the F150's OR their stickers aren't jacked up and then discounted like the F150's (either way).

I ended up buying it for 14.5% off of sticker.

When we got down to brass tacks and I was ready to sign I said that as part of the deal I didn't want to have to listen to the extended warranty pitch. They politely obliged and I was out of there fairly quickly as I was paying cash. Didn't ask me for a cashiers check and I was dressed like a bum (as usual).

I always feel I could have done better BUT I will keep this truck for 10-15 years. That to me is where the big savings comes in that I can take good care of it and I will likely have only nuisance problems while I own it. It is also a blast to drive with 450 horses and 935 pounds of torque. Not as fast as a Tesla but for a 7000 pound pick up - It picks up!

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:14 pm

KandT wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:56 pm
For what it is worth, I thought I would post my results.

Shopping on the internet is great but getting inside and test driving is another. I went with an F250 Diesel crewcab.

They were not as heavily discounted off sticker as the F150's OR their stickers aren't jacked up and then discounted like the F150's (either way).

I ended up buying it for 14.5% off of sticker.

When we got down to brass tacks and I was ready to sign I said that as part of the deal I didn't want to have to listen to the extended warranty pitch. They politely obliged and I was out of there fairly quickly as I was paying cash. Didn't ask me for a cashiers check and I was dressed like a bum (as usual).

I always feel I could have done better BUT I will keep this truck for 10-15 years. That to me is where the big savings comes in that I can take good care of it and I will likely have only nuisance problems while I own it. It is also a blast to drive with 450 horses and 935 pounds of torque. Not as fast as a Tesla but for a 7000 pound pick up - It picks up!
Congrats. Love the color. Now go over to the F150forum and post your pics.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

hudson

Post by hudson » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:50 am

KandT wrote:

When we got down to brass tacks and I was ready to sign I said that as part of the deal I didn't want to have to listen to the extended warranty pitch.
I need to remember to copy your idea. On my last vehicle purchase, the back office guy worked me over pretty good on the extended warranty. He was a great salesman. A non-boglehead would have bitten. I just kept repeating, "I don't buy extended warranties." After 15 minutes, he got up an left; he came back with another very nice gentleman who continued the pitch. He was also a great salesman; they both finally gave up on me. That'll never happen again because I'll use the KandT method!
KandT wrote:
It is also a blast to drive with 450 horses and 935 pounds of torque. Not as fast as a Tesla but for a 7000 pound pick up - It picks up!
YES!

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:32 am

steadyhand wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:07 am
I do not trust manufacturers who seek $12k below sticker. Makes a mockery of sticker prices and their meaning :annoyed

Those who know their worth and stick to it are better IMHO.
Then you will never buy a pickup truck, or you will choose to get ripped off. There's always $10-15k on the hood of full-size pickups, regardless of brand. The profit margins on them at sticker are mind-boggling.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:33 am

I wonder if the dealer's IT people track "clicks" on specific URLs such as the one in the OP. "Oh, look! Lots of people all over the country are looking at this particular truck! We won't have to discount it so much with so many interested potential buyers!"
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

jw424

Post by jw424 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:51 pm

I have a friend who use to sell new cars. Unless next years models were out his initial offer was 25% OFF MSRP. "That was out the door." His goal was 18 to 20 percent out the door. He claimed he was usually successful but it too time

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:42 pm

jw424 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:51 pm
I have a friend who use to sell new cars. Unless next years models were out his initial offer was 25% OFF MSRP. "That was out the door." His goal was 18 to 20 percent out the door. He claimed he was usually successful but it too time
It highly depends on the car and which salesperson you work with. For some cars that just isn't going to happen. F-150s seem to sell for a large discount though. Which I find surprising considering the F-150 outsells every other car and it outsells the Camry by more than 2x. It would appear that Ford understands marketing.

Topic Author
KandT

Post by KandT » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:54 pm

jw424 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:51 pm
One thing I have always found to be 100% true when buying a vehicle. Your friend beat out a better deal! :wink: :wink: