Electrician required to replace rocker light switches with PIR motion detecting light switches?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
synthfan23

Electrician required to replace rocker light switches with PIR motion detecting light switches?

Post by synthfan23 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:26 pm

Not very handy so I don’t want to attempt this myself. I have a relative visiting in a few months who used to build custom luxury homes who may be able to install these for me. Though he’s not a licensed electrician. So is it advisable to hire one? Or sufficient to hire a Handyman through an app like TaskRabbit.com. I’ve had terrific luck recently having TaskRabbit install several ceiling fans, assemble furniture, etc. Still have around $20 or so left of TR referral credit.

Further, which brands of PIR motion sensing light switching models / brands do people recommend and/or advise steering clear of? Lots to choose from. Also, which rooms make the most sense for PIR switches? I’m thinking laundry rooms, walk-in closets, garages, and... well, what *doesn’t* make sense? Perhaps that’s a better question to arrive at a good answer(s).

Housedoc

Re: Electrician required to replace rocker light switches with PIR motion detecting light switches?

Post by Housedoc » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:32 pm

Handyman can handle. I have 1 in laundry room and 1 on stairs to basement from kitchen. Anywhere your hands are full but you don't want to trip or fall, lights become hands free.

Starfish

Re: Electrician required to replace rocker light switches with PIR motion detecting light switches?

Post by Starfish » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:34 pm

Screwing and unscrewing couple of wires should be easily handled by a 10 y old (turn off electricity first).

petiejoe

Post by petiejoe » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:55 pm

Replacing a switch is much easier than replacing a fan (same basic electrical skill, much less to juggle). Try it yourself if you have a screwdriver and know where the fuse box is, or pick your favorite handyman.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:04 pm

I would do it myself. If you're unsure, watch a YouTube video first. Just turn off the power at the breaker before messing with it.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:14 pm

I’m the worst diy guy in history but I can replace a light switch. Watch a couple of YouTube videos and then do it yourself. But if you really hate diy, a handyman is fine.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9lZUP-Fe9to

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:31 pm

As others mentioned, replacement of light switches is generally an easy DIY project. A couple of caveats:
  • Be certain that the power to the switch is off at the breaker panel.
  • After removing the cover plate, use a voltage tester to verify the power is off before you start removing wires from the existing switch.
  • If the existing switch was installed by pushing the wires into the "push in" terminals in the back, rather than using the screw terminals, it is easiest to cut the wires, strip the ends and connect to the new switch. Trying to remove the wires from push terminals while connected to the switch is tricky.
  • It is easiest to install a motion detection switch that does not require a neutral (the white wire). If the switch requires a neutral, a jumper will need to be connected between the new switch and the neutral wires (usually connected together with a wire nut in a light switch box). If you don't have a neutral in the box, you can't install a switch requiring a neutral in that location without running new wire to the box.
A competent handyman or someone with reasonable DIY skills should be able to swap the switches out. I'd recommend getting switches that do not require a neutral (like the Lutron Maestro MS-OPS2) to make it easy on whomever installs your new switches.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:38 pm

You can do this but if you feel uncomfortable, hire someone. Better than getting smoke/fire/sparks in the wall or ceiling.
Be sure to get the proper switch. IE: 2 way, 3way, etc. And, don't get the "traveler" mixed up.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:44 pm

This is pretty simple if it is single pole switch (only 1 switch for the light). I have them in every bathroom except the master and love them. People always comment on how they didn't have to turn the light on or off. I used Lutron sensors/switches with dimmers.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:48 pm

For something like this, I would rather do it myself rather than use what will likely be an unlicensed handyman.

They are very simply, in fact, I just did one last weekend.

Took about 5 minutes from the time I hit the breaker to the time I powered it back on.

-Turn off breaker
-Test to make sure it is dead
-Remove switchplace
-Remove switch
-Remove wires
-Hook up wires
-Screw in switch
-Turn on power and test
-Install switchplate

geoff2

Post by geoff2 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:49 pm

mhalley wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:14 pm
I’m the worst diy guy in history but I can replace a light switch. Watch a couple of YouTube videos and then do it yourself. But if you really hate diy, a handyman is fine.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9lZUP-Fe9to
Yea, I'm in the same boat. I'm incredibly unhandy. I can't fix anything mechanical. Anything happens to my bike, I take it to the bike shop. My wife handles anything that needs assembling or fixing at home. I'm lucky I don't fall walking down steps. But, I've replaced several switches, some with "smart" switches that take up more space and thus are harder to jam into the wall. It's hard to screw up.

Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:05 pm

Recently I was about to rewire a switch that is in a 2-gang electrical box. After turning off power to that circuit, I was surprised to discover that the other switch in the box was on a different circuit, and therefore, still live. So if there is another switch in the same electrical box, don't assume it's on the same circuit. Use your voltage tester to verify nothing in the box is live.

For me, the hardest part of the job is getting those stiff wires stuffed back into the electrical box, especially now that my arthritis is getting worse.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:23 pm

I bought motion detecting things for my garage overhead lights that screw into the sockets and then the light bulbs screw into them. Not very aesthetic, but easy.

I can't remember where I got them, but they looked like these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003QKS4Z4

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:01 am

It took me years of observing my neighbors to understand some people do not like to try home projects. It's just something in their DNA. No shame, kind of lucky in a way. I always do my own work from home to autos. I have neighbors that own no tools, not even a screwdriver. They pay for lightbulb swaps, air filter replacement, etc. Some have 3 teenage boys and still hire out lawn service. Just a fact of life. Since OP stated he hired out other work that is not difficult I put him in the lucky to have bucks to spend or is at an age he doesn't feel like doing this type of work.

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:46 am

galawdawg wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:31 pm
If the existing switch was installed by pushing the wires into the "push in" terminals in the back, rather than using the screw terminals, it is easiest to cut the wires, strip the ends and connect to the new switch. Trying to remove the wires from push terminals while connected to the switch is tricky.
From my own experience, I've found that most "push in" terminals have a release mechanism, usually a small slot next to the hole for the wire. I push a very small screwdriver into that slot, and that releases the wire so that it can be pulled out easily. Most of the time, I can't get it to hold another wire after that, but the screw posts still work normally.

Another warning is to watch for non-standard wiring. I've replaced virtually every switch and outlet in my current home, some multiple times.(My wife decided she didn't like the colors, then decided she wanted smart switches, and some motion switches after that) At least 25% of the wiring didn't match anything I'd expected to find, or was obviously jury-rigged based on what other wiring was nearby. Usually, if it didn't match the standard diagrams, I could find answers online through Google, but at times, I had to use a multi-meter and/or wire tracer to figure out the wiring layout. After a certain point, I'd rather pay an electrician for 1-2 hours instead of spending days trying to figure out the last few pieces myself.

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:41 pm

I found "Lutron Maestro C.L Dimmer and Motion Sensor" switch to be the best of all I tried and use in my house. While it is a bit more expensive ($31 on Amazon for white one) than Maestro non-dimming ones (which can be had for only $16 if purchased in packs and/or on sale), it is just better.

I really like how dimmer does not turns on/off with loud click, but comes up and especially down slowly, so if for some reason you don't move for a long time, and the light starts dimming, you have plenty of time to wave your hand to stop it before you end up in the complete darkness.

I tried another brand too, cannot recall the name, and it did not work at all for some reason, so sticking to Maestros for now.

I am really happy about installing those in kids bedrooms (to turn off only after no-motion period) and bathroom and walk-in closets (both auto-on and off) on the 2nd floor, so not I do not have to climb up all the time to check if they turned all the light off, and scream at them when they did not. That and their playroom in bathroom was main motivation for retrofit, but once that was done, I found it to be working so well that did the rest of the house whereever it made sense (it does not everywhere, like in our master bedroom and master bathroom).

Best unexpected use case was kitchen pantry where the light switch was inside the pantry, now the light comes one as soon as one extends a hand into it, but only if it is not day light time since Maestros can be trained to come on only if ambient light is below certain threshold.

Aha-moment use case came when I used more expensive dual switch with PIR to control both bathroom light and fan in bathrooms. I discovered that kids would constantly forget to turn off the fan in their bathroom and one in the basement where they play and accidentaly turn it on so it would continue to suck out heat or airconditioned air out of the house, sometimes for days until I discover it as fans are very quiet. I could not install timer switch like I did in master bath there, because of single-switch electric box with half-sized switches inside controlling bathroom fan and bathroom light. And there are no dual switches with one of them being on timer in existence it turns out, I ran exaustive search (there are the ones with 2nd being dimmer but no timers). I was ready to give up but realized that the dual-circuit Maestro switch (https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-MS-OPS6-D ... B00FAM7RYA) can be configured to control light like regular PIR on one circuit and to simply turn off after no movement for max of 30 minutes) on another. So now in bathrooms used by kids the fan turns off after 30 mins of no movement. I discovered that the maximum setting is a good idea since glass shower door prevent movement detection, so if one behind it it is like you are not in bathroom at all. These dual switches are really expensive, but surprisignly can be cheaper in white-off colors...

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:17 pm

If you have an older house check how many wires your current switch has and how many the new switch requires.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:20 pm

One pitfall I can think of is maybe if your wiring is old and the insulation is prone to cracking or something like that. All of the halogen light fixtures I replaced the wiring insulation was very brittle due to heat from those cursed lights. It also destroyed their boxes.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:28 pm

Should be easy enough to do yourself IF you have copper wiring.

If aluminum? (many houses built in the 60s, give or take)
Should probably get an electrician.

P.S. Nothing like being on the toilet a long time and the light goes off, and you are where it cannot 'see' you waving your arms
:oops:

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:36 pm

rj342 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:28 pm

P.S. Nothing like being on the toilet a long time and the light goes off, and you are where it cannot 'see' you waving your arms
I keep a flashlight within easy reach in both bathrooms. Also automatic power failure lights in various rooms, esp. stairways. Hopefully those are not needed now that I got a generator.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:47 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:36 pm
rj342 wrote:

I keep a flashlight within easy reach in both bathrooms. Also automatic power failure lights in various rooms, esp. stairways. Hopefully those are not needed now that I got a generator.
I meant when the motion activated light turns off on its timer after last motion detected (OP original topic)

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:42 pm

rj342 wrote:

That rarely happens to me. I must not be still enough. What does happen if I shower in the guest bath though is I have to wave my hand when the light starts to dim.....but since there is a glass door it has to be above or to the side of the glass to be sensed. The Lutron dimmer/sensor I have you can adjust it to stay on various times, but I try to strike a balance between quick things (peeing/glancing in the mirror) and something longer like a shower. I opted for shorter time period and the waving method :D.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:15 am

We installed Lutron PIR in stairs, closets and garage. Motion sensors are good for us only for entering normally dark transitory areas, not occupying them. We don’t like waving our hands every ten minutes. For rooms you occupy I recommend regular switches or Lutron Caseta you can control by voice via Google or Amazon.

mancich

Post by mancich » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:00 am

if you have a handy relative, they should be able to install it for you no problem (assuming you absolutely don't want to attempt it yourself). If you don't want to wait, there is no shame in hiring a licensed electrician. If you go that route, talk to friends/neighbors to get recommendations of electricians they have used that did good work at a fair price.

Topic Author
synthfan23

Post by synthfan23 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:39 pm

Thanks to all. I may give it a go. I do have a multimeter new-in-box. And have been stocking up on tools at Harbor Freight using coupons. My home is new construction—2019. And would be Built To Code for Orange County, FL. I believe OC FL has fairly strict building codes.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 pm

synthfan23 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:39 pm
Thanks to all. I may give it a go. I do have a multimeter new-in-box. And have been stocking up on tools at Harbor Freight using coupons. My home is new construction—2019. And would be Built To Code for Orange County, FL. I believe OC FL has fairly strict building codes.

Good luck. I hope it goes well. I hope you experience what I've experienced. What might take hours to get someone out to do (estimates, scheduling) is a 20 minute job just isn't worth it.

Topic Author
synthfan23

Post by synthfan23 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:49 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 pm
synthfan23 wrote:

Good luck. I hope it goes well. I hope you experience what I've experienced. What might take hours to get someone out to do (estimates, scheduling) is a 20 minute job just isn't worth it.
Thanks and likewise! Feels empowering to consider DIY. I've been having Too Much Fun buying tools at Harbor Freight to self-serve and rely less on others. Yes, I know. You get what you pay for. HF doesn't sell Craftsmen quality stuff. However, at their prices? If I use a tool 2-3 times and it breaks, I don't really care. Short money.

Like folks have said, cut off all the power so I don't shuffle off This Mortal Coil first. Then, it shouldn't hurt to try. [Deleted - moderator oldcomputerguy] I'll probably turn off the power main, during daylight hours, just to be extra safe. But that's me... :-)

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:54 am

Go full on crazy, take pictures of wires on existing switch, tape a identifying note to each wire. You can do it. Not a bad idea to use electrical tape over wire nuts after testing. Some switches have pigtail wires instead of screw down tabs.

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:10 pm

It really is very simple. Frequently you can simply mover wires one by one from old switch to the new one, though most smart switches now come with pre-stripped twisted wires that have to be connected to existing solid copper stripped wire you took of old switch (straightening if it was bent for the switch nut) with wire nut that comes with the new switch.

The most complication I experienced so far was when I had one of the solid copper wires had stripped but uncut section connected to a switch and continue on, uninterrupted, that I would have to connect to a twisted wire on the new smart switch. In this case you have to cut the wire in the middle of stripped section, usually strip off some more insulation on both new ends, and use pliers to twist together and then a larger/wider than normally supplied with the new switch wire nut to connect the twisted wire to both new ends into a single junction of 3 wire ends--so better get larger size of wire nuts that would work for 3 wires before starting any job, the ones that come with new switches are for connecting 2 wires only.

In fact, after watching licensed electricians to do the job on a couple of more complicated circuits in my house, such as 4-ways, I did dozens of trivial ones--1 and 3 ways--myself without turning off circuit breakers anymore. Because it takes longer to run to the basement, identify the circuit, check that it is off, do the job, put the cover back on, then turn on the breaker and perhaps have to redo most of it if you discover that you have a short than to simply work slower and more carefully with live wires (which is how electrician crew did it). With 110 V this is not big deal if I touch a live wire accidentally and my hand gets shocked by it, happened a few times and feels like like touching a strong vibrator, hand just jerks away. Also, a couple of times I shorted the wires accidentally and then had to go to the basement, but then, at least, I knew right away and I could see right away which circuit breaker is tripped... BUT: You should definitely not start this way, this is only for when you gain more experience and the replacement process itself becomes nearly automatic for you, will take more than a couple of different switches and AC outlets to get there. And never try that on 220V circuits, would not be a good idea.

SixAlpha

Post by SixAlpha » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:37 pm

synthfan23 wrote:
To go along with that multimeter, go to Lowe's and grab one of these guys.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-Digi ... 1000095087

Just picked one up and REALLY wish I had it before re-wiring 10 painted-over outlets in my basement last weekend.

spectec

Post by spectec » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:01 pm

Might want to re-think using pliers to twist the wires before screwing on a wire nut when doing a pig tail connection. The wire nut manufacturers actually recommend not doing that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLUD7YfUf7Q

Also, even if you figure out how to separate a push-in connection (it usually isn't very difficult), you should still snip and re-strip the wire before making the next connection. The reason is because the push-in connection can score the wire, so the old connection has a potential weak spot. There's also no way to know if the last person who worked on the device knew how to properly strip the wire. Either way, you wouldn't want to push it into a new device. When I'm doing this type of work in my home, I usually just cut the wire as close as possible to the device even though I know how to extract it.

Unless wire coming out of the box is getting short, the most important thing to do is to be sure the new connection is as good as it can possibly be.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

wilked

Post by wilked » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:42 am

serbeer wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:41 pm
I am really happy about installing those in kids bedrooms (to turn off only after no-motion period) and bathroom and walk-in closets (both auto-on and off) on the 2nd floor, so not I do not have to climb up all the time to check if they turned all the light off, and scream at them when they did not.
A 60W equivalent LED uses about 8W. Even if the child left the light on 12 hours per day, every day, that is a lit 35kWh. At $0.15 / kWh that is $50/year. Not worth screaming at anyone. Likely they only forget once in a while...

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:29 am

wilked wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:42 am
serbeer wrote:
I am really happy about installing those in kids bedrooms (to turn off only after no-motion period) and bathroom and walk-in closets (both auto-on and off) on the 2nd floor, so not I do not have to climb up all the time to check if they turned all the light off, and scream at them when they did not.
A 60W equivalent LED uses about 8W. Even if the child left the light on 12 hours per day, every day, that is a lit 35kWh. At $0.15 / kWh that is $50/year. Not worth screaming at anyone. Likely they only forget once in a while...
Except each of their rooms has a light fixture with 3 60-wat equivalent bulbs in it (as they have rather big bedrooms, one with cathedral ceiling). Plus each bedroom has closet with another light they would leave on regularly. And their bathroom has 4-bulb vanity light in it as well, and one more fan light used for toilet area of bathroom. So we are talking about 13 bulbs potentially left on 12 hours per day, and actually this "once in a while" was more like "more often than not" so $50 was more like $650/year using your own calculations. They would leave at least one room/closet or bathroom on daily, and usually not one. But it was more about my nerves than money actually. I hated having to deal with it, and have them argue who left bathroom lights one. This nearly $200 I spent on 6 PIR switches for rooms/closets/bathrooms was very good deal IMO...
Edit: actually, now that I thought about it, the switches were cheaper than $200 -- since five were non-dimming single-poles for $16 each, and only dual bathroom light/fan much pricier at $45, so around $125 in total.
Last edited by serbeer on Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:52 am

After reading all these replies about how easy it is "except" this, that, or the other, one might advise that if a person has to ask then it would be better to hire someone. It could be some good reading in a book or reading/viewing online would inform a person how confident they should be to do it themselves.

I personally have never used a handyman for this but rather have either done things myself of used electricians for big jobs. I guess I would be concerned that while most handymen can certainly do what is required, some handymen are actually not handy at all.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:10 am

I would suggest the OP wait for the relative to visit and then do it himself. Go ahead and get the supplies and watch the videos. But take advantage of having someone with experience watching you in cause you make a mistake.

I agree that replacing switches is a “one hammer” difficulty job. I replaced my first outlet when I was about 12. But you can literally burn your house to the ground if you screw up. Same reasoning why I would not recommend someone replace brake pads with only YouTube knowledge.

wilked

Post by wilked » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:12 pm

serbeer wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:29 am
wilked wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:42 am
serbeer wrote:
Except each of their rooms has a light fixture with 3 60-wat equivalent bulbs in it (as they have rather big bedrooms, one with cathedral ceiling). Plus each bedroom has closet with another light they would leave on regularly. And their bathroom has 4-bulb vanity light in it as well, and one more fan light used for toilet area of bathroom. So we are talking about 13 bulbs potentially left on 12 hours per day, and actually this "once in a while" was more like "more often than not" so $50 was more like $650/year using your own calculations. They would leave at least one room/closet or bathroom on daily, and usually not one. But it was more about my nerves than money actually. I hated having to deal with it, and have them argue who left bathroom lights one. This nearly $200 I spent on 6 PIR switches for rooms/closets/bathrooms was very good deal IMO...
Edit: actually, now that I thought about it, the switches were cheaper than $200 -- since five were non-dimming single-poles for $16 each, and only dual bathroom light/fan much pricier at $45, so around $125 in total.
$650 a year? I agree, that would make me yell...

Edit to add my e-bill is only $100/month on avg timber fair

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:17 pm

wilked wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:12 pm

$650 a year? I agree, that would make me yell...

Edit to add my e-bill is only $100/month on avg timber fair
Mine too, but it took me ~$750 in LED bulbs retrofit throughout the house (most were recessed replaced with integrated LEDs for the sake of looks as much as economy), and $400 in smart/motion sensitive swiches and dimmers to get there.

I actually added DIY landscape lighting to it (9 spotlights fed of 2 transformers) that costed $285 in parts purchased off Ebay that comes up at sunset driven by smart timer and turns off at midnight but the total wattage of all 9 led bulbs in it is only 22. However even with this low wattage, I can see the difference in electric bill in the summer as the days are longer and the lights come on around 9pm vs 4:30pm in the winter.

The thing is, I do not mind paying for bright light in kids rooms when they actually use it, and for decorative lights for the house. What I really hate is waste and while the whole setup may take a few years to pay for itself, PIR switches really cut down on that.