Fidelity Total International Index Fund VS Fidelity Global ex-US Index Fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
fortfun

Fidelity Total International Index Fund VS Fidelity Global ex-US Index Fund

Post by fortfun » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:21 pm

Working on DWs portfolio. What should she choose for international? It is mostly in the global fund. Should I move that to Tot. International? What do Bogleheads recommend? Looks like Tot Int has small cap and global doesn't.

This is through DW's work place and she doesn't have access to Vanguard or many of Fidelity's choices. These are the 2 international funds that she can pick from.
Last edited by fortfun on Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vulcan

Re: Fidelity Total International Index Fund VS Fidelity Global ex-US Index Fund

Post by Vulcan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:24 pm

fortfun wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:21 pm
Working on DWs portfolio. What should she choose for international? It is mostly in the global fund. Should I move that to Tot. International? What do Bogleheads recommend? Looks like Tot Int has small cap and global doesn't.
VTWAX has all world in one fund.
You have to hold it at Vanguard, though, to avoid paying commissions.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:32 pm

Vulcan wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:24 pm
fortfun wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:21 pm
Sorry, should have clarified that this is through DWs work and they don't give her the all world one fund, sadly.

pokebowl

Post by pokebowl » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:46 pm

Vulcan wrote:

Just one note, VTWAX has everything but micro-caps, where as owning a total market and total international individually would include those. That being said, the inclusion or not of micro-cap probably doesn't move the needle much, if at all.

With regards to Fidelity funds in the original question, whats the difference between the two expense wise? If I recall the global fund is an older fund that pre-dates a total international offering. I see no issue swapping it out if it meets your desired allocation.
Nullius in verba.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:02 pm

I'd go with Total International. The expenses should be about the same (for 'investor' shares, 6bp for Total and 5.5 for Global ex-US), and getting ex-US small caps is worth the exceedingly slight difference in ER.

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:22 pm

pokebowl wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:46 pm
Vulcan wrote:

Just one note, VTWAX has everything but micro-caps, where as owning a total market and total international individually would include those. That being said, the inclusion or not of micro-cap probably doesn't move the needle much, if at all.

With regards to Fidelity funds in the original question, whats the difference between the two expense wise? If I recall the global fund is an older fund that pre-dates a total international offering. I see no issue swapping it out if it meets your desired allocation.
Thanks Pokebowl.

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:23 pm

Whakamole wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:02 pm
I'd go with Total International. The expenses should be about the same (for 'investor' shares, 6bp for Total and 5.5 for Global ex-US), and getting ex-US small caps is worth the exceedingly slight difference in ER.
Thanks Whakamole.

jakehefty17

Post by jakehefty17 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:17 am

Whakamole wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:02 pm
+1
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." -Charles Bukowski