Anyone in Westchester County, NY here?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Anyone in Westchester County, NY here?

Post by Bob Sacamano » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:17 pm

curious if you enjoy living here as well as if you have any recommendations for good apartment/condo buildings?

it seems most of the inventory is either incredibly dated, incredibly expensive, newly and shoddily built or a combination of all!

johnnyvegas77

Re: Anyone in Westchester County, NY here?

Post by johnnyvegas77 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:38 pm

In NYC and not Westchester, but know the market well and have followed it for many years. Can you be a bit more specific about where you're looking? There are a wide variety of places to live!

vaogirls

Post by vaogirls » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:02 pm

I live in Westchester County. Can you be more specific about where you are looking? Westchester is a pretty big county with a lot of diversity among the towns. I am thinking probably lower to mid Westchester given that you are talking about condo/co-ops.

indi

Post by indi » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:26 pm

I know lower Westchester well. Yes, many of the apts and condos are older, but you will find newer ones in White Plains and Yonkers. I liked living in the area because of the proximity to NYC and the Long Island sound. Don't like the Summer weekend traffic.

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:36 am

Many move up to lower Fairfield County, CT (Stamford etc) when they don't like NY prices.

Dinosaur Dad

Post by Dinosaur Dad » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:34 am

Grew up in Westchester, now live in Fairfield County.

Towns are very different, many (most?) upper-middle-income. Clusters of condos and apartments in White Plains, along the Harlem Line train (Scarsdale, Hartsdale, etc.) and also the New Haven Line. Many, many older buildings have been converted. Newer stuff is expensive, high end.

Right now I would say the big difference with Fairfield county is longer NYC commute but somewhat lower taxes. Stamford condo prices aren't inexpensive by any means.
"Take calculated risks - that is quite different from being rash." | General George S. Patton

EDosi

Post by EDosi » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:09 am

It definitely depends on where in Westchester County. I was born and raised in Yonkers. I enjoyed it because of the proximity to NYC and all the river towns (Dobbs Ferry, Tarrytown, Irvington, etc). However, like you said they are all very expensive. I'll be leaving soon because I work in NJ. If you can afford the nicer parts westchester county, its a great place to live!

Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:44 pm

we're in White Plains now.

things we like:

1. convenience to both of our jobs
2. close enough to train station if/when we want to go to city/elsewhere
3. 2 parking spots included

things we dislike:

1. older building
2. no walkability
3. restaurant/bar scene - there is one but it skews college and recent post grad and, to be frank, the food is downright awful

we've lived in Dobbs Ferry and Harrison as well. the Rivertowns are nice enough but i feel like the inventory is even older/less value. i appreciate the towns to the North such as Pleasantville, Chappaqua, Bedford and Mt. Kisco but the inventory is SLIM to none.

part of me wants to explore the option of Long Island City. seems there are some "deals" to be had and while it would be a worse commute, we might gain a nicer neighborhood/apartment building.

thoughts?

Userdc

Post by Userdc » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Are you looking to rent or buy?

There are some older co-op buildings in many Westchester towns that are walkable. Have you looked at the newer riverfront condos/townhouses in Tarrytown/Ossining?

Long Island City is going to have 100 times more walkability, food options, and access to the city than anywhere on Westchester. I like both Westchester and LIC, but you have to decide for yourself if you care about those things more than a short commute, easier parking and all the other things Westchester has to offer.

Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:25 pm

Userdc wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:32 pm
Are you looking to rent or buy?

There are some older co-op buildings in many Westchester towns that are walkable. Have you looked at the newer riverfront condos/townhouses in Tarrytown/Ossining?

Long Island City is going to have 100 times more walkability, food options, and access to the city than anywhere on Westchester. I like both Westchester and LIC, but you have to decide for yourself if you care about those things more than a short commute, easier parking and all the other things Westchester has to offer.
Still planning to rent. Ossining is not appealing to me.

Wife’s job isn’t moving from Westchester and I’m not currently looking but the opportunity for me in Manhattan is astronomically higher.

rankl

Post by rankl » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:09 pm

Tarrytown has nice variety of restaurants, river front apt and town homes are quite expensive if you are looking for modern and new.

Irvington has very nice condos and apts.

If you want drive north, Briarcliff Manor is good option.

Yorktown Heights have decent apts for rent but downside is no train station and restaurants are meh.

Scarsdale is very good all round but apt with parking will be pricy. Same true for Rye and Tuckahoe.

Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:37 am

rankl wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:09 pm
Tarrytown has nice variety of restaurants, river front apt and town homes are quite expensive if you are looking for modern and new.

Irvington has very nice condos and apts.

If you want drive north, Briarcliff Manor is good option.

Yorktown Heights have decent apts for rent but downside is no train station and restaurants are meh.

Scarsdale is very good all round but apt with parking will be pricy. Same true for Rye and Tuckahoe.
may i ask which condos you're referencing in Irvington?