Why Are International ETF's Up When Foreign Markets Were Down?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
hirlaw

Why Are International ETF's Up When Foreign Markets Were Down?

Post by hirlaw » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:07 am

Can someone explain why, like today, international etf's (such as VEU) are up, when all foreign indexes were down the previous night. Thanks!

livesoft

Re: Why Are International ETF's Up When Foreign Markets Were Down?

Post by livesoft » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:16 am

I don't see an issue with that. They are reacting to the US markets and any other news in real-time. So yesterday, they reacted to US markets which closed last Friday and weekend news. Today they are reacting to everything.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:17 am

hirlaw wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:07 am
Can someone explain why, like today, international etf's (such as VEU) are up, when all foreign indexes were down the previous night. Thanks!
significant US blinkage in trade war.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:20 am

hirlaw wrote:
Perhaps livesoft took advantage today of the drop from the previous night, and others saw it as a signal that there will soon be a rebound and jumped in too.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:06 am

typical.investor wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:20 am
Perhaps livesoft took advantage today of the drop from the previous night, and others saw it as a signal that there will soon be a rebound and jumped in too.
I made a few trades yesterday to pay for expenses: I sold VTI in my taxable account and a little bit later I bought the same number of shares of VTI (at a lower price) in my IRA after selling some bond fund shares in my IRA.

See also: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Placing ... ed_account

I did call up the trade negotiator and tell them to delay imposing tariffs.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:29 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:16 am
I don't see an issue with that. They are reacting to the US markets and any other news in real-time. So yesterday, they reacted to US markets which closed last Friday and weekend news. Today they are reacting to everything.
I try to trade Foreign ETFs only when both Europe and New York markets are open. About one hour each weekday if there are no holiday issues.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:32 pm

Because nobody knows nothing.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:33 pm

One could argue that ETF prices are a better estimate of value than the stale prices of a closed market. Also, sometimes green money weakens versus brightly colored money, and that more than compensates for whatever foreign equities did.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:42 pm

hirlaw wrote:
You could ask the same question about US equities as follows:

Why are US ETFs up today, when all of the US indexes were down last night?

Of course, it's because ETF prices respond to current conditions. Closing indices from the prior day are just that - a stale indication as to where the market was yesterday.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt