Banks requiring fingerprint on a check for non-customers to receive cash

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
dm200

Re: Banks requiring fingerprint on a check for non-customers to receive cash

Post by dm200 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:51 pm

TetrisCollider wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:56 pm
Went in to BoA to cash a check written out in my name – the check was drawn on BoA. I am not a BoA customer. After providing several forms of ID, was requested to put (in ink) a fingerprint on the check, before they would cash it out. I was blown away by this request, said no thank you and drove to my CU to cash the check. After looking into this, apparently, this fingerprinting requirement was around at least since 1997.
https://www.sfgate.com/business/article ... 849473.php
I guess I have not had a need to cash a check as a non-customer at least since 1997. :happy
Although apparently this is legal, to me, this raises a huge amounts of questions and concerns.
Have you encountered this, what did you do and what are your thoughts on this subject?
To avoid this, why not just deposit the check into your own account?

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:59 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:51 pm
OP gave a detailed explanation as to why he went to the issuing bank already .....

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:36 am

dm200 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:51 pm
TetrisCollider wrote:
Went in to BoA to cash a check written out in my name – the check was drawn on BoA. I am not a BoA customer. After providing several forms of ID, was requested to put (in ink) a fingerprint on the check, before they would cash it out. I was blown away by this request, said no thank you and drove to my CU to cash the check. After looking into this, apparently, this fingerprinting requirement was around at least since 1997.
I guess I have not had a need to cash a check as a non-customer at least since 1997. :happy
Although apparently this is legal, to me, this raises a huge amounts of questions and concerns.
Have you encountered this, what did you do and what are your thoughts on this subject?
I've cashed checks at the drawing bank on a couple of occasions (though not recently and no fingerprint required). The sole reason was that I didn't trust the checkwriter to actually have the money in their account. By attempting to cash vs deposit at my bank, the check would just be declined for NSF vs me getting hit with a returned check fee by my bank.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:45 am

Invest4lt wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:16 pm
Getting a document notarized requires a fingerprint...
That's not my experience.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:02 am

mptfan wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:45 am
Invest4lt wrote:
Nor mine.

Over the decades, I have often needed to get something notarized (in Virginia) and have never even been asked to provide a fingerprint.

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:38 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:02 am
mptfan wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:45 am
Invest4lt wrote:
Nor mine.

Over the decades, I have often needed to get something notarized (in Virginia) and have never even been asked to provide a fingerprint.
Noted above that this is state specific. California requires thumbprints in certain cases.

illumination

Post by illumination » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:04 pm

FWIW, I worked in a bank part time in the 90's and this was standard procedure for EVERY person that cashed a check that didn't have an account there. And people always complained.

Fraud/check counterfeiting was a big issue and it was just a tool to collect evidence. I think a lot of "mules" were sent to cash them, this was a way to identify the "ring" and players involved after the fact, etc.

We also had people constantly complain about having to show their driver's license to cash a check or make a withdrawal. One would think you'd be glad a bank had some basic level of security about taking money out of an account, but you'd be wrong.

student

Post by student » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:10 pm

illumination wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:04 pm
We also had people constantly complain about having to show their driver's license to cash a check or make a withdrawal. One would think you'd be glad a bank had some basic level of security about taking money out of an account, but you'd be wrong.
I am always happy to provide a driver license when I take money out, in fact, I provide one without them asking. However, one time a teller wanted me to provide a couple of id to deposit money. She lied to me saying this was the bank's regulations. I called someone high up later and that person apologized.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:06 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:01 am
I would never try to cash a check at a bank where I didn’t have an account. Not sure why you would have even thought to do this?
Because the check is drawn on that bank and it's reasonable to expect the bank to honor a check written by one of its customers. Also, you may want to be sure that there are sufficient funds in the account and there is no better way to find out than to go to the drawee bank. What if you deposit the check in your bank and the check later bounces? You will be responsible for a bounced check fee, not to mention the possibility that it may cause a problem with a lack of funds in your account.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:20 pm

I am mystified at the problem here.

I have been asked to provide a thumbprint at banks where I do not have an account, and if there is sufficient money in the account it is drawn on, I always give them one. Take my money and leave.

Exactly what is the problem? I am not trying to defraud anyone, so having my thumbprint is not going too incriminate me in any way.

Most of the time I will just deposit checks, but if someone bounces one I will take the replacement to their bank. Not only does it avoid a bounced check fee at my bank, but it increases the chances of collecting the money. I can take it in several times a day for several days until the account has enough to cover the check.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:03 am

HueyLD wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:51 pm
At least the BofA cashed a check submitted by a non-customer. My bank will not cash anything for a non-customer.
???? If you bring the check to the bank it is drawn on, aren't they required to cash it?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:00 am

According to the Federal Reserve https://www.federalreserveconsumerhelp. ... ank-really

“There is no federal law that requires a bank to cash a check, even a government check. Some banks only cash checks if you have an account at the bank. Other banks will cash checks for non-customers, but they may charge a fee. You should shop around for the bank that best meets your needs.”

JGoneRiding

Post by JGoneRiding » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:07 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:22 am
TetrisCollider wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:56 pm
Appreciate everyone's responses.

Sometimes there are unpredictable circumstances where one is in a situation that is outside of normal routine - such is life.

I see that most respondents do not see any issues with this fingerprinting policy and view it as a positive security protection.

I am very privacy oriented, so this was not something I was willing to tolerate - to each his own.
Have you ever notarized anything?
How do you avoid the issue of having your finger print taken?
This must be a state thing. I have notarized lots of times all in one state and never been printed

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:31 am

When making a deposit ask for the teller's fingerprints.

coachd50

Post by coachd50 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:38 am

nisiprius wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:03 am
HueyLD wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:51 pm
At least the BofA cashed a check submitted by a non-customer. My bank will not cash anything for a non-customer.
???? If you bring the check to the bank it is drawn on, aren't they required to cash it?
No, but the "counter" so to speak for this is that if a bank is not negotiating your checks, then the people you are issuing them to may have a problem with YOU, and cease to do business with you. So if enough bank clients were to pull deposits, the bank would reexamine its policy.

The most hilarious part of this entire discussion is that most people don't realize that accepting an item for deposit without placing a Reg CC hold is pretty much cashing the check. Although that may be a bit different now due to "real time" processing capabilities.

Finally, the answer to most of the questions / comments on this thread is RECOURSE. The cardinal rules of banking when it comes to negotiating items is 1) KNow your Endorser, 2) Have Recourse 3) Your problem is not my problem.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:29 pm

Cheyenne wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:31 am
When making a deposit ask for the teller's fingerprints.
:happy :D

Lafder

Post by Lafder » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:46 pm

My bank in an upscale area requires fingerprinting for non account holders. I see the sign every time I pull up at the drive through.

"Non account holders may not use the drive up. Please come into the bank so you can be fingerprinted to cash a check"

Even though the tellers know me by name, I need to provide my license to get cash back at the driveup or in the bank. (Small branch of a big national bank with long time tellers)

My bank does not allow cash to be deposited in anyone else's account. I was trying to give $ to someone and the bank would not let me deposit cash even with her account number and her on the phone to ok. Luckily I had my checkbook with me that day and they had no problem with me filling out a deposit slip for her account. I also had a tenant no longer allowed to deposit cash rent directly as he had for years. They said this no cash deposits in other people's accounts is part of anti money laundering rules.

lafder

Topic Author
TetrisCollider

Post by TetrisCollider » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:34 pm

7eight9 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:31 pm
TetrisCollider wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:47 am
  • What is the issue of me putting a fingerprint on a check – the point is, I have no idea what they are doing with this. No-one knows what the banks do with your information or how secure it is. I have zero info about this. No policy of any sort was provided to me while requesting to put my fingerprint down. I am not about to willy-nilly leave my biometric information at various institutions. What’s next – saliva collection, blood samples, iris scanning?
Facial recognition. That is a bit harder to avoid. :happy
7eight9, this is a very good point. You walk into a bank, you are on at least 10 different cameras - why ask for a fingerprint, then?

Topic Author
TetrisCollider

Post by TetrisCollider » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:37 pm

TropikThunder wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:44 pm
TetrisCollider wrote:
Banks protecting themselves and their customers – sure, I understand that. But how is this a protection? If it truly somehow is a protection, that means they have to compare the fingerprint to some sort of a national police database. Somehow I doubt that is what they are doing.
I think you’re missing the point of fingerprinting. Video surveillance cameras aren’t intended to spot crimes in progress, but rather to go back and identify the perpetrator after the fact. Someone vandalized your car? The police can pull surveillance video and maybe identify the culprit.

Similar idea for fingerprints, it’s about going back and identifying a thief after the theft is discovered. If someone steals your checks and cashes them at their own bank, there’s a chance the money can be recovered from that person’s account (at a minimum that’s where the bank and police will start). If they cash it at a check cashing place, the check casher is on the hook but charges such high fees to cover that risk. If the thief cashes the check at your bank, who’s the bank going to go after to recover the funds when you report them stolen? The thief. How will they find him or her? They don’t make a photocopy of the thief’s ID, do they? Enter the fingerprint. The bank isn’t going to run them against the database (only law enforcement can do that) but it’s available if the check turns out to be stolen.

ETA: most check cashing places also require fingerprints for checks cashed by customers without a history at that check casher.
TropikThunder, thank you for a great detailed response, which makes sense. However, as you are pointing out, you walk into a bank and you are already on video - so why ask for a fingerprint? And what use is the fingerprint, if it was taken incorrectly or it is essentially illegible?

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:38 pm

TetrisCollider wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:37 pm
TropikThunder wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:44 pm
TetrisCollider wrote:
Banks protecting themselves and their customers – sure, I understand that. But how is this a protection? If it truly somehow is a protection, that means they have to compare the fingerprint to some sort of a national police database. Somehow I doubt that is what they are doing.
I think you’re missing the point of fingerprinting. Video surveillance cameras aren’t intended to spot crimes in progress, but rather to go back and identify the perpetrator after the fact. Someone vandalized your car? The police can pull surveillance video and maybe identify the culprit.

Similar idea for fingerprints, it’s about going back and identifying a thief after the theft is discovered. If someone steals your checks and cashes them at their own bank, there’s a chance the money can be recovered from that person’s account (at a minimum that’s where the bank and police will start). If they cash it at a check cashing place, the check casher is on the hook but charges such high fees to cover that risk. If the thief cashes the check at your bank, who’s the bank going to go after to recover the funds when you report them stolen? The thief. How will they find him or her? They don’t make a photocopy of the thief’s ID, do they? Enter the fingerprint. The bank isn’t going to run them against the database (only law enforcement can do that) but it’s available if the check turns out to be stolen.

ETA: most check cashing places also require fingerprints for checks cashed by customers without a history at that check casher.
TropikThunder, thank you for a great detailed response, which makes sense. However, as you are pointing out, you walk into a bank and you are already on video - so why ask for a fingerprint? And what use is the fingerprint, if it was taken incorrectly or it is essentially illegible?
Whenever I have had my fingerprint taken the scanner immediately indicates if the fingerprint is readable. I assume that means its sufficient to be compared against others in a database. If the fingerprint isn't readable, you have to try again, and I've had to try several times - kind of like taking your fingerprint to unlock your phone or computer, probably. It's not like anybody is using ink to take your fingerprint, I assume.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:11 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:38 pm
TetrisCollider wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:37 pm
Whenever I have had my fingerprint taken the scanner immediately indicates if the fingerprint is readable. I assume that means its sufficient to be compared against others in a database. If the fingerprint isn't readable, you have to try again, and I've had to try several times - kind of like taking your fingerprint to unlock your phone or computer, probably. It's not like anybody is using ink to take your fingerprint, I assume.
Fair points both. In my experience (anecdotal of course), when a fingerprint has been required at a bank it was via electronic scanner (which presumably judges “acceptable” vs not) while if it was at a check cashing place it was via the colorless “stuff” they use to take a thumbprint (and the teller likely can’t really tell if it’s good or not). Who knows how well any of it works though.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:10 pm

One reason someone might be trying to cash a check where the account it is drawn on is there is a not small portion of the populace that is unbanked.

Check-cashing places do a booming business cashing checks and selling money orders. Drive by one on a Friday evening.

The places work for the users, but sometimes have high fees. And that isn't even considering another part of their business, payday loans.

Sucks to be poor, banking is just one more issue to face.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:06 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:10 pm
One reason someone might be trying to cash a check where the account it is drawn on is there is a not small portion of the populace that is unbanked.
Check-cashing places do a booming business cashing checks and selling money orders. Drive by one on a Friday evening.
The places work for the users, but sometimes have high fees. And that isn't even considering another part of their business, payday loans.
Sucks to be poor, banking is just one more issue to face.
Broken Man 1999
Yes - one, of many examples, of what I call a "tax on being poor".

Or, the reverse Robin Hood - "rob from the poor and give to the rich"

arf30

Post by arf30 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:22 pm

I'm surprised a bank will just let someone walk in with a check and walk out with cash, usually when I deposit one they put a hold on the funds for a few days.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:54 pm

arf30 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:22 pm
I'm surprised a bank will just let someone walk in with a check and walk out with cash, usually when I deposit one they put a hold on the funds for a few days.
Today, almost all banks and credit unions can see the check writer's account and make sure the funds are there to give out the cash. They also update the ledger/balance to deduct the amount of the check.

Pudge

Post by Pudge » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:17 pm

At a big bank such as BOA, Citi, Wells, Chase, etc., this fingerprint requirement is the norm. You have to understand that the sheer volume of check fraud in some parts of the country is astronomical. Some of these retail branches are dealing with check fraud multiple times a week. The fraudsters are getting more aggressive, more sophisticated, more skilled. It is a rampant problem at the big retail bank branches. The big banks get just hammered by these kinds of fraud issues at the local level.

coachd50

Post by coachd50 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:41 pm

arf30 wrote:
What is your ACB (Average collected balance) ?

If you have been a customer for several years, have an average collected balance of several thousand dollars, and are presenting items in much lesser amounts, that is pretty odd. If on the other hand your average collected balance is relatively low (a couple hundred) and you are presenting items of higher amounts, the bank doesn't recourse should that item be returned.

privateer79

Post by privateer79 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:56 pm

mptfan wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:06 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:01 am
I would never try to cash a check at a bank where I didn’t have an account. Not sure why you would have even thought to do this?
Because the check is drawn on that bank and it's reasonable to expect the bank to honor a check written by one of its customers. Also, you may want to be sure that there are sufficient funds in the account and there is no better way to find out than to go to the drawee bank. What if you deposit the check in your bank and the check later bounces? You will be responsible for a bounced check fee, not to mention the possibility that it may cause a problem with a lack of funds in your account.
THIS!... my father (RIP) was a DIY (perhaps overly lenient) landlord and had a pile of interesting check cashing stories...

1)deposited rent check in his own account (and cancelled eviction proceeding, or taking some other actions).... 2 weeks later check bounces.... and he gets a fee, and is back at square 1.
2) opens an account at deadbeat tenants bank (as suggested in this thread)... they still credit the account... and later the check bounces with a fee... (because apparently the bank doesn't bother to verify the checkwriter's balance since they have recourse to just yank the money back from my dad's account... plus they get that fat bounced-check-fee bonus!) .
3) goes to bank and insists on cash (without giving his account information)... gets it, or at least gets an insufficient funds denial (usually after a lot of hassle, and loudly commenting that their customer will be evicted that evening if the bank doesn't cash the check)
4) eventually he learned to ask deadbeat tenants for multiple fractional checks (300$+ 200$+$100 instead of 600$) because a bank can't partially honor a check, but if you present a series of checks like that you can get most of whats in the account.

basically in some situations the check presenter wants the no-recourse aspect of walking away with cash in hand, not a vague promise of maybe cash in your account in a few days, that might be yanked back up to 60 days later.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:47 am

arf30 wrote:
Well, (setting aside theft/fraud questions) if I write you a check and you take it to my bank, my bank can immediately see if I have sufficient funds to cover it. Yes? Cash the check, give you the money. No? Decline it and send you on your way. Easy peasy.

If instead I give you the check and you take it to your bank and deposit it, your bank doesn't know whether the check will clear my account or not, so the bank's algorithms place a hold (or not, depending on your reputation at your bank).

It's all about whether the bank being asked to turn a check into cash can verify funds to clear or not.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:53 am

dm200 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:54 pm
Today, almost all banks and credit unions can see the check writer's account and make sure the funds are there to give out the cash. They also update the ledger/balance to deduct the amount of the check.
If I write you a check from my Bank of America account and you go deposit it at your Wells Fargo branch, you're saying WF can see my BofA account balance? And my BofA account will immediately update to show the money being withdrawn before the check clears ACH? How?

Note, I would never bank with either BofA or WF, they are both evil.

msk

Post by msk » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 am

For a country that makes so much fuss about security and identification, the US seems to be falling behind some third world countries. Where I reside, all residents need an ID card, citizens or foreigners. The ID card (think of it as your SS card since it serves similar purposes plus...) has your photo, fingerprint and a PIN that can be linked to your smartphone (I think they call it IPK security). Cashing a check obviously requires the ID card and that gets activated only by your fingerprint... Your IPK on your phone comes in handy for remote 2-factor ID. We'll soon get used to be identified and tracked everywhere. Currently our cars have registration numbers that are tracked routinely. Why do we make so much fuss about facial recognition? After it's 99% accurate, of course.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:14 am

TropikThunder wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:53 am
dm200 wrote:
If I write you a check from my Bank of America account and you go deposit it at your Wells Fargo branch, you're saying WF can see my BofA account balance? And my BofA account will immediately update to show the money being withdrawn before the check clears ACH? How?

No.

If I write you a check on my checking account at Bank of America and you take that check to a Bank of America branch - and want it cashed - that branch of Bank of America can make sure that I have sufficient funds in my account to give you the cash, and immediately upon giving you the cash - deduct that from my available balance.

Carson

Post by Carson » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:46 am

I was a bank teller in 2002 and this was a part of non-customers cashing checks (at a megacorp bank)
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:49 pm

msk wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 am
For a country that makes so much fuss about security and identification, the US seems to be falling behind some third world countries. Where I reside, all residents need an ID card, citizens or foreigners. The ID card (think of it as your SS card since it serves similar purposes plus...) has your photo, fingerprint and a PIN that can be linked to your smartphone (I think they call it IPK security). Cashing a check obviously requires the ID card and that gets activated only by your fingerprint... Your IPK on your phone comes in handy for remote 2-factor ID. We'll soon get used to be identified and tracked everywhere. Currently our cars have registration numbers that are tracked routinely. Why do we make so much fuss about facial recognition? After it's 99% accurate, of course.
I have to agree. That is simply the realization of where we are at, certainly not an endorsement.

Despite all the complaining, all the fears, the I want to keep my info private train left the station years ago. The genie is out of the bottle, and there is no putting it back in.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:07 pm

TetrisCollider wrote:

I have had to provide finger print and in addition the bank called issuer of check to verify that he wrote it to me.This was a business checking account so I dont know if that had anything to do with it.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:20 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:49 pm
msk wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 am
I have to agree. That is simply the realization of where we are at, certainly not an endorsement.

Despite all the complaining, all the fears, the I want to keep my info private train left the station years ago. The genie is out of the bottle, and there is no putting it back in.

Broken Man 1999
Yes - that train has, indeed, long left the station. I suspect, as well, that there may be more such "trains" down the road.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:44 am

dm200 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:14 am
TropikThunder wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:53 am
dm200 wrote:

No.

If I write you a check on my checking account at Bank of America and you take that check to a Bank of America branch - and want it cashed - that branch of Bank of America can make sure that I have sufficient funds in my account to give you the cash, and immediately upon giving you the cash - deduct that from my available balance.
What you are missing is the situation where I write a check to myself, quite possibly with a fake name/ID, using your illegally obtained account information or a stolen check, walk into BoA, they verify funds, and hand me your cash. Three weeks from now you balance your checkbook and find the missing funds. BoA will eventually have to credit you for the fraudulent check and they are left holding the bag. The fingerprint makes it more likely law enforcement can track down the fraudster. There are vast databases of fingerprints that are easily searchable by law enforcement. Facial recognition is not there - yet. Just from a tracking standpoint it is easier to find the fingerprint on the fraudulent check than review week's old surveillance camera data.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:06 am

tev9876 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:44 am
What you are missing is the situation where I write a check to myself, quite possibly with a fake name/ID, using your illegally obtained account information or a stolen check, walk into BoA, they verify funds, and hand me your cash.
I don't think most people realize how easy it is print checks using any name and any account number. There are companies and services that will print checks for you using any name and any account number that you give them, just google "order checks online" and see for yourself. You need three pieces of information... 1) a name, 2) the routing number for the bank or credit union (which is publicly available information), and 3) the account number. Think about that...if someone is able to get your information then can print or order checks with your name and your account information and have the checks delivered to them and they now have a checkbook in their hands with your name and your bank and account information and they can write checks drawn on your account as if they were you. Now this person can write a check to themselves (or anyone for that matter) and walk into your bank and cash the check from your account and if there are sufficient funds to cover the check they can walk out of your bank with your money.