Beach City / Town in Florida

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
BGeste

Beach City / Town in Florida

Post by BGeste »

Considering moving to Florida to retire. WIfe and I would like a walkable to restaurants town, with relatively close proximity to the beach.

Sarasota and Naples are on our list. Would appreciate perspective of what it is like to live there and recommendations of other cities we may not be aware of. Pros and cons.

We like the idea of Florida because of low taxes, good housing prices, no winter weather.

Thank you.
manuvns

Re: Beach City / Town in Florida

Post by manuvns »

Tampa Bay area or Jacksonville not pretentious like Miami or dead like Naples
Thanks!
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Get one of those hurricane proof houses, like that one that survived Michael. https://www.popsci.com/hurricane-michae ... gineering/
Gill

Post by Gill »

What do you want to know? I've worked and lived as retired in both the cities you mention for the last 42 years. They are two of the priciest cities in Florida. The closer to the beach the generally the more expensive. Naples tends to be warmer in the Winter and both are about the same in the Summer - hot. Naples is a bit isolated geographically and both have an active cultural life. Both have suffered from overgrowth which continues unabated. There have been countless threads on this forum on this topic.
Gill
Last edited by Gill on Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

You have quite a choice from Pensacola to north of Jacksonville following the coast. I have enjoyed Sebastian, Key West, Pensacola, Panama City Beach, Seaside, Venice, Longboat Key, St. Petersburg, Tarpon Springs, just to name a few. I like the show Beachfront Bargain and they showed an interesting trio of houses on Matlacha.

Those hurricanes add some thrill to near the beach Florida living.
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

What I have found helpful is to visit as many areas of Florida as you can. DW and I continue to explore and are still undecided, including spending time in Naples and the Tampa area. We prefer the west coast "vibe" but none of the places we've visited clicked. We have also looked at the east coast of Florida from the space coast area north. Many areas are crowded and beach access restricted. Our criteria includes access to good healthcare and an airport. Good luck with your search.
puravida

Post by puravida »

I'd recommend New Smyrna Beach & Ponce Inlet on the east coast. Beautiful beaches, great restaurants, affordable housing.
Simple, passive, effective - the Bogle way...
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

manuvns wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:54 pm Tampa Bay area or Jacksonville not pretentious like Miami or dead like Naples
One of the things about Naples is you can walk into almost any restaurant at 7:30/8:00 and get a table - if they aren't about to close the kitchen. :P
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Gill

Post by Gill »

jebmke wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:47 pm
manuvns wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:54 pm Tampa Bay area or Jacksonville not pretentious like Miami or dead like Naples
One of the things about Naples is you can walk into almost any restaurant at 7:30/8:00 and get a table - if they aren't about to close the kitchen. :P
If you think Naples is dead you're not going to the right places. :happy
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Topic Author
BGeste

Post by BGeste »

We are considering spending about one million on a house. Will that get us close to the beach?
dpm321

Post by dpm321 »

BGeste wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:57 pm We are considering spending about one million on a house. Will that get us close to the beach?
Define close. Have you done an easy look on Zillow to see what prices/values are?
Gill

Post by Gill »

BGeste wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:57 pm We are considering spending about one million on a house. Will that get us close to the beach?
Not on the beach but reasonably close.
Gill
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

My family and I spend a week every year in New Smyrna Beach. Great little town, with lots of great restaurants. If you get a house in the right location you may never need a car again.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Do diligent research online before you go. Before you move permanently, pick a spot (or a few spots) you think you might like and spend a winter and a summer there. Consider airbnb or some such thing. While you do, drive around and spend your time investigating alternatives. By then you should know where you want to be in FL.

As you will see when this thread fills up, no one size fits all....everybody has their own definitions of hell and paradise.
Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 »

BGeste wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:40 pm Considering moving to Florida to retire. WIfe and I would like a walkable to restaurants town, with relatively close proximity to the beach.

Sarasota and Naples are on our list. Would appreciate perspective of what it is like to live there and recommendations of other cities we may not be aware of. Pros and cons.

We like the idea of Florida because of low taxes, good housing prices, no winter weather.

Thank you.
My parents have lived in Sarasota for years. Siesta Key. More crowded the past 20 years, but still very livable. No major hurricane in 40 years. Something to do with typical pattern of hurricanes. It’s traditionally been the inclination of midwesterners where east coast has been New Yorkers. I’m sure that’s changed. No judgement. Just notice where my parents friends are from and snow bird license plates. Tends to be quieter nightlife, a bit less flashy, but still big money. Great beaches, inter coastal, outdoor activities, walkable. Good healthcare. I love to visit and have several times yearly for past 25 years. I still prefer 4 seasons and less traffic for me. If I had to live in Florida it would be around Sarasota.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2ws8GLyZjs

10 Reasons People Are Moving OUT of Naples,Florida.

you should also look at santa rosa beach in gulf shores , and https://www.latitudemargaritaville.com/
Thanks!
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

puravida wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:41 pm I'd recommend New Smyrna Beach & Ponce Inlet on the east coast. Beautiful beaches, great restaurants, affordable housing.
i thought you will recommend costa rica , better than most of florida .
Thanks!
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

We liked Vero Beach, the Keys, and Naples. Haven't moved there yet, but we plan to rent (maybe in 2-4 towns) before we buy.
north2016

Post by north2016 »

Ferdinand2014 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:14 pm
BGeste wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:40 pm Considering moving to Florida to retire. WIfe and I would like a walkable to restaurants town, with relatively close proximity to the beach.

Thank you.
My parents have lived in Sarasota for years. Siesta Key. More crowded the past 20 years, but still very livable. No major hurricane in 40 years. Something to do with typical pattern of hurricanes. .........
I have heard this "typical pattern of hurricanes" before. I don't think there is sound science that supports it.
Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 »

north2016 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:22 am

Thank you.
My parents have lived in Sarasota for years. Siesta Key. More crowded the past 20 years, but still very livable. No major hurricane in 40 years. Something to do with typical pattern of hurricanes. .........
I have heard this "typical pattern of hurricanes" before. I don't think there is sound science that supports it.
“There is a more likely, and more scientific, reason why hurricanes do not make it to Sarasota. The typical tracks (image below, credit: NOAA) during September show a northwest moving ‘hurricane highway’ through the Bahamas and the Yucatan Channel. Then, the hurricane curves towards the northeast. Notice the “hole” in tracks over Cuba. Cuba is a major inhibitor of tropical systems. The increased elevation of the mountains disrupts the moist low level inflow. This is the hurricane’s lifeblood. The curve of the prevailing track to hit Sarasota (dashed white line) would have to proceed over most of Cuba, significantly weakening any storm (and possibly altering track). Therefore, a direct hit to Sarasota requires an unlikely sharp curve towards the east. Another scenario often seen is a landfall on the east coast of Florida, weakening the storm, and preventing Sarasota from getting the worst of it.”

It is not that Sarasota can’t have hurricanes, it’s that geographically they are much less likely. There is science behind it.
Last edited by Ferdinand2014 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Don't ignore the East Coast of Florida. I think from Vero Beach up to Ponte Vedra is beautiful and less populated then the West side. Still great sunrises & sunsets, hospitals, restaurants, Amtrak service, airports (Jacksonville, Daytona Beach, Orlando, Sanford & Melbourne). Ocala National Forest, lots of nice state parks, rocket launches at the Cape, & of course the Orlando theme parks if so inclined.

With your budget, I'd recommend concrete block home, with shutters/panels, hurricane strapped roof, garage door braces & whole home generator. It will make hurricanes less impactful & you'll have a little less stress. Also check you FEMA flood maps. Hurricanes are all part of the Floridian Experience. Fireplaces are nice too as it does get cold here occasionally.

We plan on being closer to the beach in a few years & will likely choose New Smyrna Beach up to St. Augustine. We've been Orlando Metro for 16 years.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Ferdinand2014 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:23 am

Thank you.
“There is a more likely, and more scientific, reason why hurricanes do not make it to Sarasota. The typical tracks (image below, credit: NOAA) during September show a northwest moving ‘hurricane highway’ through the Bahamas and the Yucatan Channel. Then, the hurricane curves towards the northeast. Notice the “hole” in tracks over Cuba. Cuba is a major inhibitor of tropical systems. The increased elevation of the mountains disrupts the moist low level inflow. This is the hurricane’s lifeblood. The curve of the prevailing track to hit Sarasota (dashed white line) would have to proceed over most of Cuba, significantly weakening any storm (and possibly altering track). Therefore, a direct hit to Sarasota requires an unlikely sharp curve towards the east. Another scenario often seen is a landfall on the east coast of Florida, weakening the storm, and preventing Sarasota from getting the worst of it.”

It is not that Sarasota can’t have hurricanes, it’s that geographically they are much less likely. There most definitely is science behind it.
I agree with this synopsis. Hurricane Charlie was slated to make landfall in the Tampa Bay area. In my memory this would have been the closest hit to Sarasota that I can remember, buy the storm was blown East quicker then expected & hit the Ft. Meyers area instead. Thus Sarasota got the more "desirable" back side (left) of the hurricane.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Give some thought to the kinds/ages of people you want to be around....some areas (like Venice) skew older while other cities are more young.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Thank you.

It is not that Sarasota can’t have hurricanes, it’s that geographically they are much less likely. There is science behind it.
Perhaps look at the data that is available.
Major hurricane return frequency...
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/images/r ... jrhurr.jpg

After that perhaps research these facts before settling in on any location in Florida:
- SLOSH map #2 ...for tidal surges
- Sink hole map
- termite maps
- red tide map
- seasonal weather maps
They are all pretty easy to find and very usefull when planning to move there.
dowse

Post by dowse »

Consider Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach in the Jacksonville area. We have become annual visitors and have friends who live there. Very friendly town with great restaurants and shops in a very walkable downtown. Great opportunities for outdoor activities.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

KSOC wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:40 am Don't ignore the East Coast of Florida. I think from Vero Beach up to Ponte Vedra is beautiful and less populated then the West side. Still great sunrises & sunsets, hospitals, restaurants, Amtrak service, airports (Jacksonville, Daytona Beach, Orlando, Sanford & Melbourne). Ocala National Forest, lots of nice state parks, rocket launches at the Cape, & of course the Orlando theme parks if so inclined.

My BIL/SIL moved from Miami to a retirement home in Sewall's Point, an affluent incorporated area of Stuart. They love it there and in your budget you can definitely find a very nice near waterfront home. Theirs is a dry lot but Sewall's Point is between the St. Lucie river and Indian River lagoon, so there's a great nearby water view anywhere you go. Here's a link to the website for the town:

https://discovermartin.com/communities/sewalls-point/

With your budget, I'd recommend concrete block home, with shutters/panels, hurricane strapped roof, garage door braces & whole home generator. It will make hurricanes less impactful & you'll have a little less stress. Also check you FEMA flood maps. Hurricanes are all part of the Floridian Experience. Fireplaces are nice too as it does get cold here occasionally.

BIL is a retired structural engineer so he was careful to find a CBS house with good elevation. He basically tried to find a house that adhered as much as possible to the Miami Dade County building code. Be aware that although that building code is very rigorous in setting standards for wind sturdiness, it is not required in most of Florida. A lot of houses are frame and given changing climate conditions I would never live in anything but a concrete block structure in this state.

Shutters and panels are quickly giving way to impact windows so that's probably something I'd either make a requirement or budget into doing as replacement windows immediately post purchase. Aside from storm protection, impact windows make a huge difference in both noise dampening and energy/insulation efficiency so those should be a priority too.

Elevation is something to check as well-even inland, flooding caused by rain and seasonal storms can be a problem and since Florida as a whole is a low elevation state, water damage is probably more of a concern as an ongoing issue-regardless of hurricanes-than wind damage.

Also FEMA is currently redrawing flood maps and there is a good likelihood that many homes and neighborhoods will be changing designations. This in turn will impact the cost of flood insurance and perhaps the ability to even buy it in the future. Definitely ask your realtor to dig into that for any properties that are of interest.

smitcat

Post by smitcat »

pennywise wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:09 am
KSOC wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:40 am Don't ignore the East Coast of Florida. I think from Vero Beach up to Ponte Vedra is beautiful and less populated then the West side. Still great sunrises & sunsets, hospitals, restaurants, Amtrak service, airports (Jacksonville, Daytona Beach, Orlando, Sanford & Melbourne). Ocala National Forest, lots of nice state parks, rocket launches at the Cape, & of course the Orlando theme parks if so inclined.

My BIL/SIL moved from Miami to a retirement home in Sewall's Point, an affluent incorporated area of Stuart. They love it there and in your budget you can definitely find a very nice near waterfront home. Theirs is a dry lot but Sewall's Point is between the St. Lucie river and Indian River lagoon, so there's a great nearby water view anywhere you go. Here's a link to the website for the town:

https://discovermartin.com/communities/sewalls-point/

BIL is a retired structural engineer so he was careful to find a CBS house with good elevation. He basically tried to find a house that adhered as much as possible to the Miami Dade County building code. Be aware that although that building code is very rigorous in setting standards for wind sturdiness, it is not required in most of Florida. A lot of houses are frame and given changing climate conditions I would never live in anything but a concrete block structure in this state.

Shutters and panels are quickly giving way to impact windows so that's probably something I'd either make a requirement or budget into doing as replacement windows immediately post purchase. Aside from storm protection, impact windows make a huge difference in both noise dampening and energy/insulation efficiency so those should be a priority too.

Elevation is something to check as well-even inland, flooding caused by rain and seasonal storms can be a problem and since Florida as a whole is a low elevation state, water damage is probably more of a concern as an ongoing issue-regardless of hurricanes-than wind damage.

Also FEMA is currently redrawing flood maps and there is a good likelihood that many homes and neighborhoods will be changing designations. This in turn will impact the cost of flood insurance and perhaps the ability to even buy it in the future. Definitely ask your realtor to dig into that for any properties that are of interest.

"Shutters and panels are quickly giving way to impact windows so that's probably something I'd either make a requirement or budget into doing as replacement windows immediately post purchase. Aside from storm protection, impact windows make a huge difference in both noise dampening and energy/insulation efficiency so those should be a priority too."
This is a good tip above ….specific construction details of the home will affect you standard home insurance rates as well.

"Elevation is something to check as well-even inland, flooding caused by rain and seasonal storms can be a problem and since Florida as a whole is a low elevation state, water damage is probably more of a concern as an ongoing issue-regardless of hurricanes-than wind damage."
Here is a link to the SLOSH map 2 as a start....
http://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSer ... ad&entry=1

"Also FEMA is currently redrawing flood maps and there is a good likelihood that many homes and neighborhoods will be changing designations. This in turn will impact the cost of flood insurance and perhaps the ability to even buy it in the future. Definitely ask your realtor to dig into that for any properties that are of interest."
I thought this was already completed - would you please link your source for this information.
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

Soooo UNTRUE! In Snowbird Season (SEPT to June), you cannot get in a restaurant without a wait.

That's if you can get to the restaurant in heavy traffic
north2016

Post by north2016 »

Thank you.

What you state is not science. It is just some descriptive prose. Look at return frequency statistics.
Gill

Post by Gill »

chrisjul wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:33 am

Soooo UNTRUE! In Snowbird Season (SEPT to June), you cannot get in a restaurant without a wait.

That's if you can get to the restaurant in heavy traffic
You’re stretching the “snowbird season” a bit. September is the quietest month of the year in Florida. Winter residents begin returning in mid October and the is a dramatic drop off April 1st. Peak season is February and March.
Gill
BV3273

Post by BV3273 »

I’m a huge Delray Beach fan.
trevorshhh

Post by trevorshhh »

If you want a cheaper, more out of the way spot check out Apalachicola, FL. Nice, small town feel that is very walkable with a lot of restaurants and short hop across the bridge to St. George Island with miles of underused beaches. I could see retiring there myself.
All in VTI, VXUS, BND and equivalents.
TSR

Post by TSR »

manuvns wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:58 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2ws8GLyZjs

you should also look at santa rosa beach in gulf shores , and https://www.latitudemargaritaville.com/
Spent some time this year with a friend who lives in Santa Rosa and I agree that it meets OP's description.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

Gill wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:41 pm
You’re stretching the “snowbird season” a bit. September is the quietest month of the year in Florida. Winter residents begin returning in mid October and the is a dramatic drop off April 1st. Peak season is February and March.
Gill
This coincides almost perfectly with the Major League baseball calendar, including Spring Training in Feb / Mar.
Gill

Post by Gill »

Hockey10 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:30 pm
Gill wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:41 pm
Gill
This coincides almost perfectly with the Major League baseball calendar, including Spring Training in Feb / Mar.
That’s one of the reasons it’s peak season.
Gill
Gill

Post by Gill »

manuvns wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:58 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2ws8GLyZjs

The author of that video has a real problem. I left Naples after working and retiring there for thirty years but not for the reasons this guy cites. He knows nothing about Naples.
Gill
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Having spent many a year in FL including around beach communities, I'd highly suggest sampling various areas through long term rentals. Different places have totally different feels. And it may turn out that living on or near the beach isn't as enticing as it seems.
Topic Author
BGeste

Post by BGeste »

This sounds like a very good idea. Is it difficult to find rentals on or near the beach for six month to one year periods so that I can experience multiple locations?
magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter »

St. Petersburg. It’s not your grandparents’ green bench and shuffleboard town any more. Lots of $1 million + condos in the walkable downtown with many, many restaurants. USF St. Petersburg campus brings lots of young people and opportunity to take free classes for those over age 60. It is very much an arts destination with the James Museum (western art from the collection of local brokerage firm guy Tom James and his wife), Chihuly Collection (glass), Museum of Fine Arts and lots of independent artists. Downtown St. Pete is about 15 miles from the beach but you can take the Central Avenue Trolley.

Tampa International Airport is about 25 miles with nonstop flights to London, Frankfurt, Zurich and Amsterdam.

I love it here - but it is VERY hot from June through September. It was 94 yesterday.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

That's really funny!
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

north2016 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Thank you.

What you state is not science. It is just some descriptive prose. Look at return frequency statistics.
FWIW: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/images/strikes_us.jpg

7-9 strikes in a 110 year period (if I am reading the map correctly) may be less than many other counties but still a fair amount...110/8 is still a strike every 13-14 years or so (severity was not indicated). And hurricane severity may be getting more frequent and severe.
(Not that past performance in a short 110 year history will be predictive of future results over the course of your retirement....)

My personal take is that buying a second home (assuming you are not moving permanently) in FL is not the greatest idea because:
1. hurricanes (obviously)
2. The FL real estate market tends to be boom-or-bust and is very sensitive to unpredictable market fluctuations. The last few years have been a boom period. I saw my mom's property in Boynton Beach lose about 60-70% of its appraised value in the years following the 2008 crash. When I finally sold it in 2018, in "real terms" (2018 dollars) it was still worth considerably less than what she paid for it in 1980, and was in very good shape.
3. Being an absentee homeowner , and especially if you are a landlord, can be a real hassle. I've been there.
4. Risks of climate change/flooding if you are near the water.
5. It limits your flexibility, both mentally and financially.
6. Many communities in FL have changed dramatically since my mom bought her place in 1980, and given the nature of FL (one of the few places in the US that is warm year round with beaches and no state income tax), you can assume those changes will continue. What your community will look like 10-20 years from now is anybody's guess.

I would advocate renting, unless you live there permanently and want control over your own place (which you are unlikely to get much of if you are in a condo or homeowner's association anyway). And if you want to live there, whether permanently or seasonally, if you never lived around there before you should rent (including in "bad" seasons if you want to live there year round) in any places you are considering before committing to purchase- get to know your community and what it is like to live there.

I'm probably just stating the obvious, but it is easy to get caught up in a homebuying frenzy.
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

FWIW: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/images/strikes_us.jpg

7-9 strikes in a 110 year period (if I am reading the map correctly) may be less than many other counties but still a fair amount...110/8 is still a strike every 13-14 years or so (severity was not indicated). And hurricane severity may be getting more frequent and severe.
(Not that past performance in a short 110 year history will be predictive of future results over the course of your retirement....)

Ha! This is kind of funny. I have been thinking about retiring to Sarasota from my current home on Long Island but have been fretting about hurricane activity in Sarasota. According to the maps, the hurricane frequency in Sarasota is the same as where I currently live on Long Island.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

El Greco wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:09 am FWIW: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/images/strikes_us.jpg

Ha! This is kind of funny. I have been thinking about retiring to Sarasota from my current home on Long Island but have been fretting about hurricane activity in Sarasota. According to the maps, the hurricane frequency in Sarasota is the same as where I currently live on Long Island.
I noticed that as well living in MA. That said, they did not account for severity. I think most of the hurricanes that hit the Northeast have diminished significantly in intensity compared with those that hit FL after traveling unencumbered over water for hundreds of miles. Then again, if you live in LI you probably have vivid memories of Sandy.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

My folks live in St. Augustine. They have lived there for the last 30 years.

Great town. I visit quiet often. It has a mix of beaches and historic buildings, museums, etc.

Yet, it's about 45 minutes away from Jax airport and you can be in Jax downtown in about 25 minutes, if you are looking for big city things to do.

But as others have said here, perhaps it's best to rent for a while.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Gill wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:51 pm

The author of that video has a real problem. I left Naples after working and retiring there for thirty years but not for the reasons this guy cites. He knows nothing about Naples.
Gill
I scanned the video and after visiting Naples I have to say that my first impression was compatible with most of his points. I didn't like Naples at all.
The point of my saying this is not to diss Naples. Rather to point out that one man's meat is another man's poison. If you love Anna Maria Island or Key West there is a good chance that you hate South Beach or Jacksonville and vice versa.

You will not find your dream spot by polling strangers on a forum like this. You may get somewhere by talking with friends or people you know, because you have an idea that you will like what they like. But as you can tell by the responses here, they are all over the map (figuratively as well as literally) Because we are all different and have a different view of paradise.

Ultimately as I get older I am coming to believe that paradise is wherever you have a strong sense of community....with every passing year friends and family become more important and location less so.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

protagonist wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:21 am
El Greco wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:09 am FWIW: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/images/strikes_us.jpg

I noticed that as well living in MA. That said, they did not account for severity. I think most of the hurricanes that hit the Northeast have diminished significantly in intensity compared with those that hit FL after traveling unencumbered over water for hundreds of miles. Then again, if you live in LI you probably have vivid memories of Sandy.
Use this link....
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/

Page well down the document to see the maps for Hurricane frequency for all storms and for major storms - separate maps for each.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

We are in LI as well headed down to an areas near there - not really worried about storms in Florida.
Perhaps see the last post with maps for storm severity by area.
deikel

Post by deikel »

Its not what you were asking, but why not rather rent a place for a while to get a feeling for both (or more) places that are the runner ups ? a million would easily give you 40k rental money plus none of the hassle to testdrive florida

...and I would consider snow birding anyway, a lot of FL in summer is no fun...
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

I had a friend who had a nice house in Sarasota area with boat access. He once jokingly made the point that they had a saying "if you live on the water, then from time to time you'll live in the water". I think this applies to the Northeast as well.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Have visited Sarasota and Siesta Key for over 20 years. Seen many changes and the area appears to be very high costs. Have also visited many other areas in Florida. Clearwater Tampa is a nice area. Includes St. Pete.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."