Recommendations for Polish Beer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
Topic Author
Canopus
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:33 pm

Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by Canopus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:45 am

Have located an old-world-style Polish butcher shop/deli close to where I live. Will be buying blood kishka (kishke), kielbasa, and pierogis to have an authentic Polish meal.

The shop also stocks various brands of imported Polish beer. Can anyone recommend a brand that I can buy? (I typically drink Yuengling traditional lager. Don't particularly like the taste of IPAs.)

Canopus

jb1
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:33 am
Location: NC

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by jb1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:49 am

Lech 100%. It’s in a green bottle and tastes amazing with polish “syrup” or with a lemon. I played soccer in Poland and that was all we drank after games.

Tyskie and zywiec is also decent.

User avatar
Topic Author
Canopus
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by Canopus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:00 pm

Excuse my ignorance, but what is Polish syrup? And how does one consume it with beer?

Canopus

Whakamole
Posts: 1031
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by Whakamole » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:17 pm

Zywiec makes a nice porter.

livesoft
Posts: 67760
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:38 pm

Canopus wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:45 am
The shop also stocks various brands of imported Polish beer. Can anyone recommend a brand that I can buy?
I'd recommend one of the brands of imported Polish beer that the shop stocks.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 5142
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by Kenkat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:46 pm

Yes, always good to ask the shop what they recommend. You could also see if they have any Kvass, which is a low alcohol, semi-beer like drink also very popular in Poland, Ukraine, etc.

jb1
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:33 am
Location: NC

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by jb1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:49 pm

Canopus wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:00 pm
Excuse my ignorance, but what is Polish syrup? And how does one consume it with beer?

Canopus
So its like a red flavored Polish syrup that is put in. Ask for "sokiem". Its a good addition, but for me there is nothing better than Lech with a lemon in it.

Spirit Rider
Posts: 11192
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by Spirit Rider » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:19 pm

jb1 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:49 pm
Canopus wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:00 pm
Excuse my ignorance, but what is Polish syrup? And how does one consume it with beer?
So its like a red flavored Polish syrup that is put in.
You didn't answer the question. Assume we don't have a clue, I certainly don't. What is Polish Syrup/

jb1
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:33 am
Location: NC

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by jb1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:20 pm

Spirit Rider wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:19 pm
jb1 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:49 pm
Canopus wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:00 pm
Excuse my ignorance, but what is Polish syrup? And how does one consume it with beer?
So its like a red flavored Polish syrup that is put in.
You didn't answer the question. What is Polish Syrup/
So its like a red flavored Polish syrup that is put in. Ask for "sokiem". Its a good addition, but for me there is nothing better than Lech with a lemon in it.

I am not polish, if that doesnt help ya, google it.

Spirit Rider
Posts: 11192
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by Spirit Rider » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:24 pm

jb1 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:20 pm
Spirit Rider wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:19 pm
jb1 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:49 pm
Canopus wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:00 pm
Excuse my ignorance, but what is Polish syrup? And how does one consume it with beer?
So its like a red flavored Polish syrup that is put in.
You didn't answer the question. What is Polish Syrup/
So its like a red flavored Polish syrup that is put in. Ask for "sokiem". Its a good addition, but for me there is nothing better than Lech with a lemon in it.

I am not polish, if that doesnt help ya, google it.
Thank you for your immense help.

jb1
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:33 am
Location: NC

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by jb1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:26 pm

Spirit Rider wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:24 pm
jb1 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:20 pm
Spirit Rider wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:19 pm
jb1 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:49 pm
Canopus wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:00 pm
Excuse my ignorance, but what is Polish syrup? And how does one consume it with beer?
So its like a red flavored Polish syrup that is put in.
You didn't answer the question. What is Polish Syrup/
So its like a red flavored Polish syrup that is put in. Ask for "sokiem". Its a good addition, but for me there is nothing better than Lech with a lemon in it.

I am not polish, if that doesnt help ya, google it.
Thank you for your immense help.
prosze :sharebeer

SrGrumpy
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by SrGrumpy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:46 pm
Yes, always good to ask the shop what they recommend. You could also see if they have any Kvass, which is a low alcohol, semi-beer like drink also very popular in Poland, Ukraine, etc.
Kvass is amazing. One can make it at home quite easily. I got hooked on it in Moldova, of all places.

02nz
Posts: 2194
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by 02nz » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:20 pm

I'd check the dates on the bottles (if they print them). Polish beers in the U.S. have a small enough market that I'd wonder how fresh they are going to be.

Not to mention, is Poland really known for beers? I'd think the Germans and Czechs have them beat on this.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 5142
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by Kenkat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:22 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:11 pm
Kenkat wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:46 pm
Yes, always good to ask the shop what they recommend. You could also see if they have any Kvass, which is a low alcohol, semi-beer like drink also very popular in Poland, Ukraine, etc.
Kvass is amazing. One can make it at home quite easily. I got hooked on it in Moldova, of all places.
Yes! We’ve made a couple of batches ourselves at home.

Dottie57
Posts: 6704
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:31 pm

02nz wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:20 pm
I'd check the dates on the bottles (if they print them). Polish beers in the U.S. have a small enough market that I'd wonder how fresh they are going to be.

Not to mention, is Poland really known for beers? I'd think the Germans and Czechs have them beat on this.
Poland is next to Germany and was over run by both Germany and Russia in its past. So I assume Poland makes good and beer. Lots of cross pollination.

02nz
Posts: 2194
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by 02nz » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:31 pm
02nz wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:20 pm
I'd check the dates on the bottles (if they print them). Polish beers in the U.S. have a small enough market that I'd wonder how fresh they are going to be.

Not to mention, is Poland really known for beers? I'd think the Germans and Czechs have them beat on this.
Poland is next to Germany and was over run by both Germany and Russia in its past. So I assume Poland makes good and beer. Lots of cross pollination.
Well, just don't start any conversations with Poles by saying, Oh I'm sure the beer is good from that time the Germans came over for a stay. :wink:

rterickson
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by rterickson » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:57 pm

Any Polish pilsner should be pretty good, and reminiscent of Yuengling back in your grandfather's day.

WS1
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:45 pm

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by WS1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:40 pm

I just moved from a very Polish neighborhood. Please don’t drink their beers. There are many quality American lagers. Tröegs and Victory offerings are my present favorites.
Last edited by WS1 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Raymond
Posts: 1422
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:04 am
Location: Texas

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by Raymond » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:51 pm

From Google, it looks like "Polish syrup" is fruit syrup in different flavors (cherry, raspberry, black currant, etc.)
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

User avatar
Topic Author
Canopus
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:33 pm

Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by Canopus » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:26 pm

OP here.

As suggested on this thread, I chose Lech premium beer. Had it with Kiszka, aka Kishka (Polish blood sausage). Lech, with an orange slice in the stein (à la Blue Moon), was very refreshing. Lech was the finishing touch for an authentic Polish meal.

Canopus

MaryO
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:36 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by MaryO » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:33 pm

Zywiec is great.

greener
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:41 pm

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by greener » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:53 pm

Agree, Zywiec is a good.
If you like something sweeter, there is also Warka Radler Lemon.

User avatar
alpenglow
Posts: 834
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:02 pm

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by alpenglow » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:36 pm

02nz wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:20 pm
I'd check the dates on the bottles (if they print them). Polish beers in the U.S. have a small enough market that I'd wonder how fresh they are going to be.

Not to mention, is Poland really known for beers? I'd think the Germans and Czechs have them beat on this.
There is a large Polish population near where I live. The local BJ's Wholesale carries cases of Zywiec.

alter
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:27 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by alter » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:00 pm

Tyskie is my favorite.

ERISA Stone
Posts: 1596
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:54 am

Re: Recommendations for Polish Beer

Post by ERISA Stone » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:07 am

Came here to flex my knowledge of Polish beer and you all beat me to it :-).

IMO, nothing on the planet beats Lech. Tyskie is great also. Okocim would be my 3rd pick.

When I lived there, I only drank Zywiec if it were the only option. It would still beat any American option I consider.

Post Reply