Anyone been to a Kevin O'Leary event???

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BeachPerson

Anyone been to a Kevin O'Leary event???

Post by BeachPerson »

Kevin OLeary

I enjoy watching Kevin O'Leary in Shark Tank. Not sure what his investment event is all about. I believe it is a free meal. He has an event coming up close to me.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
topper1296

Re: Anyone been to a Kevin O'Leary event???

Post by topper1296 »

Check the fine print. I had a cousin that invited me to come with her for one of his events in Nashville and I decided not to go because Mr Wonderful himself was not there and it was only members of his staff.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Don't expect to see O'Leary. I signed up for an event when they came to my city a month or so ago. After they pestered contacted me 4 times to confirm my attendance, I Googled it and decided it would be a waste of time and didn't go.
shuresm7b1

Post by shuresm7b1 »

Kevin O'Leary lights up a room when he leaves it.
eor

Post by eor »

I went to an event about 2 weeks ago with my spouse who is a big Sharktank fan. Don't waste your time. The event lasted 3.5 hours. Mr. O'Leary did not come out until the last half hour, he was entertaining but the first 3 hours were brutal. First was someone trying to convince people to sign up for a real estate training seminar for $995 and then someone trying to convince people to sign up for an options trading seminar for several hundred dollars, I forget the exact amount. Mr. O'Leary is involved somehow with both businesses.
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

It seems he has his own line of O’shares ETF’s
https://oshares.com/
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Seriously? I would never go to one of his events, nor would I attend J. Cramer, R. Kiyosaki, nor D. Ramsey.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
chw

Post by chw »

eor wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:15 pm I went to an event about 2 weeks ago with my spouse who is a big Sharktank fan. Don't waste your time. The event lasted 3.5 hours. Mr. O'Leary did not come out until the last half hour, he was entertaining but the first 3 hours were brutal. First was someone trying to convince people to sign up for a real estate training seminar for $995 and then someone trying to convince people to sign up for an options trading seminar for several hundred dollars, I forget the exact amount. Mr. O'Leary is involved somehow with both businesses.
My guess is Mr. Wonderful was paid to lend his name to the event, which was really a pretense to get you to buy into one of the pitches which he doesn’t really have anything to do with (or little to do with). Seems like a complete,waste of time.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Never heard of him. So answer is no.
permport

Post by permport »

He came around to the Vancouver area a while back. Yes: complete and total waste of time.

Other firms are basically piggybacking off his celebrity status to sell investment programs and products.

What's even worse is that many of these programs (such as an options trading one that I saw) are the complete opposite of the conservative investing that he espouses in his books and interviews. Complete money grab and he's not even trying to keep his financial message consistent.

Like, seriously, even in his own ETF product line there are self contradictions. He says he only buys and recommends conservative stocks that pay dividends and no more than 20% exposure to any given sector. Then, next thing you know, he releases an "Internet giants" ETF that is all e-commerce and tech stocks.

Like... what?
Buy right and hold tight.
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

sounds like a marketing/sales scam.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (event).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

BeachPerson wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:34 pm Kevin OLeary

I enjoy watching Kevin O'Leary in Shark Tank. Not sure what his investment event is all about. I believe it is a free meal. He has an event coming up close to me.
I would like to attend. Thank you for the link.
jibantik

Post by jibantik »

yangtui wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:25 pm sounds like a marketing/sales scam.
and for that reason, I'm out. :mrgreen:
sabhen

Post by sabhen »

No reason to go unless I get paid to attend.
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

I got invites and fineprint said that there was no "guarantee" Kevin himself would actually be there
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Who? I had to look him up. No thanks, reality tv show guys are not my cup of tea.
squirm

Post by squirm »

sschullo wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:23 pm Seriously? I would never go to one of his events, nor would I attend J. Cramer, R. Kiyosaki, nor D. Ramsey.
I was wondering if it was a joke sort of question. It's like wanting to go see Cramer.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

I've watched some of his keynotes and appearances on TV. He doesn't offer much in the way of investment advice outside of “wealth preservation” via dividend paying stocks and some allocation in gold, this was before he launched his ETF. He's marketed O'shares ETF as a lazy version of his family foundation portfolio.

All of his wealth creation advice comes in the gospel of entrepreneurship and investing in small business owners.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

jibantik wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:33 pm
yangtui wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:25 pm sounds like a marketing/sales scam.
and for that reason, I'm out. :mrgreen:
Best post!
GCD

Post by GCD »

eor wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:15 pm I went to an event about 2 weeks ago with my spouse who is a big Sharktank fan. Don't waste your time. The event lasted 3.5 hours. Mr. O'Leary did not come out until the last half hour, he was entertaining but the first 3 hours were brutal. First was someone trying to convince people to sign up for a real estate training seminar for $995 and then someone trying to convince people to sign up for an options trading seminar for several hundred dollars, I forget the exact amount. Mr. O'Leary is involved somehow with both businesses.
I guess being a celebrity investor on SharkTank is too much of a gold mine to resist. Looks like Robert Herjavec has the same type of deal going. He runs all these click-bait ads where he and some guy will teach you how to get rich. I bet it's mostly the other guy doing the teaching.

https://startupinvestor.io/lm/a-brand-n ... Card24-814
davebo

Post by davebo »

He must take on almost anything, I saw a recent Amazon product where it's a video of him holding the product talking about how great it is. 30 seconds, who knows how much he made off it. Easy money for him.

I used to watch that show Flip This House, which aired from 2005-2009-ish. One of the teams that was showcased on there was CT Homes and the owner has a company where he sells real estate programs. From what I understand, the intro seminar is free and then they gradually just step you up into bigger investments.....I think I heard the top tier program is $50K!
SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway »

sschullo wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:23 pm Seriously? I would never go to one of his events, nor would I attend J. Cramer, R. Kiyosaki, nor D. Ramsey.
+1.
OP, without disclosing too much I worked very closely with KO long before he was famous. Stay away.

I've no experience with the others in the above quote from sshullo, but I see where ss is coming from, since I know enough of those other folks to know they're of the same "ilk". IOW, make no mistake: They're ALL about taking your money in order to enhance their own wealth. Period. Full stop.

OTOH, if you enjoy spending money to say you were among [fill-in-the-blank confin celebrity name] and are looking for a selfie/Instagram moment to show others you were there, by all means "invest" the money in a ticket. Consider it the price to pay to indulge that need. Not judging!

Best wishes!
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.