Breakfast Menu After Retirement

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
9-5 Suited

Re: Breakfast Menu After Retirement

Post by 9-5 Suited » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:49 pm

I want to hear from the Bogleheads who are still eating some childhood favorites like Lucky Charms :)

Far from retirement and far from consistent, but the plurality of my breakfasts are two scrambled eggs with hot sauce and an English muffin.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:21 am

bowtie wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:32 am
For the IF'ers do you exercise prior to breaking the fast later in the day, or do you wait until after you've eaten something?
I'm new to IF, but last week I swam 1.5 miles at the tail-end of my fast. It was an 11 am swim and my fast was scheduled to end at noon. As usual, I preceded the swim with coffee. It was no problem. Maybe a veteran can pipe in with the pros/cons of exercising while fasting (and if the stage of the fast makes a difference).

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:28 am

bowtie wrote:
Do people generally do a little exercise at gym or walking before breakfast or after?
I do it both ways and often.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:42 am

SrGrumpy wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:21 am
bowtie wrote:
For the IF'ers do you exercise prior to breaking the fast later in the day, or do you wait until after you've eaten something?
I'm new to IF, but last week I swam 1.5 miles at the tail-end of my fast. It was an 11 am swim and my fast was scheduled to end at noon. As usual, I preceded the swim with coffee. It was no problem. Maybe a veteran can pipe in with the pros/cons of exercising while fasting (and if the stage of the fast makes a difference).
I always exercise while fasting. I do not do more than 24 hour fasts, but I have heard that moderate exercise even during a 2 to 4 day fast is fine. The more fat adapted one is, anecdotally, the better exercising while fasting is.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:59 am

When I was working and also traveling a lot my morning diet varied a lot and usually was not very healthy.

In retirement things have changed due to having lots of extra time to shop, grow a garden full of veg, and prepare things in advance -
Two cuts of freshly ground lack coffee every morning. During our 9 month summer I usually skip breakfast and have a large green salad (using our home grown fresh lettuce and veg whenever possible) for lunch at about 11 AM, after the usual 2 hours combination of walking/gym/exercise classes/racquet sports. During our 3 cold months, most days after morning workout, I have a bowl of overnight oatmeal made with 1 cup almond milk, 1/2 teaspoon of Ceylon cinnamon, some walnuts, and 3 tablespoons of chia seeds. On a few of those mornings will instead have 2-3 eggs, either scrambled in olive oil, or fried up medium basted in butter.

Topic Author
Dug

Post by Dug » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:55 am

This is an amazing group. I just wanted to have a fun posting and ended up with a wealth of knowledge. My predictable routine oatmeal breakfast is rather common with this group. I suspect because oatmeal is an efficient unitarian meal- fast, easy to prepare, stores well, frugal and healthy.
A bonus was learning about IF 18.6. My DW and I normally have our big meal as a late lunch and minimal dinner for years. Now I find out are assumptions have some scientific truth.
Without knowing about the WSJ article, my natural feeding habit has been IF at12 hours. If I change to IF @ 18 hrs., my inbred routine of oatmeal at 6 am and out the door to work by 6.10 am will need to change. Changing my creature of habit morning is going for a test run today. This is going to be strange.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am

Yes, I began to eat breakfast and now enjoy Blueberries and yogurt with a cup of coffee.

Tim

GCD

Post by GCD » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:28 pm

My norm is about 1/4 of a box of Fruity Pebbles, unless I'm having Pop-Tarts. I usually put whole milk on it, unless I run out and have to use my wife's fat free milk. That stuff is like white water.

bowtie

Post by bowtie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:33 am

Thanks for the responses regarding 'when' to exercise. Sounds as if there is no 'bad' time to exercise. I did once get light headed after working out due to not having eaten ... but it was late afternoon. Probably wouldn't have that problem in the morning.

FlamingoTime

Post by FlamingoTime » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:00 am

For 30 plus years, I ate breakfast out in my way to work. When I was single, it was my time to relax and read before work. Once remarried, we both enjoyed stopping on the way to our business. I looked forward to it. Usually at the same handful of places - a diner for eggs, bacon and homefries or a French bakery for buerchmuesli.

Once retired (now for 5 years), we moved away and I missed my meusli. It was their signature dish and so yummy. Well, the server had told me the ingredients many years previous so I eventually perfected the recipe so I can have it at home now. It's the type you make the night before with oatmeal and then add fresh fruit and nuts before eating.

So once a week we have eggs and sausage or bacon. Other mornings it is toast and jam or my meusli.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:41 am

For me, IF usually 18:6 but can go to 20:4. First meal is usually mostly fruit. I’m almost retired but expect to keep the same routine (it’s easier for me to go 20:4 when I’m not working).
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:31 am

This thread made me miss my oatmeal and eggs, so rather than fast until this evening, I decided to have breakfast this morning and then fast until evening.

So, steel cut oats and 6 beautiful fried eggs from the place down the road where I bring my egg crate and they refill it for me. Fresh beautiful eggs fried in grass fed butter.

It’s good to sometimes change it up.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

latesaver

Post by latesaver » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:48 pm

bowtie wrote:
Do people generally do a little exercise at gym or walking before breakfast or after?
just wondering, because I usually do not exercise until after I've had something to eat (usually oatmeal and coffee).
But I've been wondering about the IF routine too. Does skipping dinner (just having water) count?
BT
i train 7-10x per week. i run 5-20 miles, bike 1-2 hours, or hit weights for 30-60 mins. if i train more than 1.5 hours i will supplement with a carb, usually in drink or gel form. so most of the time i am training on an "empty-ish" stomach in the am.

no intermittment fasting for me, it's not doable with my caloric needs and my coach would never recommend it. i am more the opposite end of the spectrum, eating rather frequently.

breakfast is oatmeal 5-6x per week or eggs 1-2x per week, with protein added in if the base meal doesn't top off my protein needs.

bowtie

Post by bowtie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:21 pm

Hey TT,
Glad this thread is inspiring to have a wonderful breakfast!

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:14 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:42 am
SrGrumpy wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:21 am
bowtie wrote:
I always exercise while fasting. I do not do more than 24 hour fasts, but I have heard that moderate exercise even during a 2 to 4 day fast is fine. The more fat adapted one is, anecdotally, the better exercising while fasting is.
Unless I'm doing something like a long and intense hike (like I'll do Saturday), I always train fasted. I've had great workouts on the tail of a 3-day fast. I very regularly (few times a month) train at the end of a 36-40hr fast, in fact I broke a 40hr fast today at 12pm with a heavy pulling session (weighted pull-ups). Keep the metabolic intensity moderate, but otherwise you should be fine.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:42 pm

McDonald's serves breakfast ALL DAY LONG which is ideal for retirees and those on the dole.
All the Best, | Joe

FireHorse

Post by FireHorse » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:00 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:45 am
dm200 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:45 pm
Stick with the much more healthful Oatmeal every day.
+1
1 serving. Simple. Can be made tasty any number of ways.

A lot more healthy than a Hawaiian Island breakfast of Spam, Portuguese Sausage, Fried Rice, and a side of waffles with guava syrup. :oops:

j
Oh my.......
Still missing Hawaii breakfast - loco moco :wink:

FireHorse

Post by FireHorse » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:04 pm

Since retired, we have brunch instead of breakfast so we can sleep in :D
We cut our meals to two a day instead of three

bluelight

Post by bluelight » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:22 pm

Pretty much the same in retirement as it was when I was working. Oatmeal with some type of fruit. Banana in the winter, blueberries or strawberries in the summer. A cup of coffee, light and sweet. If I don't have any fruit available for my oatmeal, I'll have a glass of Tomato juice instead.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:19 am

Dug wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:18 am
I am on the 1 year countdown to retirement and had a fun wondering. For the last 25 + years Mon-Fri before heading to work, I eat oatmeal with NF yogurt, chopped almonds and a banana. On weekends and vacations, I splurge and never eat oatmeal.
For those retired creatures of habit, did your breakfast eating habits change once you retired?
What a fun thread - Thanks and congrats on your first thread-start, Dug! :happy
[Deleted -mighty72]

To answer your question, OP: I retired this year in my early 50s. For years and years my morning routine had always been to have my coffee; "visit the WC" ; ); cardio workout; breakfast of fruit/plain Mestemacher toast/more coffee; shower/dress/etc., then on with the day. This was true on the weekends too, though often a 1-2 hours later than during the work week. SoAnyway....

Being a creature of habit (my morning routine as described above is just the "tip of the iceberg"), I worried a bit pre-retirement about how I'd adapt to my "new normal" of "Woo hoo! Every day is Saturday!!".... :o

Bottom line: Although retirement has created ALL kinds of crazy changes in my life/routines/etc., my breakfast/exercise routine is my one rock-solid constant. Nothing's changed there, although timing DOES more resemble my earlier "weekend timing". I believe it's kept me on even-keel throughout all the other disruptions/changes. In any case, thanks again for the post/thread: I didn't even know about "IF". (I had to google it to figure out the acronym.) Apparently, it's a "thing"; dang, who knew?? :confused

:D
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

bowtie

Post by bowtie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:29 pm

Postscript: a lot of us on this thread like oatmeal, I noticed.
I was just listening to someone talk about 'No Sugar, No Grains' type of diet. To my surprise, the 'no grains' included oatmeal. What could possibly be wrong with oatmeal, I wonder? Seems odd to me. But anyway, return to topic, guys..... I just got distracted......

Mickey7

Post by Mickey7 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:46 pm

Bacon Egg Cheese Biscuit Combo with unsweetened ice tea about 4 times a week, other wise whatever is in the fridge. Next month eat at the Y before working out.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:52 am

Avoiding all grains is a trendy new fad. Absent a medical reason it makes no sense to avoid oatmeal. It is slowly digested acting as a time-release carb.

[comment removed - mod oldcomputerguy]

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:11 pm

Not retired. Switched to a more protein/fat heavy breakfast - a few eggs, usually some meat, a little cheese, sometimes mixing it up like making a spinach scramble or having some avocado. I eat less during the day as a result. Numbers improved too - hard to argue with results.