[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ruralavalon

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:18 am

Jane the Virgin, on Netflix.

This is 100 episodes of 42 minutes each, a telenovela-style show with odd but interesting characters, amazing plot twists, and lots of surprises. My wife loved it, and I tolerated it.

The show centers on three women, granddaughter, mother and grandmother in Miami, and their relationships.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:54 am

Orange is the New Black, Series 7, on Netflix. This is the final season and I just watched the first episode. So far, I'm not impressed.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

hale2

Post by hale2 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:46 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:54 am
Orange is the New Black, Series 7, on Netflix. This is the final season and I just watched the first episode. So far, I'm not impressed.
Agreed. We liked the previous seasons but gave up on this season after the 3rd episode.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:00 pm

The Dark Crystal:Age of Resistance

If you enjoyed the 1982 Jim Henson Movie "The Dark Crystal", you'll love this Netflix series. We loved it.

It's a prequel to the 1982 movie.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:43 pm

Power on Starz. It’s not close to The Wire or Breaking Bad, but it’s an entertaining show about drug dealers.

DMW

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:49 am

Perry Mason reruns. Love the late Barbara Hale (Della Street).

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:03 am

Blue Bloods and The Andy Griffith Show.

Mister A

Post by Mister A » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:58 am

Started "On Becoming a God in Central Florida", a dark comedy about MLMs in the late '80s/early '90s. Entertaining so far.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:22 pm

hale2 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:46 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Agreed. We liked the previous seasons but gave up on this season after the 3rd episode.
I'm most of the way through Season 7. Although a few plots seem contrived, there is enough variation to keep me interested. The writers assume you know the show will end and adjust the plot accordingly. The dialog and plot twists are decent.

What I really don't like is taking an obvious stand on social issues. That's not why I watch a show, as you get past that very quickly. It's the plot, production quality, and dialog that keep me interested. There are several dramatic moments that reminded me why this series was the reason I joined Netflix in the first place.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

siamond

Post by siamond » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 pm

lostdog wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:00 pm
The Dark Crystal:Age of Resistance

If you enjoyed the 1982 Jim Henson Movie "The Dark Crystal", you'll love this Netflix series. We loved it.

It's a prequel to the 1982 movie.
A truly unique movie that stayed deeply imprinted in my 20-something memory... Currently watching the series. First episode made me cringe a bit, but then the magic started working again and expands one episode after another.

The plot is very thin (like in the movie), but the creativity (the various creatures and the world surrounding them) is astounding. And you just can't help, but identify with those cute gelflings and the irresistible pod people. Hup!

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:19 pm

American Greed on CNBC.
John C. Bogle: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:53 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:09 am
ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:50 am
mak1277 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:05 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:56 am
mak1277 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:48 am

Definitely entertaining...sometimes a little too over the top for me, but it's worth a watch.
A lot of people really enjoy it. I find the acting and writing over the top. I find it unwatchable.
Having recently caught up on "Succession", I would recommend that show before "Billions".
Ugh. We found "Succession" totally unbearable.

Billions.. we still enjoy it, but as is common, as seasons went on, things started to go a bit over the top at times. I guess they run out of non-weird plot lines.
One amusing thing are the occasional cameos of real-life finance honchos.

RM
We are loving "Succession". Some of the characters are fascinating (Roman and Greg in particular). Then again there are people in this thread saying "Sons of Anarchy" is one of the best shows ever (IMO, it might be the worst) and are heaping similar praise on "The Americans" (not SOA bad, but IMO below mediocre). Interesting to see the differences in likes and dislikes.
Many people struggled with the subtlety and the Shakespearean themes of Sons of Anarchy. And that's OK. That is why there are many many types of shows for many types of people. SOA is an acquired taste that not all get.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:56 am

Being off work this summer I decided to temporarily subscribe to HBO and watch a couple highly touted series that pretty much everyone has seen but me...Game of Thrones and Deadwood.

I enjoyed both but wouldn't say either would make my all time top 10 list or anything like that. I was hooked on the storyline with GOT and found myself using an interactive map of Westeros to keep track of who was invading what, but I didn't care that much for most of the characters. With Deadwood I was intrigued by the personalities of the characters, but didn't find the story that interesting.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:38 am

bengal22 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:53 pm
Many people struggled with the subtlety and the Shakespearean themes of Sons of Anarchy. And that's OK. That is why there are many many types of shows for many types of people. SOA is an acquired taste that not all get.
My wife apparently “got” SoA, and I gritted my teeth and watched along, because TV is something we do together. I’ll take your word for the subtlety (I still think you might be joking about the subtlety, but ...). I did enjoy playing the SoA drinking game, where I took a shot of iced tea every time Jax said “I promise” with that look 👀 and people believed him, disregarding his history of 0% follow through. He did always emote feeling bad when he didn’t keep a promise, so there’s that :D
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:59 am

I'm late to the Peaky Blinders thing went through the first 2 seasons quickly. Starting season 3 (only 6 episodes per season). It's up there on my list of favorite shows, wife isn't as enamoured with it as I am but she does like it quite a bit.

Also watching Mindhunter season 2.

Also got into the Affair recently, not bad but getting a bit weird.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:01 am

We recently introduced our kids to Peaky Blinders, so watched the first few episodes with them. It is definitely worth a second viewing after a sufficient time.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:02 am

MNGopher wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:56 am
Being off work this summer I decided to temporarily subscribe to HBO and watch a couple highly touted series that pretty much everyone has seen but me...Game of Thrones and Deadwood.

I enjoyed both but wouldn't say either would make my all time top 10 list or anything like that. I was hooked on the storyline with GOT and found myself using an interactive map of Westeros to keep track of who was invading what, but I didn't care that much for most of the characters. With Deadwood I was intrigued by the personalities of the characters, but didn't find the story that interesting.
GoT was entertaining but won't make my top list either (I'm a fan of the books too).

Deadwood on the other hand definitely makes my top 10.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:07 am

MNGopher wrote:

Both the story (if not all the details) and the characters are real. Note also the Lyrics of The Beatle's Rocky Racoon:
  • Now somewhere in the Black Mining Hills of Dakota ...
Well that's where Deadwood, a gold mining town, was located. It had a couple of saloons. The Gem was owned by Al Swearengen and frequented by the likes of Wild Bill Hickok, Wyatt Earp, Calamity Jane, and others in the show. The plot lines, costumes and street scenes were based on contemporary newspaper stories and photographs.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:27 am

bertilak wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:07 am
MNGopher wrote:

Both the story (if not all the details) and the characters are real. Note also the Lyrics of The Beatle's Rocky Racoon:
  • Now somewhere in the Black Mining Hills of Dakota ...
Well that's where Deadwood, a gold mining town, was located. It had a couple of saloons. The Gem was owned by Al Swearengen and frequented by the likes of Wild Bill Hickok, Wyatt Earp, Calamity Jane, and others in the show. The plot lines, costumes and street scenes were based on contemporary newspaper stories and photographs.
I've been to Deadwood a few times before I watched the series. I was disappointed how quickly they killed off Bill, as Keith Carradine is one of my favorite actors. The dialect was quite interesting, once you get past the profanity. I found myself wondering if people of that era really spoke that way.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:48 am

Gunsmoke....watch it every night....doesn't get any better than this...well...maybe Yankee baseball!

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:54 am

MNGopher wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:27 am
I found myself wondering if people of that era really spoke that way.
I have little doubt they spoke that way. Try living in an all-male college dormitory in a middle-of-nowhere town where the drinking age (not that anyone paid much attention) was 18, and 20-below winters kept us cooped up. We used the F word and its variants (f'n this and f'n that) like some use "ya know" as a space filler. The Deadwood characters, with professional writers behind them, were much better at it than we were. Even so we did come up with some good stuff! Two adjacent dorms had loudly-shouted "profanity wars" with each other, giving us a chance to get creative. Boys will be boys.
Last edited by bertilak on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:56 am

Finished Season 2 of Tin Star on Amazon last night. Not top shelf, but DW & I enjoyed it. Looking forward to Season 3.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:03 am

Just watched Wiseguy from the late 80s. Seasons 1-3 with Ken Wahl were excellent.

Really enjoy the programs on Acorn like- Wire In The Blood, Midsomer Murders, London Kills, Good Karma Hospital, The Indian Doctor, Foyles War (again), Kingdom and various documentaries.

On Netflix, The Five, Great British Baking Show and Safe. Also Street Food, which is about street food but with a focus about the background of people that run them. The current area they are in is s/e Asia, very interesting show.

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:55 pm

bertilak wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:54 am
MNGopher wrote:
I have little doubt they spoke that way. Try living in an all-male college dormitory in a middle-of-nowhere town where the drinking age (not that anyone paid much attention) was 18, and 20-below winters kept us cooped up. We used the F word and its variants (f'n this and f'n that) like some use "ya know" as a space filler. The Deadwood characters, with professional writers behind them, were much better at it than we were. Even so we did come up with some good stuff! Two adjacent dorms had loudly-shouted "profanity wars" with each other, giving us a chance to get creative. Boys will be boys.
Oh I'm sure they swore a lot but between the F's and CS'ers the dialect was quite formal and complex, even eloquent. Much different than what we hear from traditional western actors like John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, James Arness, etc.

queso

Post by queso » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:21 pm

MNGopher wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:55 pm
bertilak wrote:
MNGopher wrote:
Oh I'm sure they swore a lot but between the F's and CS'ers the dialect was quite formal and complex, even eloquent. Much different than what we hear from traditional western actors like John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, James Arness, etc.
I can't recall the source, but I read somewhere that they did a lot of research into the dialect and phraseology of the place and time and tried to recreate it as accurately as possible. Could have been hogwash, but knowing HBO they do tend to try to be thorough when they do stuff.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:08 pm

MNGopher wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:55 pm
bertilak wrote:
MNGopher wrote:
True, they (or at least the writers) had a good command of the language. I think whatever education people of that day were able to get had a major focus on classical literature.

hale2

Post by hale2 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:55 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:22 pm
hale2 wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:
I'm most of the way through Season 7. Although a few plots seem contrived, there is enough variation to keep me interested. The writers assume you know the show will end and adjust the plot accordingly. The dialog and plot twists are decent.

What I really don't like is taking an obvious stand on social issues. That's not why I watch a show, as you get past that very quickly. It's the plot, production quality, and dialog that keep me interested. There are several dramatic moments that reminded me why this series was the reason I joined Netflix in the first place.
It was the over the top focus on political/social issues that made us stop watching. Previous seasons had some of that, but it wasn't excessive and seemed to work well with that particular season's storyline.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:46 am

hale2 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:55 am
LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:22 pm
hale2 wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:

It was the over the top focus on political/social issues that made us stop watching. Previous seasons had some of that, but it wasn't excessive and seemed to work well with that particular season's storyline.
Great show at the beginning but like many lost its way after the first few seasons.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:15 am

Watched "The Spy" on Netflix. True story of an Israeli spy in the 1960s, starring the Borat guy in a serious role. It was good.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:22 pm

abner kravitz wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:15 am
Watched "The Spy" on Netflix. True story of an Israeli spy in the 1960s, starring the Borat guy in a serious role. It was good.
Were you able to "overcome" images of "the Borat guy" while watching him in a serious role?
I've occasionally had difficulties when an actor who was "so well known" as one character (or type) suddenly shows up in a totally different type of role. It seems with "Borat", it might be very difficult indeed. And he's done more than just "Borat", but what we've seen have all been of that "type".

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:29 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:22 pm
abner kravitz wrote:
Were you able to "overcome" images of "the Borat guy" while watching him in a serious role?
I've occasionally had difficulties when an actor who was "so well known" as one character (or type) suddenly shows up in a totally different type of role. It seems with "Borat", it might be very difficult indeed. And he's done more than just "Borat", but what we've seen have all been of that "type".

RM
I saw Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean) as Maigret in several TV movies. I thought I was going to have that trouble but he did such a good job it never mattered. I recommend his Maigret shows.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:35 pm

bertilak wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:29 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
abner kravitz wrote:
I saw Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean) as Maigret in several TV movies. I thought I was going to have that trouble but he did such a good job it never mattered. I recommend his Maigret shows.
Good luck trying not to giggle at Michael C. Hall (Dexter) putting forth a British accent in Safe. Side question: is it my imagination, or are British actors much better at American accents than the other way around?

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:46 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:35 pm
bertilak wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
abner kravitz wrote:
Good luck trying not to giggle at Michael C. Hall (Dexter) putting forth a British accent in Safe. Side question: is it my imagination, or are British actors much better at American accents than the other way around?
I guess I'm pretty forgiving with accents. I've lived in a few places in the US to have gotten used to more than one "American English" accent!

I have heard (read) that American English is closer to 18th century British English than what is spoken in England today. In a sense we Americans are the ones with the purest English and the least accent! That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:56 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:35 pm
bertilak wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
abner kravitz wrote:
We both remember being totally startled when Hugh Laurie (aks "House") was on some talk show, and... he did NOT have an "American" accent. It was quite something; at first, we thought he was mimicking a "British" accent, but no....!

We've since listened more carefully when we catch an odd re-run, and we just can't "catch him" slipping up, even when we are trying to catch even a hint of it.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:51 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
abner kravitz wrote:

RM
Yes, he was actually good and really didn't remind me of Borat or any of his other stuff.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:18 pm

The Boys, on Amazon prime. A creative spin on the old "evil corporate empire" plot. It's not the best show ever, but is a nice change of pace. The show is categorized as soap-opera satire, I would agree.

FYI - I did finish Orange is the New Black. The incessant need to make political / social issue commentary is highly annoying and degrades from the otherwise excellent dialogue and plot twists. Other than that, I thought the final season was worth watching.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:19 am

A Very Brady Renovation. :P

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Shameless on Netflix - my only gripe is sometimes they lean too heavily on explicit scenes. The plots are tough and the characters do such horrible/dumb things it makes you want to strangle them which is maybe why I like it.

Killing Eve on Hulu - started watching this on the plane back from Pennsylvania and enjoyed the first two episodes, can't wait to continue.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:16 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:56 pm
Shameless on Netflix - my only gripe is sometimes they lean too heavily on explicit scenes. The plots are tough and the characters do such horrible/dumb things it makes you want to strangle them which is maybe why I like it.

Whenever I feel a little down about my own life, I watch an episode or two of Shameless, and suddenly I feel a lot better about myself. :)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:17 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:18 pm
The Boys, on Amazon prime. A creative spin on the old "evil corporate empire" plot. It's not the best show ever, but is a nice change of pace. The show is categorized as soap-opera satire, I would agree.

FYI - I did finish Orange is the New Black. The incessant need to make political / social issue commentary is highly annoying and degrades from the otherwise excellent dialogue and plot twists. Other than that, I thought the final season was worth watching.
I decided to binge watch The Boys and finished the season. The plot turned dark as the episodes progressed, but the drama and plot twists kept my interest.

Some of the political aspects still bugged me, especially when a few well-known companies were mentioned in their real-life roles.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:30 pm

Poldark, bbc, on Amazon so far is good.

I finally watched Californification to completion before it went off netflix. Surprisingly enjoyed it. Didn’t lke one character addition in the last season.

I remember Wiseguy from years ago and enjoyed it. Not sure how well it ages since its been decades.

Finally saw the series finale of Magnum PI and it was pretty bad. Although nothing tops the horrible finale of Wonder Years. It was as if they wanted to ruin the show in reruns.

I haven’t had cable tv for several months and don’t really miss it much.

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:45 pm

rich126 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:30 pm
Finally saw the series finale of Magnum PI and it was pretty bad. Although nothing tops the horrible finale of Wonder Years. It was as if they wanted to ruin the show in reruns.
It's been a while since I saw the finales of Magnum and Wonder Years. Were they worse than the finales of Lost and How I Met Your Mother?

ObThread: I've been binge-watching JAG.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:07 am

MandyT wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:45 pm
rich126 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:30 pm
It's been a while since I saw the finales of Magnum and Wonder Years. Were they worse than the finales of Lost and How I Met Your Mother?

ObThread: I've been binge-watching JAG.
I'd rather not ruin it for anyone, although I guess it has been decades :D

I think Magnum's issue was that they thought they would be going off air the previous season but instead came back for one more season. Also the final season Tom Selleck had more involved in the show which, if true, wasn't a good idea.

Wonder Years was a great show that as a male I could relate to. One scene had him staring at the phone as he contemplated calling a girl for a date. You see him staring at it as his mind imagined all kinds of bad scenarios happening, then they showed the hours going by on the clock.

Unfortunately the final episode had a lot of events in it that as a viewer I didn't see a need for and it was pretty sad and very unnecessary for a comedy show to have.

Only episode of Lost I saw was the very first one. How I Met Your Mother was a show I watched but the show was only good when Robin and Ted were together, otherwise it was generally bad. And as one critic one stated "It is kind of tough on a show when the supposedly main character is the weakest actor on the show". As good as Neil Patrick Harris was, him and Robin together just wasn't good for the show.

KSOC

Re: Hap and Leonard

Post by KSOC » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:17 am

telemark wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:22 pm
I haven't read that much of Joe R. Lansdale's copious writings, but I've always enjoyed them when I did. Had I known there was a TV series based on his eponymous characters--for example, if Netflix had bothered to inform me of this instead of incessantly plugging their own mediocre offerings--I would have been watching it long ago. As it is, I happened to read an old review of Blood and Lemonade in which the reviewer happened to mention, as an afterthought, that there is now a series you can stream, and I traced it down to Netflix. Good job, Netflix, with the whole recommendation algorithm thing!

Rants aside, it's there, I know it's there, you know it's there, and it's worth watching.
This show is awesome & I'm very disappointed AMC canceled after 3 seasons.(Author Joe R. Lansdale, on whose book series the show is based, broke the news on social media: "Hap and Leonard officially canceled. Sundance's highest-rated show, 100 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.)
Too soon old, too late smart.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:59 am

I'm just a few episodes into Life on Mars. No spoilers please!

"Am I mad, in a coma, or back in time?" -- our protagonist's opening line. He gets hit by a car in 2006 and wakes up (?) in 1973 Manchester England, his home town. The time-travel aspect is not the major focus of the show (no theories on how it might be possible, no thoughts about inherent paradoxes). It just focuses on how someone from 2006 might find 1973 -- especialy if that someone is a police officer -- and has those questions.

I like it a lot -- perhaps because 1973 is quite familiar to me and the show plays straight with this. I can see my 1973 self right then and there as an extra, feeling right at home, except that I have never been in England.

The show is well done even if all you want out of it is a period police show. In truth, that's mostly what makes it interesting. The rest is kind of like hot peppers in mexican cuisine. (Our hero surprises a 1973 friend with such a home-cooked meal.)

Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:01 am

bob60014 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:03 am
Really enjoy the programs on Acorn like- Wire In The Blood, Midsomer Murders, London Kills, Good Karma Hospital, The Indian Doctor, Foyles War (again), Kingdom and various documentaries.
Another entertaining series currently on Acorn is Murdoch Mysteries. The stories rely on fictionalized history and occur in Toronto, circa 1900, implementing what was then considered new technology/inventions (the first episode details a murder revolving around the AC/DC electrification debate). The good acting, set design and often humorous writing make for enjoyable entertainment.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:02 am

Frugal Al wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:01 am
bob60014 wrote:
Another entertaining series currently on Acorn is Murdoch Mysteries. The stories rely on fictionalized history and occur in Toronto, circa 1900, implementing what was then considered new technology/inventions (the first episode details a murder revolving around the AC/DC electrification debate). The good acting, set design and often humorous writing make for enjoyable entertainment.
Good show. I'm awaiting more episodes. Favorite character: Constable George Crabtree, even when he is crazy wrong!

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:15 am

Frugal Al wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:01 am
bob60014 wrote:

It's been on our watch list, just need to get to it! Thanks

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:40 am

Just finished True Detective season 3 and thought it was great. Better than season 2 but a tad below season 1. The 3 time frame structure and the mental issues with the main character was interesting.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

DoubleBogey1

Post by DoubleBogey1 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:42 am

Mind hunter