What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dm200

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by dm200 »

We have two, older cars. "My" car is out of action for a week or so. My wife gave me a ride to work.
tommy85

Post by tommy85 »

Fixed leaking kitchen faucet myself and probably saved couple hundred dollars. Shopped around for home/auto/umbrella insurance and saved about 1500/year combined.
Mr. Market is Bipolar.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I participated in ComEd's Peak Time Savings program. They email you a few hours in advance and give you a time frame. Yesterday it was 1pm-6pm. If you use less electricity than normal, they give you a credit. I got a $10 bill credit. I was home and the temp only got up to 78 in the house with the air off that whole time. It was kind of humid though and I don't know if it was worth it. Sometimes I shake my head at myself after going out of my way to save a few bucks.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

High tailed it to my car to try and exit the parking garage before the 60 minute mark. There was a line at the exit. Paid 6 extra bucks for 7 minutes. :annoyed
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I didn’t go clothes shopping. I really need a new pair of jeans, but didn’t. I do need them... maybe next week.
olliema

Post by olliema »

not all in one day, but a few key ones over past few months:

1. bought 3x jars of peanut butter at WF to get an amazon 'prime day' credit which I used to buy a replenishment item, saving $10
2. found a public link to discounted aquarium tickets and went off hours, saving $36
3. overheard wife say she was going to buy a book on amazon, took her to library and got it for free, same day, saving $10
4. used the leafy greens from beets as a sautee instead of tossing them, saving $1
5. converted an old B&N gift card I would never use at Target to buy tax software and deodorant, saving $32
6. caught a recurring annual renewal fee a fax service I never use, saving $84
7. caught a recurring amazon subscription item's price going up 130%, cancelled the subscription and bought the item elsewhere, saving $90
8. escalated various Amazon shipping errors (wrong address, late, etc.) and Target pricing issues, earning $50+ credit
9. bringing a thermos of coffee to work and making afternoon coffee at work with an aeropress, saving $60/month
10. turning off gas service for summertime, saving about $70
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

The same thing I do every work day... bring my own lunch! I have been doing this for years, not sure how much money I have saved. When used to live in a HCOL city and first started working I used to eat out for lunch all the time... I don't even want to think about how much money I wasted, often times it was expense and did not even taste good... NOT WORTH IT :oops:
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

Chat with Amazon customers support rep, to save $4.50 on recently purchased under-sink garbage-disposal motor, which went on sale for that much lowered price on Amazon itself (price-match). Also, by buying slightly more powerful motor of the same brand/model with good reviews, my efforts required were minimal without needing any extra parts or any modifications.

Couple of weeks ago (sorry not today) replaced our broken built-in microwave - similarly minimal effort, no-extra parts ., due to replacing it with same model! Luckily that brand/model still being made/sold (after 8-9 years since original one installed). All under $200
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I managed to get the Macy's blankets I wanted at 80% off today. Macy's runs a flash sale once or twice a year on these blankets, which usually retail for $100-$200 per blanket depending on the size. The problem is that their flash sale is really short, usually no more than a day or two and I've missed it the last couple of times.

I finally caught it today, but the cart checkout was stuck, and I ended up having to call Macy's a few hours later (when the promotion had already expired) to honor the price. It took an hour of my time, but $20 for good quality high-end blankets is pretty sweet. I bought enough for a decade as I've been waiting for this price for an entire year.
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

Got $10 gift card at amazon because shipment was late.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Only printed 1 mistaken page at work today.

E-Button on copier/printer screen (all on one button):
2-Sided Scan
1-Sided Scan

It turns out that "2-Sided Scan" is the name of the button, while "1-Sided Scan" is the option selected by default, so I missed the back page when I scanned the page. Had to re-do.

Still better than printing from Microsoft Office, where if you select 2 copies of a 1 page document, it prints one copy on each side of one piece of paper. :oops:
hmw

Post by hmw »

My brake light and vehicle dynamic control warning lights came on at the same time on my Subaru Outback. Instead of taking the car to the dealer, I did some googling. Found that it was probably caused by burnt out rear brake light bulbs. Yup, they were out. Bought new light bulbs for $8 at Autozone and replaced the bulbs myself. Pretty easy. No more warning lights. Probably saved myself $100 to $200 and several hours of my time taking my car to the Subaru dealership.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Philadelphia Museum of Art - pay what you want on Wednesday evenings, which can be awkward, so I got my wife to deal with the cashier while I looked away. We ended up paying $1 each, which is what the lady in front of us paid. It's normally $20 each.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Am not actually able to do this now, but, if able, I would donate blood and get two FREE tickets to see the Washington Nationals.

If you are, or can be, a blood donor - in addition to the real, often life saving, benefits to recipient(s) - watch for such benefits - from a T-Shirt to a gift card or sports tickets. Even suggest a group to get together - give blood - and enjoy the baseball, basketball, hockey or football game.
pkay

Post by pkay »

Biked to work this week but also ate out twice for lunch. will do better next week.
audioaxes

Post by audioaxes »

Was in the mood for a milk tea on a hot day and just happened to be right across the street from a well reviewed bubble tea shop as I was dropping off daughter. Went inside, looked at menu and saw their "regular" size was $5.50 for their milk teas which is very expensive in my book. Stayed in line for a minute or so as I mulled it over but ultimately walked out.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

If I were under 12, I could eat free fruit (oranges, bananas, etc.) in the local grocery store. Maybe they could do it for "seniors"??
KBREAMK

Post by KBREAMK »

Made a big Sunday dinner for my family of 9 instead of eating out like we often do on Sunday night. We had all the meat for burgers so all I needed to buy was buns and some fruit & heavy whipping cream for the dessert. Saved around $100 since eating out with my crew almost always costs at least $100!
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

KBREAMK wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:17 am Made a big Sunday dinner for my family of 9 instead of eating out like we often do on Sunday night. We had all the meat for burgers so all I needed to buy was buns and some fruit & heavy whipping cream for the dessert. Saved around $100 since eating out with my crew almost always costs at least $100!
9 people eat out for $100? Before tax and tip here that would be $75 or $8 a person. Wow.
swordandscales

Post by swordandscales »

I love good craft beer, but we’re working on paying down credit card debt.

I’ve decided to develop a habit where, when I’m tempted to buy an incidental I know I could “afford” without much thought, I instead put the cash toward the credit card.

It adds up, and I still feel like I’m treating myself sporadically.

TL;DR $14 toward my CC debt vs. on a six-pack of 3 Floyd’s.
Discipline is freedom. | -Jocko Willink
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

dm200 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:17 pm
littlebird wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:40 pm Am getting my spouse’s cremated remains back today. After sending his body to the crematorium, I was solicited to donate it for research. I am extremely interested in the effort to find a cure for Alzheimer’s, and although he did not have Alzheimer’s, he did have a neurological disorder. So, I was willing to agree. Only after I agreed, did they reveal to me that in return they would pay all his direct cremation expenses, even including all necessary death certificates and mailing expenses, amounting to about $900. I gave them the right to keep his body for up to two years, but just about five weeks after death, they have had it cremated and are returning it.

Having spent exactly nothing on his death, I am now in the process of spending some of the saving on having the ashes scattered at a remote site of personal and historical significance to us, an extravagance, but a very meaningful one, that I probably never would have considered absent the frugal thing I did unknowingly.
I am considering that myself.
I have signed up for my body to go to the local medical school. Locally, one must pre-apply. One's SO must pay for the transport, but the cremation after they're done is at their expense. It's all arranged.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

JediMisty wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:11 pm
dm200 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:17 pm
littlebird wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:40 pm Am getting my spouse’s cremated remains back today. After sending his body to the crematorium, I was solicited to donate it for research. I am extremely interested in the effort to find a cure for Alzheimer’s, and although he did not have Alzheimer’s, he did have a neurological disorder. So, I was willing to agree. Only after I agreed, did they reveal to me that in return they would pay all his direct cremation expenses, even including all necessary death certificates and mailing expenses, amounting to about $900. I gave them the right to keep his body for up to two years, but just about five weeks after death, they have had it cremated and are returning it.
Having spent exactly nothing on his death, I am now in the process of spending some of the saving on having the ashes scattered at a remote site of personal and historical significance to us, an extravagance, but a very meaningful one, that I probably never would have considered absent the frugal thing I did unknowingly.
I am considering that myself.
I have signed up for my body to go to the local medical school. Locally, one must pre-apply. One's SO must pay for the transport, but the cremation after they're done is at their expense. It's all arranged.
I am seriously considering the same thing. You must have a "backup" plan (such as cremation) because:
1. The medical school is not taking donated bodies at the time of your death
2. You die while traveling a distance away
3. The condition of your body and/or cause of death precludes the donation

I will check again, but I think the medical school's donation program I investigated does pay for the transportation of the body.

I know someone who was the next-of-kin for her elderly aunt - whose body was donated to a local medical school. it took about two years, or so, for the cremated remains of her aunt to be returned for disposition. The local medical school I am evaluating will either return the cremated remains to the family or "bury" such remains in a local cemetery. I also plan to have my cremated remains or body (if that happens) buried in a National Cemetery (I am a veteran) - as well as my wife. if we are both cremated (she is not convinced - yet), we can have our cremated remains place in the Columbarium of Arlington National Cemetery.
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

dm200 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:20 pm
JediMisty wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:11 pm
dm200 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:17 pm [quote=littlebird post_id=4459731 time=1553712014 user

I am seriously considering the same thing. You must have a "backup" plan (such as cremation) because:
1. The medical school is not taking donated bodies at the time of your death
2. You die while traveling a distance away
3. The condition of your body and/or cause of death precludes the donation

I will check again, but I think the medical school's donation program I investigated does pay for the transportation of the body.

I know someone who was the next-of-kin for her elderly aunt - whose body was donated to a local medical school. it took about two years, or so, for the cremated remains of her aunt to be returned for disposition. The local medical school I am evaluating will either return the cremated remains to the family or "bury" such remains in a local cemetery. I also plan to have my cremated remains or body (if that happens) buried in a National Cemetery (I am a veteran) - as well as my wife. if we are both cremated (she is not convinced - yet), we can have our cremated remains place in the Columbarium of Arlington National Cemetery.
Exactly. My son is my next of kin. He has my back-up instructions: cremation. Whatever is cheapest to dispose of my ashes....
KBREAMK

Post by KBREAMK »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:12 am
KBREAMK wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:17 am Made a big Sunday dinner for my family of 9 instead of eating out like we often do on Sunday night. We had all the meat for burgers so all I needed to buy was buns and some fruit & heavy whipping cream for the dessert. Saved around $100 since eating out with my crew almost always costs at least $100!
9 people eat out for $100? Before tax and tip here that would be $75 or $8 a person. Wow.
Not sure where you live... but (1) Chic-fil-A Deluxe meal with a drink costs me $6.99. And as much as we love Chic-fil-A that's not where we normally go for Sunday dinner. Especially since Chic-fil-A is closed on Sunday. :happy
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Yesterday, I got a Chipotle Veggie bowl - and when you get the Veggie Bowl - you get Guacamole at no added charge.
audioaxes

Post by audioaxes »

I raided different break rooms and conference rooms for leftover donuts today instead of paying $3.50 for a muffin in the lobby. Didnt find any donut meetings so decided to skip breakfast instead.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

audioaxes wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:36 pm I raided different break rooms and conference rooms for leftover donuts today instead of paying $3.50 for a muffin in the lobby. Didnt find any donut meetings so decided to skip breakfast instead.
Yes - at my office, they often have events with refreshments of various types.

The HR person will send an email to all employees when there is left over food. I get there quickly :)
GoneOnTilt

Post by GoneOnTilt »

audioaxes wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:36 pm I raided different break rooms and conference rooms for leftover donuts today instead of paying $3.50 for a muffin in the lobby. Didnt find any donut meetings so decided to skip breakfast instead.
+1. I raid the breakrooms the day after the meetings, for the wide variety of day-old donuts and other treats. Saves me several dollars a week.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

dm200 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:47 am If I were under 12, I could eat free fruit (oranges, bananas, etc.) in the local grocery store. Maybe they could do it for "seniors"??
I've noticed that our local HyVee store is now serving free fruit to children. It would be nice if older folks could have some, too.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:17 pm
dm200 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:47 am If I were under 12, I could eat free fruit (oranges, bananas, etc.) in the local grocery store. Maybe they could do it for "seniors"??
I've noticed that our local HyVee store is now serving free fruit to children. It would be nice if older folks could have some, too.
Yes -
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Ordered a refill of several prescriptions online - to be mailed to me. Under my health plan, such refills cost slightly less - AND no need to go in person to the Pharmacy.

We have several friends in the same plan who, for some reason, never do this and always go in person.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

JediMisty wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:11 pm I have signed up for my body to go to the local medical school.
Hopefully not this one ...

Man who donated his mother's body to an Arizona center for Alzheimer's research discovers it was sold on to the US Military for $6,000, strapped to a chair and blown up in 'blast test' (Daily Mail)
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

SrGrumpy wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:41 pm
JediMisty wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:11 pm I have signed up for my body to go to the local medical school.

Man who donated his mother's body to an Arizona center for Alzheimer's research discovers it was sold on to the US Military for $6,000, strapped to a chair and blown up in 'blast test' (Daily Mail)
Believe our bodies can also be donated for forensic research.
Search: http://www.google.com/search?q=forensic ... l+donation

I might be nice to be again part of the food chain.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

Purchased my own cable modem for $60. Cable was charging me $10/month rental fee. I had no idea I could even do this till a friend turned me on to it. Even better would have been to cancel altogether but wife won't give it up.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

This is exactly how I want my funeral to go. :shock:

Seriously, though, in all likelihood, the body was probably not usable for whatever reason or simply more valuable on the "open market.". Not sure how I feel about that.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

dratkinson wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:26 am I might be nice to be again part of the food chain.
I have thought it would be nice to die in a forest, and provide food for wild animals. As long as no one goes after the animals for doing that.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

FI4LIFE wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:53 am

This is exactly how I want my funeral to go. :shock:

Seriously, though, in all likelihood, the body was probably not usable for whatever reason or simply more valuable on the "open market.". Not sure how I feel about that.
I've seen at least one news report about bodies donated for research being sold for use as cosmetic filling.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

fru-gal wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:07 am
dratkinson wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:26 am I might be nice to be again part of the food chain.
I have thought it would be nice to die in a forest, and provide food for wild animals. As long as no one goes after the animals for doing that.
I don't know if there is any demand for such bodies to be donated, but there are organizations that run "body farms" for research on the decomposition of bodies - some in the open, some partly buries, some in car trunks, and so on.
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

Lol. I'll be dead. Won't bother me. Might gross out my son. :oops:
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

fru-gal wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:07 am
Or a mountain top.

Tibetan sky burial: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

Singed up for two more libraries here in CA. Now I have soo much to read, listen to and watch that I guess I never ever need to pay for content anymore :)
josehde

Post by josehde »

Packing my own lunch and making my own coffee. Can't believe there was a time when I always went to Starbucks for my daily caffeine fix.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

We took a long weekend (left Friday, returned Monday) trip of about 400 miles each way - visiting relatives in my hometown.

On the way back, only stopped once for a modest priced lunch at a place about halfway that we knew from previous trips. Did not even need to stop for gasoline. By just stopping once, saved on one additional restaurant meal.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

O.K. I think this may be a first on this list: I prepared an (Arizona) “Small Estate Affidavit” for myself, leaving out the date of death of course, for any non-Trust, non-P.O.D assets I may own at my death that my daughter/executor can’t obtain otherwise. For assets totaling under $75,000, this affidavit just needs to be presented to the custodian of the assets, with no court involvement. It may not be necessary, but if it is, I saved my estate a lawyer’s fee, and my daughter some stress. For autos, there’s a separate simple procedure to pass a deceased’s title.
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

Canceled my Squarespace hosted website and discovered that I can build one myself with Adobe Portfolio which is included in my CC subscription. Now I sleep better knowing my CC subscription is worth it. - saving $96/year

Canceled my BOA business account - saving $192/year

Canceled my Youtube Prime subscription - saving $120/year

Makes $408 in more money towards my savings :happy
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Ordered something from Amazon - no delivery charge for "regular" delivery. Came in 2-3 days
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

This actually happened last Saturday, not today. But nevertheless...

My old Jansport backpack's lining went to pieces after a hike last Friday. Found a nice Targus backpack with better features at Burlington. At the checkout, was told that I was one of the lucky participants of Maryland's "tax-free week". Saved a couple of $s.
audioaxes

Post by audioaxes »

Wife proclaimed she would stop by the car wash on her way to work because she refused to drive another second with her car looking so dirty. She refused to allow me to wash it over the weekend instead. So I got up early to wash her car just before she left for work.
sksbog

Post by sksbog »

Switched to AT&T prepaid , $25 a month 8 GB plan :D
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I went to Costco yesterday and discovered the Dyson Vacuum clean I bought last month for $339 was on sale for $279. I went home and got my receipt and returned and got a credit for $64 based on their lowest price guarantee. Costco is so easy to deal with in matters like this.