Friend's car caught in flood ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hudson
Posts: 1837
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by hudson » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:01 am

dm200 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:58 am
I think he will try to jumpstart the car this weekend.

We shall see!

If I were a betting person, I think I would bet on the car running again - not at even odds - but at the odds expressed here that the chances of the car returning to everyday use are very low.

What are the "odds" others would set?
It depends on the owner. If he's determined and he's good at scrounging and swapping parts, it'll go.

User avatar
Topic Author
dm200
Posts: 21283
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by dm200 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Probably will know within a week or so.

Just my "guess", but I think it will either be generally OK or a no go - nothing in between.

For him, this car is "his" car - and they (his wife and him) have another car as well.

Smoke
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:45 pm
Location: TN retired

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by Smoke » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:17 pm

dm200 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:58 am
I think he will try to jumpstart the car this weekend.

We shall see!

If I were a betting person, I think I would bet on the car running again - not at even odds - but at the odds expressed here that the chances of the car returning to everyday use are very low.

What are the "odds" others would set?
I'm going to say it will start.
However the possibility of electronic issues dash board etc will be a problem.
Remember that the muffler and catalytic converter will most likely still have a bunch of water in them, so starting may be harder due to the back pressure.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

User avatar
ClevrChico
Posts: 1480
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:52 am

dm200 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:58 am
I think he will try to jumpstart the car this weekend.

We shall see!

If I were a betting person, I think I would bet on the car running again - not at even odds - but at the odds expressed here that the chances of the car returning to everyday use are very low.

What are the "odds" others would set?
I would give it 80% odds of starting.

I hope they put a fan in the interior to speed drying it out. It shouldn't take too long. :happy

User avatar
Topic Author
dm200
Posts: 21283
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:50 am

ClevrChico wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:52 am
dm200 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:58 am
I think he will try to jumpstart the car this weekend.
We shall see!

If I were a betting person, I think I would bet on the car running again - not at even odds - but at the odds expressed here that the chances of the car returning to everyday use are very low.
What are the "odds" others would set?
I would give it 80% odds of starting.
I hope they put a fan in the interior to speed drying it out. It shouldn't take too long. :happy
I guess getting it started would be the first step in possibly getting it back on the road. Then his repair shop could check it out.

I will post the results here. :)

Tuxedo
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:15 pm

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by Tuxedo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:22 pm

What ended up happening?

User avatar
Topic Author
dm200
Posts: 21283
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 am

Tuxedo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:22 pm
What ended up happening?
About a week ago, he tried jump starting the car. It did not turn over. I think he then planned to let it sit and dry out for a week or two more. I will see him this week.

chevca
Posts: 2667
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:22 am

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by chevca » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:29 pm

He really wants to hang onto this late '90s Camry, huh? :confused

Let it go and move on, man.

alfaspider
Posts: 2056
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by alfaspider » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:27 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 am
Tuxedo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:22 pm
What ended up happening?
About a week ago, he tried jump starting the car. It did not turn over. I think he then planned to let it sit and dry out for a week or two more. I will see him this week.
If a month didn't fix it, 6 weeks probably won't either. First thing to check is whether the starter motor is getting power. If it is and the engine is locked up from water getting inside, he should just call the wrecking yard to get the thing gone.

Smoke
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:45 pm
Location: TN retired

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by Smoke » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:05 pm

Time to kiss it goodbye.

Just make sure your tetanus shot is up to date first.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 11864
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:19 pm

Public safety notice:
A vehicle can be swept away by as little as six inches of moving water.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

User avatar
Topic Author
dm200
Posts: 21283
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by dm200 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am

alfaspider wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:27 pm
dm200 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 am
Tuxedo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:22 pm
What ended up happening?
About a week ago, he tried jump starting the car. It did not turn over. I think he then planned to let it sit and dry out for a week or two more. I will see him this week.
If a month didn't fix it, 6 weeks probably won't either. First thing to check is whether the starter motor is getting power. If it is and the engine is locked up from water getting inside, he should just call the wrecking yard to get the thing gone.
Two weeks ago, he tried a jump from a good car/battery to the "dried out" one. The "dried out" one got power, such as lights, displays - but would not turn over. He plans on giving it one more try this week.

User avatar
Topic Author
dm200
Posts: 21283
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by dm200 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:25 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:19 pm
Public safety notice:
A vehicle can be swept away by as little as six inches of moving water.
The car was not "swept away" - just "stuck in the middle of a flooded intersection. He said the water came up to the middle of the doors (outside), and was rising inside the car to the middle of the front seats. He chose to stay in the car - He said that if the water inside had risen much more, he would have gotten out of the car and waded to the curb.

Morgan Dollar 1921
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:04 am

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:50 am

No mention of mileage or recent repairs, I personally would not want to travel down the highway at 50 MPH in this thing.

I could tell a story about a couple of dozen new Buick & Pontiac vehicles in a flood area, but it would damage a good dealers reputation. Yes, a good dealer, but did what the insurance company and the "OLD" GM told them to do.

I watched the repairs of these vehicles over a 5 year period, NEW vehicles.

My suggestion find someone who needs a new boat anchor, a big one about the size of a Camry, run the ad stating it has been pre-baptized by the waters.

A good movie to recall now,, "A River Runs Through It " :happy

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 11864
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by willthrill81 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:17 am

dm200 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:25 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:19 pm
Public safety notice:
A vehicle can be swept away by as little as six inches of moving water.
The car was not "swept away" - just "stuck in the middle of a flooded intersection. He said the water came up to the middle of the doors (outside), and was rising inside the car to the middle of the front seats. He chose to stay in the car - He said that if the water inside had risen much more, he would have gotten out of the car and waded to the curb.
I know. It was just an FYI.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

User avatar
Topic Author
dm200
Posts: 21283
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by dm200 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:17 am
dm200 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:25 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:19 pm
Public safety notice:
A vehicle can be swept away by as little as six inches of moving water.
The car was not "swept away" - just "stuck in the middle of a flooded intersection. He said the water came up to the middle of the doors (outside), and was rising inside the car to the middle of the front seats. He chose to stay in the car - He said that if the water inside had risen much more, he would have gotten out of the car and waded to the curb.
I know. It was just an FYI.
Years ago, some folks we know had a college age son that was killed when his car was swept away in a flash flood in a rural area. Very sad, indeed.

chevca
Posts: 2667
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:22 am

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by chevca » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:23 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:25 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:19 pm
Public safety notice:
A vehicle can be swept away by as little as six inches of moving water.
The car was not "swept away" - just "stuck in the middle of a flooded intersection. He said the water came up to the middle of the doors (outside), and was rising inside the car to the middle of the front seats. He chose to stay in the car - He said that if the water inside had risen much more, he would have gotten out of the car and waded to the curb.
The more you post about this guy.... yikes! :oops:

alfaspider
Posts: 2056
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by alfaspider » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:35 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am
alfaspider wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:27 pm
dm200 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 am
Tuxedo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:22 pm
What ended up happening?
About a week ago, he tried jump starting the car. It did not turn over. I think he then planned to let it sit and dry out for a week or two more. I will see him this week.
If a month didn't fix it, 6 weeks probably won't either. First thing to check is whether the starter motor is getting power. If it is and the engine is locked up from water getting inside, he should just call the wrecking yard to get the thing gone.
Two weeks ago, he tried a jump from a good car/battery to the "dried out" one. The "dried out" one got power, such as lights, displays - but would not turn over. He plans on giving it one more try this week.
But the question is whether the starter motor is getting power. There are inexpensive probes you can buy to check this. The question is: is the starter motor attempting to turn the crank or not? If it is attempting and it can't budge the crank, then water may have gotten into the crankcase, caused rust, and locked up the motor. In that case, the car is most likely toast. Alternatively, it could be a fuse or relay that is preventing the starter for getting power, or the starter itself was damaged by the water.

finite_difference
Posts: 1396
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by finite_difference » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Buy a “new” 1999 Camry for $1k. That’s what I sold mine for and it ran great.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Post Reply