Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
catdude

Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by catdude »

So lately Ben & Jerry's ice cream has been on sale at the local grocery store... I've bought the stuff several times. I love it. The thing is, at the regular price (around $5.50 for a 16-oz tub) it's outrageously expensive. I imagine that, ounce for ounce, it's 3 or 4 times as expensive at other brands of ice cream. But when it's on sale (say $3.50 for 16 ounces) I think it's worth spending the money. What do y'all think?

My favorite varieties of B&J's are strawberry cheesecake, and peanut butter cup. Yummy. YMMV... If you have a favorite, please let us know!
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.
Jags4186

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Jags4186 »

https://www.talentigelato.com/

You’ll never go back.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

catdude wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:44 pm So lately Ben & Jerry's ice cream has been on sale at the local grocery store... I've bought the stuff several times. I love it. The thing is, at the regular price (around $5.50 for a 16-oz tub) it's outrageously expensive. I imagine that, ounce for ounce, it's 3 or 4 times as expensive at other brands of ice cream. But when it's on sale (say $3.50 for 16 ounces) I think it's worth spending the money. What do y'all think?

My favorite varieties of B&J's are strawberry cheesecake, and peanut butter cup. Yummy. YMMV... If you have a favorite, please let us know!
It is too expensive. I never buy it. There are better and cheaper options.
dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 »

I rarely buy ice cream, so when I do I'm willing to pay more for quality. Chunky Monkey a few times a year is worth the slightly extra cost.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Nope, not even close.
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

Life is short, enjoy your ice cream, enjoy your life!
Elena

Post by Elena »

Häagen Dazs shrunk their "medium" (pint) container size to 14 fl. oz. last year. Disguised inflation, plus the non-sale price increased as well. Bye, bye, non-essential item!
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Worth every penny!
ben & jerry's pistachio pistachio!
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

catdude wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:44 pm So lately Ben & Jerry's ice cream has been on sale at the local grocery store... I've bought the stuff several times. I love it. The thing is, at the regular price (around $5.50 for a 16-oz tub) it's outrageously expensive. I imagine that, ounce for ounce, it's 3 or 4 times as expensive at other brands of ice cream. But when it's on sale (say $3.50 for 16 ounces) I think it's worth spending the money. What do y'all think?

Personally I would rather a pint of B&J for 3 bucks (often on sale where I am at for 3/9) than a half gallon of the nonPremium stuff that also tends to be around 3 bucks (2 for 5 is also pretty common). Quality over volume. You can use the same logic if you prefer some other brand of premium ice cream.
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

dustinst22 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:51 pm I rarely buy ice cream, so when I do I'm willing to pay more for quality. Chunky Monkey a few times a year is worth the slightly extra cost.
My favorite flavor too!
chevca

Post by chevca »

catdude wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:44 pm I think it's worth spending the money. What do y'all think?

If you have a favorite, please let us know!
Absolutely worth it, yes!

Cherry Garcia for me. But, there are plenty of other near favorites they make also.
bac

Post by bac »

I'll occasionally buy Ben & Jerry's when it's on sale for $2.88 at ShopRite. I keep a pint in the back of my freezer for emergencies (i.e., guests or a really bad day).
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

It's okay---and worth it----when it is on sale, but not at full price. There are just too many excellent, top-quality, homemade ice cream brands available out in the marketplace today----and many of them are significantly better than what B & J markets. Remember too, Ben & Jerry's is no longer some funky, albeit specialized, ice cream company----rather, it is just another multi-million revenues subsidiary of Unilever.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Tillamook is my new grocery store favorite.

Talenti is pretty good as well, but doesn’t seem to have the richness of flavor.

Ben and Jerry’s is about average, to me. Their pint slices are convenient though.

Haagen Dazs is hit or miss. Unless it is under $3, I don’t bother.

At HEB, I hear good things about Swoon, but haven’t tried it yet.

If in the area though, have the ice cream from South Dakota State University. Best ice cream I’ve ever had. Their cheeses are top notch too.

Kansas State University’s ice cream is probably second in my book. Higher fat content than other offerings. Portions are generous at the campus store.

Nebraska’s is hit or miss. Their German Chocolate is superb. Other flavors, not so much. Perhaps it is best to stick with their cheese offerings.

I’ll try Utah State’s and maybe BYU’s ice cream later this year. I’ve read some good reports about Utah State’s, but SDSU is a high bar to beat.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

Elena wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:16 pm Bye, bye, non-essential item!
Ice cream is a non-essential? When'd that happen?
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
anhonymous

Post by anhonymous »

I buy local ice cream these days. Pricy but flavorful. If I pick up something from
the store though B&J would be my preference. Pricy and sinful indulgence
MJS

Post by MJS »

Note that ice cream is sold by volume-ounces, not weight-ounces. Read the labels to compare grams (mass) per half-cup serving (= 4 volume-ounces) -- see how much ice cream ingredients you're buying (rather than air) with a premium frozen dessert product vs inexpensive. Sometimes there's a significant difference. And sometimes there's not.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

Sconie wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:03 pmRemember too, Ben & Jerry's is no longer some funky, albeit specialized, ice cream company----rather, it is just another multi-million revenues subsidiary of Unilever.
This is quite disillusioning... 8-)
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Jags4186 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:45 pm https://www.talentigelato.com/

You’ll never go back.
I like both. But they are very different. B&J. Have great combos. Talenti is smooth with deep flavor.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

RadAudit wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:20 pm
Elena wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:16 pm Bye, bye, non-essential item!
Ice cream is a non-essential? When'd that happen?
Alternate universe.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

$5 is such a minuscule amount relative to my income or worth. It’s not worth thinking twice. Sure there may be better ice cream brands or better values, but if you enjoy Ben and jerry it’s not worth over thinking, just buy it. Anytime I see phish food I throw it in the shopping cart. Life is too short to agonize over $5
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Ice cream is an occasional treat, I wouldn't worry about a few cents one way or another if it's what I wanted.
I don't find Ben & Jerry's to be anything special in taste, it is a brand that has a "story" that some people appreciate. I prefer the Rite-Aid and personal memories of the old "Thrifty's" ice cream.
Ben & Jerry's has some interesting flavor mixes, but I like to make my own, which is usually just to mix in a scoop of peanut butter with ...whatever brand... ice cream.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

There is nothing that holds a candle to Phish Food. Worth it at twice the price.
kirkus02

Post by kirkus02 »

An occasional splurge. Love me some milk & cookies flavor.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

bac wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:02 pm I'll occasionally buy Ben & Jerry's when it's on sale for $2.88 at ShopRite. I keep a pint in the back of my freezer for emergencies (i.e., guests or a really bad day).
I will buy HaganDaaz at same price instead.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

B&J's is too sweet for me. Not worth it.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

You’ll never go back.
I enjoy almost any frozen dairy treat, but that stuff is probably the most delicious grocery-store-bought I've ever had. :sharebeer
The Sensible Steward
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

I prefer regular flavors, not the weird mixtures Ben & Jerry's sells, so I only buy their cherry garcia and that only if there's no Haagen Dazs in chocolate, coffee, strawberry.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Graeter's, ,Cincinnati ice cream, is my go to treat. We are Bogleheads so we can enjoy the finer things not to prohibit them.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

B&J Half Baked, for the win.

Every few months it's 2 for $5, so I buy a pint for me, and either Cookies & Cream or Caramel Sutra for DH...
Mickey7

Post by Mickey7 »

When you are ready for it the price is inconsequential. Just buckle up your big boy pants and go for it!

Of course later on you might have to unbuckle them. :D
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

I picked up a tub of B&J's Milk & Cookies this morning at the grocery store, based upon a recommendation upthread. It's great! :)
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

bengal22 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:46 pm Graeter's, ,Cincinnati ice cream, is my go to treat. We are Bogleheads so we can enjoy the finer things not to prohibit them.
+1 to the max! Just don’t look at the fat content. Don’t. Do. It.

+ UDF Homemade Brand Chocolate Chip for mass consumption.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

McConnell's, Ben and Jerry's, Graeters, Haagen Dazs or Talenti are my favorites. I don't eat it more than once a week and only in the summer.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
ellsbebc

Post by ellsbebc »

Kenkat wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:32 pm
bengal22 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:46 pm Graeter's, ,Cincinnati ice cream, is my go to treat. We are Bogleheads so we can enjoy the finer things not to prohibit them.

The Cincinnati BH’ers ar in full force! I am generally not a dessert guy but I will go out of my way to eat Graeter’s black raspberry chocolate chip ice cream. Even if that means paying $6-7/pint at Whole Foods since I no longer live in the Midwest.
Last edited by ellsbebc on Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Yes UDF is the cat's meow.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

ellsbebc wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:51 pm

The Cincinnati BH’ers ar in full force! I am generally not a dessert guy but I will go out of my way to eat Graeter’s black raspberry chocolate chip ice cream. Even if that means paying $6-7/pint at Whole Foods since I no longer live in the Midwest.
Graeter's is sold in 49 states. Plus they will pack it, add dry ice, and ship it to you.
ellsbebc

Post by ellsbebc »

bengal22 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:53 pm
ellsbebc wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:51 pm

Graeter's is sold in 49 states. Plus they will pack it, add dry ice, and ship it to you.
I recently ordered some on dry ice to be shipped to a friend in North Carolina for her birthday. In my neck of the woods in west Tennessee, it is available at both Whole Foods and Fresh Market.
utvolfan

Post by utvolfan »

Dottie57 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:39 pm

You’ll never go back.
I like both. But they are very different. B&J. Have great combos. Talenti is smooth with deep flavor.

If you are a chocolate lover, the Double Dark Chocolate is heaven! When Food Lion had it on sale 3 for $10, I overindulged!!
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Clemson University makes amazing ice cream, and blue cheese. If you're in SC, or near Clemson (eg Atlanta), it's worth it. :D

https://www.clemson.edu/cafls/departments/icecream/
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

bengal22 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:52 pmYes UDF is the cat's meow.
I guess I am obliged to get some. :mrgreen:
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

You don't want to know what I spend on ice cream! One of our favorites is Jeni's. At $9 to $10 a pint, it is pricey, but it is delicious. Unique flavors, creamy, premium ice cream. Why not indulge?
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

tigermilk wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:46 pm You don't want to know what I spend on ice cream! One of our favorites is Jeni's. At $9 to $10 a pint, it is pricey, but it is delicious. Unique flavors, creamy, premium ice cream. Why not indulge?
Ugh!

We’ve been in Nashville since Thursday for a graduation at Belmont. Lots of great food and good times but ... no Jeni’s this trip. What a wasted opportunity.

Cheers
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

utvolfan wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:54 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:39 pm

You’ll never go back.

If you are a chocolate lover, the Double Dark Chocolate is heaven! When Food Lion had it on sale 3 for $10, I overindulged!!
I do like chocolate but the Double Dark Chocolate is too rich for me. Which is very surprising.
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

chevca wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:43 pm Absolutely worth it, yes!

Cherry Garcia for me. But, there are plenty of other near favorites they make also.
Cherry Garcia for me, too,
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat »

The private label ice cream from HEB is outstanding. Best flavor I've ever tasted is their Lemon Cookie. It is an amazing ice cream and highly recommend. I hope to have dreams about it tonight.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

bac wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:02 pm I'll occasionally buy Ben & Jerry's when it's on sale for $2.88 at ShopRite. I keep a pint in the back of my freezer for emergencies (i.e., guests or a really bad day).
My guests and my bad days appreciate whiskey.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

If they still made Wavy Gravy, I’d definitely buy it on sale. But they don’t. :(
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

Ben and Jerry's used to be great - now it is garbage. Really shocked at how bad it went down hill -found it it was bought. A real bummer - Cherry Garcia used to be my favorite.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I could never eat B&J. It's just bad. Overloaded with sugar.
On the other hand I buy Haagen Dasz and couple of local ice creams on sale (three twins lemon cookie, humphry slocombe) . I don't really care about price, I would rather eat good ice cream for 10$ than bad ice cream for free. But the on sale rules keeps me from eating too many calories.