Your USER NAME...what does it mean?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Just sayin...

Re: Your USER NAME...what does it mean?

Post by Just sayin... »

I’m Just sayin...
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

Sconie wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:41 am Sconie-----well, for those of you who aren't from the upper Midwest, that's the nickname for people from WiSCONsin. :happy
I normally add the word "DRUNKEN" in front of it, when I say it. I'm from Minnesota :)
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

One of our system's team put my name (Misty) on my VOIP phone as "JediMisty". He also named his son "Luke". You know why. :beer
3wood

Post by 3wood »

Favorite club off the tee.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Means nothing. I randomly chose it. It has zero association to my real name or interests.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
FireAway

Post by FireAway »

A few years ago I was pushed out of my job when MegaCorp wanted to remake the company's demographics, and I didn't fit the demo they were looking for. I looked at the numbers and decided I wasn't unemployed, I was FIREd (Financially Independent; Retired Early). Hence, "FireAway".
geniekid

Post by geniekid »

FelixTheCat wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:47 pm I'm a cat that invests my human's money.
Does that mean a tilt towards tuna stocks?
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

"Stinky" bears some resemblance to my family name. I've proudly used "Stinky" as a nickname ever since childhood.

DW threatened divorce (or at least separation) if I ever used "Stinky" on the personalized license plate on my car. :D
Last edited by Stinky on Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

May have even posted to this thread before, so it should be obvious!

Tim
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

The main character from my favorite TV show. :happy

Though after thinking about it, Hunnicut was probably more likely to be a Boglehead.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

UpsetRaptor wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:28 pm From a random username generator site. Googled an avatar to match.
Exact same here. Needed it for another site once, and I liked it, so it stuck.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

Glockenspiel wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:07 pm
Sconie wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:41 am Sconie-----well, for those of you who aren't from the upper Midwest, that's the nickname for people from WiSCONsin. :happy
I normally add the word "DRUNKEN" in front of it, when I say it. I'm from Minnesota :)
Haha! Good come back! :sharebeer
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

My "username", to me, is a "metaphor".

One of my favorite golf courses in Hawaii is the "Palmer Course" at the Turtle Bay Resort on the Island of Oahu in Hawaii.

It has 70 sandtraps. (no kidding).

I have played it for most of my life and it is still one of my favorite courses.

Like life's struggles and turmoil, just learn how to get out of those sandtraps (challenges) in the best way you can, (wedge or putt).

Because you're not going to get through that course, like life, without having to hack out of yet another "Sandtrap".

It doesn't end until putting out on the 18th hole. Then. . . we're done.

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

geniekid wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:43 pm
FelixTheCat wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:47 pm I'm a cat that invests my human's money.
Does that mean a tilt towards tuna stocks?
Puh-lease. Mahi mahi for this kitty.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

sandramjet wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:06 pm
fishandgolf wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:31 pm True fact..........this past October, while spending a relaxing day on the course, I had the privilege to observe a bald ego soaring in air currents against the blues skies.......very cool indeed
Hmm.... "True Fact" ? Isn't that redundant? If it isn't true, how can it be a fact? :D
Some have spoken of "alternative facts."

(The above is not a political statement that judges whether "alternative facts" are a good thing or bad thing or even a thing. Just a quote.)
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

fishandgolf wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:40 pm I've been frequenting this site for a few months now and have noticed some really "cool, some intriguing, some humorous, some thoughtful and some mysterious USER NAMES. Out of respect for those individuals, I do not want to point out any particular USER NAME. However,without revealing too much about who you are, perhaps a few of you might be willing to share if there is any particular meaning behind your USER NAME.

Mine....."fishandgolf".....pretty simple.....my two favorite hobbies.....Fishing and Golfing :D
My username don’t mean nothin’!
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Sconie......interesting User Name. I'm a Wisconsinite as well...........some folks refer to us a "Cheese Heads" 8-)
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

core4portfolio wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:45 pm Initially Rick's core 4 funds portfolio is what i picked for my portfolio and so name as core4portfolio

total US stock market
total international
total bond
REIT

Later i simplified to 80/20 with just 2 funds - total US stock and total US bond
But havent changed my username. left as is
+1000

Same here.......2 fund portfolio........ :sharebeer
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

fishandgolf wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:28 am
Sconie......interesting User Name. I'm a Wisconsinite as well...........some folks refer to us a "Cheese Heads" 8-)
Yes! Bravo! Cheeseheads!
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
boglesmymind

Post by boglesmymind »

I'm Gobsmacked by this forum!
RightGuard

Post by RightGuard »

I have a habit of picking usernames from objects that are laying on the desk I'm working at. In the past this would serve as the 'hint' or context when I would stumble on one of the MANY logins I have had at work for our innumberable portal apps.

Past nicks include:

dixonticondaroga
procell
medlineremedy
bostitchinspire

and so on...

current one stuck after I started using it for instant messaging apps (oh so long ago) and a lot of my online contacts know me by it.
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Bump......

……..noticed a few new "USERNAME" (s) …….what does it mean?...….please share your thoughts...…... :sharebeer
Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris »

Pin oak (leaf in avatar). House I grew up in had a really nice one in the front yard.

Coincidentally right when I finally signed up to post, someone else started posting with the name Quercus Rubra (red oak).
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

"surfstar"
Created at age 17 when I defined myself as a surfer. ("Its a lifestyle, man")
Also ironically, as I don't pretend to be a "star" at anything.
Been using it for over 20 years now. That's crazy.
birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood »

Macbeth will never be defeated until Birnam Wood marches to fight you at Dunsinane Hill.
Absolutely!

Post by Absolutely! »

When signing up I needed a user name.
I absolutely needed one right then to get signed up.
So here we are.
OhBoyUhoh

Post by OhBoyUhoh »

For me it is a)now living in OH longer than anywhere previously (OHboy), and b) I really worried about my financial situation and thought i was in serious trouble (uhoh). But that angst has been alleviated the more i read this forum and tried to ignore all those in tech making 300 k plus bonuses :oops: and just focusing on my own situation. ~Will
I had money, I had none. I had money, I had none. But I never been so broke that I couldn't leave town. (Jim, Ray, Robby, John)
depressed

Post by depressed »

It is what it is. I have come to live peacefully with it.
tre3sori

Post by tre3sori »

I keep my wealth mostly in 3 strongboxes (Tresor): stocks, bonds, real estate.
The information provided is intended to be entertaining. It is not to be construed as professional advice. Use it at your own risk.
N.Y.Cab

Post by N.Y.Cab »

I just enjoy driving around town on weekends. It’s no problem talking to me.
dvvader

Post by dvvader »

It's a play on my initials and my favorite Star Wars character.
Bogleheads® emphasize regular saving, broad diversification, and sticking to one's investment plan regardless of market conditions.
7th_Diagram

Post by 7th_Diagram »

The 6th was taken... :annoyed
"You have to understand, most people are not ready to be unplugged,and many of them are so injured, so hopelessly dependent upon the system, that they will fight to protect it." | ~Morpheus
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

Self explanatory. Blue collar (warehouse). Me and my spouse have always earned slightly above the average median wage in the US.
H. E. Pennypacker

Post by H. E. Pennypacker »

It is my name. You may have heard of me. I am a wealthy industrialist, philanthropist, and bicyclist.
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

State of bliss or delight. A mythical place that is home of the blessed, final resting place of the pure and heroic.
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

One that nails jello to a tree.
destiny

Post by destiny »

My endless investment questions asking google landed me in bogleheads , first few reads I didn’t understand what this boglehead forum was about.
So, I continued this for several years and bogleheads was one of the top search results but I didn’t dig deep to know about bogleheads.
Over a period of time reading wiki and other articles enlightened me about Index and how to simplify investing. That was my inflection point and spontaneously named destiny as my avatar.
once bitten, twice shy
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Thanks for posting......enjoy reading your thoughts behind selecting your USER NAME....

One USER NAME has me befuddled... jello_nailer
jello_nailer wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:51 pm One that nails jello to a tree.
How does one nail jello to a tree....well not really....I can envision how to do this. However.... Is the jello….in real jello...wiggly form? Is it nailed vertically or horizontally....if so ...does is stay put...or does it collapse and fall off? Or is it Jello in the box/pack and then nailed to the tree?......a real conundrum……

For me.....fishandgolf…. When I signed up, I was full-time retired and DW worked full-time so I had lots of free time (after I completed all the domestic chores of cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc,....etc,...etc...) So I did have plenty of time to fish and golf. So now DW is a few months away from full-time retirement and she doesn't like either fishing or golfing. Might have to change my USER NAME to...….nomorefishandgolf……... :sharebeer
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

Yes, real jello in its wiggly form. It's hard to do. Comes from a past life.
Frankly, it just sounds more bad a$$ and better than Jello Velcro'er, which probably would be a more efficient way of doing things.
zeal

Post by zeal »

I have a tendency to obsess and attack things with 200% focus/fervor/tenacity--my financial spreadsheets being Exhibit A. I'm also a Christian so I wanted to choose a name with a slight religious implication. In reality I'm not much of a zealot when it comes to religion--I mostly let people do people and I do me. If someone asks about my beliefs I'll share but otherwise I don't push.

Also, the first video game I ever really enjoyed was Diablo II, in which my favorite character type was a Paladin, and my favorite skill to use was called Zeal. I haven't played the game in years but I still remember the sound the skill made. I've always liked the idea of holy warriors.
earningaverage

Post by earningaverage »

I didn't come up with my username until after a year or so of reading this wonderful site. I chose it because I feel pretty self-conscious about my earnings and assets when reading some other people's posts!
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Mine is obvious. Though we have had very wonderful lives in most all areas, it is not due to being a wizard of any sort. Hopefully, it reflects a level of appreciation and a lack of "Airs," as my mom used to say when encouraging to not think too highly of oneself.

Tim
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

yangtui means lamb leg in chinese. eating roasted lamb legs with wine outside during the summer with good friends in china is one of my favorite things to do. :sharebeer :sharebeer
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I chose the user name of one of my favorite authors. (Hope he doesn't mind!) 😊
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Not Jacob Fugger

Post by Not Jacob Fugger »

Jakob Fugger II aka “the Rich” (Jacob in my Americanized version) was a wealthy merchant, entrepreneur and investor. Sometimes known as the “Richest Man in the World.” I am none of these things. Ergo my user name.
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:53 pm I chose the user name of one of my favorite authors. (Hope he doesn't mind!) 😊

+1000

He's one of my favorite authors also..... :beer
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

fishandgolf wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:07 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:53 pm I chose the user name of one of my favorite authors. (Hope he doesn't mind!) 😊

+1000

He's one of my favorite authors also..... :beer
Thanks a bunch.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

My username is my real name. Why? Because my parents taught me to always stand behind what I say or write.

Best wishes
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Do what's right. If you are not sure, ask your boss."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 »

Remember “Brown Eyed Girl” by Van Morrison?
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

BrownEyedGirl_27 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:47 pm Remember “Brown Eyed Girl” by Van Morrison?
I remember when we used to sing...
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki