Anyone with any experience with Warby Parker eyeglasses?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Ykcor

Anyone with any experience with Warby Parker eyeglasses?

Post by Ykcor » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:11 pm

Bought a pair today at half the cost of local optical dispensary that I have used before.

livesoft

Re: Anyone with any experience with Warby Parker eyeglasses?

Post by livesoft » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:13 pm

I went into a WP store and found out they were just as expensive as the local optical dispensary that I have used. There are less expensive places than WP. I didn't understand any of the hype about them.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

noraz123

Post by noraz123 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:22 pm

Both my wife and I have bought glasses from Warby Parker, and are very happy with the quality and price. Warby Parker was one of the original "new startup" eyeglass companies.

I have since bought glasses from a competitor called Classic Specs, which was slightly cheaper and I found to be equal quality as Warby Parker.

The best bargain I have found for online glasses is Zenni Optical. The price is about 1/4 (or less!) that of Warby Parker! The frames are very good, albeit not quite the same quality as Warby Parker or Classic Specs. For example, I bought a pair of prescription sunglasses for $25, and that included shipping!

I'd recommend all of the above to anyone. Warby Parker and Classic Specs for the more fashion conscious and and Zenni Optical for the more cost conscious (albeit I have found frames that I quite like). Unless the market changes, I don't see buying eyeglasses anywhere but from the above and similar type companies.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:40 pm

I've shopped extensively online for eyeglasses. My favorite, due to the no-questions-asked 14-day refund/exchange, and 365 day warranty (new pair) is EyeBuyDirect.com

I don't like my experiences with Zenni, because the largest refund they will ever give you is 50% minus return shipping. How can you call that a warranty? And, yes, it's easy to screw up a pair of eyeglasses.

I've read good things about Warby Parker, but they are more expensive than EyeBuyDirect

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:45 pm

I use Zenni to buy backup pairs of my prescription lenses and I’ve been happy with the results.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:13 pm

Warby is good if you don't want to file insurance. (at least in the past they wouldn't give me a bill itemized in the way that my insurance company needed it to be itemized) And you have to file it yourself. But they have attractive styles and tend to skew youthful. My two young adult children and I all ordered a pair last summer and have been very happy with them.

I also have been happy with Costco. They will file glasses claims for certain insurance companies but they are reasonably priced for paying cash, as well. And a streamlined shopping experience if you are shopping at Costco anyway.

I like buying local so that they can heat and bend the glasses so they sit correctly on my face.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:51 pm

I took a look at Warby Parker online, looking for frames. They do not have a frame size tool. I know my proper frame size, and on many online sites I can enter it, and the matching frames pop up. Easy to narrow down your search.

At first, I thought I had somehow missed the tool, but, I called and was told you have to go through the frames to find one that fits. I was really surprised by the lack of such a useful tool. And, I am not willing to search through the various collections to find my frame size.

Next time I go to Costco I'll check them out. My current glasses are from go-optic.com. Fast, accurate specks. Might use them again if Costco doesn't work.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

renegade06

Post by renegade06 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:54 pm

I have two pair and have been very happy with the style and quality. I only wear them on nights/when I don't have my contacts in. I'd highly recommend them.

softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:59 pm

I have used Zenni. I have bought their cheapest and more expensive pairs. The business model is make and ship from China. Avoid the 7 dollar frames. They are cheap and uncomfortable. Also, I am not sure that their knock off transitions will hold up. Otherwise, so far so good and will buy another pair or two at their annual Black Friday sale.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:54 am

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum. -- mod oldcomputerguy
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

drummerboy

Post by drummerboy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:57 am

My wife and I both have 2 pair (normal and prescription sunglasses). Very pleased.

Nice styling and build quality. We have a local store here, so fitting and adjustments can be done in their store. They make it simple to apply for the vision insurance payment.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:06 am

The last three pairs of eyeglasses I purchased I bought from Warby Parker (including the reading glasses I'm using as I type this), and I've been totally happy with the quality of both the product and the service.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:07 am

vineviz wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:06 am
The last three pairs of eyeglasses I purchased I bought from Warby Parker (including the reading glasses I'm using as I type this and my day-to-day progressive lenses), and I've been totally happy with the quality of both the product and the service.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Been a Warby fan for 6-7 years, wear 'em exclusively.

Like the product and how they operate.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Been using them for 7 years now. Previously I would get designer frames at my optometrist and spend about $400 - 500 per frame. At $95 Warby Parker were definitely a bargain.

This past year I needed new glasses and did not find anything in their current selection that I liked so opted for some Tom Ford frames instead.

My only issue with Warby Parker is that the lenses can be off-center or off-axis if you order them online. I only found out because I got headaches wearing one set and it took going back to my optometrist to figure it out. I think brick-and-mortar WB locations avoid this issue.

wstrdg

Post by wstrdg » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:41 pm

I agree with all of the above posts. I have designer-style glasses from Warby Parker at a reasonable price, but not inexpensive. I also have glasses from Zenni at a much lower price than WP and the Zenni quality is just as good as Warby Parker. The cases from WP are much nicer than Zenni's but that cannot account for the huge price difference. I have used Costco in the past, but their frames are a tad too old-fashioned and the price can't match Zenni.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:41 pm

I am a big fan. Reasonable prices, good quality, much better styles then Costco, and good service. I like the home try on option for frames. I also have a store close by and the customer service is excellent and they really know how to properly adjust their glasses.

cbeck

Post by cbeck » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:09 pm

I have been quite happy with Zenni. Cheap and serviceable. Their three options for prrogressive lenses are a boon. At those prices it is not reasonable to expect a warantee, but they are so cheap that a warantee is not very important.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:14 pm

I got a bunch of their "sample" glasses to try out. Wasn't impressed with the quality, seems very cheaply made -- all marketing hype. I do use an online site to order prescription brand eyeglasses from though (ray ban, oakley, etc).

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:09 pm

First time hearing about it. I’m a happy Costco customer where I also get my glasses from.

queso

Post by queso » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:59 am

Bought my last pair from WP and have been happy with them. Cost was much better than what they had at my eye doc's place and I like the frames. I have a brick and mortar Warby near me though so I was able to go try them on in person.

daheld

Post by daheld » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:15 am

I've bought two pair from WP. They're fine. I'd say they're slightly better quality than I'd expect from a $100 pair of glasses. Not SUPER cheap, but also not what I'd call sturdy. The home try on is convenient, but I have a small face and they don't make many frames that fit me well.

RJC

Post by RJC » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:42 am

I've had a pair of glasses and sunglasses from WP for about 3+ years and they have stood the test of time. Good quality and still looks great!

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:44 am

I just order from Zenni Optical. In 2015 I ordered 2 pairs from a friend that owned who is an optometrist and owns a store and paid $600 for one pair of eyeglasses and 1 pair of sunglasses. They scratched up within 2 years. I ordered a new pair of eyeglasses from Zenni it was $50. The frames were fairly similar though the lenses were much thicker and heavier. Still I find them perfectly adequate for my needs.

You can go to Walmart or any optometrist and pay the exam fee which at Walmart was $40 and they will give you your prescription. You also need your pupil distance which Walmart also did for me. Once you have Your PID and prescription you can order from anyone.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:38 pm

sschoe2 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:44 am
I just order from Zenni Optical. In 2015 I ordered 2 pairs from a friend that owned who is an optometrist and owns a store and paid $600 for one pair of eyeglasses and 1 pair of sunglasses. They scratched up within 2 years. I ordered a new pair of eyeglasses from Zenni it was $50. The frames were fairly similar though the lenses were much thicker and heavier. Still I find them perfectly adequate for my needs.

You can go to Walmart or any optometrist and pay the exam fee which at Walmart was $40 and they will give you your prescription. You also need your pupil distance which Walmart also did for me. Once you have Your PID and prescription you can order from anyone.
Where do you go to get your new glasses heated up and adjusted to fit your head?

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:54 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:13 pm
Warby is good if you don't want to file insurance. (at least in the past they wouldn't give me a bill itemized in the way that my insurance company needed it to be itemized) And you have to file it yourself. But they have attractive styles and tend to skew youthful. My two young adult children and I all ordered a pair last summer and have been very happy with them.

I also have been happy with Costco. They will file glasses claims for certain insurance companies but they are reasonably priced for paying cash, as well. And a streamlined shopping experience if you are shopping at Costco anyway.

I like buying local so that they can heat and bend the glasses so they sit correctly on my face.
We have used WP 3x in last year and all worked out great. Liked the better selection over Costco. Received an itemized invoice so was easily mail it in to the insurance carrier under the vision plan. Fortunately, we have a WP retail store not too far away, so they can measure pupil alignment.

marcwd

Post by marcwd » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:28 pm

softwaregeek wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:59 pm
I have used Zenni. I have bought their cheapest and more expensive pairs. The business model is make and ship from China. Avoid the 7 dollar frames. They are cheap and uncomfortable. Also, I am not sure that their knock off transitions will hold up. Otherwise, so far so good and will buy another pair or two at their annual Black Friday sale.
Not good to generalize. Zenni offers numerous frames at all price levels. I order readers in a metal, half-rim 7-dollar frame and they're perfectly fine.

FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:37 pm

I've used eyebuydirect ( they run BOGO once or twice a year) and Zenni. I prefer eyebuydirect. Quality frames and lenses.

I find warby parker overpriced ( probably ddue to their large marketing budget/ physical locations).

That being said, I will never buy glasses from a brick and mortar again, online all the way.

Just make sure you know your measurements and what sized frames fit you.

marcwd

Post by marcwd » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:39 pm

nalor511 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:40 pm
I've shopped extensively online for eyeglasses. My favorite, due to the no-questions-asked 14-day refund/exchange, and 365 day warranty (new pair) is EyeBuyDirect.com

I don't like my experiences with Zenni, because the largest refund they will ever give you is 50% minus return shipping. How can you call that a warranty? And, yes, it's easy to screw up a pair of eyeglasses.

I've read good things about Warby Parker, but they are more expensive than EyeBuyDirect
Zenni will give you a one-time full "store credit" for returned glasses. And if you request it, Zenni will provide a return mailing label.

Not sure what you mean by "it's easy to screw up a pair of eyeglasses." If Zenni screws up the manufacturing (highly unlikely), they'll remake the glasses. Otherwise, yes, you need to start with the correct prescription and enter it properly when ordering.

KirklandCoug

Post by KirklandCoug » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:58 pm

I just used WP for the first time. They made a mistake with the progressive part of my lenses and fixed them with no questions asked. Great service!

I have also used Costco in the past and have been very happy.

The ones I get from Zenni always seem to fit weird. Maybe I don't measure correctly.

teniralc

Post by teniralc » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:35 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:38 pm
sschoe2 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:44 am

Where do you go to get your new glasses heated up and adjusted to fit your head?
This is also my question. I have paid quite a bit for high quality progressives from a local optician over the years. I go in to the store every other month to have them adjusted. It sometimes takes a moment or two to get the adjustment correct and this is what they do everyday. I don’t understand how the fit can be good with mail order. I’d like to use mail order because of the price difference but when my progressives get even a bit off adjustment I can’t see. Any ideas on this would be much appreciated

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:58 pm

LilyFleur wrote:

Not the person you asked but when I got glasses from Zenni, I heated a cup of water to boiling in the microwave, dipped the ear portion of the frame into the water for a few moments, and then bent it the way I wanted it. Worked fine.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:11 pm

Turbo29 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:58 pm
LilyFleur wrote:

Not the person you asked but when I got glasses from Zenni, I heated a cup of water to boiling in the microwave, dipped the ear portion of the frame into the water for a few moments, and then bent it the way I wanted it. Worked fine.
Well, I was brave enough to superglue a bloody cut on my son's face back in the day. I bet I'm brave enough to adjust my glasses frames. Thanks for the tip :D

teniralc

Post by teniralc » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:16 pm

Turbo29 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:58 pm
LilyFleur wrote:

With progressive lenses, it is not just the fit behind the ears, it is really the high adjustment where the center of the lense is supposed to line up with the pupil. Maybe I’ll give it a try the next time and if there is a return policy and if it doesn’t work out, I could then go to my regular optician.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:44 pm

I am new to this online glasses thing. I ordered 5 paired (try at home) from WB, neither of them fits my face. When I redone the search again using "small" fit, very few items appear and none of them seems good for me. I am now hesitant to try Zenni. If Zenni wasn't a good fit either, I would lose 50% of the money, or end up with a store credit to order another pair which could be another "not fit". But I may take the risk anyways since they are dirt cheap. I will see..
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:23 am

LilyFleur wrote:
I did some basic adjustments myself.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:31 am

teniralc wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:35 pm
... but when my progressives get even a bit off adjustment I can’t see. Any ideas on this would be much appreciated
I've been wearing progressives for more than a decade. I don't have this adjustment problem. It may seem outrageous, but maybe, just maybe, your optician has scammed you into thinking they do a good job and that you have high quality progressives.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:17 pm

I have two pair of single vision WPs, the first of which is nearly 5 years old (script hasn't changed). I loved the convenience of the home try-on samples as it enables my wife to give the thumbs-up/down before I order. I also really like the conservative/classic styles they carry, am partial to the "Wilkie", and have gotten a fair number of compliments and inquiries on them. Quality feels on par with what I've gotten from the optometrist office in the past.

10 out of 10, would by again :D :D :D :D

KT785