I have 8 checking accounts?????

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
togb

I have 8 checking accounts?????

Post by togb » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:20 pm

I was working on finances, and had a hugely embarrassing "aha moment".

I have a lot of checking accounts. I don't write very many checks-- most bills are paid online. But there are a few people who get checks-- so yes, I should have a checking account and paper checks. But I have 7 checking accounts.

Some for good reasons and I should keep these:
1. checking account attached to after tax brokerage account. That's where EF sits, so yes, it makes sense to have the ability to write a check, even if it's not very often. I can transfer electronically, but I still like the option to write a check.
2. Checking account specific to real estate holdings. That makes sense, it's a business, and I should have a separate account for it.
3. The main account that I operate my house/life from.

Some used to be for good reasons but no longer make sense, and I just failed to notice. I should close these.
4. An account for a business that is no longer a business. I still have expenses, but I don't report them, write them off, and there is nothing from this that is required for taxes. I was just used to having it, so kept it. When I close it, I can just pay these expenses from #3 above.
5. An account that was opened locally in my small town, in case I needed something from a bank close by, or to use an ATM without a fee. It's a dud bank, and the ATM is usually not working. I need to close this account.

And then some that I'm not sure whether to keep or not. I'll close one of these but maybe not immediately.
6. An account with Chase that I opened to get the $300. Turns out they do a pretty good job, and I have a Chase Amazon card, and it's super easy to log in one place and pay the Chase Amazon from the Chase checking. It's a free checking account. I might hang on to this one for a bit, just in case I want a second "major player" banking relationship.
7. An account from somewhere I used to live, and still have a safety deposit box, and just haven't returned to close it and retrieve my things. (It's an 8 hour flight). So I kept the checking account, and actually started using it as a place to park savings for when I return on vacation. I think for now I'll keep it, even though there are no local branches, but once I close the SDB, I should probably close this one too. If I can't stand to close it, I'll close Chase instead.

This will simplify my life a little-- streamline my direct deposits, and I can throw away some boxes of checks, which will clear a little drawer space. I'm a little embarrassed that I just "stayed the course" and did not think about this sooner. Has this been the case for others? Or did I just miss the boat???

HomeStretch

Re: I have 8 checking accounts?????

Post by HomeStretch » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:26 pm

I can’t say I ever had 8 checking accounts but there certainly were things in my financial life that benefited from streamlining. So no need to be embarrassed. Just streamline and move on.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:34 pm

Why not close everything but 2 and 3?

Simplicity is a virtue :)

JGoneRiding

Post by JGoneRiding » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:34 pm

I have 5 checking accts and 4 savings accounts so whatever. I have reasons

No wait I have 5 savings one is empty though. I keep thinking capital one will raise the rate so why close it.

shess

Post by shess » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:41 pm

togb wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:20 pm
6. An account with Chase that I opened to get the $300. Turns out they do a pretty good job, and I have a Chase Amazon card, and it's super easy to log in one place and pay the Chase Amazon from the Chase checking. It's a free checking account. I might hang on to this one for a bit, just in case I want a second "major player" banking relationship.
Once Upon A Time, I went on a streamlining tear, and consolidated to the minimal number of accounts necessary. A few have crept back in, but for me it's a hard "NO!" for any account that's just sort of alright, good enough, kinda nice, etc. My primary account is all of those things, and having a second (or third or fourth) account which has similar attributes isn't valuable. Accounts need to pull their weight!

Getting specific on the credit-card convenience you mention, I have an Ally sub-account and all my credit cards set to autopay on the first of the month from that account. So around the 5th or 6th all the statements come up, I reconcile in Quicken, then make sure that Ally account has enough funds to cover everything. Having a Chase checking account would not make this more convenient!

arf30

Post by arf30 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:03 pm

The basic Chase accounts don't make for great backup checking, to avoid fees you either need direct deposit, $1500 sitting in the account doing nothing, or a ton of other assets with the bank. A backup checking should be low or no minimum, and maybe have a local branch or two.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:22 pm

I don't own a business. I have one credit union checking account. Although like most, I don't write a lot of checks but all of my auto pays come from that account and I use it as my main account to transfer money to various high yield savings accounts. I don't see a reason to have another checking account. I also have never used an ATM except the one in my credit union lobby when the line is too long inside or when they're not open.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Topic Author
togb

Post by togb » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:05 pm

OP here. I think I can get down to 4 very quickly. Then I'll reevaluate in a year.
No more direct deposits to 4 different accounts will also simplify things.
I'll keep the checking attached to brokerage. I've probably written 10 checks in 10 years, but there are times I need a large check, without the delay of transferring to a bank who may hold funds.
I'll keep ONE (the one with prettier checks) from BBVA Compass, with whom I have a 20 year history and they've been good. Its sometimes handy to say, I've been a customer for 20 years, when you want something.
I'll keep the account that's specific to the real estate investments, for tax reasons.
And I'll keep the Hawaii account and the Chase account for now. One of those will be gone within the year,

The others will be gone next week. Simplify! Streamline! After all for all I know I'm already in cognitive decline.....
It did occur to me after writing my original post, that my mother also had many accounts. (more than me). And I was shaking my head as I tried to sort out why she needed one to receive SS, another to receive retirement, another just for charitable contributions, etc etc. I understood why she had one for her rental property.... but I think she had 11 altogether, and 10 had very minimal activity. I may have inherited this quirk, but I really should have checked myself when I saw her situation and had to sort it out. Oh well, can't go back, but I can absolutely go forward.

Thanks all for your help and support.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:43 pm

arf30 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:03 pm
The basic Chase accounts don't make for great backup checking, to avoid fees you either need direct deposit, $1500 sitting in the account doing nothing, or a ton of other assets with the bank. A backup checking should be low or no minimum, and maybe have a local branch or two.
I got around that by opening a Chase You Invest account and buying $5K in Treasury bonds. (Of course you could hold any type of security in the account.) $5K average over the month in total between the checking and the brokerage account gets free checking. (Just be careful, the amount in the brokerage account that counts towards the average is the prior end of months balance. Of course when I first opened it the prior end of month balance was $0 so they dinged me with a $12 charge for the checking account because my average was <$5K. I contacted them and they reversed the $12 charge. Has worked fine ever since.

This is what Chase says:
$12 monthly service fee OR $0 with one of the following each monthly statement period:

Direct deposit totaling $500 or more made to this account1 Footnote
OR a balance at the beginning of each day of $1,500 or more in this account
OR an average beginning day balance of $5,000 or more in any combination of this account and linked qualifying deposits Footnote/investments.

(Qualifying personal investments include the following: Prior end of month balances for investment and annuity products offered by JPMorgan Chase & Co. or its affiliates and agencies)

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:28 pm

Regarding that Safe Deposit Box (SDB) that's 8 hours away, I'd prioritize going by to clear that out sooner rather than later. A few years ago, my local bank (smaller national chain) decide to close the local branch and consolidate w/ a newer branch that they'd built a few miles away. So I got a notice to retrieve my SDB's contents within the next 6 weeks.

Make sure that bank has up-to-date contact info, and you might want to think about closing that SDB out on your schedule. If something similar happens to you, it'd be unfortunate to have to buy plane tickets on short notice, just because of a safe deposit box...

Hat

Post by Hat » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:43 am

I have zero checking accounts and two savings accounts.

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:12 am

When seeing the title of this thread, the first thought was another Wells Fargo victim!: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_F ... ud_scandal

If you can consolidate to 4, that would be a good idea. I have a few, and might close out one of them after a CD matures. The bank doesn't offer very competitive rates, but in order to have "free" checking and safe deposit box, I have to park almost a years worth of expenses in a CD there.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:02 am

togb wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:05 pm
I'll keep ONE (the one with prettier checks) from BBVA Compass, with whom I have a 20 year history and they've been good. Its sometimes handy to say, I've been a customer for 20 years, when you want something.
There is no need to stick with the bank's default checks. You can buy checks from third party vendors for any checking account.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:01 pm

cherijoh wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:02 am
togb wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:05 pm
There is no need to stick with the bank's default checks. You can buy checks from third party vendors for any checking account.
I have found that most people who require checks are fine if I say this to them: "I do not have any checks, but I will ask my credit union to send you a check which you will receive in about a week." Then I go online, request bill payment via check, and my credit union cuts the check, addresses it, puts it in an envelope, and mails it for me. I also have stopped by my credit union and asked for a sheet of checks. They print it up for me. No need to pay for a few checks. I think they will give me 12 checks at a time. I much prefer requesting the check to be written and sent by the credit union, because they debit my account as soon as I request the check.

Elam

Post by Elam » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:50 pm

For various reasons, I wound up with 4 checking accounts... now I don't feel so weird.

LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:36 pm

I have 3 checking accounts. It helps me keep stuff that needs to be separate separate.

Couple of rhetorical questions. Does your #3 financial place provide services in the 8 hour away place you use to live? Does Chase bank provide services in the 8 hour away place you use to live?

If either of those places are also there - you could plan to close the #7 safe deposit box and the accounts the next time you are there. You can then use your #3 financial place or Chase for $$ when you are there.

I'd probably also close the Chase account (I assume you have to keep a minimum balance, and have a direct deposit or transfer every month to keep it free.) You can set up a bill pay from your #3 financial institution and still pay the Amazon Chase card bill with a few clicks.

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:52 pm

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal to have as many as 8 accounts. We have 6 and I don’t own a business. But all the accounts have their purpose, so if you don’t need an account close it.

Blue Man

novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:08 am

LilyFleur wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:01 pm
I also have stopped by my credit union and asked for a sheet of checks.
Have you accounted for the dollar cost of time it takes to stop by your credit union vs the dollar cost of ordering checks ?

spinj

Post by spinj » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:25 am

We have 7:
  • 1 Main checking for marriage.
  • 2 Brokerage (my legacy, our marital joint)
  • 2 Rentals
  • 2 Pre-mariage (our pre-marriage main checking acts)
Only one I'd consider closing is the 2nd brokerage account. That said we write ~3 checks a month (cleaners every other week and 1 misc) all from the main checking. No fees since the non-brokerage accounts are on some amount of direct deposit (in the case of my rental it's 1¢ a paycheck - f* you chase!).

No need for checking but we do like having separate accounts for different purposes. Like different rooms in our house for different uses.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:26 am

I vote in favor of simplicity. Cancel the ones you don't need or aren't using (or likely to use). Surprised you aren't getting killed by account maintenance fees (unless you are tying up funds in these accounts to avoid the fees, in which case you probably aren't earning much interest).

FWIW, I have two checking accounts. One at BofA (my real checking account) and one is part of my brokerage account at Fidelity. I have not written a check off the brokerage account in many, many years. I also don't write more than a half dozen to ten checks each year (from the BofA account). I do have a lot of activity through it, just not checks.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:49 am

Hat wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:43 am
Do you use a credit card? How to you pay the credit card bill? How do you pay utilities?

Elam

Post by Elam » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:38 am

iamblessed wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:49 am
Hat wrote:

Do you use a credit card? How to you pay the credit card bill? How do you pay utilities?

Good questions.

My utilities [and almost everything else] either go on my cash rewards cc [which is linked to my checking account] or automatically debited from my checking account.

Bern

Post by Bern » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:09 pm

If you have a long history of transactions at a particular bank, don't close the account. If you do they will eventually purge your records which could prove useful at some point. Also with a business, you may receive a random check to deposit, like from a class action settlement. If the business account is closed, how would you deposit?

gator1

Post by gator1 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:11 pm

iamblessed wrote:
Hat wrote:
For me, I only have 1 Savings account and 0 checking accounts (can't get any more simple then that), and I use my cash rewards CC (my only CC) to pay for everything, then pay it off in full with my savings which is linked to the CC.

Hat

Post by Hat » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:05 pm

iamblessed wrote:
Hat wrote:
I use 2 credit cards for everything and pay them from my Ally savings account.

iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:16 pm

Hat wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:05 pm
iamblessed wrote:
Hat wrote:
I use 2 credit cards for everything and pay them from my Ally savings account.
Learning something everyday you can pay a credit card with a savings account. Is that done on the bank end or the credit card end? How do you set that up? Do any of these place charge a fee like your utilities or taxes?
Last edited by iamblessed on Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shess

Post by shess » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:23 pm

iamblessed wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:16 pm
Learning something everyday you can pay a credit card with a savings account. Is that done on the bank end or the credit card end? Do any of these place charge a fee like your utilities or taxes?
This actually blew my mind. I was using Ally, and had setup a checking account named "CC Billpay" which I had my credit cards draw from. At some point, I had to change something about an autopay, and really read the part where it gave me a popup to select "Checking" or "Savings". Once I realized what was up, I opened a new _savings_ account to cover that, and shifted everything over.

The additional 1% interest on my funds waiting to be dispersed is, of course, appreciated. But what really makes me happy about this is that I no longer obsess about when to shift the money between accounts. Previously, I often just did it when it was convenient and EVERY TIME I had to override my little voice saying "But the interest!" Now I can just shift it and not worry about it. I realize the little voice was just dumb (it isn't _that_ big of a difference), but it was a persistent little voice ...

iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:28 pm

shess wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:23 pm
iamblessed wrote:
Learning something everyday you can pay a credit card with a savings account. Is that done on the bank end or the credit card end? Do any of these place charge a fee like your utilities or taxes?
This actually blew my mind. I was using Ally, and had setup a checking account named "CC Billpay" which I had my credit cards draw from. At some point, I had to change something about an autopay, and really read the part where it gave me a popup to select "Checking" or "Savings". Once I realized what was up, I opened a new _savings_ account to cover that, and shifted everything over.

The additional 1% interest on my funds waiting to be dispersed is, of course, appreciated. But what really makes me happy about this is that I no longer obsess about when to shift the money between accounts. Previously, I often just did it when it was convenient and EVERY TIME I had to override my little voice saying "But the interest!" Now I can just shift it and not worry about it. I realize the little voice was just dumb (it isn't _that_ big of a difference), but it was a persistent little voice ...
It sounds like you set in up from the credit card side. Am I understanding that right?

ndpage

Post by ndpage » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:31 pm

I had 4 (two real ones, two that were attached to online savings accounts where I never use the checking and they have $5 in them) and then when my mom passed away I ended up controlling three more for my dad - his real one, one where the family SDB is held, and one with a mini-branch in the retirement complex where he lives that basically gives him a sense of security since he doesn't use an ATM card.

So I have 7, but I really only use 3. My dad's SS check goes into and minor expenses come out of his checking account (including paying the credit card he uses for almost everything when he's outside the house) to make tax time simpler, my expenses come out of my primary one or a number of single-purpose savings accounts at Ally, and my secondary checking gets $200/month in direct deposit and is only used for ATMs as a fraud firewall from the rest of my cash.

shess

Post by shess » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:43 pm

iamblessed wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:28 pm
shess wrote:
iamblessed wrote:

It sounds like you set in up from the credit card side. Am I understanding that right?
Yes. The credit card company(ies) do a pull for the statement amount. It might be a different term, what I mean is the "paid in full, you won't pay interest" amount. Having the credit-card company doing the pull was part of why I got Ally in the first place, so I could easily have a sub-account to pull from, rather than the primary account. I also have them all synchronized to the first of the month, so I can just reconcile and make sure there's enough money in that account, rather than revisiting things many times as statements arrive.

iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:52 pm

shess wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:43 pm
iamblessed wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:28 pm
shess wrote:
iamblessed wrote:

Yes. The credit card company(ies) do a pull for the statement amount. It might be a different term, what I mean is the "paid in full, you won't pay interest" amount. Having the credit-card company doing the pull was part of why I got Ally in the first place, so I could easily have a sub-account to pull from, rather than the primary account. I also have them all synchronized to the first of the month, so I can just reconcile and make sure there's enough money in that account, rather than revisiting things many times as statements arrive.
Thanks

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:54 am

novemberrain wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:08 am
LilyFleur wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:01 pm
I also have stopped by my credit union and asked for a sheet of checks.
Have you accounted for the dollar cost of time it takes to stop by your credit union vs the dollar cost of ordering checks ?
I hand write about one check a year (some years, none). I usually pick up a sheet of checks when I am at the credit union for a different reason. Trips to the credit union are combined with other errands on the same street within a mile or two, and the credit union is less than two miles from my home.) I have enough checks at home to last me several years.
Not sure how I would calculate the dollar cost of time on that, but it seemed fairly low cost to me.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:53 am

togb wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:20 pm
I was working on finances, and had a hugely embarrassing "aha moment".

I have a lot of checking accounts. I don't write very many checks-- most bills are paid online. But there are a few people who get checks-- so yes, I should have a checking account and paper checks. But I have 7 checking accounts.

Some for good reasons and I should keep these:
1. checking account attached to after tax brokerage account. That's where EF sits, so yes, it makes sense to have the ability to write a check, even if it's not very often. I can transfer electronically, but I still like the option to write a check.
2. Checking account specific to real estate holdings. That makes sense, it's a business, and I should have a separate account for it.
3. The main account that I operate my house/life from.

Some used to be for good reasons but no longer make sense, and I just failed to notice. I should close these.
4. An account for a business that is no longer a business. I still have expenses, but I don't report them, write them off, and there is nothing from this that is required for taxes. I was just used to having it, so kept it. When I close it, I can just pay these expenses from #3 above.
5. An account that was opened locally in my small town, in case I needed something from a bank close by, or to use an ATM without a fee. It's a dud bank, and the ATM is usually not working. I need to close this account.

And then some that I'm not sure whether to keep or not. I'll close one of these but maybe not immediately.
7. An account from somewhere I used to live, and still have a safety deposit box, and just haven't returned to close it and retrieve my things. (It's an 8 hour flight). So I kept the checking account, and actually started using it as a place to park savings for when I return on vacation. I think for now I'll keep it, even though there are no local branches, but once I close the SDB, I should probably close this one too. If I can't stand to close it, I'll close Chase instead.

This will simplify my life a little-- streamline my direct deposits, and I can throw away some boxes of checks, which will clear a little drawer space. I'm a little embarrassed that I just "stayed the course" and did not think about this sooner. Has this been the case for others? Or did I just miss the boat???
Not quite 8, but maybe a half dozen. Mainly due to bank bonus promotionals. I'll probably close most of them after sitting on a minimum no fee balance for about a year.

We write very few checks.