Request help with Orbi router setup

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
EZ James

Request help with Orbi router setup

Post by EZ James »

Yesterday evening I was in Costco planning to get TP-Link Deco M9 router but there were none. There was, however an Orbi router with one satellite that jumped in my basket and refused to leave. I decided to adopt it.

When I got home I set it up with the Orbi app with no problems...it was an amazingly simple process. After updating the firmware I measured speeds in the rooms where I want a good wifi signal.

Downstairs showed a slight improvement over my old Apple Airport router, upstairs there was a significant improvement.

My plan was to get my desktop computer off wifi on onto copper while continuing to broadcast a wifi signal from the satellite. The satellite sits on my computer so I connected a cable from one of the satellite ethernet ports to the LAN port on the computer.

The computer would not connect. I am not a networks guy...for all I know I have to burn sheep guts to make this thing do what I want.

Any wisdom on this issue appreciated.
bloom2708

Re: Request help with Orbi router setup

Post by bloom2708 »

What is the "satellite" you are referring to?

"My plan was to get my desktop computer off wifi on onto copper while continuing to broadcast a wifi signal from the satellite. The satellite sits on my computer so I connected a cable from one of the satellite ethernet ports to the LAN port on the computer."

Is that the second Orbi unit in the mesh system?

Out from the Ethernet port on your desktop to the ethernet in port on the Orbi unit?

If you were using wifi on the desktop was there a USB attachment getting you wi-fi? did you remove that?

Is your ethernet port active/enabled? Right click on the icon and choose "Open Network and Internet Setting".
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
ZipTechie

Post by ZipTechie »

If I understand your original post, you purchased the 2 unit RBK22 from Costco, which includes a router (RBR20) and satellite (RBS20). Please confirm.

1) Have you verified that the satellite is actually in sync with the base router? If I recall correctly, the blue light glows on & off until it's in sync.
2) What OS is your desktop? MacOS or Windows? That would help to figure out how to debug the network connectivity.
Topic Author
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

I just now enabled the LAN controller in BIOS and am now connected through that port. So the problem is now fixed provided the satellite is continuing to broadcast WIFI. I think speed tests in another room is good enough to confirm that.

ZipTechie wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:49 pm If I understand your original post, you purchased the 2 unit RBK22 from Costco, which includes a router (RBR20) and satellite (RBS20). Please confirm.<<<

Yes, that is the product.

1) Have you verified that the satellite is actually in sync with the base router? If I recall correctly, the blue light glows on & off until it's in sync.<
Yes. Not a problem.

2) What OS is your desktop? MacOS or Windows? That would help to figure out how to debug the network connectivity.
<<<

Windows 10 Pro.

Thank you bloom and ZipTechie :D :D
ZipTechie

Post by ZipTechie »

Ah, so the LAN port was disabled on the desktop. Simple enough. Well done tracking down & fixing the root cause.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

EZ James wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:14 pm Yesterday evening I was in Costco planning to get TP-Link Deco M9 router but there were none. There was, however an Orbi router with one satellite that jumped in my basket and refused to leave. I decided to adopt it.

When I got home I set it up with the Orbi app with no problems...it was an amazingly simple process. After updating the firmware I measured speeds in the rooms where I want a good wifi signal.

Downstairs showed a slight improvement over my old Apple Airport router, upstairs there was a significant improvement.

My plan was to get my desktop computer off wifi on onto copper while continuing to broadcast a wifi signal from the satellite. The satellite sits on my computer so I connected a cable from one of the satellite ethernet ports to the LAN port on the computer.

The computer would not connect. I am not a networks guy...for all I know I have to burn sheep guts to make this thing do what I want.

Its not been that long that you bought it. Costco return policy is excellent, I would return it. You may find someone helping you this time, but are you going to be able to rely on some stranger on internet next time you ran into issues? This is one big reason why I didnt want to deal with Orbi complexity and bought google wifi, based on reviews, it sounded like it needs some massaging before you can make Orbi work. And even then it still drops connections. What is the use of a super fast wifi that disconnects frequently?
My recommendation: return it!
SandysDad

Post by SandysDad »

Return it and get a Linksys Velop TRI-BAND. Zero problems or headaches.
teamDE

Post by teamDE »

TheOscarGuy wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:35 pm
EZ James wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:14 pm Yesterday evening I was in Costco planning to get TP-Link Deco M9 router but there were none. There was, however an Orbi router with one satellite that jumped in my basket and refused to leave. I decided to adopt it.

Its not been that long that you bought it. Costco return policy is excellent, I would return it. You may find someone helping you this time, but are you going to be able to rely on some stranger on internet next time you ran into issues? This is one big reason why I didnt want to deal with Orbi complexity and bought google wifi, based on reviews, it sounded like it needs some massaging before you can make Orbi work. And even then it still drops connections. What is the use of a super fast wifi that disconnects frequently?
Orbi setup is crazy simple. You like install a phone app and push a button and its done. I know quite a bit about networking and am extremely pleased with my Orbi setup (AC3000). I'm getting over 550mbps over the wireless backhaul with very low lag. It's impressive.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/netgear-or ... -4263.html
Topic Author
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

There was never a problem with the Orbi. The installation was the simplest installation I can recall. The device works great. If it proves over time to be junk or just not suitable Costco will take it back.

The only problem was when I tried to make it do something not mentioned during installation. To fix that all I had to do is enable the LAN port and that did not occur to me until bloom used the word wrt to enabling via windows. Actually it has to be done in BIOS but the word "enable" is what triggered my mind to go to the BIOS. I had never used that feature so it did not initially occur to me.

I suggest you might want to take reviews in general with a grain of salt.
Topic Author
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

SandysDad wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:56 pm Return it and get a Linksys Velop TRI-BAND. Zero problems or headaches.
Hey this thing was only $150 bucks, it is TRI-BAND and is functioning as advertised.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

teamDE wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:41 pm

Orbi setup is crazy simple. You like install a phone app and push a button and its done. I know quite a bit about networking and am extremely pleased with my Orbi setup (AC3000). I'm getting over 550mbps over the wireless backhaul with very low lag. It's impressive.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/netgear-or ... -4263.html
Its good I have google wifi, cause my internet itself is 100/100 so I am not going to reap any benefits from Orbi. Plus all amazon reviews seemed to indicate there are dropped connections and it is more difficult than google wifi. In any case I could not justify the additional expense when I didnt need anything better than my 100/100 connection.
Topic Author
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

I am not recommending Orbi..just telling my experience with it. No problems so far.

That device fills the house with enough RF to blow the doors off. This evening I made power measurements in actual dbm units for the various channels and bands both upstairs and downstairs and watched it select the band and 'channel for the best result. When I go upstairs to the room that was marginal with the Apple router, it shifts from one band to the other even though both channels have adequate power.

I also made measurements in dbm with the satellite turned off and they were all plenty strong. I can run with the satellite turned off but will need it for the ethernet ports when I set up my IP cameras or some other mundane task.
Topic Author
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

Just want to let you all know I decided the Orbi is not for me. I spent the last couple days checking download speeds and power densities at various locations in the house and decided that, although the power levels are higher the speeds are about the same. I don’t need the extra range it provides.

And I discovered that it comes with an antivirus trial on the router that costs $70/yr after it expires. I don’t want that.

So...it’s going back to Costco.

Thanks to all who responded.
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

For what it's worth, as I'm late to the party here, I'm not a network guy either, but after a bit of a journey I'm finally super impressed with the network in our home. The key for me was wired backhaul, the problem I had with wireless backhaul is that despite it being "good" most of the time, it was not consistent enough for real time use cases. I work from home, so Video conferencing and VOIP need to be solid, even 1 or 2 10 second blip over a 30 minute long conversation can make all the difference. So, I went to the effort of running CAT6 to a few strategic places in my house, plus a few MoCa bridges (2.0 bonded) where I had existing coax. I've been super impressed with the ActionTec MoCa adapters (https://www.actiontec.com/products/home ... g/ecb6200/), these are $160 a pair from Amazon but they are super easy to install, provide low latency 1gpbs throughput, and I have yet to have any issues with them.

For WiFI, I have 4 access points now. Initially started with 2, but had deadzone in basement and outside so added 2 more. All of my access points are Ubiquiti Network gear, I have 3 of the AC PROs inside my house (3x3 MIMO: https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-ac-pro), and then one outdoor AP (2x2 MIMO: https://store.ui.com/collections/wirele ... ac-mesh-ap). All linked via wired backhaul. I really like the Ubiquiti gear, there is a bit of a learning curve but the centralized management through their controller software is super nice, plus all the devices are PoE.