Relocation to Denver

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
ReelinReds

Relocation to Denver

Post by ReelinReds » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:54 pm

I'm most likely moving to Denver for work which has a much higher cost of living than I'm used to. Can yall give me any advice on areas to look into to rent? I'm 26 and single. I'll be working in the commerce city area. I like the outdoors but still want to be around an urban-enough area to meet people my age. I plan on renting for at least the first year while I adjust to the HCOL and decide if Denver is a place I want to stay. Any other advice on living cheap in a HCOL area? Thanks in advance.

8track

Re: Relocation to Denver

Post by 8track » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:40 pm

The Capitol Hill area is part of the central urban scene, not too far from downtown between the Civic Center and Cheesman Park . It's a funky neighborhood, lots of older victorian houses, interesting bars and restaurants, and all kinds of people. Be aware that like many central city areas it has its share of crime. I have some friends about your age who moved here from Texas and they enjoyed living there while they were looking for a place to buy. The Baker neighborhood is near Denver Health just south of downtown (near 6th and Bannock), you might think about looking there. That's where my friends bought a place, it's similar to Capitol Hill but a bit less funky. By the way, traffic can be very frustrating here if you are thinking about commuting to Commerce City from one of the suburbs like Littleton or Lakewood, where rents are much cheaper but there is no night life.

I assume you are looking on Zillow to see what rental rates are?

Good luck!

5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:45 pm

We live in Stapleton, very close to Commerce City. The bulk of Stapleton residents are young families, but it is very easy to get downtown for nightlife. Rent is expensive everywhere. You might be able to find a more reasonable place in Brighton. It’s north of Commerce City, further from downtown, but would probably save you a bunch in rent.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:55 pm

The cost of living in Denver is not that “high”—except for housing costs.
Draw a line between your work location and Union Station. Live somewhere along that line.

More help here http://www.city-data.com/forum/denver/

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:01 pm

If you want urban, see what you can find in LoHi or downtown itself. Maybe Five Points. Tons of apartment buildings have been going up around Union Station and it's RTD's main hub so you'd have transit access to anywhere.

Denver's urban core is small. It's a pretty sprawling metro.

peetsperk

Post by peetsperk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:14 pm

I would encourage you to do your homework before finalizing your decision whether or not to relocate to Denver. My son moved there two years ago. Housing is very expensive as compared to other Midwestern locations. I would also investigate auto insurance rates. For younger drivers, they are especially high. Good luck.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:34 am

Bogle7 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:55 pm
The cost of living in Denver is not that “high”—except for housing costs.
Draw a line between your work location and Union Station. Live somewhere along that line.

More help here http://www.city-data.com/forum/denver/
I believe that for lower 48 US states the cost of everything is very similar ?

*except* cost of housing

When we say "high COL" we basically mean "cost of housing"?

(If say gasoline is expensive in California and cheap in Texas; what happens is Californians drive smaller and more efficient vehicles and Texans more pickups and big SUVs. Thus total cost of motoring for average household is similar)

tindel

Post by tindel » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:29 am

Just FYI - it took us about 5 years to catch up with the cost of living here. It took 10 years until we felt comfortable. I moved here at 25, my wife was 26. We love it here, but boy is it expensive! We moved here in the summer of '07 from the Houston area. We wouldn't have gotten to where we are without a couple of job changes also.

I looked up rent where we rented our first year - it's more than double what it was when we moved here. Yikes!

Commerce City - as it's name implies - is the industrial side of town. There's not as much housing in that town - nor would you want to live there due to the refinery smells. Closer to downtown for sure, and more people with more experience in those areas have already given suggestions. Rents will be more expensive in the city though - but at your age and single, I'd think you'd really need to live there instead of some of the suburbs further north and east.

Have you considered Boulder? It's a straight shot from Boulder to Commerce City down 36/270. Boulder is a college town so lots of young people there sharing apartments and stuff. It's a longer commute than other suggestions, but you might like the nightlife and college scene.

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:03 am

ReelinReds wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:54 pm
I'm most likely moving to Denver for work which has a much higher cost of living than I'm used to. Can yall give me any advice on areas to look into to rent? I'm 26 and single. I'll be working in the commerce city area. I like the outdoors but still want to be around an urban-enough area to meet people my age. I plan on renting for at least the first year while I adjust to the HCOL and decide if Denver is a place I want to stay. Any other advice on living cheap in a HCOL area? Thanks in advance.
The earlier suggestion of Stapleton is an excellent one. The commute would not be too rough to Commerce City and it’s a good value relative to downtown Denver. Also the housing stock is much newer than the urban core. My son (27) has lived there for just under a year and enjoys it. Capital Hill is another popular area for young folks. It is grittier and more urban than Stapleton and your commute would be longer. My nephew (24) enjoys living in CH and being within walking/bike riding distance of downtown activities. The further north and east you go the cheaper it gets. A relatively new, updated one bedroom apartment in Stapleton (south of I-70) would range from $900 to $1600. My son pays about $1300. In CH a one bedroom (much older and rougher around the edges) would start around $800. I believe my nephew’s rent is around $1000.
I would not consider Denver to be a HCOL area. IMO it falls in the medium range and crime is not a problem even in the urban core. Best of luck in your move.

BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:20 am

Used to live in Denver and actually built a house in Stapleton before moving to Southlake (Dallas).

Good suggestions in this thread so far. It really depends on what you want out of your living arrangement/commute.

If cheaper rent, better housing and decent accessibility with fewer people your age/stage of life is an option then Stapleton is the obvious answer.

But if you value being around people that are similar to your age/stage of life, definitely go with apartments around Union Station, LoDo, LoHi, RiNo, Cap Hill, Cheeseman or Cherry Creek mall. However expect to pay more for these and have a longer commute.

I initially lived in Cherry Creek mall area near Wash Park and paid about $1900 for an upscale apartment complex. I drove to work dt but could walk everywhere I wanted to go on the weekends. It was amazing. However I also lived there 5 years ago when there was short supply if apartments. Definitely think you can find some decent deals in the above mentioned areas if you look hard and inquire around - consider using a local apartment hunter as well.

Best of luck - enjoy Denver. Its a great place to live at your age.
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.