Recommendations for home paper shredder

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nestegg_User

Re: Recommendations for home paper shredder

Post by Nestegg_User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:57 am

likegarden wrote:lazydavid, those two shopping bags are somewhere in our house over winter.
You mean like extra insulation :) ?

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:30 am

Paper shredders are an item where you get what you pay for. Currently use a Fellowes Powershred DM15C. Commercial quality unit, paid $179 at Costco a few years ago. Confetti cut 15 sheet capacity with a large removable bin. This unit is a beast and has earned the nickname Shredzillza.......................

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:23 am

Our first shredder overheated (don't remember brand), but it was cheap. We replaced it with a Staples 9-sheet cross-cut shredder 4 or 5 years ago and it is still going strong. I think it retailed for $50 at the time and we got it during a special for $25. We use it once a week and shred about one waste basket full.

geiserob

Post by geiserob » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Using the oils provided by the manufacturers over the years have convinced me that the intent is to gum up the shredders to a point they are worthless. I decided several years ago to use "valve oil" used to lubricate the valves on my trumpet. Clearly, that oil does not deteriorate and gum up. Working like a charm!

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:15 am

I have a Fellows PS-77C shredder. We have had it for many years and it works great. It will shred multiple sheets of paper at a time and you can use it for quite a while before it overheats. I highly recommend that brand.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:31 am

Two years later this necro thread is still going. I can provide an update to my previous contribution to this thread:
I have the same shredder and it has now not been oiled for 5 years. Still shredding something almost every day, but it has been moved to a more prominent location closer to the kitchen door, so junk mail doesn't make it further into the house.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:22 am

Ged wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:05 am
About a year ago I purchased this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q3 ... UTF8&psc=1

I am very happy with it. It's a bit more elaborate than the typical home shredder but it has worked out very well for me. I've used all of it's functions including shredding CDs and credit cards. Because of the 17 sheet thickness capacity I can often shred mail without opening the letter.

I particularly like the fact it has a 20 minute run time before cool down is needed.

One of my best purchases in the recent past.

Hint: you don't need to buy fancy shredder oil or lubrication sheets. Just use a few drops of Canola oil every time you change the bag which isn't that often because the bin is a good large size.
Yes, this one works really well. Also it is a crosscut shredder producing the aforementioned confetti. Does the Forum get a benefit when you order appliances from Amazon through the link?

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:45 pm

Ged wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:41 pm
F150HD wrote: where specifically do you put the oil?
Into the paper feed in the top. Basically an eyedropper full distributed along the metal feeders.
Or spray the metal shredder parts with WD-40. I use the thin spray extender to minimize the spray pattern.

Ged

Post by Ged » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:29 am

dbr wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:22 am
Ged wrote:

I am very happy with it. It's a bit more elaborate than the typical home shredder but it has worked out very well for me. I've used all of it's functions including shredding CDs and credit cards. Because of the 17 sheet thickness capacity I can often shred mail without opening the letter.

I particularly like the fact it has a 20 minute run time before cool down is needed.

Hint: you don't need to buy fancy shredder oil or lubrication sheets. Just use a few drops of Canola oil every time you change the bag which isn't that often because the bin is a good large size.
Yes, this one works really well. Also it is a crosscut shredder producing the aforementioned confetti. Does the Forum get a benefit when you order appliances from Amazon through the link?
If it is sold by Amazon I think so. Not sure about third party sales.

FWIW it is now three years old and I am still loving it.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:36 pm

I recommend Fellowes brand shredders.

TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:27 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:36 pm
I recommend Fellowes brand shredders.
I've owned this brand for 10 years now and it still works well. No maintenance required.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:21 am

I think shredders are a thing of the past for the most part.

In my community, they regularly have shred events where you can bring in important documents and have them shredded at no cost. I have used those once.

However, I have decided that nobody has time to snoop through recycling or garbage and 95% of what is in my garbage / recycling is my kids art. I have simply dropped important documents in the recycling and have never had an issue doing so to date. Saves a huge amount of time compared to shredding everything.

jumppilot

Post by jumppilot » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:25 am

Ged wrote:

Agree on all.

I purchased that shredder 2 years ago and it’s still going strong. I used to own a smaller, 8 page shredder and it always jammed. This one takes whatever I throw at it (within reason, of course).

I’d buy it again.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:39 am

I agree about getting a larger, more robust unit, with a capacity of 12-15 sheets. My Staples 15-sheet unit has worked flawlessly for years. See also Wirecutter recommendations: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-paper-shredders/

But if your office has one I'd probably just save the shredding for there. Shredders take up a fair amount of space.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:52 am

Get a Fellowes shredder. Works like a charm. I had one problem in the eight years I've had it. I called their 800 number and they told me how to fix with ease. That was a couple of years ago, well out of warranty, and they provided immediate, bullseye-accurate help.
The $50-70 copiers that preceded it all overheated and died quick, acrid-electronic failure smelling deaths . The Fellowes is a bulldozer.

GeMoney

Post by GeMoney » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:20 pm

I have the Aurora AS890C 8 sheet cross cut which is also sold under the Amazon Basics brand. The Amazon version is recommended by the wire cutter site. This is the only consumer shredder I've used that hasn't burned out after moderate use.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:16 pm

I would not just get the cheapest one.

I would spend a bit more and get one that can handle more sheets and does the crosscut shredding. One problem I ran into with the cheapest ones was that they easily overheated and got jammed with multiple sheets.

chemocean

Post by chemocean » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:01 pm

Our county just removed shredded paper from those items that can be recycled. Probably, such restrictions will occur other places due to tightening recycled material market. The major shredding companies got together and have a number of shredding events around the county where individuals can drop off their paper to be shredded for free. The shredded paper is then recycled by the major shredding companies.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:45 am

chemocean wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:01 pm
Our county just removed shredded paper from those items that can be recycled. Probably, such restrictions will occur other places due to tightening recycled material market. The major shredding companies got together and have a number of shredding events around the county where individuals can drop off their paper to be shredded for free. The shredded paper is then recycled by the major shredding companies.
Yes - shredded paper (depending on the shredding method) takes up a lot of space and can be messy - and often cannot be recycled - as could un-shredded paper.

I see these shredding events promoted regularly - sometimes by government entities and sometimes by businesses - such as credit unions.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:37 pm

jumppilot wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:25 am
Ged wrote:

Agree on all.

I purchased that shredder 2 years ago and it’s still going strong. I used to own a smaller, 8 page shredder and it always jammed. This one takes whatever I throw at it (within reason, of course).

I’d buy it again.
:moneybag :moneybag :moneybag PRICE DROP :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag

This shredder seems to have dropped in price considerably. I had placed it in my Amazon shopping cart earlier, based on this thread.

Just noticed that price today is about $119, over $50 less than the prior $178 price!

Look forward to taking delivery later this week!

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:17 pm

We bought this model ten years ago; we use it weekly and have experienced no problems so far.

Fellowes 32197 shredder:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000H6991S/

It looks like this exact model isn’t sold, but there may be others on the market that are similar to it, for example “ Fellowes Powershred 99Ci 100% Jam Proof Cross-Cut Paper Shredder:”

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YGO7HW/

Andy.