Looking for lake house in Southeast, recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
EdNorton

Looking for lake house in Southeast, recommendations

Post by EdNorton » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:51 am

Hoping to buy lake house in short term future, 5 years possibly.

Wants:

1) Prefer mountains, VA,SC,NC and TN. Would like to be close to decent size city with decent hospitals, restaurants and entertainment. Asheville and Greenville are both nice cities in my opinion.
2) Would love a lake with nice clean cold water, limited houses, no jet skis, good fishing, etc. I wouldn't mind a horsepower limitation, be fine to putz along at 10mph.
3) Would like to be near multiple hiking trails, but might be less important as we age. Current ages 63 & 62.

I would like to hear some recommendations. Thank you.
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho

carolinaman

Re: Looking for lake house in Southeast, recommendations

Post by carolinaman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:21 am

EdNorton wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:51 am

Wants:

1) Prefer mountains, VA,SC,NC and TN. Would like to be close to decent size city with decent hospitals, restaurants and entertainment. Asheville and Greenville are both nice cities in my opinion.
2) Would love a lake with nice clean cold water, limited houses, no jet skis, good fishing, etc. I wouldn't mind a horsepower limitation, be fine to putz along at 10mph.
3) Would like to be near multiple hiking trails, but might be less important as we age. Current ages 63 & 62.

I have a friend who lives on Lake James near Morganton, NC which is in the mountains not too far from Asheville. Beautiful lake with lots of nice homes but not crowded or touristy. You get a great view of Chimney Rock from the lake. Asheville is the closest city but not too far from Charlotte and Winston Salem. Both have great medical options.

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:08 pm

Lake Lure

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:18 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:21 am
EdNorton wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:51 am

Wants:

I have a friend who lives on Lake James near Morganton, NC which is in the mountains not too far from Asheville. Beautiful lake with lots of nice homes but not crowded or touristy. You get a great view of Chimney Rock from the lake. Asheville is the closest city but not too far from Charlotte and Winston Salem. Both have great medical options.
I was thinking the same thing. I've hiked up near Lake James at South Mountain State Park. I'm not sure if jet skis are prohibited.

tnr

Post by tnr » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:24 pm

What about lake property near Knoxville? Tellico near Leonor City or Douglass near Sevierville. Both would be less than 20 miles from Smoky Mtns for hiking.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:20 pm

Incredible coincidence that my wife and I are looking at the exact same thing with the same goals. Last month we took a trip to that area to scout out places. West of Asheville there is Lake Glenville and Lake Toxaway which are fairly isolated with not much activity. They both seem to have active retirement communities and are near Highlands/Cashiers areas. If you want REAL isolation you can go further east to Fontana Lake or Santeetlah. South of Asheville is Lake Lure which is a little busier and ore crowded since it's closer to the city, but being closer to the city (and airport) has advantages such as medical care and specialized services. Lake Summit is south of Asheville (towards Greenville) in Tuxedo, NC and a much smaller lake but gorgeous. I wasn't as impressed further east towards Lake James because it starts to get out of the mountains.

elcadarj

Post by elcadarj » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:33 pm

How large a lake do you need? The typical practice on Lake Lure or Lake Summit is to have a ski boat + a pontoon. Both lakes limit boat size. Lake Keowee https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Keowee is large and beautiful clean water, water level is driven by minimum requirements to support Oconee Nuclear Station so the lake level doesn’t vary much. Just below the Blue Ridge Escarpment. Lake Jocassee above and Lake Hartwell below. Keowee is near Clemson SC so all that’s associated with the University is available. Greenville SC, Asheville NC, both about an hour away. Lake Toxaway https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Toxaway is another beautiful mountain lake at 3000’ but a little more remote.

elcadarj

Post by elcadarj » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:54 pm

After rereading your post, I suggest this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Tahoma

Topic Author
EdNorton

Post by EdNorton » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:27 am

Thanks for the replies. Lake doesn't need to be large, I wouldn't mind a 25 HP limitation.

I did take a look a Lake James and most listings seemed $1million plus. That's about $250k more than my upper budget.

Thanks for the responses.
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho

Chicken lady

Post by Chicken lady » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:46 am

Though not exactly mountain though hilly, rural, and wooded you might want to look at the Cordell Hull Lake area (Smithville) in Tennessee. Rural, hiking, large lake within 45 minute/1 hour drive from Nashville which has anything you might want from an urban area. There's a branch of Tennessee Technology University in the area that specializes in teaching varied craft artists (think blown glass, ceramic, fiber, and woodworking of all sorts). There are numerous creatives in the area if that appeals to you. Appalachian Center for Craft

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:27 am

Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia.

522 miles of shoreline, deep clean water, lake doesn't freeze over, 4 seasons, close to Roanoke and Lynchburg, 1 hour to the mountains, 4-5 hours to Carolina beaches, major airports within 2.5-4 hours drive, fairly slow pace of living, ....

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:05 am

We just visited the Lake Keowee area with the same goal. Housing is expensive, lake is very nice. Seneca is a town that has most of downtown vacant or boarded up (think blight), with all the functioning businesses on the main road that bypasses downtown. Locals told us it has been this way for 15 years. We are exploring Hartwell Lake on the SC side which is close to Anderson, and then Greenville. Looking at other lakes also.

Some of the lakes listed in this thread are privately owned. I would be cautious on those.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Carini

Post by Carini » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:18 am

My in-laws live on Lake Keowee and the houses directly on the lake are certainly expensive. You could easily spend a million dollars on the larger properties. If you don't want/need to be directly on the water you will spend much less. I believe there is also a decent size HOA fee in their community. There are also plenty of jet skis, so probably not the lake for you if you are looking to avoid them.

flossy21

Post by flossy21 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:49 am

Check out Lake Monticello near Charlottesville, VA with University of Virginia Medical Center. 300+ acre lake. Gated community with it's own security. Golf course, pool, clubhouse. No jet skis. Max boat length is 24'. Lake front homes from $350k to $750k.

http://www.lmoavoice.org/

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:21 am

Not sure exactly what your limitations are distance wise, but Arkansas has multiple lakes that would fit the bill and are very reasonably priced. Lakes you might consider are Norfork, Greers Ferry and Bull Shoals. They are all large (Up to 40,000 acres) and fishing is outstanding on the lakes. There is trout fishing on the trailwaters below the lakes for Rainbow, Brown (World record size), Cutthroat and Brook, and they are considered world class rivers (White and Little Red). World record Walleye at Greers Ferry where we had a house until recently. It was 2,800 sq. feet, 150 feet from the lake (There are no houses on the water, so you have a clear vision without many houses from the water) and was purchased for $280,000. Would stay away from Tellico. It is almost like a city with houses on the bank, side-by-side.

Tim

sktn77a

Post by sktn77a » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:18 pm

dekecarver wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:27 am
Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia.

522 miles of shoreline, deep clean water, lake doesn't freeze over, 4 seasons, close to Roanoke and Lynchburg, 1 hour to the mountains, 4-5 hours to Carolina beaches, major airports within 2.5-4 hours drive, fairly slow pace of living, ....
We own a house on Smith Mountain Lake and really love it. However, I don't think it's what the OP is looking for. It's pretty commercialized, lost of jet skis and bass boats (no speed limits), and get's pretty warm in the summer (water temp high 80's).