Kindergarten lunches

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bogleraw

Kindergarten lunches

Post by bogleraw »

We have a 5 year old starting kindergarten next week. Anybody have any tips for how to go about building healthy school lunches that don't take a lot of time to put together and that are cost effective?
Jmh04j

Re: Kindergarten lunches

Post by Jmh04j »

Sandwiches - PB&J or Deli Meat
Fruit
Veggie Straws or some other type of healthy(ish) option.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Presumably one would feed their child the same things they are eating now before they go to school. So what does your child eat for lunch now?

My kids told me about parents who bring lunches to school for their children: There is a line of parents with the meals outside the cafeteria to hand to their children.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Mako

Post by Mako »

My two younger kids are in daycare not school yet, but we have to make them lunch. They usually get a sandwich (usually PB plain or with honey, maybe lunch meat) and four things. Two fruits (half banana, small apple, apple sauce, raisins, fruit cup, whatever), one dairy (cheese or yogurt) and one snack type thing (some pretzels, goldfish, veg straws but also carrot sticks or celery). Sometimes omit the not so healthy snack.

My oldest is in school and is the pickiest eater in the world except he likes getting school lunch. Fine with me.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Sandwich, fruit/veggies, and cookie.
SuperSaver1975

Post by SuperSaver1975 »

Jmh04j wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:40 am Veggie Straws or some other type of healthy(ish) option.
Those are just another highly processed food. You could say twizzlers are veggie straws because the ingredients are all from plants. It's better to view those as pure junk food & candy.
gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 »

Jmh04j wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:40 am Sandwiches - PB&J or Deli Meat
Fruit
Dont think you can even go out in public with peanut butter anymore, much less elementary school. Im surprised you can even still buy it.
Calico

Post by Calico »

Even when my daughter was that young she wouldn't eat meat (which left out most sandwiches), she hated and still does hate the cafeteria food, and nuts weren't allowed so I came up with creative lunches. A favorite was "pasta salad" that I made with whole wheat pasta, cut cherry tomatoes, celery and pesto. If it gets room temperature, that's okay (but I put it in an insulated lunch bag). She also liked hummus with carrots and cherry tomatoes. Sometimes I would make home made mac and cheese and put it in a Thermos for her. The one sandwich I would make for her was cream cheese and jelly.

Fun thing I used to do when she was young. I brought her to the store and gave her $20. I told her she needed an entree and a fruit or veggie minimum, but the rest of the lunch was up to her. If anything had to be cooked, I would cook it for her. Whatever money was left over was hers to keep. Early on she would spend almost the whole $20 for a week's worth of lunch. But then she caught on. First she stopped buying cupcakes and chips. Then she started paying attention to prices better. I made my child into a frugal shopper at a young age. She'd seek out sales or things like the pasta salad that were cheap to make.

She's in high school and takes care of her own lunches completely now.
I am a mere Boglehead apprentice... even after all these years.
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

Our daughter loves cold pasta in pesto. We would buy the veggie pasta too.

Pp&j are common meals as well.
SuperSaver1975

Post by SuperSaver1975 »

The best thing I ever did to help my kids eat healthy was I made an iron-clad rule at one point: "Every meal MUST have at least one whole, unprocessed plant food". Obviously that's vegetables and fruits, but also nuts & seeds, like almonds or pumpkin seeds. The meals we can control well, breakfast and dinner, always met this rule. And whatever plants they are able to eat at those 2 meals can also be sent in their school lunch.

For my kids, little by little, the list of whole, unprocessed plant foods expanded to the point where every meal of every day, my kids eat a wide variety of fresh produce and nuts. They are super healthy and never get sick. I can't remember the last time they stayed home from school for illness, it's been many years.

What works well is building up the variety of healthy produce that they eat. Rather than have the kids eat a lot of one particular healthy food at a meal, we always have a wide variety of produce around, and give them a small amount of many things. It sounds time consuming but it's not, but even if it was it's worth it to instill healthy habits. Around my kids I frequently point out other people's unhealthy habits, and how disadvantageous it is to be unhealthy, like their grandmother who refuses to eat vegetables but has to go to the hospital all the time for medical issues that could have been completely prevented by eating well, like we do.

For school lunches we often send baby carrots, celery, and some fruits, along with some unhealthy food like PB&J & Sunchips. We never send anything like candy, because kids will find a way to get that stuff anyway.
veindoc

Post by veindoc »

My mantra for the kids is water, protein, fruit, vegetable and snack. They are elementary/middle school kids.

My kids didn’t like sandwiches in kindergarten so this is what I came up with. Now they do (hallelujah) and a pbj sandwich sometimes serves as the protein source.

Protein is yogurt, sandwich meat, small drumstick, cheese cubes.
Fruit is mandarin, apple, banana, grapes, strawberries, blueberries (in a Tupperware cup versus bag where they could get smashed)
Vegetables is cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumber circles. My kids never got into celery.

This was not enough to satisfy older son and he was always ravenous when he got home so a snack was added which could be popcorn, pretzel, hummus, applesauce, granola bar or muffin: essentially whatever I had available at home.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Some day cares check the lunches to see if they have required contents including protein, fruit, etc. Ask the teacher who has seen it all.

Tim
pjhalifax

Post by pjhalifax »

My go-to lunch for my son (last year pre-k, this year kindergarten) is a mini bagel with cream cheese, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, and grapes. Sometimes I throw a string cheese or some other protein source in there. His school is "nut aware" so we can't give him a PB&J...otherwise that would be in the rotation.

Sometimes I'll change things up with a chicken salad or egg salad sandwich - stuff that's easy to prepare on the weekend and slap together each morning.

No matter how lunch goes he's starving when I pick him up. In pre-k they had lunch at 1030 (!) and this year it's at 1130. I learned to do a second lunch when we got home in order to stave off the tired/hungry raging after school. :D
Maven

Post by Maven »

I look forward to these suggestions as we also have our oldest starting kindergarten. I'll add hummus and apple sauce pouches. Our daughter does not eat sandwiches so that does make it a bit more challenging. Good luck!
veindoc

Post by veindoc »

bogleraw wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:56 am We have a 5 year old starting kindergarten next week. Anybody have any tips for how to go about building healthy school lunches that don't take a lot of time to put together and that are cost effective?
Put together the meal before-hand night before. My kids needed all hands on deck to get them ready for school. Your child is probably better behaved than mine but just in case. I also put the items in Tupperware cups vs plastic bags. Make sure kids know how to open the cups or bags. I learned this the hard way.

When my littles started kindergarten I did small portions of a variety of things which is how I got to my secret formula detailed above because I wasn’t sure what they would eat. In the beginning they eat little because they are too excited talking to new friends so don’t worry too much about that. Over time they will eat more as they learn that if they don’t eat they won’t have any other opportunity later. Dont be too concerned if you send in the same item daily. I felt pressured to spice it up (mostly because I would never want to each the same lunch daily) but when I did the kids would protest. My youngest ate cherry tomatoes every day for probably four months. If I tried to give him carrots he would come home demandinf where were my tomatoes?

Another tip, if you send a water bottle, put it in a plastic bag. Kids never close it properly and it wets everything.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

Calico wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:25 am Even when my daughter was that young she wouldn't eat meat (which left out most sandwiches),
Copied from my post in another thread. I don't know why omnivores think not eating meat reduces them to almost no options:

Sandwich of cheese (2-3 types), tomato, lettuce, mayo, mustard.
As above, but sliced hard boiled eggs instead of cheese.
Egg salad sandwich, with lettuce, maybe with thinly sliced radishes.
Cream cheese and jelly sandwich.
Cream cheese and sliced pickles sandwich.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

I made bento boxes for my kids. They look fancy, but they're as easy to make as sandwiches. You pre-assemble the ingredients for the week, then simply arrange them in the box.

Here's examples of what I mean.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bento+b ... 5959486176

There are many ways to make a sandwich cute. Just cut it with a cookie cutter into different shapes. Same thing with vegetables. Kids that don't eat cucumbers, may eat one in the shape of a star.
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

bogleraw wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:56 am We have a 5 year old starting kindergarten next week. Anybody have any tips for how to go about building healthy school lunches that don't take a lot of time to put together and that are cost effective?
Our kids eat the school lunch. It may not be the healtiest, but it is inexpensive and doesn't require time, which is more important. They have a healthy breakfast and a healthy dinner, and I am less concerned about what they eat at school.

Be aware that kids that bring home lunches may have to sit at special tables since home lunches are not guaranteed to be allergy free.

Be aware that in some schools kids are only given 5 seconds to eat their lunch and often can't finish it in the allotted matter of time.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

DW and I have always focused on nutrition over processed food and refined carbs and sugars to avoid the roller coaster ride (sugar highs) while our children were growing up. It does cost a little more.

As a previous poster suggested, we also made "bento boxes", tupperware with heatlhy leftovers from home cooking.

We definitely avoided most of the "food" labeled "healthy", "veggie", "etc", at the supermarket.

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Fruit
Veggie straws are just potato chips....in a different form. :confused
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

PB&J on whole wheat, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, some kind of fruit (grapes, berries, oranges.). Sometimes a homemade cookie or small chocolate.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

Double check to see if the school is nut-free.

Sometimes the school is already providing a sandwich/deli option. And our kids also had a salad bar at their elementary school. Honestly, I think it was cheaper to have them just eat school lunch. It saved us time and money having to run to the store to purchase items and then put the lunch together.
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

Almonds generally work as well. Good fat and protein.

The challenge with Kindergarten is time. My kid gets 20 minutes to eat, that is not a lot of time. Especially when they become chatterboxes or distracted watching other kids.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

I cant believe people are saying Peanut butter, I thought all schools including day cares have banned it. I think it is a little extreme banning it, but I know most schools have.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

They can't eat the school lunch? Generally school lunches are fairly well-rounded and include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc.
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

Thegame14 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:24 am I cant believe people are saying Peanut butter, I thought all schools including day cares have banned it. I think it is a little extreme banning it, but I know most schools have.
No, in my area peanut butter is not banned by public schools, but kids that eat brown bag lunches are sequestered to a special table. They can't eat with their friends unless their friends also have brown bag lunches.
Calico

Post by Calico »

fru-gal wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:42 am
Calico wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:25 am Even when my daughter was that young she wouldn't eat meat (which left out most sandwiches),
Copied from my post in another thread. I don't know why omnivores think not eating meat reduces them to almost no options:

Sandwich of cheese (2-3 types), tomato, lettuce, mayo, mustard.
As above, but sliced hard boiled eggs instead of cheese.
Egg salad sandwich, with lettuce, maybe with thinly sliced radishes.
Cream cheese and jelly sandwich.
Cream cheese and sliced pickles sandwich.
In my daughter's case, she only liked soft boiled eggs at the time. So eggs were out too. I didn't explain that. And like I said, all nuts were banned form the school as well. It gives one limited options as far as protein goes especially when you add "kid friendly" to the list too (I said limited, not "almost no options").

I had to make a kid-friendly lunch that didn't need to be heated up and had no meat, eggs, or nuts but would keep her feeling full the rest of the day. I did forget she used to take cheese and crackers (whole wheat like Triscut). Should add that to the list. I did mention cream cheese and jelly.
Last edited by Calico on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
I am a mere Boglehead apprentice... even after all these years.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

miamivice wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:26 am
Thegame14 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:24 am I cant believe people are saying Peanut butter, I thought all schools including day cares have banned it. I think it is a little extreme banning it, but I know most schools have.
No, in my area peanut butter is not banned by public schools, but kids that eat brown bag lunches are sequestered to a special table. They can't eat with their friends unless their friends also have brown bag lunches.
So let's punish kids for their parents wanting them to eat healthy for the 1-2 kids in the entire school who "may" have an allergy.... seems harsh to me
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

That's how it is done at my children's school. In fact, they just assume kids are going to eat school lunch, so much that they automatically charge the kids' accounts until you tell them to stop. You have to notify the school that your kid will bring their lunch or you get automatically billed, for breakfast and lunch. It's ridiculous. My daughter says she's the only one in her class that brings a lunch; usually a PB and blueberry/raspberry/banana sandwich, a carrot, and an apple.
Arabesque

Post by Arabesque »

Cheese ravioli function as a cheese sandwich and calcium serving. I would boil them up the night before and put them in a baggie cold (without sauce) next morning.
Mako

Post by Mako »

None that I have sent my kids to have banned PB. Some have asked you label lunches having PB and they will have kids with known allergies sit separate from those kids.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Glockenspiel wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:33 am
Thegame14 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:29 am
Glockenspiel wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:28 am
gmc4h232 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:22 am
Fruit
Dont think you can even go out in public with peanut butter anymore, much less elementary school. Im surprised you can even still buy it.
Not to get off-topic, but if people just gave their infants peanut butter, occasionally, once they reach 6 months old, we'd have a lot fewer peanut allergies.
Good reminder, my son just turned 6 months, so we will have to give it to him soon
My daughter is now 13 months and we started out just mixing in a tiny smear of peanut butter into purees. Eventually she moved up to eating a full slice of whole grain bread with peanut butter.
One of the downsides of homeschooling is that I had no idea PB was so taboo now. Our kids have always eaten it by the literal spoonful since they could crawl, and I can't imagine restricting it 8+ hours a day, 5 days a week. Color me (now slightly less) ignorant!

The biggest issue in our house is my wife likes creamy and I like crunchy. *sigh*
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

been through now two different daycares, both 100% nut free, also one daycare doesn't even allow glass anything, so no glass jars of baby food and no glass containers for their lunch. My son gets soy butter and jelly on rice cakes once a week.
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

Glockenspiel wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:24 am
They can't eat the school lunch? Generally school lunches are fairly well-rounded and include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc.
One of my kids, who has otherwise been our more challenging eater, took to school lunches with a surprising amount of interest (I think he likes being able to decide in the moment), so we’ve done that. The other typically brings leftovers in a Thermos™.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

In addition to all the cold lunches mentioned, I send a lunch kept warm in a small food thermos about once a week in colder weather ... lentil soup, chili, pasta with marinara, baked beans with hot dogs, etc. The only downside is that most young kids can't easily open the thermos themselves, and have to ask one of the lunchroom aides to help.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

EddyB wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:22 am
Glockenspiel wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:24 am
One of my kids, who has otherwise been our more challenging eater, took to school lunches with a surprising amount of interest (I think he likes being able to decide in the moment), so we’ve done that. The other typically brings leftovers in a Thermos™.
Prior to my current career, I was the director of programs that oversaw the health and nutrition protocols in public schools in Texas then Utah; I've seen less than a handful of school lunches that I would want my daughter to eat regularly. Admittedly, my thresholds for acceptably healthy are higher than the norm. The breakfasts and lunches offered at my daughter's current school are not far removed from McDonald's.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:38 am
Prior to my current career, I was the director of programs that oversaw the health and nutrition protocols in public schools in Texas then Utah; I've seen less than a handful of school lunches that I would want my daughter to eat regularly. Admittedly, my thresholds for acceptably healthy are higher than the norm. The breakfasts and lunches offered at my daughter's current school are not far removed from McDonald's.
Agreed. We let our daughter get school lunch a few times a month, at most. Fortunately, because she is a vegetarian, there aren't meals she would eat most days anyway.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Fruit
Our PBJ sandwiches are made from almond butter.
vtjon

Post by vtjon »

In my kid's public elementary school, they provide PB&J sandwhiches as an alternative to every meal they serve in the cafeteria. If your kid doesn't like what they are serving that day, they can always have a PB&J. You still pay full price but at least it's always something they will eat. My kid thinks it's a "treat" when he gets to pack.
gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 »

unclescrooge wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:13 pm
Fruit
Wouldnt that be an ABJ?
jibantik

Post by jibantik »

Wait, whats the deal with peanut butter? I used to eat it all the time. Not allowed anymore?
Determined

Post by Determined »

Somewhat back on topic, make sure your child can open everything. Juice boxes, fruit cups, even small disposable water bottles can be difficult and messy. And know that whatever you send, it’s very possible a lot of it could end up in the trash. Unless you have spent time in a school cafeteria, particularly primary grades, it raises eyebrows when you see how much gets thrown away. This is year 26 with students on Monday. I love my primary kiddos.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Several posts discussing treatment of food allergies were removed as medical advice, as well as some posts with political content that were becoming contentious. See Medical Issues:
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
See also Unacceptable Topics:
In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

gmc4h232 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:53 pm
unclescrooge wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:13 pm
Fruit
Wouldnt that be an ABJ?
I remember sandwich alternatives in a college dorm eating plan. PB&J but with a jelly other than concord grape jelly. I think that's illegal :-)
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

I thought kindergarten was only for half a day. Is it for a whole day now?
megabad

Post by megabad »

Cool thread. When I have the nieces and nephews I usually do the below but their parents are super intense about organic stuff usually:

Aldi Organic Bread
Tyson Chicken (I cook the breasts for dinner one night and just cut off a few slices and keep in the fridge ready to go, lunch meat too expensive)
Organic Hot Sauce (these kids love it I dont know why and no calories)
Little smoothie usually with organic strawberries, bananas, and spinach or some other veggie (only way I can get them to eat a veggie)

I premake the smoothie and the chicken so most days this takes me like 30 seconds to throw together. I sub in Udi's bread when the cousin's are over (gluten free). Basically the above is the cheapest I could find that is mostly organic, soy free, nut free, no antibiotics etc.
Mako

Post by Mako »

Duckie wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:08 pm I thought kindergarten was only for half a day. Is it for a whole day now?
Kindergarten has been full day where I live for some time. Now they are starting full day public pre-k as well (but not everyone can go, it is mostly for disadvantaged kids with a lottery for others if spots remain).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A number of posts discussing methods to reduce sensitivity a certain food allergy have been removed (medical advice). As a reminder, see: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

jibantik wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:13 pm Wait, whats the deal with peanut butter? I used to eat it all the time. Not allowed anymore?
Depends on the area. Our school seems to allow PB but there are sequestered tables (and maybe a classroom?) Previous daycare banned PB, other daycare allowed it.
Determined

Post by Determined »

Duckie wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:08 pm I thought kindergarten was only for half a day. Is it for a whole day now?
We have had full day for fifteen years.