Expedia OTA - problem w Travel awards points, web/phone glitch

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
blackcat allie

Expedia OTA - problem w Travel awards points, web/phone glitch

Post by blackcat allie » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:31 am

Hoping for suggestions/wisdom on appeal on getting points back from Chase Travel rewards - trying to cancel reservation ...
or wondering if anyone went through similar situation?

In more detail:
  • After eagerly saving my Sapphire Travel rewards points, I made a flight reservation abroad.
    Tickets were economy non-refundable, however there was a 24 hr cancellation window (till 11:59pm Pacific next day).
    • After some deliberations/concerns re: connecting flight, I tried to cancel reservation.
      Website for travel rewards seemed to be working, clearly indicated I was within window for cancellation - however
      when I tried to complete cancellation it gave message " Internal Error ". I tried several times, opened new window etc.
    • At this point I was trying to reach them on phone for cancellation.
      I pressed option for callback & was told they would call my back in 28-42 minutes
      After 30 minutes I received auto call back but from there was on hold for an additional 1 hour 20 minutes :oops:
      By that time, my point my cancellation window was over :(
    • I remained on hold, finally got representative, then supervisor
      Was told they didn't have power to refund points yadda yadda
      Case being given to an "investigator" and to expect call back or email within 72 hours.
    Any pro-tips, while I await call back from "The Investigator"?
    Admittedly I waited till last hour, however if their computer system was working & phone customer service did what they said, I would have been within windown. I do have screenshots from my computer with error message & phone w duration of call.

As third party site, they might not be able to change reservation without airline penalty, but don't they have ability to give points back?
    Or if not points for tickets, perhaps considerable fees (that accounted for almost half points)?
    Besides screenshots and desperate pleas, are there are any key talking points or strategies here?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by blackcat allie on Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Nothing in life is as important as you think it is while you are thinking about it.” - Daniel Kahneman

Broken Man 1999

Re: Advice: Sapphire Travel point awards - trying to cancel reservation & get back points back - snag on website/phone

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:49 am

No help from me, but I have seen this website mentioned on other travel-related discussions here.

https://www.flyertalk.com/

Good luck!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Jags4186

Re: Advice: Sapphire Travel point awards - trying to cancel reservation & get back points back - snag on website/phone

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:50 am

blackcat allie wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:31 am
Hoping for suggestions/wisdom on appeal on getting points back from Chase Travel rewards - trying to cancel reservation ...

In more detail:
  • After eagerly saving my Sapphire Travel rewards points, I made a flight reservation abroad.
    Tickets were economy non-refundable, however there was a 24 hr cancellation window (till 11:59pm Pacific next day).
    • After some deliberations/concerns re: connecting flight, I tried to cancel reservation.
      Website for travel rewards seemed to be working, clearly indicated I was within window for cancellation - however
      when I tried to complete cancellation it gave message " Internal Error ". I tried several times, opened new window etc.
      I pressed option for callback & was told they would call my back in 28-42 minutes
      After 30 minutes I received auto call back but from there was on hold for an additional 1 hour 20 minutes :oops:
      Case being given to an "investigator" and to expect call back or email within 72 hours.
    Admittedly I waited till last hour, however if their computer system was working & phone customer service did what they said, I would have been within windown. I do have screenshots from my computer with error message & phone w duration of call.

As third party site, they might not be able to change reservation without airline penalty, but don't they have ability to give points back?
    Or if not points for tickets, perhaps considerable fees (that accounted for almost half points)?
    Besides screenshots and desperate pleas, are there are any key talking points or strategies here?

Thanks in advance.
Edit as I reread your post for clarification.

You have a ticket post 24hr cancellation window. You will not get your points refunded. No investigator will do anything for you. Enjoy the trip.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:58 pm

You left out some information.

1. Do you exchange points from Chase to an airline and then used those points to book tickets?

2. Or did you use the points as cash (depending on your cards, they usually have a value between 1 cent and 1.5 cents) and then bought the tickets?

If it was #1 then you'd have to contact the airline to see if you can cancel the tickets and get the points back. Although in that case the points would remain as FF points for that airline and usually there is a fee associated with getting the points back unless you have status with that airline.

If it was #2, I don't know. Technically you missed the deadline but usually a company like Chase would consider the circumstances and probably give them back to you. Kind of like sitting at a bar near the end of happy hour but the server didn't get to you until after HH had ended. Whose fault is it? If you leave for an airport 2 hrs ahead of time but there is a traffic jam and you miss the flight, is it the airline's fault?

Good luck.

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:15 pm

If you don't get help from the analyst the aforementioned flyertalk forum may help. Here is their Wiki on booking flights using Ultimate Rewards points: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-u ... blems.html

You should note that using these points is handled by Expedia, which is an OTA (Online Travel Agent) and that the terms and conditions are those of the OTA. Sometimes airline policies such as government mandated 24 hour cancellation that apply to airlines do not apply to an OTA. But if you saw a cancellation window, then it sounds like a messed up transaction where Expedia acting as agent for Chase should fix the problem. You may find a conversation in that thread or could post your question there.

Topic Author
blackcat allie

Post by blackcat allie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:43 pm

rich126 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:58 pm
You left out some information.

1. Do you exchange points from Chase to an airline and then used those points to book tickets?

2. Or did you use the points as cash (depending on your cards, they usually have a value between 1 cent and 1.5 cents) and then bought the tickets?

If it was #1 then you'd have to contact the airline to see if you can cancel the tickets and get the points back. Although in that case the points would remain as FF points for that airline and usually there is a fee associated with getting the points back unless you have status with that airline.

If it was #2, I don't know. Technically you missed the deadline but usually a company like Chase would consider the circumstances and probably give them back to you. Kind of like sitting at a bar near the end of happy hour but the server didn't get to you until after HH had ended. Whose fault is it? If you leave for an airport 2 hrs ahead of time but there is a traffic jam and you miss the flight, is it the airline's fault?

Good luck.
It was #2 , alas.
Metaphors-wise it seemed closer to the happy hour more than the traffic jam scenario, I'd say. In more detail though, it would be like server said - "I'll take your order in a few minutes - you don't need to stand at the bar. Or you could order through ipad on table." Then after a few minutes, server said, you can stand, we'll be with you for the order. And then you stood waiting for another hour. And the ipad interface wasn't letting you order either. :|

Thanks for the good luck wishes
“Nothing in life is as important as you think it is while you are thinking about it.” - Daniel Kahneman

Topic Author
blackcat allie

Post by blackcat allie » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:21 pm

dbr wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:15 pm
If you don't get help from the analyst the aforementioned flyertalk forum may help. Here is their Wiki on booking flights using Ultimate Rewards points: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-u ... blems.html

You should note that using these points is handled by Expedia, which is an OTA (Online Travel Agent) and that the terms and conditions are those of the OTA. Sometimes airline policies such as government mandated 24 hour cancellation that apply to airlines do not apply to an OTA. But if you saw a cancellation window, then it sounds like a messed up transaction where Expedia acting as agent for Chase should fix the problem. You may find a conversation in that thread or could post your question there.
Wondering about the relationship between Chase Sapphire & Expedia OTA --

Is there any way to leverage being Sapphire Banking customer? Phone customer service from "dedicated Sapphire banker" just handed me over to basic travel line. It seems like Expedia might be the one having to make reparations, but on the other hand, I'm a Chase customer.
I wish I could even find an actual person to email, rather than waiting on word from another mysterious "Investigator."

Thanks for your input. I did try the Flyer Talk site too

Topic Author
blackcat allie

Re: Expedia OTA - problem w Ultimate Rewards travel points, web/phone glitch

Post by blackcat allie » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:08 pm

blackcat allie wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:31 am

In more detail:

Thanks in advance.