Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Mullins

Re: Celebrating a milestone today: my first day with $100,000 in retirement accounts

Post by Mullins »

toto238 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:52 am I don't think you're advocating that any increase in risk weakens a plan.
Correct. I wasn't. If you read my comment again you'll note I was stating that in my view, using leveraged ETFs in the investment plan you put forth, is something I believe increases the risk factor to where I'd not do that.
"The Quality of the Answer Depends on the Quality of Your Question."
Bacchus01

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Bacchus01 »

I missed it, but I reached a milestone in the last week some time.

I eclipsed $1M in my 401K account. At age 45. Just the 401K account. That excludes my wife's accounts and all other investments. JUST my 401K.

I honestly didn't think that would ever happen when I was in my 20s.

Woohooo.

AND, sometime in the last week we hit $1M in our after-tax investments!

On top of that, we have real estate, cash, HSAs, ROTHs, 529s.....

But our two main investment vehicles just hit $1M each in the last week.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Bacchus01 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:58 am I missed it, but I reached a milestone in the last week some time.

I eclipsed $1M in my 401K account. At age 45. Just the 401K account. That excludes my wife's accounts and all other investments. JUST my 401K.

I honestly didn't think that would ever happen when I was in my 20s.

Woohooo.

AND, sometime in the last week we hit $1M in our after-tax investments!

On top of that, we have real estate, cash, HSAs, ROTHs, 529s.....

But our two main investment vehicles just hit $1M each in the last week.
Two congratulations for you :D :D
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

It’s a very humble start with almost 37 but today my net reached my first 10k milestone (no debt at all) since I started my life in the US.

Also, I bought my first VTSAX today in my IRA. It’s a good feeling :)
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

mindgap wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:07 pm It’s a very humble start with almost 37 but today my net reached my first 10k milestone (no debt at all) since I started my life in the US.

Congratulations. You will always feel that you should of started earlier in life, but you cannot change that. What you can do is be consistent for the next 25-30 years. Take advantage whenever there is a major market pullback (20% or more) and try to put more money in at that time. There is more value (long term/compounding interest) in the money you save today then in 20 years.
Cut and paste this post and put it in your scheduler to pop up 25 years from today...it will put a smile on your face when you look back.
Tortoise Banker

Post by Tortoise Banker »

Just passed 500k in investments on the 4th of July! BOOM! We have a paid off house (415k), and a net worth just shy of 900k... Should be FI by 2025 (family of 4, wife stay at home Mom)...

Stay the course--best to all!
The winning strategy is simple, but not easy...
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

Mr.BB wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:58 pm
mindgap wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:07 pm It’s a very humble start with almost 37 but today my net reached my first 10k milestone (no debt at all) since I started my life in the US.

Congratulations. You will always feel that you should of started earlier in life, but you cannot change that. What you can do is be consistent for the next 25-30 years. Take advantage whenever there is a major market pullback (20% or more) and try to put more money in at that time. There is more value (long term/compounding interest) in the money you save today then in 20 years.
Cut and paste this post and put it in your scheduler to pop up 25 years from today...it will put a smile on your face when you look back.
Thank you. Appreciate it. I guess it’s never to late to start. I will definitely make a note for in twenty years. That’s an awesome idea and for sure will be lots of fun :)
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

Don't forget to do a follow-up post in 20 years.
It will interesting to see how far you've come and what you've learned.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

If we had started investing around OP's age, we would be richer by a couple millions or more.
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

Mr.BB wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:04 pm Don't forget to do a follow-up post in 20 years.
It will interesting to see how far you've come and what you've learned.
Sun, 07/10/2039 it is. I hope I still use my Apple calendar until then.
Ophiuchus

Post by Ophiuchus »

I had a positive net worth until I bought a house. I was pretty excited about that
toto238

Post by toto238 »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:39 pm I had a positive net worth until I bought a house. I was pretty excited about that
Unless your house depreciated in value very quickly or you paid a LOT of expenses out of pocket to buy this house, your net worth should still positive.

The house is an asset, the mortgage is a liability.
Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie »

I'm 40 and my retirement accounts just hit $500,000 (I know this pales in significance compared to several posts here :-) ) Wanted to share my small milestone with this community which has been invaluable in my journey .... Thank you for all the wisdom you guys provide :sharebeer
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

Investing.Newbie wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:37 am I'm 40 and my retirement accounts just hit $500,000 (I know this pales in significance compared to several posts here :-) ) Wanted to share my small milestone with this community which has been invaluable in my journey .... Thank you for all the wisdom you guys provide :sharebeer
Congratulations on this achievement! I think that’s an awesome goal you reached!!!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Investing.Newbie wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:37 am I'm 40 and my retirement accounts just hit $500,000 (I know this pales in significance compared to several posts here :-) ) Wanted to share my small milestone with this community which has been invaluable in my journey .... Thank you for all the wisdom you guys provide :sharebeer
Congratulations :D .

That is no small achievement. You are far ahead of where we were at age 40. You are far ahead of your peers.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
triggerfish10

Post by triggerfish10 »

I'm 40 and my retirement accounts just hit $500,000 (I know this pales in significance compared to several posts here :-) ) Wanted to share my small milestone with this community which has been invaluable in my journey .... Thank you for all the wisdom you guys provide :sharebeer
Don't discount your "small" milestone - it is way more than a lot of folks your age have saved for retirement. Keep up the good work!
"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest" - Albert Einstein
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Broke 1.6 million first time a few days ago. :)
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Hit $2-million mark last month and I'm not counting my paid-off home and cars. I just can't believe we're multi-millionaire even though we were dead broke in 1984.

TravelforFun
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

TravelforFun wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:00 pm Hit $2-million mark last month and I'm not counting my paid-off home and cars. I just can't believe we're multi-millionaire even though we were dead broke in 1984.

TravelforFun
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:02 am

That is no small achievement. You are far ahead of where we were at age 40. You are far ahead of your peers.
+1

Congratulations! Not a small milestone at all. I agree, compared to your peers, you're way ahead. Feel proud.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
stonerolled

Post by stonerolled »

Great and thanks for sharing that. I can't tell anyone my milestones now, spenders don't need or want or should hear such things.
I owe this forum so much in staying the course.
Robert_007

Post by Robert_007 »

Just maxed out my 403b contributions!
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

Robert_007 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:03 pm Just maxed out my 403b contributions!
Congrats. I can’t do any 403b contributions but that’s a good milestone to reach!

My next goal is to max out my Roth IRA contributions. Right now at 45% and should be done in around 2- 3 months.
Investing.Newbie

Robert_007 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:03 pm Just maxed out my 403b contributions!
Congrats ! :moneybag :moneybag
Agni

Post by Agni »

Dear Bogleheads,
DW and I crossed the 1M mark in our 401ks! Thanks to you all for the excellent advice and guidance. I'm sure we'll zig zag around that milestone a few times :) I'm averse to debt, so have been paying mortgage aggressively but without compromising 401k and backdoor Roth contributions (ever since I learned about them). Also, at this time I have 2x yearly expenses, mainly in iBonds. I have around 64k mortgage left on a 525K house. However, what this means is that other than the iBonds, and Roth (~70K) I don't have much (only 10K at this time) in my taxable. Would that worry you? I'm 45, DW 43, one child 10 yrs (90k in 529 separate and not counted with other assets).
I also have the ability to do mega backdoor Roth... but lack of taxable bothers me sometimes. Thoughts?
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Agni wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:31 am Dear Bogleheads,
DW and I crossed the 1M mark in our 401ks! Thanks to you all for the excellent advice and guidance. I'm sure we'll zig zag around that milestone a few times :) I'm averse to debt, so have been paying mortgage aggressively but without compromising 401k and backdoor Roth contributions (ever since I learned about them). Also, at this time I have 2x yearly expenses, mainly in iBonds. I have around 64k mortgage left on a 525K house. However, what this means is that other than the iBonds, and Roth (~70K) I don't have much (only 10K at this time) in my taxable. Would that worry you? I'm 45, DW 43, one child 10 yrs (90k in 529 separate and not counted with other assets).
I also have the ability to do mega backdoor Roth... but lack of taxable bothers me sometimes. Thoughts?
Congratulations on "1M mark in our 401ks!" at age 45, that is far ahead of your peers, and far ahead of where we were at your age.

You could consider selling some I bonds ("2x yearly expenses" seems excessive for an emergency fund, absent some extraordinary need) to zero out the mortgage note.

Don't be too concerned about just $10k in taxable. After paying off the mortgage note use your newly freeded up cash flow to contribute every month to the taxable account.
Investing.Newbie

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:47 am
Agni wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:31 am Dear Bogleheads,
Congratulations on "1M mark in our 401ks!" at age 45, that is far ahead of your peers, and far ahead of where we were at your age.

You could consider selling some I bonds ("2x yearly expenses" seems excessive for an emergency fund, absent some extraordinary need) to zero out the mortgage note.

Don't be too concerned about just $10k in taxable. After paying off the mortgage note use your newly freeded up cash flow to contribute every month to the taxable account.
Congrats on hitting $1 million in your 401K at 45 ! That's great :sharebeer
majiaknight

Post by majiaknight »

Agni wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:31 am Also, at this time I have 2x yearly expenses, mainly in iBonds. I have around 64k mortgage left on a 525K house. However, what this means is that other than the iBonds, and Roth (~70K) I don't have much (only 10K at this time) in my taxable. Would that worry you? I'm 45, DW 43, one child 10 yrs (90k in 529 separate and not counted with other assets).
Congrats on the 1st $1m milestone!

I had similar concerns some time ago as I found out that after maxing out 2*IRA, 2*401k (1 w/ after tax and mega back door to Roth option), HSA, 2*(iBond+EE Savings) each year w/ a total of >$140K contribution to tax deferred/exempt accounts I have little to contribute to the taxable accounts. And I also have a big mortgage (w/ accelerated payments) and fund only $20K in 529 (w/ a young kid). I think that's probably fine as I have cash savings + ibond worth 1 year living expenses, and I can withdraw contributions (not earnings) to Roth IRA anytime, tax- and penalty-free.
In your case w/ 2x year expenses in iBond which IMO is more than enough, I'd suggest you consider funding your after-tax 401K to do mega backdoor roth to maximize the tax exempt investment space. If your company allows to do out-of-plan Roth IRA conversion (vs. in-plan Roth 401K conversion), then you may gain more flexibility with Roth IRA penalty-free withdrawals.
Lazareth

Happiness

Post by Lazareth »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Happiness is having to widen a column in your twenty year-old spreadsheet because a seventh figure just appeared in the account balance. :sharebeer
a/69, retired, married, enjoy p/t employment. Three-fund portfolio, after decades of chasing active-managed fund performance.
fortfun

Re: Happiness

Post by fortfun »

Lazareth wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:50 am Happiness is having to widen a column in your twenty year-old spreadsheet because a seventh figure just appeared in the account balance. :sharebeer
:sharebeer
Congrats, DW and I should have the same problem after our pre-tax contributions at the end of this month (assuming no crashes). Wish it had been sooner but better late than never. Thanks to all the fine people at Bogleheads.org for making it happen!
funktor

Post by funktor »

Congratulations! I will have to do the same soon except it will be for the liabilities column :beer
It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time. The losses are what define a man's faith
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

Congratulations! Fantastic milestone. :beer
matjen

Post by matjen »

Congratulations! Fantastic news for you and your family. :beer
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Excellent! :sharebeer
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
bltn

Post by bltn »

Congratulations. I would celebrate this week end and then continue on with the accumulation.
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

Hah! Well done.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Having had that specific happiness start after retirement, the six to seven event and its reverse, recurred steadily for a long time at my house.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Lazareth wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:50 am Happiness is having to widen a column in your twenty year-old spreadsheet because a seventh figure just appeared in the account balance. :sharebeer
Use a smaller font size.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Planner01

Post by Planner01 »

And that’s how it’s done!!! Congratulations🍾
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Somehow this reminds me of working in a bank doing transaction and other audits . . . long ago. . . no computers. . . . :shock:

Congratulations
:sharebeer
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
2 bits

Post by 2 bits »

Nice, you’ve been looking forward to this. Congrats
I sometimes think that I am living the life of which my immigrant ancestors dreamed.
sambb

Post by sambb »

excel can autofit, etc.
just1question

Post by just1question »

Congratulations. It takes a lot of hard work. Keep at it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Lazareth's thread into the on-going discussion.
Lazareth wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:50 am [Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]
Happiness is having to widen a column in your twenty year-old spreadsheet because a seventh figure just appeared in the account balance. :sharebeer
You can fix that by changing to scientific notation... :)

:beer
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
A440

Post by A440 »

We reached our 529 goal for DS #1. Now, instead of contributing monthly to his 529 the money will go to add him to our NJ car insurance premium when he gets his license this fall :oops: .
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Lazareth wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:50 am [Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Congratulations :D
AngelFIRE

Post by AngelFIRE »

Registered to post milestone - we’ve just reached our milestone of $1.1M in our « stash »
I just turned 49, DH is 63. 6 years ago we discovered BH’s and it has changed our lives.
Thanks BH! :happy
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

AngelFIRE wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:41 pm Registered to post milestone - we’ve just reached our milestone of $1.1M in our « stash »
I just turned 49, DH is 63. 6 years ago we discovered BH’s and it has changed our lives.
Congratulations!

Onward and upward.

Cheers
Investing.Newbie

AngelFIRE wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:41 pm Registered to post milestone - we’ve just reached our milestone of $1.1M in our « stash »
Congrats :sharebeer
Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster »

Paid off our mortgage about a week ago. :beer