Streaming basic TV with DVR

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Streaming basic TV with DVR

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:26 pm

I don't need a lot of channels - just the majors (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) would be fine (mostly for sports), but I would like to DVR some things. I'm not in a good area for an antenna. Any recommendations for streaming services that offer basic packages with DVR?

Silk McCue

Re: Streaming basic TV with DVR

Post by Silk McCue » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:06 pm

I Googled this for you and it appears that Sling TV Blue at $25 per month with DVR and Local Channels (check to make certain they are available where you live).

https://www.sling.com

Cheers

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:28 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:06 pm
I Googled this for you and it appears that Sling TV Blue at $25 per month with DVR and Local Channels (check to make certain they are available where you live).

https://www.sling.com

Cheers
Doesn't look like locals are available for me with Sling.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:48 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:28 pm

Doesn't look like locals are available for me with Sling.
Sorry to hear that.

Review this article and consider what might work for you. We stream using PlayStation Vue (a PlayStation isn’t required) and are happy with it.

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-live-tv- ... d-cutters/

Cheers

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:21 pm

We tried Sling and Hulu with Live TV. Those were the services that had our locals at the time. They were fine though I was not thrilled with either UI. Both seemed to satisfy your requirements if they would have your locals. We actually ended up back with Comcast who had by then introduced a streaming only service with 10 hours of cloud DVR. I do not know what they call it now but it was called Instant TV.

I don’t know if any other internet providers have similar offerings. And sometimes the cable company offers a small cheap basic package that you must ask about and is not publicized anywhere.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:41 am

This article discusses several options.
https://www.techhive.com/article/329127 ... ained.html

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:48 am

Thanks all. Looks like most services are around $50 / month. I'm currently paying $28 for all the channels I want (but no DVR) so I think I'll just stick with what I have.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:08 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:48 am
Thanks all. Looks like most services are around $50 / month. I'm currently paying $28 for all the channels I want (but no DVR) so I think I'll just stick with what I have.
What service are you currently using?

Cheers

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:12 am

Whenever I miss a show on the basic networks because my DVR didn't record it, I just go online and watch it for free on their network website.

Para45

Post by Para45 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:45 am

I bought a Clear Stream antenna about 4 years ago( $100 ) and $30 of coaxial . It pulls in all the major channels plus PBS and 20 ? others from the transmission towers about 38 miles away. Also bought a Channel Master DVR, thinking that was about $80 , and have been good to go since. No other costs/fees since...

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:51 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:08 am
ThankYouJack wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:48 am
What service are you currently using?

Cheers
Spectrum Choice. I'm able to stream all the locals plus I think 10 or 20 channels of my choice so I chose NFL Network, ESPN, Comedy Central, and a few that my spouse like.

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:19 am

I have had Hulu live for about a month and love it. I considered sling, but you have to have an antenna to get local channels. Hulu live has the local channels. You need to check your location though as all locals may not be available.

It's only $45 a month, compared to $120 for cable, and it has all the channels we want and none of the ones we don't. Plus the ability to record. Plus you get access to Hulus movie and network library. So we dropped Netflix too.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

rterickson

Post by rterickson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:06 pm

YouTube TV has the local networks in most markets plus lots of sports for ~ $50 per month.

Their unlimited DVR is pretty well regarded.

bh7785

Post by bh7785 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:40 pm

YouTube TV and don't even look back. It's fantastic. There is a free trial.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:50 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:51 am

Spectrum Choice. I'm able to stream all the locals plus I think 10 or 20 channels of my choice so I chose NFL Network, ESPN, Comedy Central, and a few that my spouse like.
When I Google Spectrum Choice DVR it appears to indicate that DVR is possible for a nominal fee. Have you called Spectrum to ask them if DVR service is available with your solution?

Cheers

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:42 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:50 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:51 am

When I Google Spectrum Choice DVR it appears to indicate that DVR is possible for a nominal fee. Have you called Spectrum to ask them if DVR service is available with your solution?

Cheers
I'll have to give them a call. I didn't see when I logged into my account but it seems like they have "quietly" added it. https://www.techhive.com/article/339277 ... mited.html Thanks!

b4real

Post by b4real » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:54 pm

+1 Youtube TV

Para45

Post by Para45 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:43 pm

I think you pay (rent) the DVR box at Spectrum.
Don't forget to add the other fees/taxes/ surcharges/....

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:54 pm

Para45 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:43 pm
Not if it’s cloud storage. The solution is yet to be determined.

Cheers

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:54 pm
Para45 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:43 pm
Not if it’s cloud storage. The solution is yet to be determined.

Cheers
Sprectrum said cloud DVR is $4.99 / month, but I also need streaming services which is $12.99 / month. It's not worth it to me as I don't watch a lot of tv and don't want to spend ~$45-50 / month on it.

Anyway, thanks all for the responses. I'm just going to stick with what I have now. Granted there's no DVR but I didn't realize it was such a good deal.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:46 pm

I've been pondering a variety of streaming options since I currently only have Internet to the house.

Someone mentioned going online to watch the show if they miss it. I think that only works if you already have COMCAST, Cox, etc. In the past when I tried that, it always wants some kind of authorization that you have a paid service (which I don't).

I've been looking at Playstation Vue although that is ~$50 a month, but at least w/o any contracts. For now I'm doing well with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Acorn (for a bunch of british and other shows) and Vudu (for either paid movies, or their free movies with limited ads).

It seems like the major companies try to make this as confusing as possible. My local options are Directv and Cox. Directv requires a 3 yr contract and while I had it years ago, I don't think I need it, especially for the ~$70 a month 3 year commitment. Cox confuses people with all kinds of bundles and/or promo packages. For example one tv package is $50 a month for the first year, requires a 2 yr commitment and goes up to $70 the next year. Uh, why don't they just sell it at $60 a month? Many of their "bundles" include stuff that I don't need and come with a reasonable first year price but the next year is doubled or more. Sorry but streaming Netflix doesn't require 150 Mbps or Gigabit speeds. 30 Mbps for a 1-2 person household is plenty.

And sport options are even worse. There is probably a big demand for someone who only wants to watch one team all year but try doing that with the NFL. Unless you are doing something illegal, it requires subscriptions to a number of channels.

Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:10 pm

I signed up this weekend for the free trial of YoutubeTV this weekend after hearing that they plan to add PBS by year-end 2019. I'm happy with the choice of stations but I have one complaint: I've found navigating from one channel to another is certainly not as easy as changing channels with either DirectTV or cable that let you just enter a channel number into a remote control.

One difference is that the YoutubeTV channels aren't "numbered" the way they are with cable or satellite services. Instead there's a "search" feature with the irritating keyboard for entering the name of the channel you wish. You'd think that YoutubeTV would let you "google" the channel you want (like a search bar within youtubetv).

YoutubeTV users, please share what you've learned about navigating the youtubetv channels. Thanks.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:20 pm

rterickson wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:06 pm
YouTube TV has the local networks in most markets plus lots of sports for ~ $50 per month.

Their unlimited DVR is pretty well regarded.
I love YouTube TV. The DVR has unlimited recording space, and keeps recordings for a year.

One nice feature for me on the DVR is “set and forget”. I like to watch Today Show, but often don’t get to the TV for the beginning. I’ve set Today to be recorded, and it picks up every single days broadcast without additional programming.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:07 pm

Regarding the dvr part of the question:
TiVo now sells “lifetime” subscriptions along with some of their boxes. Sometimes they have sales that make the initial cost more attractive. I got mine about 3 years ago and am now hooked.
Note that “lifetime” refers to the life of the equipment, not you.

I learned about the possibility of getting a TiVo with programming subscription included here on Bogleheads. I set up a Google News search and was soon rewarded with information of a limited-time offer. Now the lifetime subscription is a routine offering, but prices on packages with older equipment may get cut.

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:25 pm

I also have a TiVo box, mine is with a Spectrum cable card. I have no equipment fees and can watch in every room in the house with the mini receivers. It is definitely the best DVR experience available.
Luigi follow only the Ferraris

rterickson

Post by rterickson » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Retired1809 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:10 pm
I signed up this weekend for the free trial of YoutubeTV this weekend after hearing that they plan to add PBS by year-end 2019. I'm happy with the choice of stations but I have one complaint: I've found navigating from one channel to another is certainly not as easy as changing channels with either DirectTV or cable that let you just enter a channel number into a remote control.

One difference is that the YoutubeTV channels aren't "numbered" the way they are with cable or satellite services. Instead there's a "search" feature with the irritating keyboard for entering the name of the channel you wish. You'd think that YoutubeTV would let you "google" the channel you want (like a search bar within youtubetv).

YoutubeTV users, please share what you've learned about navigating the youtubetv channels. Thanks.
Up at the top of your screen there are 3 choices: Library - Home - Live

For reasons I don't understand it sometimes defaults to Home -- which is where you have search options. If you instead navigate to Home, you'll see the full channel listing with what's currently playing on each channel. You still have to scroll down to find what you want, but it easier than a Search box.

No direct entry of channel number though.