What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
desiboy

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by desiboy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:21 am

Faith20879 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:56 am
This actually happened last Saturday, not today. But nevertheless...

My old Jansport backpack's lining went to pieces after a hike last Friday. Found a nice Targus backpack with better features at Burlington. At the checkout, was told that I was one of the lucky participants of Maryland's "tax-free week". Saved a couple of $s.
Jansport has a lifetime warranty you may want to try out:

https://www.jansport.com/customer-servi ... ranty.html

-desiboy

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:35 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:30 am
I went to Costco yesterday and discovered the Dyson Vacuum clean I bought last month for $339 was on sale for $279. I went home and got my receipt and returned and got a credit for $64 based on their lowest price guarantee. Costco is so easy to deal with in matters like this.
Good to be reminded of ;)

kacang

Post by kacang » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:46 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:30 am
I went to Costco yesterday and discovered the Dyson Vacuum clean I bought last month for $339 was on sale for $279. I went home and got my receipt and returned and got a credit for $64 based on their lowest price guarantee. Costco is so easy to deal with in matters like this.
I've done similar without a receipt. Costco has records of all our purchases in their system and the customer service rep just pulled it up & gave me the credit on the spot.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:06 pm

I ate store brand cereal with blueberries for supper tonight. Both were purchased on sale. Often I will do the following, mostly for health benefits:

Breakfast like a king/queen
Lunch like a prince/princess
Supper like a pauper

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:11 pm

Passed on buying my dream car. Even though I could pay cash and it was a great deal, the car I have now works just fine and i couldn’t bring myself to replace it simply because I wanted to.
Making cents out of every dollar.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Colorado13 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:06 pm
I ate store brand cereal with blueberries for supper tonight. Both were purchased on sale. Often I will do the following, mostly for health benefits:

Supper like a pauper
Ha! Since I started "Intermittent Fasting" a few weeks ago, breakfast has been erased from my vocabulary. So I've been feeling more frugal than usual recently.

birdy

Post by birdy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:33 pm

Used a coupon at Burger King and ate lunch for $3.25!

birdy

birdy

Post by birdy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:37 pm

Oh my gosh! Just realized this was a post from 2017!!!!!

birdy

SantaClaraSurfer

Post by SantaClaraSurfer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:36 pm

1. Used Good Budget.
2. We skipped a restaurant brunch an made French Toast w fresh Brioche Challah $5.28, and berries, cream and eggs we had at home.

Seriously, we started Good Budget to be able to use our ATM card everywhere and not do the cash envelope thing. But now that we have an array of monthly / annual / lifestyle envelopes all backed up with cash, it frees us up to spend money in creative and targeted ways. Basically, we save to spend. It's actually kind of cool.

(We belong to the school of lock down a solid savings rate, give as generously as you can, and then thoroughly enjoy the remainder.)

IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:22 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:28 pm
Colorado13 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:06 pm

Supper like a pauper
Ha! Since I started "Intermittent Fasting" a few weeks ago, breakfast has been erased from my vocabulary. So I've been feeling more frugal than usual recently.
I've started intermittent fasting and I'm down a few pounds by eliminating breakfast. Saves a few dollars a week, but I didn't spend a lot on breakfast food to begin with. We raise chickens so I have fresh eggs available to me every day. Just saving them for lunch now.
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers

Post by 123 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:24 pm

birdy wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:33 pm
Used a coupon at Burger King and ate lunch for $3.25!

birdy
I'm a sucker for their $5 Whopper combo specials, but I can only squeeze in maybe 1 or 2 a month on my schedule. I remember when I got the same deal for $1.99 at the drive-thru years ago.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:56 pm

Big week:

Bought a new speaker system for my computer. Same one as I already have, but I spilled soda pop on one of the speakers earlier in the week. Tried to fix it but no can do. New system is 2/3 the cost of the old system. So I "saved" 1/3, sort of.

Made some gazpacho from older vegetables in my fridge and on my counter. Tasty and healthful.

Planned a few fall vacations in advance so I won't waste time deciding what to do, at least on a nominal basis.

EvelynTroy

Post by EvelynTroy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:15 am

My cat is recuperating from surgery - a broken leg. He received pain medication (a narcotic) for home - dispensed in pre-measured syringes. A total of 4 ml. worth of medication. He receives doses of 0.2 ml. Cost at the specialty hospital $120.
He needed a refill - the specialty hospital is 25 minute drive.
My local vet had called to see how he was doing, and happened to think maybe they could refill the medication and only have 5 minute drive.
Yes they could - a 6 ml. bottle $38.25 - saved $81.75 and 20 minutes driving.

mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:46 am

Our pear tree has over 500 pears on it so we've been eating them, gifting them, and dehydrating them with cinnamon.

Apple tree is loaded as well and they'll be ready next week. I'll be making apple sauce, butter, and dehydrating those for apple chips. Plenty to share.

This is the first year I've attempted to use as many as we I can - squirrels typically take a bunch of them.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:00 am

^^^ We have an on-going thread: Gardening 2019
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

ArcticMike

Post by ArcticMike » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:59 am

desiboy wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:21 am
Faith20879 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:56 am
This actually happened last Saturday, not today. But nevertheless...

My old Jansport backpack's lining went to pieces after a hike last Friday. Found a nice Targus backpack with better features at Burlington. At the checkout, was told that I was one of the lucky participants of Maryland's "tax-free week". Saved a couple of $s.

-desiboy
LL Bean gave me full credit for an old (20+ yo) backpack that also had a 'lining failure'. I was pleasantly surprised and bought another one from them for about the same price.

brandy

Post by brandy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:16 pm

I'm a painter. Today I'm using oil paint. I have 4 canvas' I'm working on. One is from early 80's that, due to a change in it's location and my greater knowledge of painting, needed some changes. Some have been made, and today, hoping to complete it (for at least 40 more years) I am using older paints to mix the desired colors. A conscious choice, as some of the old tubes can begin to become useless. Use'em or lose'em!
Yesterday I salvaged a previously used canvas and used the blank side for a small practice piece, I plan to do the same later today.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:37 pm

praxis wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:38 pm
I went to the gym this morning like a lot of you. I believe it is the best thing I do for my health. In the big picture, if I stay in shape, I will be healthier. Exercising takes effort and commitment. As I watch my friends and relatives age, the ones that don't stay in shape pay more in health care costs. I believe my time at the gym pays big dividends. I feel better and sleep better. The price of our gym membership is tiny. If I could save the cost by working out alone at home, I would. But belonging to the gym gets me going. If you can do your workouts by yourself, congratulations.
If there are shower facilities there - perhaps use the gym's hot water ;)

My wife and I belong to low cost County community gyms. We often shower there - taxpayers paying for water, hot water, soap and clean towel :)

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:40 pm

Ate at Chipotle's -

I get the veggie bowl - figured out that the bowl seems to have more in it than the burrito. With the veggie bowl, no added (normally 2.15) charge for guacamole, Also figured out that there is not added charge to get a large tortilla with the bowl ($7.50 plus tax for the veggie).

Just get water to drink (no charge).

IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:56 pm

mrsbetsy wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:46 am
Our pear tree has over 500 pears on it so we've been eating them, gifting them, and dehydrating them with cinnamon.

Apple tree is loaded as well and they'll be ready next week. I'll be making apple sauce, butter, and dehydrating those for apple chips. Plenty to share.

This is the first year I've attempted to use as many as we I can - squirrels typically take a bunch of them.
I love home made food! We have a small apple orchard, but the they won't be ready for about another month. I love making apple sauce and apple butter, and my husband loves the pies!
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers

BelfastFlyer

Post by BelfastFlyer » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:54 am

Talked the better half out of getting a new oven. Spent about $12 on new elements instead.

Not sure how long I'll get away with it, she hates the oven and feels like we need new elements every 9 months.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:01 am

My wife is big on participating in "Pot Luck" things. She gets a variety of food and her contributions to these are modest, but very fair.

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:19 am

desiboy wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:21 am

Whoa, I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday. Thank you!
ArcticMike wrote: LL Bean gave me full credit for an old (20+ yo) backpack that also had a 'lining failure'. I was pleasantly surprised and bought another one from them for about the same price.
That got me thinking, how many times can one apply for such a replacement/credit? Imagine the replacement breaks again and are they going to replace that one too? How do they make a profit?

[Edited to add:]

Urghhh, just check my backpack, it was a freebie from Dannon many decades ago. It has a Dannon logo (bigger than the Jansport wording) on the front. Guess no replacement for this one. Thanks just the same!

IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:47 am

I made egg salad sandwich for lunch, using our own farm fresh eggs, and a peach that was on sale this week. Very good, too! Oh yea, and skipped breakfast again.

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:48 pm

I went out into the heart of nature + ate berries from a tree for breakfast.

Wings5

Post by Wings5 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:43 pm

Said no thanks to the landscapers and cut my lawn myself. Contributed their rate to my kids' Coverdell ESA.

Side note: Immediately shifting the savings has helped my financial psychology.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:50 pm

Dropped my weight by 16 lbs over the past year. My bmi is < 25 now. Reduced my risk of heart disease diabetes and risk for falls fractures osteoporosis improved my mobility and general well being. What better way to be frugal than to eat less and reduce future healthcare costs?

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:54 pm

I went to a $1.99 dry cleaner. Figured what the heck. My dry cleaner was going to charge $20 to clean my wool coat (old). They run specials where it would drop to $18. If I don't like the $1.99 job, I will catch mine on a day they have a special. I'm curious what corners the $1.99 guys are cutting if any. Perhaps its the pressing or finishing.

This afternoon, I worked on hand aerating the front yard with a homemade tool.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:12 pm

sksbog wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:46 pm
Switched to AT&T prepaid , $25 a month 8 GB plan :D
How much is it per month all in, after taxes/fees/all the BS charges the carriers soak you for? I’m considering it.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:55 pm

IowaFarmWife wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:47 am
I made egg salad sandwich for lunch, using our own farm fresh eggs, and a peach that was on sale this week. Very good, too! Oh yea, and skipped breakfast again.
Peaches in egg salad... :confused

frugalecon

Post by frugalecon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:58 pm

Spent no money.

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:40 pm

Updated the stereo in our two 2003 Honda Pilots myself. Added an adapter on each of them that lets us plug in our phones to these ancient devices that have CD and cassette players! $80 per car instead of $300-400-ish PER VEHICLE to have a local shop put in a new stereo system. Turns out to be very easy with a $10 toolkit from amazon and a few youtube videos for instructions on how to do it.

And I like the result more than the very complicated new stereo systems.

IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:09 am

tooluser wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:55 pm
IowaFarmWife wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:47 am
Peaches in egg salad... :confused
Nope. :D Sliced a peach and had it as a side dish.

praxis

Post by praxis » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:23 am

Just drove 1200 miles alone over about 36 hours. I drive this route about 6 times a year but usually with DW and we have a regular halfway point and when traveling together, stay in a Holiday Inn Express for $84 and eat at a country restaurant for about $50. Been doing this for over 10 years. This trip, doing all the driving myself, I made it to the halfway town, but I was bushed. Pulled in to a Motel 6 next to the Holiday Inn and found the room to be very clean for $48. Walked across the street and bought two slices from Cici's Pizza for $1.08, brought it back to the room and drank a beer from my cooler. Showered and slept like a baby.

finfire

Post by finfire » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:31 am

Took the $2 the tooth fairy left my daughter and put it in her piggy bank. That'll go towards college bills in the future. :moneybag
Last edited by finfire on Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:31 am

praxis wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:23 am
Just drove 1200 miles alone over about 36 hours. I drive this route about 6 times a year but usually with DW and we have a regular halfway point and when traveling together, stay in a Holiday Inn Express for $84 and eat at a country restaurant for about $50. Been doing this for over 10 years. This trip, doing all the driving myself, I made it to the halfway town, but I was bushed. Pulled in to a Motel 6 next to the Holiday Inn and found the room to be very clean for $48. Walked across the street and bought two slices from Cici's Pizza for $1.08, brought it back to the room and drank a beer from my cooler. Showered and slept like a baby.
When I was younger - and single - I commonly made such long trips over long hours in my 1967 VW Beetle.

I had one trip timed so that I only needed to make one stop for gasoline and bathroom break. :happy

On one long trip. I drove non-stop (just fuel and bathroom, maybe food) from Northern Michigan Upper Peninsula to Washington DC. On another, I drove nonstop from central Florida to Washington DC.

Once I got married, and my wife traveled with me - I could no longer do such long, nearly non-stop trips. :twisted:

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:32 am

finfire wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:31 am
Took the $2 the tooth fairly left my daughter and put it in her piggy bank. That'll go towards college bills in the future. :moneybag
Looks like the tooth fairy is keeping up with inflation!!

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:11 am

dm200 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:31 am
praxis wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:23 am
When I was younger - and single - I commonly made such long trips over long hours in my 1967 VW Beetle.

I had one trip timed so that I only needed to make one stop for gasoline and bathroom break. :happy

On one long trip. I drove non-stop (just fuel and bathroom, maybe food) from Northern Michigan Upper Peninsula to Washington DC. On another, I drove nonstop from central Florida to Washington DC.

Once I got married, and my wife traveled with me - I could no longer do such long, nearly non-stop trips. :twisted:
I made countless 1500+ mile trips alone, I did Salt Lake-Houston at least 7 times by myself in my little Nissan hardbody pick-up truck. I would stop and use the restroom when I refueled and I recall parking behind a gas station once in the middle of the night and sleeping for a few hours, but otherwise it was 25-30hrs nonstop. No idea how I did, anything more than 3 hours of driving wipes me out now.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:26 am

I'm using generic sunscreen again today.

But it won't cover the cost of the island rental cottage, the 4wd 4Runner, the cut bait and shrimp, or even the real maple syrup for the french toast my wife made for brunch. Heck, it won't even cover the $15 ferry ride from Swan Quarter to Ocracoke.

But I saved a few bucks by going generic.

We did save $500+ for the week by renting directly from our friends instead of going through their rental agency.

finfire

Post by finfire » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:14 pm

haven't had a shower today. Reckon I'll just wash off in the neighbor's pool. Hope they don't find out.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:44 pm

Although I am not scheduled to work on Saturdays, I went in to work for a while yesterday morning and had several cups of employer coffee vs paying for coffee elsewhere. There is coffee available there because it is a regular workday for some employees.

cashboy

Post by cashboy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:57 pm

bought 12 bottles of wine to get the liquor store's '15% off case' discount.

:sharebeer
FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX - CD - CASH - canned beans - rice

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:04 pm

olliema wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:47 am
not all in one day, but a few key ones over past few months:

1. bought 3x jars of peanut butter at WF to get an amazon 'prime day' credit which I used to buy a replenishment item, saving $10
2. found a public link to discounted aquarium tickets and went off hours, saving $36
3. overheard wife say she was going to buy a book on amazon, took her to library and got it for free, same day, saving $10
4. used the leafy greens from beets as a sautee instead of tossing them, saving $1
5. converted an old B&N gift card I would never use at Target to buy tax software and deodorant, saving $32
6. caught a recurring annual renewal fee a fax service I never use, saving $84
7. caught a recurring amazon subscription item's price going up 130%, cancelled the subscription and bought the item elsewhere, saving $90
8. escalated various Amazon shipping errors (wrong address, late, etc.) and Target pricing issues, earning $50+ credit
9. bringing a thermos of coffee to work and making afternoon coffee at work with an aeropress, saving $60/month
10. turning off gas service for summertime, saving about $70
How do you convert a gift card for Barnes and Noble at Target?

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:13 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:20 pm
JediMisty wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:11 pm
dm200 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:17 pm
littlebird wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:40 pm
Am getting my spouse’s cremated remains back today. After sending his body to the crematorium, I was solicited to donate it for research. I am extremely interested in the effort to find a cure for Alzheimer’s, and although he did not have Alzheimer’s, he did have a neurological disorder. So, I was willing to agree. Only after I agreed, did they reveal to me that in return they would pay all his direct cremation expenses, even including all necessary death certificates and mailing expenses, amounting to about $900. I gave them the right to keep his body for up to two years, but just about five weeks after death, they have had it cremated and are returning it.
Having spent exactly nothing on his death, I am now in the process of spending some of the saving on having the ashes scattered at a remote site of personal and historical significance to us, an extravagance, but a very meaningful one, that I probably never would have considered absent the frugal thing I did unknowingly.
I am considering that myself.
I have signed up for my body to go to the local medical school. Locally, one must pre-apply. One's SO must pay for the transport, but the cremation after they're done is at their expense. It's all arranged.
I am seriously considering the same thing. You must have a "backup" plan (such as cremation) because:
1. The medical school is not taking donated bodies at the time of your death
2. You die while traveling a distance away
3. The condition of your body and/or cause of death precludes the donation

I will check again, but I think the medical school's donation program I investigated does pay for the transportation of the body.

I know someone who was the next-of-kin for her elderly aunt - whose body was donated to a local medical school. it took about two years, or so, for the cremated remains of her aunt to be returned for disposition. The local medical school I am evaluating will either return the cremated remains to the family or "bury" such remains in a local cemetery. I also plan to have my cremated remains or body (if that happens) buried in a National Cemetery (I am a veteran) - as well as my wife. if we are both cremated (she is not convinced - yet), we can have our cremated remains place in the Columbarium of Arlington National Cemetery.
I've thought about doing this, but I really don't want my organs to end up in the "Spare Parts Bin." This bin hold extra "parts" for medical students to use during labs when their assigned cadaver has either a missing or badly damaged organ.

It's basically a big vat of liquid preservative with hearts, kidneys, livers, etc. bobbing and floating around.

I really don't care what happens after I'm done with my body in general, but there's something about the Spare Parts Bin that doesn't sit well with me.

I told my spouse to have me cremated and put me out with bulk trash. Anything but the Spare Parts Bin :D

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:16 pm

Organized, photographed, and valued (according to the Goodwill valuation recommendations) a ton of clothing to donate. Even with very low, conservative valuations, the total donation will be $1395 (one family member is a big-time hoarder but is downsizing). I really need tax deductions so that I can deduct my pricey new health insurance, so hopefully this will help.

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:28 pm

I booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express instead of the regular Holiday Inn. It was cheaper but I prefer the Express anyway.

walnut

Post by walnut » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:46 pm

I bought a backup camera at Best Buy for $150 for my 2010 KIA instead of a new car to get this feature.

barefootjan

Post by barefootjan » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:49 am

raisinsaregrapes wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:12 am
I packed up all my things and put them in a storage unit. Got rid of all rent and utility payments. Moved my family in with the in-laws and deployed to a 3rd world country were I would have pretty much zero expenses......

The little things add up. :|
I like to stretch a dollar as much as the next fella but this post stopped me right in my tracks. Wow. Sure puts things into perspective. I’m pretty choked up right now.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I hope you and your family are doing well.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:24 am

Last evening, my wife and went to see a movie - the local theater (where you can also get meals served at your table) had "Discount Mondays" - admission $6.50 per person vs $10.00 other days and times.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:00 am

Last evening -

1. used my 50% off "senior pass" to take bus and subway to Major League Baseball Playoff game.

2. For the game, bought lowest price ticket available - standing room - and found wonderful area to watch the game - up high - right behind home plate :) There was a nice place to sit behind where I stood - and I sat down for a few minutes between innings.