Cutting the Cord - NFL Network?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fishmonger

Cutting the Cord - NFL Network?

Post by fishmonger »

So finally cutting the cord. Have had Directv for about 7 years, always called and threatened to cancel and they would always slash my bill. No dice this go around, so we're cancelling.

Looking into streaming options (even DirecTV now, funny as that is) and I don't see any option that has NFL Network? Don't watch a ton of TV, but NFL Network is a must have for me - not just for games, but on a daily basis. Looks like I may have to go with Spectrum?

Anyone else dealt with this?
abner kravitz

Re: Cutting the Cord - NFL Network?

Post by abner kravitz »

There are a few streaming services that have it - Playstation, Sling, Fubo. There may be others. Some of these services aren't all that cheap, and some just have the NFL Network and not the Red Zone.

I'll be following this thread with interest. The Red Zone and NHL Center Ice are the only things keeping me from cutting the cord. If I could find workarounds for those two, I would drop Spectrum like a bad habit. Unfortunately, streaming ice hockey does not please me, so that will probably keep me hanging on.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Playstation Vue has NFL Network, NBA TV, MLB Network, and soon NHL Network. Also SEC,ACC,Big Ten, most ESPNs, Fox Sports, Regionals...I buy MLB.TV online. $50 a month. Get it on Roku,Apple TV, laptop, ipad, iphone, etc. Vue is great for sports.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

abner kravitz wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:13 pm There are a few streaming services that have it - Playstation, Sling, Fubo. There may be others. Some of these services aren't all that cheap, and some just have the NFL Network and not the Red Zone.

I'll be following this thread with interest. The Red Zone and NHL Center Ice are the only things keeping me from cutting the cord. If I could find workarounds for those two, I would drop Spectrum like a bad habit. Unfortunately, streaming ice hockey does not please me, so that will probably keep me hanging on.
PS Vue has Red Zone in a sports package for $10 more a month. Instead of NHL Center Ice buy NHL.TV it's better. Remember, PS Vue is a flat monthly charge, no HD or DVR charge. 5 streams at once. I pay $50 + tax and get it on 5 TV's.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

DirecTV is still cutting deals. Great deals actually.

I recently renegotiated since my discounts were dropping off. I was able to get $65 in discounts each month x 12 months. My monthly bill (all in) is $76.65. Four HD receivers. No contract.

Don't give up yet OP. You just gotta get the right person on the other end of the call.
Funding secured
Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 »

"Don't give up yet OP. You just gotta get the right person on the other end of the call."

lol
Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 »

Interestingly enough I have no cord (or internet) - DVDs and when football rolls around I plan to use an antenna for Eagles games on Sunday. That's all.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

3.5 years on PlayStation (Sony) Vue TV.

Amazon Fire TV box on each tv.

Lots of sports. $50 package.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

I've heard of people using a Chromebook or similar device hooking up an HDMI to their TV and using Reddit to find streams. Heard it works pretty well, just have to find a reliable stream (which seems pretty easy), X out any ads, drag it over to your TV and then click full screen. Slightly less user friendly than using a service for Center Ice. The streams are like used cars though, sometimes you might get a lemon.

You could also use NHL.tv but there are black outs which is super annoying. I had an NHL.tv account for a couple years, but the blackout restrictions are ridiculous so I cancelled.
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

NFL Game pass is $99.

That and a VPN will get you anything you want. ;)
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.
wilked

Post by wilked »

health teacher wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:26 pm I've heard of people using a Chromebook or similar device hooking up an HDMI to their TV and using Reddit to find streams. Heard it works pretty well, just have to find a reliable stream (which seems pretty easy), X out any ads, drag it over to your TV and then click full screen. Slightly less user friendly than using a service for Center Ice. The streams are like used cars though, sometimes you might get a lemon.
Not mentioned but it’s also illegal
Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

DanMahowny wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:39 pm DirecTV is still cutting deals. Great deals actually.

I recently renegotiated since my discounts were dropping off. I was able to get $65 in discounts each month x 12 months. My monthly bill (all in) is $76.65. Four HD receivers. No contract.

Don't give up yet OP. You just gotta get the right person on the other end of the call.
Like I've said, have done that every year and it's worked great. Last fall got them to give it to me for $45/month (two HD receivers with DVR). Have talked to 3 people this round and best they can do is $85 or so
Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

So looks like PlayStation Vue is a contender. What do people recommend between Roku, Amazon Firestick, etc? Want it to be as easy as possible, we have two Sony smart TVs
Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

KSOC wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:08 pm
abner kravitz wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:13 pm There are a few streaming services that have it - Playstation, Sling, Fubo. There may be others. Some of these services aren't all that cheap, and some just have the NFL Network and not the Red Zone.

PS Vue has Red Zone in a sports package for $10 more a month. Instead of NHL Center Ice buy NHL.TV it's better. Remember, PS Vue is a flat monthly charge, no HD or DVR charge. 5 streams at once. I pay $50 + tax and get it on 5 TV's.
No blackout of local market NFL games?
wilked

Post by wilked »

fishmonger wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:31 am So looks like PlayStation Vue is a contender. What do people recommend between Roku, Amazon Firestick, etc? Want it to be as easy as possible, we have two Sony smart TVs
Roku all the way. Roku is great as it is agnostic, as opposed to google or amazon products
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

fishmonger wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:39 am
KSOC wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:08 pm

No blackout of local market NFL games?
Nope. I do not know where you live, but most areas include locals. Where I'm at, I get the Bucs & Jags, and depending on their schedule, sometimes the Dolphins. You will also get your local regionals sports. I get Rays,Marlins & Lightning. PS Vue offers a one week free trial. What's to lose? Put you zip code in their website and see what locals you get.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

fishmonger wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:31 am So looks like PlayStation Vue is a contender. What do people recommend between Roku, Amazon Firestick, etc? Want it to be as easy as possible, we have two Sony smart TVs
I have PS Vue thru 2 Roku's, 1 AppleTV, 1 Roku Stick & 1 Roku Express. The last two I mentioned I got on sale for $25 each. They work as well as the others. I have one in bedroom & one in room with my Elliptical.

All streaming services have free trials. I tried all except youtube. PS Vue streamed best for me, and the channels I get for the "Core" package satisfied my wifes requirements as well.

One note, if you like flipping thru the channels, stick with cable or satellite. To me that feature wasn't worth the extra $90 a month I had with Directv.
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

I also do PS Vue. You do not need to have a Playstation gaming system to watch the Vue (which is what I had previously thought). I have Apple TV, Roku, and Fire Stick....they all work great.
NewPhoneWhoDis

Post by NewPhoneWhoDis »

Yup, PS Vue through Roku here. Super simple and a great service.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

KSOC wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:07 am
I have PS Vue thru 2 Roku's, 1 AppleTV, 1 Roku Stick & 1 Roku Express. The last two I mentioned I got on sale for $25 each. They work as well as the others. I have one in bedroom & one in room with my Elliptical.

All streaming services have free trials. I tried all except youtube. PS Vue streamed best for me, and the channels I get for the "Core" package satisfied my wifes requirements as well.

One note, if you like flipping thru the channels, stick with cable or satellite. To me that feature wasn't worth the extra $90 a month I had with Directv.
How many units does the PS vue devices does a single subscription include?

In our home we have 4 smart TVs (living room, master bedroom and the kids bedroom, and den) along with at least 4 devices (iPads and phone). Does the PS vue require multiple fees?

Currently use cable and pay package base and $10 for each additional TV- extra $30/month).

In addition when traveling can you stream on a device from your “home base” package?

I want to cut the cord but I am a generation X’er and still stuck on the perceived convenience.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I had a Roku in the past but got rid of it. I'm sure it has changed since I've had it.

Currently I picked up an Amazon Firestick for $15 last year (holiday season) and wasn't sure if I would even use it but figured it wasn't much to lose. Turns out I used it a lot while traveling and could stream on most hotel internets (did pick up an extension cord). If a hotel has a portal, it will provide the login screen on the tv.

If you have a 4K tv then you need the more expensive firestick. You just plug it into a HDMI port and it also needs a power outlet nearby.

Then I ended up changing jobs and moving. So far I'm doing w/o TV and just using a 100 Mbps internet connection for my streaming needs.

I'd agree with the other poster that the Roku is agnostic but for what I do the firestick is perfect.

Depending on the smart tv, you may already have the apps to do a lot of stuff although the interface to use them may not be as good as on the Firestick or Roku. I had a cheap, small Vizio TV next to my computer and didn't care for the apps that ran on it.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo »

KSOC wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:08 pmInstead of NHL Center Ice buy NHL.TV it's better.
Center Ice is the one reason DIRECTV still gets some money from me. ($36/mo total, on the Family Pack, after $25/mo ATT wireless discount and free HBO)

When you sub to CI, you also get NHL.tv access. When it works, I agree that the quality and features of NHL.tv are better than watching via satellite. There were still countless times I had to bail on NHL.tv last season and fall back to satellite broadcasts because of streaming issues.

Our primary services are:

YoutubeTV (Locals, Smithsonian, regional sports networks, NBCSN, FOX Sports)
Philo (A&E, Viacom channels, Science channel)
Hulu
Netflix

NHL.tv remains the only service we have regular problems with, on AppleTV 4k and Roku platforms.
catdude

Post by catdude »

Not to thread jack, but does anybody know of any streaming service that includes the Pac-12 network? I currently have YouTube TV and I love it, but would consider ditching it for another provider that has Pac-12...
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

catdude wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:49 pm Not to thread jack, but does anybody know of any streaming service that includes the Pac-12 network? I currently have YouTube TV and I love it, but would consider ditching it for another provider that has Pac-12...
Fubo TV is great for sports and has Pac-12. They even have a sports package that includes several Pac-12 channels.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I don't watch sports but NFL Network is available on Sling, and RedZone is an add-on. I've had Sling for a couple of years now and it works great. It's probably the cheapest option at $25/mo.
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

I switched from DirecTV to Vue around 6 months ago and just noticed that my Core Package has increased from $50 to $55/mo. :annoyed
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Xrayman69 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:04 pm

In our home we have 4 smart TVs (living room, master bedroom and the kids bedroom, and den) along with at least 4 devices (iPads and phone). Does the PS vue require multiple fees?

Currently use cable and pay package base and $10 for each additional TV- extra $30/month).

In addition when traveling can you stream on a device from your “home base” package?

I want to cut the cord but I am a generation X’er and still stuck on the perceived convenience.
I believe 5 streams. Both my daughters can use it, one of which is 1000 miles away from me.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

SpaethCo wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:08 pm
KSOC wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:08 pmInstead of NHL Center Ice buy NHL.TV it's better.
Center Ice is the one reason DIRECTV still gets some money from me. ($36/mo total, on the Family Pack, after $25/mo ATT wireless discount and free HBO)

When you sub to CI, you also get NHL.tv access. When it works, I agree that the quality and features of NHL.tv are better than watching via satellite. There were still countless times I had to bail on NHL.tv last season and fall back to satellite broadcasts because of streaming issues.

Our primary services are:

YoutubeTV (Locals, Smithsonian, regional sports networks, NBCSN, FOX Sports)
Philo (A&E, Viacom channels, Science channel)
Hulu
Netflix

NHL.tv remains the only service we have regular problems with, on AppleTV 4k and Roku platforms.
I haven't any issues with any games on NHL.TV. Of course I'm blacked out on Lightning games, but that because my regional Fox Sports has the game, or NBC Sports is carrying it.
catdude

Post by catdude »

yolli71 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:08 pm
catdude wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:49 pm Not to thread jack, but does anybody know of any streaming service that includes the Pac-12 network? I currently have YouTube TV and I love it, but would consider ditching it for another provider that has Pac-12...
Fubo TV is great for sports and has Pac-12. They even have a sports package that includes several Pac-12 channels.
Thanks, I hadn't heard of them but I just checked out their website. Unfortunately it looks like they don't carry either the ESPN networks, or MLB network, both of which are must-haves for me. But regardless, thanks for the tip.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

The streams on PS Vue are complicated. TV vs Mobile device, In Home or outside of your home. Inside can be all TV based devices or a mix.

Outside, you can only watch mobile. Phone or Tablet. Our college daughter can use it at college, but not on Fire TV. iPhone or iPad both work as they are "mobile".

From their FAQ:

HOW MANY DEVICES CAN I STREAM PLAYSTATION™VUE ON AT ONCE?

A single PlayStation™Vue account can simultaneously stream PlayStation™Vue on up to five devices at a given time. The number of streams supported on specific devices will vary based on the following rules:

When you first subscribe, you’ll have access to three simultaneous streams, both in-home and out-of-home. After you set your home device, you’ll receive two additional streams to use in-home, for a total of up to five simultaneous streams in-home, within the guidelines below. Note: you can only have one home device set at a time. You can set or change your home device up to three times.
Whether or not you set your home device, you can stream on three devices out-of-home.

Mobile devices, such as supported iOS devices, Android devices, and a web browser on a computer can be used for up to three simultaneous mobile streams.

Note: Some mobile content availability restrictions apply when you are outside your home.
The same blackout rules apply on a supported mobile phone, tablet, and computer browser as they do on PlayStation™Vue on a TV-connected device.

Other supported devices like Amazon Fire TV, Roku® Players or TVs, Apple TV®, Android TV, and a PlayStation®3 console can also be used for simultaneous streams, within the limit of five streams total.
Sunsetscotch

Post by Sunsetscotch »

With any of these options is there a way to watch any complete out-of-area football game? I am so fed up with Direct TV over the past year and am ready to get ride of it after 20 years but the only thing keeping me is the NFL Sunday Ticket. I'm in the NJ/NYC market and would like to watch more than the Giants/Jets games but can't find a way except NFL Sunday Ticket.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Go with PlayStation Vue and Roku...
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

fishmonger wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:59 pm So finally cutting the cord. Have had Directv for about 7 years, always called and threatened to cancel and they would always slash my bill. No dice this go around, so we're cancelling.

Looking into streaming options (even DirecTV now, funny as that is) and I don't see any option that has NFL Network? Don't watch a ton of TV, but NFL Network is a must have for me - not just for games, but on a daily basis. Looks like I may have to go with Spectrum?

Yes, give up watching football. You'll be glad you did after a couple of years. So much more free time :)
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

catdude wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:52 pm
Thanks, I hadn't heard of them but I just checked out their website. Unfortunately it looks like they don't carry either the ESPN networks, or MLB network, both of which are must-haves for me. But regardless, thanks for the tip.
Try the second package up. Its $55 and should have all of that. They typically have sign up deals with shopping portals and credit cards so you might nail a discount if you are willing to do some googling.

EDIT: I done messed up.
Last edited by MichCPA on Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

Sunsetscotch wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:05 pm With any of these options is there a way to watch any complete out-of-area football game? I am so fed up with Direct TV over the past year and am ready to get ride of it after 20 years but the only thing keeping me is the NFL Sunday Ticket. I'm in the NJ/NYC market and would like to watch more than the Giants/Jets games but can't find a way except NFL Sunday Ticket.
This was my my main concern about leaving DirecTV as well. I've had DirecTV and Sunday Ticket since 1999. I finally decided to cut the cord around 6 months ago and went with Playstation Vue. As for NFL, my plan is to try the NFL Game Pass for $99: https://gamepass.nfl.com/packages

Yes, it sucks not to be able to watch the games live, but I think I can live with that. Games are available right after they end. Plus, getting access to NFL Films Archive and Film Session is pretty cool. You can also watch any game you want dating back to the 2011 season.
jdb

Post by jdb »

fortfun wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:31 pm
fishmonger wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:59 pm
Yes, give up watching football. You'll be glad you did after a couple of years. So much more free time :)
+1. Glad to see I am not alone in cutting the cord on NFL football. Games were getting boring to me, and the collective league boycott of Colin, who I think still has lots of talent, was last straw for me. Now lots more free time. Too bad there is no way to transfer my ownership stock certificate in Packers. Good luck.
Last edited by jdb on Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catdude

Post by catdude »

MichCPA wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:35 pm
catdude wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:52 pm
Try the second package up. Its $55 and should have all of that. They typically have sign up deals with shopping portals and credit cards so you might nail a discount if you are willing to do some googling.
Are you sure Fubo has ESPN and MLB? I've checked their website thoroughly and don't see any indication of that.
Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

jdb wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:54 pm
+1. Glad to see I am not alone in cutting the cord on NFL football. Games were getting boring to me, and the collective league boycott of Colin, who I think still has lots of talent, was last straw for me. Now lots more free time. Too bad there is no way to transfer my ownership stock certificate in Packers. Good luck.
Somebody had to go there...
wilked

Post by wilked »

fishmonger wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:10 pm
jdb wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:54 pm
Somebody had to go there...
Agreed. Been a long road for the Pack but hopefully they can climb back to respectability within a few years
Socrates

Post by Socrates »

NFL Network or Sunday Ticket....two very different things :shock:
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I've been with DTV along time and right now I'm getting $60/month in loyalty discounts, plus other discounts. But I'm also with ATT which makes a difference.

One thing I did a couple of years ago when they started to balk at my cancelation threats is I actually canceled, but set the cancel date to be set 3 weeks in the future. The next day I got an email offering substantial discounts.
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

catdude wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:01 pm
Are you sure Fubo has ESPN and MLB? I've checked their website thoroughly and don't see any indication of that.
Apologies, I had the youtube tv and Fubo pages up side by side and pulled the wrong one. You are correct.

I submit myself humbly to the forum for my 40 lashes. :(
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

fishmonger wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:59 pm So finally cutting the cord. Have had Directv for about 7 years, always called and threatened to cancel and they would always slash my bill. No dice this go around, so we're cancelling.

Why is it whenever people give this advice they omit the big catch to the plan? For those who don't know, the catch is you aren't watching football if you do this. The far better route is to supplement your NFL viewing with IFL and AFL in the NFL's non-playing seasons. Those leagues provide their own streaming services at no charge, too. Plus, in 2020, we're getting Pac Pro and XFL.

A second TV for golf tournaments completes the package.
wilked wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:14 pm Been a long road for the Pack but hopefully they can climb back to respectability within a few years
I wouldn't be so quick to write off the Packers. They won a Super Bowl this decade, denying the Steelers the same. That was pretty cool. The "Hail Larry" game is still a recent memory too, and the Cardinals last season finally had their first win in Lambeau in my father's lifetime. You might not have enjoyed those last two as much as I did, but if Matt LaFleur turns out to be good, you can enjoy them in retrospect, kind of the opposite of when the Jets saw Mo Lewis knock an opposing QB out of the game some years ago. :D
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
catdude

Post by catdude »

MichCPA wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:45 am
catdude wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:01 pm
Apologies, I had the youtube tv and Fubo pages up side by side and pulled the wrong one. You are correct.

I submit myself humbly to the forum for my 40 lashes. :(
No problemo dude, I've been known to make an occasional mistake myself, believe it or not... :beer
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

KSOC wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:20 pm

I believe 5 streams. Both my daughters can use it, one of which is 1000 miles away from me.
5 streams is correct I believe...but just to clarify because the OP asked how many "units/devices" does a single subscription include. The amount of devices is technically unlimited (i believe), its just that you can't have more than 5 simultaneous streams going on at once.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

No extra fees - I pay $58 a month with tax. Total. Fini. Done.
Yes you can watch away from home but the locals will be from the zip code you are watching from.
Also not said before - your PS VUE login gets you into all the channel APPS no matter where you are at, as long as that channel is in your subscription.
Example - AMC or FX or HGTV, etc.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

KSOC wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:03 pm

Yes you can watch away from home but the locals will be from the zip code you are watching from.
Also not said before - your PS VUE login gets you into all the channel APPS no matter where you are at, as long as that channel is in your subscription.
Well the PS Vue option is history (will be shortly). I never got around to trying it. Any suggestions as to the best replacement?

(Stories came out all over the place yesterday. Previously I saw stories about them trying to sell the business.)
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/30/tech/son ... index.html
Rising content costs and fewer customers are forcing Sony to eliminate its live TV service.

PlayStation Vue will shut down on January 30, after four years of existence.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

Oh darn! Welp...I guess I'll be switching to YouTube TV. That was my 2nd choice and my cousin swears by it.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

rich126 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:30 am
KSOC wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:03 pm

Well the PS Vue option is history (will be shortly). I never got around to trying it. Any suggestions as to the best replacement?

(Stories came out all over the place yesterday. Previously I saw stories about them trying to sell the business.)
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/30/tech/son ... index.html
Rising content costs and fewer customers are forcing Sony to eliminate its live TV service.

PlayStation Vue will shut down on January 30, after four years of existence.
Poor marketing, again. They were afraid to change the name to like, uh, something like"Vue"? They'd have been better off calling it "Chocolate Cake". Every one thought you had to have a PlayStation unit. Like Betamax, they had the best product. I might be done. The big three at our house are MLB & NHL Networks, and Hallmark. I've found no other streaming service that has those 3.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Life is getting too complicated.
Slow and steady wins the race.