Critique my exercise routine because it's not working for me

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FrugalConservative

Re: Critique my exercise routine because it's not working for me

Post by FrugalConservative » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:10 pm

You are not doing nearly enough free weight training.

I'm taking a guess here but you arent dieting corretly.

Cardio ( for weightloss) for the most party is worthless unless it is combined with a correct diet. Think about it. Run a mile you burn 100-150 calories. Run three miles which takes the average person 30 minutes only burns 300-450 calories. Eat three cookies, chips, drink a few sodas and your cardio goes to that.

It amazes me how people who are trying to lose weight dont just lift weights and diet. Cardio is a waste of time.

megabad

Post by megabad » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:11 pm

I am trying to avoid getting into health details so I will just say that I think you need to revisit your "investment policy statement" for your body. Why do you want to go from a 36 to a 34? These are just numbers. What is the ultimate goal? Is it more energy? Is it decreased disease concerns? Or is it wanting a 6 pack? All are legitimate goals but none of them have much to do with the numbers 34 and 36. If that is all you want, pull a Jerry Seinfeld and change the number on the tag.

This is like when I sat down with my aunt and I asked what here retirement goals were and she said "$500,000"....ok...but what does $500,000 get you? How will that make you happy or fulfilled? Fitness is the same way and I would target my strategy based on the actual goal (maybe with professional help).

I was listening to a podcast with Ramit Sethi recently and he touched on physical fitness. He talked about scrolling through google images with his wife until they agreed on a look they wanted. Ramit took that to a trainer and said, "that's what I want". It was a bit weird, but he had a clear goal.

FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:12 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:48 pm
H-Town wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:23 pm
edge wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:03 pm
Losing weight is almost entirely driven by diet.
My opinion would go against popular belief here in this thread. From many years of tweaking diets and working out, I realize that the best route is building muscle. This works for both men and women. Not only building up muscle allows you to have more calorie intake, but muscle also burns calorie when you're not working out.

To me, it increases my quality of life. Once I reach the macro goals in my diet, I don't have to worry about any little details when I dine out with my family or enjoy a little feast in family gathering. I can go for a full course of meal at the restaurant. I can go for an ice cream without thinking twice. All this while keeping the body fat percentage at a decent level.

For my heart, I enjoy my sauna sessions that would keep my heart rate elevated similar to the heart rate while I run at 6 mph. I mix sauna with cardio so that I can rest between my weight trainings.

Just think about 2 scenarios below:

1) Person A prefers cardio over resistance training. Person A sticks to 1800 calorie diet. Any day that go over 2000 calorie, Person A will have to work harder in the gym to burn the extra calorie. Knowing this, Person A is very reluctant and very careful with his/her diet.

2) Person B focuses on resistance training and building muscle. Person B can burn 2500 calorie daily. Once muscle is built consistently over a few years and if Person B have to step away from training, it'll take a very long time to lose muscle and it will be quick to build it back up. With the density of muscle compared to fat, Person B looks toner and fit.

Like personal financial, health and fitness is very personal. If you put in your time and willingness, you will find a way that works for you.
Problem is that this is a fantasy. Adding 10lbs of muscle burns about 50-100 calories/day. You are talking about someone who would need to have 70-140lbs of muscle. That isn't remotely realistic. There is a reason why all the people who do lifting talk about how important diet is for weight loss. The cardio people talk more about getting enough calories as it is hard to maintain your weight when your burning 1000+ calories/day.
Your numbers are way off. 1lb of muscle burns 50 calories. So 5lbs will burn 250, 10lb will burn 500, and so on.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:50 pm

FrugalConservative wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:12 pm
randomguy wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:48 pm
H-Town wrote:
edge wrote:
My opinion would go against popular belief here in this thread. From many years of tweaking diets and working out, I realize that the best route is building muscle. This works for both men and women. Not only building up muscle allows you to have more calorie intake, but muscle also burns calorie when you're not working out.

To me, it increases my quality of life. Once I reach the macro goals in my diet, I don't have to worry about any little details when I dine out with my family or enjoy a little feast in family gathering. I can go for a full course of meal at the restaurant. I can go for an ice cream without thinking twice. All this while keeping the body fat percentage at a decent level.

For my heart, I enjoy my sauna sessions that would keep my heart rate elevated similar to the heart rate while I run at 6 mph. I mix sauna with cardio so that I can rest between my weight trainings.

1) Person A prefers cardio over resistance training. Person A sticks to 1800 calorie diet. Any day that go over 2000 calorie, Person A will have to work harder in the gym to burn the extra calorie. Knowing this, Person A is very reluctant and very careful with his/her diet.

2) Person B focuses on resistance training and building muscle. Person B can burn 2500 calorie daily. Once muscle is built consistently over a few years and if Person B have to step away from training, it'll take a very long time to lose muscle and it will be quick to build it back up. With the density of muscle compared to fat, Person B looks toner and fit.

Like personal financial, health and fitness is very personal. If you put in your time and willingness, you will find a way that works for you.
Problem is that this is a fantasy. Adding 10lbs of muscle burns about 50-100 calories/day. You are talking about someone who would need to have 70-140lbs of muscle. That isn't remotely realistic. There is a reason why all the people who do lifting talk about how important diet is for weight loss. The cardio people talk more about getting enough calories as it is hard to maintain your weight when your burning 1000+ calories/day.
Your numbers are way off. 1lb of muscle burns 50 calories. So 5lbs will burn 250, 10lb will burn 500, and so on.
Uhhh, so if I have 100lbs. of lean muscle tissue, it will take 5,000kcals/day just to not catabolize them (let's not even get into the more metabolically hungry vital organs) :shock: ? Yeah, your decimal point is in the wrong place. Some pretty solid bro-science going on in this thread about lean muscle, and I'm a powerlifter.

FWIW, the average male has about 73lbs. of lean muscle tissue.

BigMoneyNoWhammies

Post by BigMoneyNoWhammies » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:03 pm

new2bogle wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:32 am
I've been doing the following exercise routine for about 9 months now with only minor progress (i.e., loss of belly). Specifically, I am not looking for weighing less on the scale but the "pants test" - my pants should feel looser.

Day 1 - 40 mins of cardio (some combo of treadmill/elliptical, but 40 mins of elevated heart rate)
Day 2 - 40 mins of cardio
Day 3 - 45-60 mins of free weights
Day 4 - rest
Then repeat.

DW thinks that since I've crossed over the hill it is going to be exponentially harder to lose weight. My ideal is to lose 10 lbs (or go from a size 36 pants to 34), which is almost entirely in my middle section.

It could be that I am over/under exercising, not doing enough of one thing or the other, etc. My diet is pretty good and tend to eat around 2000 calories a day, plenty of water, some sugary snacks, no sodas. I've cut out what minimal alcohol I used to drink (used to be one drink a month).

Not sure what else to do, but seems like my exercising needs to be better tailored.

Any suggestions on what works?
diet matters far more for weight loss/body composition than exercise routine. calories in vs calories out is the #1 factor in determining weight loss. track every calorie you eat for a week eating how you normally do. unless your base metabolic rate + calories burned during exercise is less than your calories ingested on a daily basis consistently, you won't lose weight.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:49 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:50 pm
FrugalConservative wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:12 pm

Uhhh, so if I have 100lbs. of lean muscle tissue, it will take 5,000kcals/day just to not catabolize them (let's not even get into the more metabolically hungry vital organs) :shock: ? Yeah, your decimal point is in the wrong place. Some pretty solid bro-science going on in this thread about lean muscle, and I'm a powerlifter.

FWIW, the average male has about 73lbs. of lean muscle tissue.
Note how this urban myth gets repeated forever. First google hit for me on the subject: https://www.latimes.com/health/la-xpm-2 ... story.html . You can read any of a dozen research journals that all come to the same conclusion. And yes common sense alone should have been enough to make people question it but when you have a desire to believe something, logic gets thrown out the window.

You should lift weights cause they make your life better. A certain level of strength makes life a lot better and loading up the body is also good for bone health. That level isn't very high (i.e. you don't need to be squatting 2x+ your body weight) but it is definitely higher than what you get from sitting on your butt all day long.

With exercise, you have the same issue as with diet. It is all about compliance. Pick whatever you do that lets you get the time in. Worrying about if 4 hours of soul cycle or 4 hours of cross fit is better isn't worth it. Get those hours in. OP base program (from what we know. Intensity matters a ton. 40mins of walking is one thing. 40 mins of running or hard biking is another. Same thing versus lifting weights that don't stress you and ones that leave you close to failure) is far from horrible but if you aren't getting the results you want, you either need to up the work load (more intensity, more volume) or cut the calories.

trinc

Post by trinc » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:56 pm

i ( at 56 ) wanted to slim down, again.

started dec 30 ( so it's not a new years resolution : P )

month one: 15 lbs
month two: 10 lbs
month three: 5 lbs

5'8" 190 lbs starting, now maintaining 160 lbs.

It was more about diet than exercise. making your calories count & know what your eating. i was a beast with my plan and the weight dropped quicker than i could imagine. eat smart & don't starve yourself.

I can detail meal plan if interested.

Good luck,
Tim

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:56 pm

10-20 minutes of focused exercise per day, Arnold Schwarzeneggers recommendation on Jonny Carson https://youtu.be/A2AiLbpkngA

I get the question, "how can i exercise without exercising... like when I'm driving" and Arnold says, "you should focus on driving." But there are ways to build exercising into your daily travels. Park 2 miles from work and walk the remainder of the way. This is building the habit into your daily routine. I opt for running or biking to work. You'll also learn how to not block a crosswalk with your car when you actually have to use crosswalks as a pedestrian.

For strength training, one really doesn't need to spend a ton of time at the gym. I spend 65 minutes lifting weight per week (one 30 min session and one 35 minute session). Most of that time is spent resting between lifts. I can bench 215 5x and squat 225 5x with this very limited weight lifting regime.

I've also read of a strategy that involves solely doing a minute or two of kettlebell swings per day in 4hr body.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:09 pm

H-Town wrote:
edge wrote:

Yes. Weight training increases mitochondria. The more muscle, the more mitochondria.
The main job of mitochondria is to perform cellular respiration. This means it takes in nutrients from the cell, breaks it down, and turns it into energy. This energy is then in turn used by the cell to carry out various functions.

Each cell contains a different number of mitochondria. The number present is dependent upon how much energy the cell requires. The more energy a cell needs the more mitochondria that will be present. Cells have the ability to produce more mitochondria as needed. They also can combine mitochondria to make larger ones.
As with any engine, fuel +oxygen =combustion / energy

http://www.softschools.com/science/biol ... ochondria/

But cardio burns more calories per session. Do em both!

owenmia

Post by owenmia » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:11 pm

Intermittent fasting.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:36 pm

This thread has rub its course and is locked (medical advice,). See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.