Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
User avatar
J G Bankerton
Posts: 1330
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by J G Bankerton » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Charon wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:33 pm
And in your case, your credit utilization is almost certainly completely dominated by your mortgages.
Fixed mortgages don't count towards credit utilization, home equity lines of credit do. A fixed mortgage does count against one's debt to income ratio though.

IowaFarmWife
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by IowaFarmWife » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:38 pm

7eight9 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:49 pm
Twice I year I take all the "sock drawer" credit cards out and use them to make a small addition to my Amazon Gift Card balance. Some random amount between $4 and $5 per card. I know that I'll be buying something from Amazon in the future so it is like putting money in the bank (without interest). To my way of thinking this is a good approach because I don't have to remember which "sock drawer" card I used this month (or set automatically monthly payments on them). I just leave them on the desk for a couple of days and then go in and pay all off (don't wait for statement to close). Then they go back to the sock drawer and take a rest.
This is a good idea, thanks for sharing! :sharebeer

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 12010
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:50 pm

celia wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:22 pm
megabad wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:25 pm
On most of them, I need activity every once in while to keep the card issuer off my back as far as shrinking the credit line or closing the account.
I've never had a credit card company do this.
Same here.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Topic Author
megabad
Posts: 2228
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by megabad » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:42 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:50 pm
celia wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:22 pm
megabad wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:25 pm
On most of them, I need activity every once in while to keep the card issuer off my back as far as shrinking the credit line or closing the account.
I've never had a credit card company do this.
Same here.
This is good to hear. Maybe it is a very rare occurrence. I have only ever had one card closed many years ago and then this most recent gigantic reduction in credit limit (but no closure). I called them up and they basically said that I had 18 months of inactivity and that is why the cut the limit.
Charon wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:33 pm
I have a hard time understanding how closing several cards, let alone one, would affect you. A credit utilization rate of 3% vs. 2% on your cards can't possibly impact your credit score. (Getting or losing a credit card seemed to have almost no impact on my credit score when that was the only kind of credit I had, and I only had ~3 cards.)

And in your case, your credit utilization is almost certainly completely dominated by your mortgages. The cards don't even enter into it. If you're near a boundary in terms of mortgage rates, I would suggest that's very likely due to your having a "bunch" of mortgages already.
Well someone already touched on the fact that the mortgages don't affect credit utilization, but to build on your example, I could theoretically pay off all the cards daily and probably reach 2-3% (or less) credit utilization which might not be a terrible suggestion as was touched on in an earlier reply.

If you aren't applying for a mortgage and aren't close to the break point for the best interest rate, then I guess I can understand why you feel that the impact wouldn't seem as great. If you are seeking a mortgage, then the effect can be dramatic (in my case thousands of dollars over the term of the mortgage). There is definitely cliff at 10% and 30% credit utilization that causes a large drop and even 1 point below the target credit score would raise my interest rate.
Last edited by megabad on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

radeon962
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by radeon962 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:49 am

A local car wash renovated and they ran a founders deal of $9.99/mo for car washes. I drive 1/2 mile to/from my house every day so I use the car wash a few times a week. I could go daily but not needed except for some weeks in the spring.

Set up auto pay on a card that I have had since 1997 but rarely used anymore as we put most everything on the Costco card and just pay it off monthly.

Reamus294
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:54 am

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by Reamus294 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:05 pm

I'd consider closing some of the cards so you would be eligible for future sign-on bonuses sooner. Most cards have requirements of not owning the same card for a year or two.

DarkHelmetII
Posts: 367
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by DarkHelmetII » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:07 pm

buy a single banana

Charon
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 12:08 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by Charon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:11 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:57 pm
Charon wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:33 pm
And in your case, your credit utilization is almost certainly completely dominated by your mortgages.
Fixed mortgages don't count towards credit utilization, home equity lines of credit do. A fixed mortgage does count against one's debt to income ratio though.
Eh, good to know. I misinterpreted my credit reports, then, which list credit utilization for my mortgage too. The point remains that credit utilization on the cards should be tiny, and won't start impacting any credit score unless it gets very high. Which it shouldn't even with one single card with a decent limit.

In any case, my SO (who's worked in mortgage for decades) very firmly asserts that getting rid of credit cards will absolutely not impact your lending experience, as long as you don't get rid of the oldest ones (don't want to dramatically shorten your average credit line age). This is consistent with my lived experience getting rid of cards and looking at my FICO score.

Freefun
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by Freefun » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:13 pm

All my cards have automated charges to various charities. Feels good.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 5910
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by whodidntante » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:37 pm

Freefun wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:13 pm
All my cards have automated charges to various charities. Feels good.
With so many posts, I hope someone has suggested a donation to the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy by now. It's really important. If the site closes, none of know how to find livesoft's YouTube channel.

User avatar
J G Bankerton
Posts: 1330
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by J G Bankerton » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:44 pm

Charon wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:11 pm
Eh, good to know. I misinterpreted my credit reports, then, which list credit utilization for my mortgage too. The point remains that credit utilization on the cards should be tiny, and won't start impacting any credit score unless it gets very high.
A fixed mortgage will show up on the credit report but not on a Fico score, as long as it is in good standing. One cannot borrow more from a fixed mortgage.

I took a hit on my Fico when I made a large purchase on a credit card even though I pay it off monthly. Fico goes by the closing balance. I now pay before the closing date, not after, and Fico never knows.

Freefun
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by Freefun » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:45 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:37 pm
Freefun wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:13 pm
All my cards have automated charges to various charities. Feels good.
With so many posts, I hope someone has suggested a donation to the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy by now. It's really important. If the site closes, none of know how to find livesoft's YouTube channel.
How can I donate to this with a credit card?
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Topic Author
megabad
Posts: 2228
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by megabad » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Freefun wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:45 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:37 pm
Freefun wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:13 pm
All my cards have automated charges to various charities. Feels good.
With so many posts, I hope someone has suggested a donation to the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy by now. It's really important. If the site closes, none of know how to find livesoft's YouTube channel.
How can I donate to this with a credit card?
Well, if it is small amount and you are not looking for tax benefits, you can support the site (not the J Bogle Center) directly via Paypal/credit card (https://www.bogleheads.org/support.php. A bit of a side track but I would hope to see a similar link on the Bogle Center website to facilitate donation there as well.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 55908
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:07 pm

Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 5910
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by whodidntante » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:12 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:07 pm
I don't see any credit card links: Donate | The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy
One could use plastiq to mail a check to that address. But a direct method might attract more money. Paypal might be a reasonable choice.

Freefun
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by Freefun » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:12 pm

Ok but I thought this thread was about using credit cards.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1410
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by Ice-9 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:28 pm

megabad wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:42 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:50 pm
celia wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:22 pm
megabad wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:25 pm
On most of them, I need activity every once in while to keep the card issuer off my back as far as shrinking the credit line or closing the account.
I've never had a credit card company do this.
Same here.
This is good to hear. Maybe it is a very rare occurrence...
It's not a rare occurrence. If you don't use a card at all, the company will eventually close it.

I know this because, during approximately 2005-2007, I played the 0% balance transfer game, accepting every no-fee 0% balance transfer new card offer that came in the mail and put the money in an online bank account (earning close to 5% APY back then) until it needed to be paid off before the promotion expired via easily scheduled transactions. (Those were the days...)

A couple of the card accounts created during this "App-o-rama" experience proved useful as they offered good cashback, and I still hold those cards today. The several I didn't use at all after paying off cancelled me one at a time at various points between 2009 and 2015. Since paying off the app-o-rama cards, my credit score has never dipped below 800, so the cancellations weren't due to credit reasons.

michaeljc70
Posts: 5348
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:34 pm

Ice-9 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:28 pm
megabad wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:42 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:50 pm
celia wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:22 pm
megabad wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:25 pm
On most of them, I need activity every once in while to keep the card issuer off my back as far as shrinking the credit line or closing the account.
I've never had a credit card company do this.
Same here.
This is good to hear. Maybe it is a very rare occurrence...
It's not a rare occurrence. If you don't use a card at all, the company will eventually close it.

I know this because, during approximately 2005-2007, I played the 0% balance transfer game, accepting every no-fee 0% balance transfer new card offer that came in the mail and put the money in an online bank account (earning close to 5% APY back then) until it needed to be paid off before the promotion expired via easily scheduled transactions. (Those were the days...)

A couple of the card accounts created during this "App-o-rama" experience proved useful as they offered good cashback, and I still hold those cards today. The several I didn't use at all after paying off cancelled me one at a time at various points between 2009 and 2015. Since paying off the app-o-rama cards, my credit score has never dipped below 800, so the cancellations weren't due to credit reasons.
I had one card I didn't use for years closed without notice (well, the letter was the notice after the fact) and one from BOA that gave a warning that they would close the account if not used. I also had Amex cut my credit line almost in half because I stopped using it regularly.

User avatar
Mel Lindauer
Moderator
Posts: 29680
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, Florida
Contact:

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:33 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:12 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:07 pm
I don't see any credit card links: Donate | The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy
One could use plastiq to mail a check to that address. But a direct method might attract more money. Paypal might be a reasonable choice.
We used our PayPal account to allow folks to register for our 2019 Bogleheads Conference and they held our funds hostage despite providing tons of info (including our IRS 501c3 paperwork) that we were legit. They couldn't seem to accept the fact that we're all volunteers and that no one owns any stake in The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy.

So our experience with PayPal was horrible and we may never use them again.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 5910
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by whodidntante » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:42 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:33 pm
We used our PayPal account to allow folks to register for our 2019 Bogleheads Conference and they held our funds hostage despite providing tons of info (including our IRS 501c3 paperwork) that we were legit. They couldn't seem to accept the fact that we're all volunteers and that no one owns any stake in The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy.

So our experience with PayPal was horrible and we may never use them again.
That's inexcusable and it's good to call Paypal out on it! I hope you find a solution!

randomguy
Posts: 7996
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by randomguy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:53 pm

02nz wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:30 pm
I have over a dozen cards that I never use. I can only recall one card that was closed by the issuer (not at my request). Haven't had my credit limit reduced on any. And even if that happened and my credit utilization went up a bit, it just doesn't matter. The difference between say 780 and 790 won't matter for the rate you get on a loan. This just isn't worth the bother.
Personally I would be closing the cards to restart the timers so I can sign up for more cards. Wouldn't you hate missing out on good offer cause the companies decide you have too many cards open?

NewMoneyMustBeSmart
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:28 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:10 pm

megabad wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:25 pm
Can anyone give me examples/categories of small charges that I can spread out on all the cards that I can use to keep them active. If
Every few months I stop at Walmart to get some generic milk or bread, and pay $1 each on each of ~10 credit cards. Walmart makes it easy to split the purchases up.

User avatar
J G Bankerton
Posts: 1330
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by J G Bankerton » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:29 pm

NewMoneyMustBeSmart wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:10 pm
megabad wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:25 pm
Can anyone give me examples/categories of small charges that I can spread out on all the cards that I can use to keep them active. If
Every few months I stop at Walmart to get some generic milk or bread, and pay $1 each on each of ~10 credit cards. Walmart makes it easy to split the purchases up.
Do you hear grumbling from the people behind you? :annoyed

NewMoneyMustBeSmart
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:28 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:37 pm

Do you hear grumbling from the people behind you? :annoyed
I do this at self-checkout, and my hearing is somewhat selective.

I'm not offended and don't want to sound defensive, but do you let the opinions of people around you influence what you do? I certainly don't. Walmart has quick credit card machines, so it adds maybe 90 seconds to the transaction, far less than others routinely waste.

When I go to the bank teller, or board a plane, I don't worry about folks having to wait for me. I plan ahead and am as efficient as I can be, but do what I need to do.

Also, I'm not a fan of walmart and don't frequent it much, but my experience is the folks there aren't the kind that mind a 2 min delay.

Topic Author
megabad
Posts: 2228
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by megabad » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:12 am

NewMoneyMustBeSmart wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:10 pm
Every few months I stop at Walmart to get some generic milk or bread, and pay $1 each on each of ~10 credit cards. Walmart makes it easy to split the purchases up.
I didn't even know you could do this at the self checkout. Thanks for the tip.

Charon
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 12:08 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by Charon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:44 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:44 pm
A fixed mortgage will show up on the credit report but not on a Fico score, as long as it is in good standing. One cannot borrow more from a fixed mortgage.
I'm not surprised it showed up on the credit report - I was surprised that it showed up in a section detailing "debt-to-credit" ratio in my Equifax report, including detailing how much I'd paid down on the mortgage and was therefore "available" (their words - I know this is not how mortgages work). Equifax literally added my revolving and mortgage balances and credit limits together to calculate a total debt-to-credit ratio. Good to know FICO doesn't use this number from Equifax (though honestly we don't know that, given that the FICO formula is proprietary and changes frequently).

But again none of this impacts the basic point that the OP shouldn't have any concern about closing credit cards, and that any difficulty getting future mortgages at good rates might indeed be related to having a "bunch" of mortgages already. My FICO was over 800 with three credit cards and no other debt. There is no way having 5 credit cards instead of 20 would affect anyone's credit score, and it would make their life a heck of a lot easier.

Topic Author
megabad
Posts: 2228
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by megabad » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:42 pm

Charon wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:44 pm
But again none of this impacts the basic point that the OP shouldn't have any concern about closing credit cards, and that any difficulty getting future mortgages at good rates might indeed be related to having a "bunch" of mortgages already. My FICO was over 800 with three credit cards and no other debt. There is no way having 5 credit cards instead of 20 would affect anyone's credit score, and it would make their life a heck of a lot easier.
I am a little tired of responding to this, but I don't want there to be false information out there. Credit utilization absolutely impacts your credit score.

Please see here:
https://www.thebalance.com/understandin ... ion-960451
or here
https://www.creditkarma.com/credit-card ... dit-score/
or here
https://www.creditcardinsider.com/blog/ ... dit-score/
or here
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance ... g-winning/
or here
https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-expe ... tion-rate/
or here
https://creditcards.usnews.com/articles ... edit-score
or here
https://www.moneyunder30.com/what-is-cr ... dit-score

User avatar
J G Bankerton
Posts: 1330
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by J G Bankerton » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Charon wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:44 pm
J G Bankerton wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:44 pm
A fixed mortgage will show up on the credit report but not on a Fico score, as long as it is in good standing. One cannot borrow more from a fixed mortgage.
I'm not surprised it showed up on the credit report - I was surprised that it showed up in a section detailing "debt-to-credit" ratio in my Equifax report, including detailing how much I'd paid down on the mortgage and was therefore "available" (their words - I know this is not how mortgages work). Equifax literally added my revolving and mortgage balances and credit limits together to calculate a total debt-to-credit ratio. Good to know FICO doesn't use this number from Equifax (though honestly we don't know that, given that the FICO formula is proprietary and changes frequently).
Fico has a simulator that shows what action affects the score.
https://www.myfico.com/free-credit-scor ... estimator/
There are tricks that work that make no sense. If I carry a balance of a few dollars on ONE credit card it raises my score 15 points compared to a zero balance. :confused
A good thing about credit utilization it resets every month.

User avatar
obafgkm
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:12 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by obafgkm » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:52 pm

dustinst22 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:53 pm
amazon balance reload. Hit them for $1 each every now and then. Some creditors will cancel the debt.
Even better, Amazon's minimum is actually $0.50 . My rewards checking from my credit union requires 12 debit card transactions per month to get their 3% interest rate. I know I will be using Amazon in the future (particularly birthdays and Christmas but sporadically through the year), so $6/month to add to a virtual gift card is fine for me. I just set a reminder for the middle of the month and take about 5 minutes to do it.

gretah
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:14 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by gretah » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:09 pm

7eight9 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:49 pm
Twice I year I take all the "sock drawer" credit cards out and use them to make a small addition to my Amazon Gift Card balance. Some random amount between $4 and $5 per card. I know that I'll be buying something from Amazon in the future so it is like putting money in the bank (without interest). To my way of thinking this is a good approach because I don't have to remember which "sock drawer" card I used this month (or set automatically monthly payments on them). I just leave them on the desk for a couple of days and then go in and pay all off (don't wait for statement to close). Then they go back to the sock drawer and take a rest.
Brilliant !!!

TravelforFun
Posts: 1835
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by TravelforFun » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:15 pm

If need to, I'd use the card to add $5 to my Stabuck app to keep the card active.

TravelforFun
Last edited by TravelforFun on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 8674
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:16 pm

McDonald's senior coffee. Not all McDonald's charge the same price, but every one I've ever bought has been less than one dollar.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

gretah
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:14 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by gretah » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:20 pm

Put credit cards in envelopes so they will be used twice a year.
Jan / July envelope
Feb / Aug envelope
etc

Change card info at Amazon at least once a month. Good security practice.

Put a reminder in your diary / calendar to swap out cards each month and put new ones in wallet.

When doing Xmas shopping, line up cards at your desk. Buy something from Harry & David, use a card, push card aside. Buy something from Tiffany's, use a card, push card aside. Next vendor, next card.

I LOVE the monthly charity payments with using a separate card for each recipient.

dustinst22
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:09 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by dustinst22 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:46 am

obafgkm wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:52 pm
dustinst22 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:53 pm
amazon balance reload. Hit them for $1 each every now and then. Some creditors will cancel the debt.
Even better, Amazon's minimum is actually $0.50 . My rewards checking from my credit union requires 12 debit card transactions per month to get their 3% interest rate. I know I will be using Amazon in the future (particularly birthdays and Christmas but sporadically through the year), so $6/month to add to a virtual gift card is fine for me. I just set a reminder for the middle of the month and take about 5 minutes to do it.
Yes, I do the same for my high yield checking requirements (sounds like we both use heritage). For keeping the CC's active, do $1, they will balance cancel it in many cases. $2 for discover. :moneybag

chessknt
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:15 am

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by chessknt » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:18 am

$1 Amazon credits

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 21319
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by dm200 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:35 pm

I have one card that is used once a year for my mlb.com baseball membership to get the radio broadcasts online for every Major league team - both home and away feeds. One out of town team I follow this way in the NY Yankees and the "infamous" radio broadcast team of John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 2951
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:05 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:35 pm
I have one card that is used once a year for my mlb.com baseball membership to get the radio broadcasts online for every Major league team - both home and away feeds. One out of town team I follow this way in the NY Yankees and the "infamous" radio broadcast team of John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman.
Although the Tampa Bay area has a MLB team, I am a NY Yankee fan when they are playing anyone except the Tampa Bay Rays. George Steinbrenner was a good philanthropist to our area. While the stadium was being built for spring training, and the minor league Yankees, I used to sit in the stands with Mr Steinbrenner when the spring training games were being played at USF. Very approachable, gracious owner. All he wanted was to put the best team on the field he could, and of course win. And, the Yankees have certainly rewarded their fans.

Unfortunately my Tampa Bay Rays are in the same division as the Yankees and the Red Sox. Still, the Rays usually give the teams a good fight.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

ScubaHogg
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

Post by ScubaHogg » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:42 pm

I have a few cheap "subscriptions" that are pretty easy to put on my little-utilized cards. The $0.99/month I pay for iCloud storage (~50gb) comes to mind. Anytime I'm putting in a card for a service like that I always use one of my low priority cards that I just don't want to cancel.

Post Reply