Condo pool requires having an attendent on duty

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
knightrider

Condo pool requires having an attendent on duty

Post by knightrider » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:36 pm

Our condo's pool has to always have an attendant on-duty in order for resident to swim. So residents can't just swim by themselves. Apparently this is due to some local law that is done for the water quality and not for safety.. The attendants don't watch people swimming.

It makes little sense to me. Has anyone heard of such a law in their area? Trying to figure whether this is something worth investing more research into..
Last edited by knightrider on Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stan1

Re: Condo pool requires having an attendent on duty

Post by stan1 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:39 pm

Well I'm getting a visual on the water quality issue. On paper our HOA bans kids under 5 from the pool. Is it enforceable? Haven't had to find out yet.

suemarkp

Post by suemarkp » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:50 pm

For basic water quality, a morning and evening test should be plenty (and adding chemicals them if needed).

The last post may be implying the Baby Ruth bar on the pool floor that isn't a candy bar... Similar to when I took my kids to the pool for swimming lessons that were right around dinner time. We ate before hand, and he vomited spaghetti into the pool soon into the lesson. The "attendant" dumped some chlorine there and kept people away for a few minutes as it did its work and dissipated.
Mark | Kent, WA

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:51 pm

You need to read the local law for yourself and/or reproduce it here for any helpful discussion.

oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:57 pm

HOA rules don't need to make any sense. ....and may need to be followed. Want changes? Get on the board.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:58 pm

knightrider wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:36 pm
Our condo's pool has to always have an attendant on-duty in order for resident to swim. So residents can't just swim by themselves. Apparently this is due to some local law that is done for the water quality and not for safety.. The attendants don't watch people swimming.

It makes little sense to me. Has anyone heard of such a law in their area? Trying to figure whether this is something worth raising a stink over or not..
Nothing is worth raising stink over.
If you are not going to change it, it is not worth it.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:02 pm

Many states have laws that require a lifeguard on duty at public and recreational pools under most circumstances. Maryland for example is one of them. http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarh ... .01.40.htm

I'm not familiar with local regulations requiring an "attendant" for water quality issues.

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:04 pm

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if more neighborhoods start doing this. Heck, they may start passing laws in my locality. There have been several reports in the local news about people finding dooky in the pools around here.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:33 pm

Local laws are local. You need to ask a local.

Attendants are not required in my locality. Doesn't do you any good. Unless you're nearby, y'know, local.

Post by 123 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:21 pm

StandingRock wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:04 pm
... There have been several reports in the local news about people finding dooky in the pools around here.
Well I learned a new word today.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

josehde

Post by josehde » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:31 pm

Interesting. Haven't heard of such law, but yeah, it makes sense.

Topic Author
knightrider

Post by knightrider » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:05 am

Ran into a board member yesterday and they said the law is the PH levels need to be checked twice a day. So the attendant was hired to do that, but it could also be done by a volunteer resident. However, the board member could not answer why the pool remains closed when there is no attendant..

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:11 am

Having some familiarity with HOA's, it is our impression that they can make rules as voted on by the board so long as they do not discriminate or are challenged, since regulations can also be changed if owners follow guidelines for doing so. Some monitor very minor issues, other little or hardly at all without complaints. Our condo HOA, for example, has just changed rules that formerly allowed children that were not toilet-trained to swim with swim diapers to not allowing that. We have no attendant.

Tim

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:19 am

knightrider wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:05 am
Ran into a board member yesterday and they said the law is the PH levels need to be checked twice a day. So the attendant was hired to do that, but it could also be done by a volunteer resident. However, the board member could not answer why the pool remains closed when there is no attendant..
Sounds like your HOA board is too lazy to put an ounce of thought in to finding a solution.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:05 pm

knightrider wrote:
All sorts of things affect balance of chemicals in a pool. Sun exposure can. pH changes quickly if chemicals (such as those in urine) are added. People should be showering thoroughly before getting in the pool - there are very reasons for that. Unfortunately, few pools enforce that.

Twice a day is a minimum to check chemicals, but not enough in a pool that gets a lot of use - or has a lot of young kids (who may have bladder control issues).
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimmi ... pools.html
https://www.manassasparkcommunitycenter ... h-barnett/

I don't go in hotel, or condo, or apt pools or hottubs. Don't think they're very clean.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:11 pm

I agree most public and private pools are revolting. A huge fraction of those swimming haven’t showered, in some cases for days. The pool is their bath tub. Crowded beaches can be even worse for water quality.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:43 pm

123 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:21 pm
StandingRock wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:04 pm
... There have been several reports in the local news about people finding dooky in the pools around here.
Well I learned a new word today.
It's Dookie where I come from.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:54 am

knightrider wrote:
It makes little sense to me. Has anyone heard of such a law in their area? Trying to figure whether this is something worth investing more research into..
Seems silly to me as well. Go to a Board Meeting and ask.

I'm on the Board of our HOA. Homeowners never bother to attend meetings. When I encounter them during a walk, lots of them will complain. I always answer the same way: "Bring it up at the next meeting."

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:57 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:54 am
knightrider wrote:
Seems silly to me as well. Go to a Board Meeting and ask.

I'm on the Board of our HOA. Homeowners never bother to attend meetings. When I encounter them during a walk, lots of them will complain. I always answer the same way: "Bring it up at the next meeting."
1. If one person were to show up at a meeting with a non-stupid request we would seriously consider it. If TWO people came...TWO people, mind you...that would be a MOVEMENT, and unprecedented. Alarm bells would go off, the klaxon would sound, all hands on deck.

2. It is not uncommon for people to spout off with claims that there are laws about this or that. The best counter is actual knowledge. Now if OP were to show up at a board meeting with evidence that there was no such local law...that would be a very convincing reason to change things. Complaining to the board that they should figure it out...that's a different story. They are volunteers, and maybe they don't want to swim after hours.

3. Having said that, it does not make sense to ME to have a pool open 24 hours. Ours, (officially) closes late in the evening.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:17 am

At my parents’ condo, the pool is closed from 8pm to 8am for several reasons according to the Board - liability concerns, noise concerns raised by units nearer to the pool, and people leaving trash around the pool area.

It will be helpful if you advocate for change to understand if there are resident objections to the pool being open 24-hours/used without an attendant on-duty.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:24 am

knightrider wrote:
Our condo's pool has to always have an attendant on-duty in order for resident to swim.
There is a good chance that there was some incident 20 years ago that made this rule seem like a good idea but no one remembers now.

Changing the rule would require checking the current laws, the insurance policy, etc so it is easier to just leave it like it is.

As others have said you might want to go to the next board meeting to ask about it. You may even want to get on the board, at least in my subdivision the we always have to look for enough people to be on the board and anyone that volunteers is almost always elected.

MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:50 pm

mariezzz wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:05 pm
knightrider wrote:
All sorts of things affect balance of chemicals in a pool. Sun exposure can. pH changes quickly if chemicals (such as those in urine) are added. People should be showering thoroughly before getting in the pool - there are very reasons for that. Unfortunately, few pools enforce that.

Twice a day is a minimum to check chemicals, but not enough in a pool that gets a lot of use - or has a lot of young kids (who may have bladder control issues).

I don't go in hotel, or condo, or apt pools or hottubs. Don't think they're very clean.
I think this is a bit alarmist. I can guarantee you that most private pools have water checked only weekly and they are fine to swim in.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:54 pm

In the area where I live a condo pool is considered "semi-public" and is subject to this requirement:

REGULATION 6. Tests

All pools shall be equipped with approved test equipment to determine pH, disinfectant residual, total alkalinity and temperature. The chemical disinfection level, pH, total alkalinity, and temperature of the water shall be tested at least once daily and an operating log that includes the results of these tests shall be maintained for 12 months and made available to the Department, any other regulatory authorities, or a member of the public upon request.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:05 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:57 am
1. If one person were to show up at a meeting with a non-stupid request we would seriously consider it. If TWO people came...TWO people, mind you...that would be a MOVEMENT, and unprecedented. Alarm bells would go off, the klaxon would sound, all hands on deck.
LOL! Agreed.

We have seen the "one person" case, but never the "two people" case. That would be something to see.
2. It is not uncommon for people to spout off with claims that there are laws about this or that. The best counter is actual knowledge. Now if OP were to show up at a board meeting with evidence that there was no such local law...that would be a very convincing reason to change things. Complaining to the board that they should figure it out...that's a different story. They are volunteers, and maybe they don't want to swim after hours.
Yup. Of course it's pretty hard to prove a negative - that there is no such law. It's not unreasonable to ask the board for a citation about the "local law that is done for the water quality", though. If the board claims "there is a law" they should be able to indicate exactly which law.
3. Having said that, it does not make sense to ME to have a pool open 24 hours. Ours, (officially) closes late in the evening.
I agree with that.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:06 pm

MarkerFM wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:50 pm
mariezzz wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:05 pm
knightrider wrote:

I think this is a bit alarmist. I can guarantee you that most private pools have water checked only weekly and they are fine to swim in.
The CDC doesn't consider it alarmist.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:32 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (legal issue, nor is it related to personal finance). See: Acceptable Topics and Subforum Guidelines
This is an investing and personal finance forum. We also maintain a subforum that allow our members to discuss consumer goods and services and recreational activities. Anything else is considered "Off Topic" and is not acceptable on this forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.