2019 Honda Fit - Anyone experiencing horrific whistling sound when front windows open >45mph?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
EvelynM

2019 Honda Fit - Anyone experiencing horrific whistling sound when front windows open >45mph?

Post by EvelynM » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:58 pm

I traded in what was truly a lemon that I bought from Honda a year ago (used Honda Civic that no matter what they "fixed" on it, it repeatedly wouldn't start, also had a terrible AC issue) and bought a 2019 Honda Fit. It has a horrific whistling sound over 45mph when either of the front windows are down. Honda has kept my car for three days, driven 150 miles in it (and wouldn't reimburse for gas), and they can't figure it out, said that's just the way it is. I'm going to Honda corporate with the issue. Surely they don't expect a customer to just accept this in a brand-new car. I'm totally fed up with Honda, have been a customer of theirs since 1991. Has anyone experienced this issue with the whistling? - Thanks!

bob60014

Re: 2019 Honda Fit - Anyone experiencing horrific whistling sound when front windows open >45mph?

Post by bob60014 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:07 pm

Its aerodynamic design to improve fuel economy that's most likely the cause. My Accord, other Hondas and other manufacturers Ive been in have the same noise, some better, some worse. Actually, mine is worse with the rears partially down.

mortfree

Re: 2019 Honda Fit - Anyone experiencing horrific whistling sound when front windows open >45mph?

Post by mortfree » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:08 pm

Did you have the AC turned on?

A quick google search showed a few threads on Honda vehicles whistling when AC is on.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Try this: open the driver's window and rear right window at the same time; OR the front passenger's window and rear left window at the same time. Does that improve things? (Basically this allows the air to flow out of the car. At 45+ MPH air is coming in very quickly, and without an outlet to escape, it causes buffeting. I don't know for certain from your description that this is what's happening with your car, but there's a decent chance, since you mention only opening the front windows.)

Also, to check if something this is "just the way it is" by design or if it's isolated to your car, just take another '19 Fit for a spin.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:52 pm

How did you get a Honda Fit up to 45 mph? :P

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:58 pm

I have had a few cars in which opening both windows on one side and keeping both on the other side closed was the quietest configuration. It just depends on the aerodynamic design of the vehicle.

JoinToday

Post by JoinToday » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:00 pm

Trism wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:52 pm
More importantly, why are you (OP, not Trism) driving 45 mph with your window open?

I hope I don't violate forum guidelines regarding religion ( :wink: ), but God gave us air conditioning for a reason. (Please, don't tell me you bought a car without AC! I live in coastal southern California; even here, AC is a non-negotiable requirement in a car)
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:18 pm

02nz wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:09 pm
Try this: open the driver's window and rear right window at the same time; OR the front passenger's window and rear left window at the same time. Does that improve things? (Basically this allows the air to flow out of the car. At 45+ MPH air is coming in very quickly, and without an outlet to escape, it causes buffeting. I don't know for certain from your description that this is what's happening with your car, but there's a decent chance, since you mention only opening the front windows.)
Good advice.

Easy workaround is to raise the window and use the AC at high speeds (which is probably about neutral with the bad aerodynamics of having the window down from a fuel consumption point of view). May require a mindset change if you think you are saving fuel by leaving the AC off and having the windows open at high speed. Both of the cars we own right now (2018 models) have severe buffeting when the windows are down at high speeds to the point of being intolerable for my ears.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:22 pm

02nz wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Also, to check if something this is "just the way it is" by design or if it's isolated to your car, just take another '19 Fit for a spin.
+1

This has been my experience on most cars I have owned.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:29 pm

Almost all newer cars seem horrible with widows open. Either use the AC or buy a classic with triangular vent windows. Seriously though, driving next to an open window is surprisingly loud and has been connected to hearing loss.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:04 pm

It's not just the Honda Fit. Most cars nowadays are designed around the assumption that people will drive with the air conditioner on and the windows closed. When I rent cars on my travels, I often find that an open window causes various annoying sounds.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:08 pm

EvelynM wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:58 pm
I traded in what was truly a lemon that I bought from Honda a year ago (used Honda Civic that no matter what they "fixed" on it, it repeatedly wouldn't start, also had a terrible AC issue) and bought a 2019 Honda Fit. It has a horrific whistling sound over 45mph when either of the front windows are down. Honda has kept my car for three days, driven 150 miles in it (and wouldn't reimburse for gas), and they can't figure it out, said that's just the way it is. I'm going to Honda corporate with the issue. Surely they don't expect a customer to just accept this in a brand-new car. I'm totally fed up with Honda, have been a customer of theirs since 1991. Has anyone experienced this issue with the whistling? - Thanks!
Could you share what year your used Honda Civic lemon was and how many miles were on it? Civics are known for AC issues, unfortunately. I had a 2013 Honda Fit and I needed the right windows open for it not to sound off on the highway. I usually kept the windows closed as it was easier, although the 2013 was very loud. The 2019 has much better sound proofing.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:29 pm

Just piling on from above. All my newer vehicles exhibit loud noises or buffeting wind with the windows down at high speeds. I was told it's due to aerodynamics. True or not, I do not know or care. I turn on the AC above 40 mph or so as it uses more gas to have the windows open anyway. My old 1992 Honda Accord though was fine with the windows down. The trick with one window open on the front and the opposite window in the rear works well to reduce the noise.

ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:09 am

wait a second - the mechanics drove your car 150 miles while testing the whistling sound? That is absurd, you need to talk to their manager.

ohai

Post by ohai » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:14 am

JoinToday wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:00 pm
Trism wrote:
More importantly, why are you (OP, not Trism) driving 45 mph with your window open?
Yeah, this bothered me the most, to be honest.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:54 am

This is not a problem. Roll your windows up.

Air makes noise, especially at high speeds.

The car is designed to have the windows rolled up at high speeds.

JT

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:07 am

It’s hard to believe that Honda would pay a mechanic for the time to drive 150 miles to diagnose a relatively minor issue (for them). That seems unusual. Have you discussed the milage and gas reimbursement with the service manage or district manager?

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:18 am

HomeStretch wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:07 am
It’s hard to believe that Honda would pay a mechanic for the time to drive 150 miles to diagnose a relatively minor issue (for them). That seems unusual. Have you discussed the milage and gas reimbursement with the service manage or district manager?
They don't pay the mechanic for commute time. The normal practice in my area is that the mechanic drives the car home to diagnose a problem like this. Guessing that's what happened and that OP agreed to it. I had to do it once and it was explained to me that the mechanics often live in lower cost of living areas with long commutes into an urban dealership. No I could not request that they assign it to a mechanic with a shorter commute. In my case it was an "up to 100 miles" and it came in about half that.

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:12 am

The Fit has loud road noise to begin with, and then also you should not be driving with windows down over 45 MPH and expect to not have loud noises

Does the car have any issues when the windows are closed at high speeds? If not, I wouldn't worry about a thing

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:35 am

Could be something like the design of the mirror. Try reaching out and changing the profile of the mirror mount by using your hand as a baffle. If that works, you can buy aftermarket baffles, for example:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-PCS-C ... 39645.html

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:17 am

Interesting!

So one can actually lower their car windows?

I thought all vehicles sold in Florida had permanently closed windows. :D

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:34 am

The only reason they make the windows roll down is so you can pay at the drive-through window. What are you doing going through there at 45mph?

Topic Author
EvelynM

Post by EvelynM » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:36 pm

Thank you all for your input. To answer questions:

1. The whistling occurs with every configuration of windows up/down, with AC on/off, with outside air/inside air regulator on/off, with every adjustment of outside mirror. The mechanics taped up each window, opened and closed vents, tried it all at different speeds, etc. They all agreed the whistling is excruciating and not normal, but the service rep decided that after they couldn't fix it, "it's just the way it is." I'm going to call Honda corporate.

2. I've owned Hondas all my life (I'm 65) and have never had any whistling issues. I've driven in lots of cars in 65 years, have never heard this kind of whistling before. I drove another 2019 Honda Fit at the dealership and there was no whistling.

3. I live in Northern CA and work on a farm in the mornings, love to have the window(s) down going 45 miles an hour on country roads. It has nothing to do with saving fuel, etc. I just want to be able to have the damn window(s) down. Also like to have windows down when I visit my daughter in San Francisco. It's impossible to do so with this unbearable whistling! I'm planning to drive to KY to visit my son - no can do with this whistling!

4. The lemon I had was a Honda Civic 2008.

5. Yes, very heatedly discussed the mileage situation with the service rep, but they said all they can do is give me a $20 credit for my next tire rotation. Completely unacceptable.

I'm not recommending Honda to anyone anymore, and definitely not this dealership. Very distressing and disappointing.

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:44 pm

I'm a little confused on the timeline. Have you had this car for a year? Have you been aware of the issue the entire time?

If another identical car on the lot does not have the issue, I'd say you have a case against Honda. At some point they will pinpoint the issue, but it may take a while. You may also try to determine whether this is something where lemon-laws apply (giving them a limited amount of time to resolve the issue). This is not likely to be trivial to get through, as you well know from your last vehicle. It's probably not going to help your case if this is the same dealership that dealt with that case.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:46 pm

If it's that bad, then start process of elimination. Like remove the driver mirror and cover the hole with duct tape. If that fixes it, you know what needs help.

I'm surprised nobody's said to buy a $125k Tesla.

Honda should trademark "They all do that" as their new corporate slogan. Oil dilution? "They all do that". 110 dB noise when windows are rolled down? "They all do that".
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:52 pm

We had a new 1998 GMC Jimmy SUV.

The (electric) front windows rolled up too far and created a gap in the rubber seal on both sides of the window glass. Both front doors did this.

The thing whistled like a train going through town. If you fiddled with the up down switch, you could land in a spot where the window was partially down, but not so much air came through the top but enough to seal the lower rubber gaskets. It was a pain. We started not touching the window controls or only if we really had to roll down the windows.

Had it in multiple times. They couldn't fix it. Didn't have that pile of junk more than 12 months. Expensive lesson learned.

We once test drove a new Honda Odyssey top end model. The front windshield whistled loudly when driving. The salesman was in the car with us. I said "what is causing that?" I could hear it along the top/side of the windshield. He said he would have it checked out. That ended that test drive.

Does it have a sunroof? I would assume windshield gasket, sunroof or side window gasket issues.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

Topic Author
EvelynM

Post by EvelynM » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:56 pm

onourway: I've only had the Honda Fit for 5 months. The lemon Honda Civic 2008 is the one I traded in for this new car. This whistling sound has been occurring since I first bought the car. Thank you for your input about what to do going forward.

ck FFR1846: The Honda mechanics have driven this car around for three entire days and have taped up everything you can tape in, in every configuration possible. They took the door off, replaced the panel (and then the door wouldn't shut properly, but they fixed it), put in foam. They can't figure it out. HAHA "They all do that." Except they drove another 2019 Honda Fit the first day I brought in my car, and it had no whistling. I think their logo should be "Well, we kinda tried to fix it!"

bloom2708: YES, exactly, like a train going through town! It doesn't have a sunroof. Thank you for the input. I will add the gasket suggestions to my list for the next mechanic I see.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:25 pm

Forgot to mention it but my Honda Accord also whistled when it was brand new. There was even a service bulletin for it:
https://honda.oemdtc.com/398/wind-noise ... nda-accord

Showed it to the dealer and they gave me 10 feet of the gasket material, I applied it to the doors myself. Problem gone!

BTW, this is why people buy Lexus instead of Toyota, Acura instead of Honda. :wink:

Topic Author
EvelynM

Post by EvelynM » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:05 pm

sunny_socal: Wow! Thank you! I'm sending it to the Honda dealership right now. So very helpful! For those of us who can't afford a Lexus, all I can say is lucky you! I only drive two places: to visit my daughter in SF and to a farm every morning. Otherwise, I live in a bike-friendly city and never need a car. The only reason I got a brand-new car is because I was SO totally sick and tired of the lemon Honda not starting (I only had it one year and it spent most of its time at Honda because of the AC and starter problems), and if my daughter needs me in SF, I have to be able to leave immediately and know the car will start. It was a mistake to buy from Honda again, however, based on my past experiences, but I made a quick decision, which I regret.Thank you very much for that link!

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:08 pm

EvelynM wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:05 pm
sunny_socal: Wow! Thank you! I'm sending it to the Honda dealership right now. So very helpful! For those of us who can't afford a Lexus, all I can say is lucky you! I only drive two places: to visit my daughter in SF and to a farm every morning. Otherwise, I live in a bike-friendly city and never need a car. The only reason I got a brand-new car is because I was SO totally sick and tired of the lemon Honda not starting (I only had it one year and it spent most of its time at Honda because of the AC and starter problems), and if my daughter needs me in SF, I have to be able to leave immediately and know the car will start. It was a mistake to buy from Honda again, however, based on my past experiences, but I made a quick decision, which I regret.Thank you very much for that link!
BTW the link I sent was for an Accord, not a Fit - hopefully they can still help you out :|

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:07 pm

ohai wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:14 am
JoinToday wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:00 pm
Trism wrote:
Yeah, this bothered me the most, to be honest.
I have my driver's window open a tiny amount to better hear emergency vehicles, horns, etc.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:10 pm

EvelynM wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:05 pm
Buy a used old Lexus. I would never have thought of this, but when I was car shopping a relative had his for sale. He maintains stuff meticulously so I had no qualms about buying it. If a Lexus is old enough, it is affordable and cross fingers they have a reputation for lasting indefinitely. The only down side is you have to shell out for premium gas.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:30 pm

The following is not directly helpful, but rather encouragement to keep looking for any sort of configuration that makes the noise go away:

Our Outback has a loud drumming sound that happens with the rear windows open. It's some sort of turbulent effect that starts around 45 mph and I think continues to about 70.

It's not just annoying. It's painful. I got a headache in less than a minute while test driving.

We had more or less decided to buy the car when we accidentally discovered this near the end of the test drive, but it was so bad there was no way we were going to go forward with it. Then we happened to crack the front windows just a little bit and it completely went away.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:36 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:10 pm

Buy a used old Lexus. I would never have thought of this, but when I was car shopping a relative had his for sale. He maintains stuff meticulously so I had no qualms about buying it. If a Lexus is old enough, it is affordable and cross fingers they have a reputation for lasting indefinitely. The only down side is you have to shell out for premium gas.
Most recent high compression engines detect pre-ignition and will reduce the spark advance and run with reduced performance on regular gas. The only exceptions I'm aware of are race cars, certain exotic cars, and certain motorcycles.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:58 am

Mine I am trying to figure out why it sounds like a Geiger counter picking up radiation when >2.5k rpm. I thought bad/old gas/predetonation but fresh gas didn't help and it probably would have thrown a code if it was that.

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:20 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:30 pm
The following is not directly helpful, but rather encouragement to keep looking for any sort of configuration that makes the noise go away:

Our Outback has a loud drumming sound that happens with the rear windows open. It's some sort of turbulent effect that starts around 45 mph and I think continues to about 70.

It's not just annoying. It's painful. I got a headache in less than a minute while test driving.

We had more or less decided to buy the car when we accidentally discovered this near the end of the test drive, but it was so bad there was no way we were going to go forward with it. Then we happened to crack the front windows just a little bit and it completely went away.
Every car I have ever driven has done this to some degree if you have rear windows only open.