Invest in career change to Accounting for 37 yr old? Would it be foolish?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Invest in career change to Accounting for 37 yr old? Would it be foolish?

Post by lostinthesauce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:22 am

I currently hold an associates of business administration with a graduation date of 2006. I've been a CNC machinist/programmer for the past few years and find production work extremely unfulfilling. I've pretty much already topped out on pay and feel stagnant knowing I have 27 more years or so until retirement. Math, finance, and computers are what really interest me and I like the field of accounting; although, I have no experience working in it. I was hoping some of the users here on bogleheads might be able to share some insight on what it's like to be an accounting major. What specialties are there within this degree path? What are the higher paying jobs and what would I need to take in school to get the most out of this career change? I have the opportunity to attend a state school with tuition of around 10k a year and hopefully can finance this education with student loans. At this point, I'd like to earn a Master's degree, but would the extra cost/time be worth the return? What are the best career opportunities for a person who majors in accounting, considering advancement opportunities, level of stress, work/life balance, and of course pay?

My wife has a great and stable career in the non profit education field with a bachelors in early childhood education. We don't have any children and probably won't for the near future. Accounting was my initial major while attending school for the associates. I was just too young at the time and wanted to pursue other career directions instead of sticking with accounting. Looking back, I wish I would have stayed in school and completed the bachelor's degree.

I'm hoping for some good feedback here and greatly value your perspectives.

BlueCable

Re: Invest in career change to Accounting for 37 yr old? Would it be foolish?

Post by BlueCable » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:26 am

Have you considered becoming a software developer?

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:28 am

My wife says passing the CPA exams was one of the hardest things she ever had to do. Solid earning potential, though. And every company needs accountants, so jobs are everywhere. I don't see why 37 would be too late. The downside is long hours during month end close. You can forget taking vacations the first week of any month.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:32 am

OP,

1) How much do you get paid now? This answer is relevant. Because you may not get paid more even if you get a master degree.

2) It probably makes a lot more sense to finish up a bachelor degree in Business with 2 more years.

3) What is CNC? Can you leverage this and get into data science with a BA/BS in Business?

KlangFool

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:33 am

KyleAAA wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:28 am
My wife says passing the CPA exams was one of the hardest things she ever had to do. Solid earning potential, though. And every company needs accountants, so jobs are everywhere. I don't see why 37 would be too late. The downside is long hours during month end close. You can forget taking vacations the first week of any month.
KyleAAA,

The problem is OP may not be paid more with a CPA. So, why bother?

KlangFool

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:34 am

BlueCable wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:26 am
About a year ago I toyed with the idea of getting into a software engineering program. To me, it seems that software developers are the current trend and also a fairly volatile career path working for start-ups at least. Thank you for the input though..

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:39 am

lostinthesauce wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:22 am
I like the field of accounting
Are you sure?

One of the hot topics in accounting right now is new FASB guidance on lease expense recognition.

Give this page-turner a read and let us know how far you get before you nod off.

https://www.pwc.com/us/en/cfodirect/ass ... -guide.pdf

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:41 am

I am not an accountant, but I'm in an IT field that supports them so I spend a lot of time around accountants. If you like math, finance, and solving problems with computers, you are unlikely to get a lot of joy from accounting as a career.

My observation is that most people who work in accounting are effectively data clerks rather than accountants. Business accounting as it's regularly practiced contains little advanced math and lots of button-clicking. Further up the food chain, I recently spent time with two very smart senior accountants, both CPAs with 10 years of experience. Their day-to-day was mostly composed of reviewing the work of others for accuracy and going to meetings where leadership who did not understand math or accounting asked them to justify why the numbers were what they were.

Accountants use computers as tools but they seldom get to do the programming or use the software creatively. Sarbanes-Oxley has done good things for markets, by narrowing the opportunities for corporate fraud. But it has made life much worse for accountants, because of the need for repetitive human controls on all financial processes.

The exception may be folks working for public accounting firms. While it's a brutal grind that eventually forces 80+% of them out, that job is more like consulting and if you last long enough you may get to creatively solve interesting financial problems.

Unfortunately most of the one year MAc degrees, which are the cost effective ones which open doors, require a bachelor's in anything as a prerequisite. You may find one which will let you in after you complete some accounting coursework at a community college and that might let you try it out without having to stop working at your current job. Under no circumstances should you go back for a full-time bachelor's in accounting, as you'll spend way too much relative to salaries.

If you have programming skills, what about becoming a developer and looking for work in the fintech industry?

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:46 am

KlangFool wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:32 am
OP,

1) How much do you get paid now? This answer is relevant. Because you may not get paid more even if you get a master degree.

2) It probably makes a lot more sense to finish up a bachelor degree in Business with 2 more years.

3) What is CNC? Can you leverage this and get into data science with a BA/BS in Business?

KlangFool
Keep in mind I'm in a very low cost of living area when reading about my pay.

1) $24 per hr, but I earn decent money yearly by crap-tons of overtime. My education was irrelevant when obtaining this position. Industry knowledge is the key to marketability.

2) Business seems like such a broad and unfocused education to pay for. Everyone and their brother has a business degree it seems.

3) CNC stands for computer numeric control. I program and operate a lathe that shapes metal by spinning and cutting it with tools. I'm just burned out doing this because it's basically the same kind of thing everyday, just a different shape. Programming is only interesting when you are still learning it. Once you know it, it's just like reading a book.

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:49 am

what is your total annual comp? accounting has overtime as well, just dont expect to be paid for it though. pivoting into accounting might mean you end up taking a pay cut. it is not necessarily a high paying field unless you can get into manager level roles which usually takes 5+ years of grinding.
Last edited by yangtui on Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

bck63

Post by bck63 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:51 am

KlangFool wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:33 am
KyleAAA wrote:
KyleAAA,

KlangFool
I switched careers, from public relations to nursing, when I was 37. It took me ten years as a nurse to get back to what I was making in PR. Yet from the very beginning, I have had infinitely more abundance as a nurse. More fulfillment. More financial freedom, with significantly less money. No way to explain it, other than to say the universe seems to take care of us when we go where we are called. This is difficult to explain to someone who has not experienced it.

It's not all about the money.

OP, if you feel drawn to become an accountant, go for it.

BlueCable

Post by BlueCable » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:52 am

lostinthesauce wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:34 am
BlueCable wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:26 am
About a year ago I toyed with the idea of getting into a software engineering program. To me, it seems that software developers are the current trend and also a fairly volatile career path working for start-ups at least. Thank you for the input though..
Working for startups is volatile, not software development.

I live in a mid-sized Midwestern city and there is lots of demand for software developers. Sure, there are startups, but also financial industries and manufacturers where you can have a nice 9-5 for your career.

I know some people that have been successful doing a 6 month boot camp rather than a degree. Depends on what kind of career you want and what the industries in your area look for.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:54 am

My step-mother is a CPA. She's been doing it for 40+ years and owns her own small 2 person firm. She's retiring this year.

I don't think there is a lot of problem solving. I think it's more of a very cyclical industry. You know what you have to do and when you have to do it every month, quarter, and year. She chases clients down to get numbers a lot.

I own a small web design for and employee web developers. It's small and I don't pay well because I can't. They typically can get $60K to $100K in an urban area near me. But, with software development, it can be wishy/washy depending on the projects. In the past, even as a small firm, I've outsourced development to India and Russia.

I know what CNC is. I've designed marketing materials for CNC manufacturers in my lifetime. You've topped out your pay and you know exactly how to do every project that rolls through.

It sounds like you like working with your hands and problem solving...so maybe look at another high paying trade like Electrician. Either commercial or residential electrical work can include problem solving, blueprint reading/design, etc and it's a good paying job.

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:54 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:39 am
lostinthesauce wrote:
Are you sure?

One of the hot topics in accounting right now is new FASB guidance on lease expense recognition.

Give this page-turner a read and let us know how far you get before you nod off.

Good Lord, that is a long pdf!

Isn't it true that I wouldn't necessarily need to know everything as long as I knew where to find the information?

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:56 am

lostinthesauce wrote:
I've been a CNC machinist/programmer for the past few years and find production work extremely unfulfilling. I've pretty much already topped out on pay and feel stagnant knowing I have 27 more years or so until retirement. Math, finance, and computers are what really interest me and I like the field of accounting; although, I have no experience working in it.
When I was in college one of my roommates was a slightly older student who had become a machinist that made plastic injection molds.

He returned to school to become a mechanical engineer since he said that most of the engineers that designed plastic parts "had their heads up their %$#"" and didn't know the first thing about the actual making the of the dies or production work. His plan was become a mechanical engineer that specializes in that.

I graduated before him and I lost touch with him but my impression was that he was likely going to do very well.

Have you considered getting a mechanical engineering degree instead?

Before I retired I was worked in corporate IT but I often worked with corporate accountants. One thing to realize is that a lot of them are low level workers that may not earn as much as you might think since in some ways they are glorified bookkeepers. Many if not most accountants are not high paid CPAs or executives so be sure to look at the starting salary you can expect as an accountant, not the median salary.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:00 am

lostinthesauce wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:46 am
KlangFool wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:32 am
OP,

KlangFool
Keep in mind I'm in a very low cost of living area when reading about my pay.

1) $24 per hr, but I earn decent money yearly by crap-tons of overtime. My education was irrelevant when obtaining this position. Industry knowledge is the key to marketability.

2) Business seems like such a broad and unfocused education to pay for. Everyone and their brother has a business degree it seems.

3) CNC stands for computer numeric control. I program and operate a lathe that shapes metal by spinning and cutting it with tools. I'm just burned out doing this because it's basically the same kind of thing everyday, just a different shape. Programming is only interesting when you are still learning it. Once you know it, it's just like reading a book.
lostinthesauce,

1) That means you do not get paid very well at per hour rate.

2) It is up to you to pick the courses that you like and focus. It may sound unfair but in many places, you need a degree to get in. What you actually learn is irrelevant.

3) If you think CNC is boring, try accounting.

KlangFool

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:01 am

Tamarind wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:41 am
If you have programming skills, what about becoming a developer and looking for work in the fintech industry?
Thank you for all the information. I'm only experienced in "g-code". It's fairly simple and very basic. I cannot imagine what it's like to write true computer code for software. What's your career like in the IT field?

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:02 am

KlangFool wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
KyleAAA,

KlangFool
Why do you say that KlangFool? Depending on industry, the opportunities for those with a CPA will be greater. Career track for those with a CPA - audit, move into a private/public company - assistant controller, controller, treasurer, chief financial officer, business development, president, ceo. That's one track. Another track - accountant, budget/planning/forecasting, chief financial officer. As you move up the chain, you will be paid more. Another track - accountant, management consultant, senior consultant, partner.

Okay, not everyone is going to make it to CFO, President or CEO ~ but there is a path. Now, the downside to accounting - true, month-end close you can forget taking off the last and first weeks of any given month. If you are in budgeting/planning and work for a company following a calendar year - the process begins in September and may not be finalized until late November (plan on some long hours). Which functions are promising - technology auditing (having the CPA will help you as will your interest in CS). Which functions to avoid - outsourcing to artificial intelligence and lower cost locales overseas, examples are accounts payable, accounts receivable, junior jobs that require repetitive journal entries. You don't want to be bottle-nosed into an A/P, A/R job for an entire career. Also, jobs are everywhere - not exactly, there are jobs but they are not immune to economic downturns, accountants lose jobs too!

OP - it's never too late, but if you are going for 4 year degree, go the extra mile and get that CPA even if it requires an extra year of studying.
BTW, I have friends of mine who became CPA's, became bored and transitioned into other fields unrelated to accounting. Yes, you can be bored in accounting too - especially if you are just reviewing page after page of journal entries and cross checking late into the evenings and weekends.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:04 am

The good thing about getting an accounting degree is that you know what you will do after graduation.

The bad thing about getting an accounting degree is that you will be an accountant.

In all seriousness, even if took 3-4 years to get the accounting degree, you'd still have a good ~25 years before reaching traditional retirement age. If you would be happy with such a career move and it would allow you to meet your financial goals, go for it.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:07 am

KlangFool wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:00 am

KlangFool
Any field can be boring, if you have no interest in it. It's clear you have no interest in it KlangFool, but honestly, if it weren't for the accountants, especially those who certify the financial statements, would you have as much confidence as you do in your retirement fund? Do you think investment managers are verifying the financial statements are legit? Yes, it's boring and essential at the same time. And, there is no job that does not have some negative aspects to it.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:08 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:07 am
KlangFool wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:00 am

KlangFool
Any field can be boring, if you have no interest in it. It's clear you have no interest in it KlangFool, but honestly, if it weren't for the accountants, especially those who certify the financial statements, would you have as much confidence as you do in your retirement fund? Do you think investment managers are verifying the financial statements are legit? Yes, it's boring and essential at the same time. And, there is no job that does not have some negative aspects to it.
Agreed. It's all about what floats your boat. I can think of many careers that would be boring to me, at least as much as accounting.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:09 am

yangtui wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:49 am
what is your total annual comp? accounting has overtime as well, just dont expect to be paid for it though. pivoting into accounting might mean you end up taking a pay cut. it is not necessarily a high paying field unless you can get into manager level roles which usually takes 5+ years of grinding.
Around 62k on a good year, spending most of my life at a machine shop.

Crappy benefits consisting on health/dental and that's it. 2 weeks vacation that I basically have to beg for and justify reasoning to get.

No retirement plan what so ever where I'm at currently. The owner runs his business as a communist for lack of better words and his own son is who told me that. lol

I've worked at other places with better benefits, but all in all it's the same song and dance.

It sounds like the consensus feels that accounting is no good for my interests. What are some other career paths that line up better with what I seem to be looking for?

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:12 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:02 am
KlangFool wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
KyleAAA,

KlangFool
Why do you say that KlangFool? Depending on industry, the opportunities for those with a CPA will be greater.
Grt2bOutdoors,

1) OP needs to get an accounting degree.

2) OP needs to compete and get an accounting job to be a CPA.

3) OP has to compete with other CPAs in order to win those opportunities.

At (2) or (3), OP will be 40+ years with minimal accounting experience and trying to compete with all other younger folks.

KlangFool

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:13 am

bck63 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:51 am
I switched careers, from public relations to nursing, when I was 37. It took me ten years as a nurse to get back to what I was making in PR. Yet from the very beginning, I have had infinitely more abundance as a nurse. More fulfillment. More financial freedom, with significantly less money. No way to explain it, other than to say the universe seems to take care of us when we go where we are called. This is difficult to explain to someone who has not experienced it.

It's not all about the money.

OP, if you feel drawn to become an accountant, go for it.
Thank you! I appreciate your perspective very much.

bernoulli

Post by bernoulli » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:13 am

I can empathize. That feeling of "this is it for the rest of my career?" can be troubling. Also the fact that you started out pursuing accounting also necessitates some closure.

A few good friends of mine are accountants. They achieve life/work balance after spending many years (> 10 years) at the big four firms earning their dues. My understanding is that you want to build your resume at one of the big four firms to land somewhere comfortable. The price you pay is the grueling hours at big four. As far as I can tell, there is no life at big four, only work, but you need that one your resume to land somewhere nice.

Would it be possible to try it out part-time? Be a part-time student for accounting. Talk to the professors and upper level students, that way, you get a feel of whether this is the right path for you. You feel like you are not challenged at work in any case, so taking some classes would bring back the intellectual stimulation at the very least - even if it does not ultimately result in the career change you are thinking about at this moment.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:16 am

lostinthesauce wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:09 am
yangtui wrote:

Crappy benefits consisting on health/dental and that's it. 2 weeks vacation that I basically have to beg for and justify reasoning to get.

No retirement plan what so ever where I'm at currently. The owner runs his business as a communist for lack of better words and his own son is who told me that. lol

I've worked at other places with better benefits, but all in all it's the same song and dance.

It sounds like the consensus feels that accounting is no good for my interests. What are some other career paths that line up better with what I seem to be looking for?
If you want to make $62K as an accountant, you'll need that CPA designation.
If you think you won't find the same song and dance at other companies - you will. If it's not benefits, it will be politics.
Can you find another employer with better benefits? If not, decide what it is you want - i don't recommend a BA/BS in business administration. When you come out, you will likely not find a job that begins with the title manager. And if you do, you don't want it to read as something that you do not need a degree for.

How do you feel about healthcare? Perhaps become an RN - don't knock it, it's a promising field and its difficult to have your job outsourced, though you still can lose a job if the place of employment downsizes or shuts down.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:17 am

lostinthesauce wrote:
yangtui wrote:

lostinthesauce,

You should look into getting an associate degree in robotics and/or mechanical engineering. Aka, programming robots for the factory. It looks like you might be a good fit for that area. And, they are very lucrative.

KlangFool

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:18 am

BlueCable wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:52 am
Working for startups is volatile, not software development.

I live in a mid-sized Midwestern city and there is lots of demand for software developers. Sure, there are startups, but also financial industries and manufacturers where you can have a nice 9-5 for your career.

I know some people that have been successful doing a 6 month boot camp rather than a degree. Depends on what kind of career you want and what the industries in your area look for.
I do like the idea of 9-5.. What is the job competition like? What does it take, education-wise, to become a developer? What are the actual job titles associated with software developer? How about pay?

renue74

Post by renue74 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:20 am

KlangFool wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:17 am
lostinthesauce wrote:
yangtui wrote:

lostinthesauce,

You should look into getting an associate degree in robotics and/or mechanical engineering. Aka, programming robots for the factory. It looks like you might be a fit for that area. And, they are very lucrative.

KlangFool
+1 Robotics

Also, 3D printing and electrician are possible outlets.

Not saying you want to do this, but plumbers will be in high demand for the next 10 years.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:21 am

lostinthesauce wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:54 am
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
lostinthesauce wrote:
Are you sure?

Isn't it true that I wouldn't necessarily need to know everything as long as I knew where to find the information?
If your boss asked you whether a lease is a capital expense or an operating expense, do you really want to say “let me look that up for you”?

The point is as an accountant these kinds of topics will fill up your 9-5. Some people love it and would be writing blogs about it in their free time, would you?
Last edited by HEDGEFUNDIE on Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:21 am

OP,

If you provide some names of the community colleges around you, we might be able to show you some of the technical degrees that you should look into.

KlangFool

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:24 am

KlangFool wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:12 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
KyleAAA,

KlangFool
Why do you say that KlangFool? Depending on industry, the opportunities for those with a CPA will be greater.
Grt2bOutdoors,

OP has 2 years of general requisites under belt, now OP needs to decide if they truly want to follow the accounting track. If so, the next 2-3 years will mostly pure accounting courses. I hold an accounting degree, the classes most aren't amused with are "cost accounting" - that is well, boring and definitely not exciting unless you want to work in manufacturing.
KlangFool - in any degree you major in, you will need to compete against your peers. You don't need to get the accounting job to sit for the CPA if you have the necessary degree and classes taken, what you need though is the requisite experience to have the license issued. There are firms, which will hire folks who've passed the exam and are now looking to apprentice rather than the traditional, work first, take exam and then get license.
And in life, KlangFool, you are competing each and every single day with your colleagues and peers, if you don't do your job, you will be out of one. There are few employers who hire for life and will keep you if you are incompetent. I'm not saying its a cakewalk, it isn't and you may be toiling in a job for a long time before opportunity comes a knocking.
At (2) or (3), OP will be 40+ years with minimal accounting experience and trying to compete with all other younger folks.
If you think ageism is real, go work in the technology field. What other fields do you suggest he major in at his age?
KlangFool

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:28 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:24 am
KlangFool wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
KyleAAA,

KlangFool
Grt2bOutdoors,

OP has 2 years of general requisites under belt, now OP needs to decide if they truly want to follow the accounting track. If so, the next 2-3 years will mostly pure accounting courses. I hold an accounting degree, the classes most aren't amused with are "cost accounting" - that is well, boring and definitely not exciting unless you want to work in manufacturing.
KlangFool - in any degree you major in, you will need to compete against your peers. You don't need to get the accounting job to sit for the CPA if you have the necessary degree and classes taken, what you need though is the requisite experience to have the license issued. There are firms, which will hire folks who've passed the exam and are now looking to apprentice rather than the traditional, work first, take exam and then get license.
And in life, KlangFool, you are competing each and every single day with your colleagues and peers, if you don't do your job, you will be out of one. There are few employers who hire for life and will keep you if you are incompetent. I'm not saying its a cakewalk, it isn't and you may be toiling in a job for a long time before opportunity comes a knocking.
If you think ageism is real, go work in the technology field. What other fields do you suggest he major in at his age?
KlangFool
Grt2bOutdoors,

<<What other fields do you suggest he major in at his age?>>

Robotics: where his machinist background is a significant advantage. And, he may not need more than a 2 years /associate degree.

KlangFool

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:31 am

KlangFool wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:28 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:24 am
KlangFool wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
KlangFool wrote:

KyleAAA,

KlangFool
Grt2bOutdoors,

KlangFool
Grt2bOutdoors,

<<What other fields do you suggest he major in at his age?>>

Robotics: where his machinist background is a significant advantage. And, he may not need more than a 2 years /associate degree.

KlangFool
That is a very good suggestion. OP - why not pursue robotics?

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:32 am

renue74 wrote:
It sounds like you like working with your hands and problem solving...so maybe look at another high paying trade like Electrician. Either commercial or residential electrical work can include problem solving, blueprint reading/design, etc and it's a good paying job.
I'm entirely not interested in any more blue collar jobs at this point, not that there's anything wrong with it. I have become a jack of many trades over the years and am just done with spending my life doing these tasks in exchange for pay.

I wonder what it's like to wear a nice suit and tie to work and stay clean all day. My family has always been in trade businesses and I'd like to change that, finally. I'm sure this all comes off bad, but those are some things that matter to me, deep down. I'd like to be more involved IN the business itself and less with producing products to substantiate sales. I really enjoy creating businesses, but it always seems like I'm missing a trait or 2 to be a successful business owner. I also don't care much for managing a shop as I've done that a couple times in the past. I'm more of an introvert for what it's worth.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:40 am

lostinthesauce wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:32 am
renue74 wrote:
I'm entirely not interested in any more blue collar jobs at this point, not that there's anything wrong with it. I have become a jack of many trades over the years and am just done with spending my life doing these tasks in exchange for pay.

I wonder what it's like to wear a nice suit and tie to work and stay clean all day. My family has always been in trade businesses and I'd like to change that, finally. I'm sure this all comes off bad, but those are some things that matter to me, deep down. I'd like to be more involved IN the business itself and less with producing products to substantiate sales. I really enjoy creating businesses, but it always seems like I'm missing a trait or 2 to be a successful business owner. I also don't care much for managing a shop as I've done that a couple times in the past. I'm more of an introvert for what it's worth.
If you become an accountant, you will NOT be involved IN the business. You will be viewed as overhead and a particular function, and that's all you will do, day in and day out - debit/credit or credit/debit. You will not be creating anything except journal entries or presentations/reports because someone asked you or told you to do it. You will deal with personalities that don't appreciate your input, they just want the report in a timely fashion. What your wrote above does not sound like you should become an accountant. However, you may want to consider a business development role or sales job. The issue there is if you do not produce you will be out of work, but if you do produce you may find more opportunities available both inside or outside that company and you will be rewarded for it. I must say that certain blue collar work is very profitable, plumbing and electrical come to mind, general contracting if the economy is good or your work is hands/feet above the competition - your clients will seek you out.

Could you not pursue something more rewarding and create your businesses on the side?
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:41 am

Watty wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:56 am
I absolutely have considered becoming a mechanical and even a petroleum engineer. It's the length and cost of schooling that intimidates me. Does anyone have any insight on this idea? It's actually very appealing thinking about it and will always be in high demand. I'm sure the compensation of a seasoned engineer will be higher than a person working in the accounting field. My wife's friend's husband started working for rolls royce about a year ago and is a mechanical engineer. Sadly though, he had zero experience with hands-on application working on the floor of a shop. I suppose he could be a mentor in pursing this idea.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:47 am

lostinthesauce wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:41 am
Watty wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:56 am
I absolutely have considered becoming a mechanical and even a petroleum engineer. It's the length and cost of schooling that intimidates me. Does anyone have any insight on this idea? It's actually very appealing thinking about it and will always be in high demand. I'm sure the compensation of a seasoned engineer will be higher than a person working in the accounting field. My wife's friend's husband started working for rolls royce about a year ago and is a mechanical engineer. Sadly though, he had zero experience with hands-on application working on the floor of a shop. I suppose he could be a mentor in pursing this idea.
lostinthesauce,

You could start with an associate/2 years degree in the mechanical engineering area. That would give you an immediate boost to your career opportunity. Then, you can get your future employer to pay for your 4 years degree.

KlangFool

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:50 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
OP - it's never too late, but if you are going for 4 year degree, go the extra mile and get that CPA even if it requires an extra year of studying.
BTW, I have friends of mine who became CPA's, became bored and transitioned into other fields unrelated to accounting. Yes, you can be bored in accounting too - especially if you are just reviewing page after page of journal entries and cross checking late into the evenings and weekends.
Thanks for your lengthy reply! I like how you listed both the pros and cons.

So what do some of you higher paid individuals do for a living? Do you enjoy it and is it fulfilling?

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:53 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:04 am
The good thing about getting an accounting degree is that you know what you will do after graduation.

The bad thing about getting an accounting degree is that you will be an accountant.
I laughed hard and long after reading that. Thanks! lol :D

Pacman

Post by Pacman » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:54 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:21 am
lostinthesauce wrote:
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
lostinthesauce wrote:
Are you sure?

If your boss asked you whether a lease is a capital expense or an operating expense, do you really want to say “let me look that up for you”?

The point is as an accountant these kinds of topics will fill up your 9-5. Some people love it and would be writing blogs about it in their free time, would you?
Hedgefundie, for someone who is not an accountant or a CPA, you sure have a lot of opinions on what accountants spend their time doing. The field is pretty broad and the areas of specialization are abundant - forensic accounting, sec reporting, technical accounting, cost accounting, controllership type roles, various niches in tax (individual, partnership, corporate, HNWI, international/transfer price, boutique firms that serve only specific industries) & the list goes on. Many accountants/CPAs do accounting roles for a few years and then branch out to other areas like FP&A, operations, treasury, etc. The one positive thing about the profession is that I do think its a meritocracy for the most part and you can work your way up to higher compensation if you desire.

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:03 am

bernoulli wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:13 am
I can empathize. That feeling of "this is it for the rest of my career?" can be troubling. Also the fact that you started out pursuing accounting also necessitates some closure.

A few good friends of mine are accountants. They achieve life/work balance after spending many years (> 10 years) at the big four firms earning their dues. My understanding is that you want to build your resume at one of the big four firms to land somewhere comfortable. The price you pay is the grueling hours at big four. As far as I can tell, there is no life at big four, only work, but you need that one your resume to land somewhere nice.

Would it be possible to try it out part-time? Be a part-time student for accounting. Talk to the professors and upper level students, that way, you get a feel of whether this is the right path for you. You feel like you are not challenged at work in any case, so taking some classes would bring back the intellectual stimulation at the very least - even if it does not ultimately result in the career change you are thinking about at this moment.
You are pretty much spot-on with everything.. I am already leaning away from accounting based on the feedback from bogleheads and I'm glad for that insight. I wasn't aware of many things that were brought up and it's weighing heavily on my thoughts. You mentioned intellectual stimulation and that in itself is what I feel I'm in need of. Thank you.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:07 am

Pacman wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:54 am
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
lostinthesauce wrote:
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
lostinthesauce wrote:
Are you sure?

Hedgefundie, for someone who is not an accountant or a CPA, you sure have a lot of opinions on what accountants spend their time doing. The field is pretty broad and the areas of specialization are abundant - forensic accounting, sec reporting, technical accounting, cost accounting, controllership type roles, various niches in tax (individual, partnership, corporate, HNWI, international/transfer price, boutique firms that serve only specific industries) & the list goes on. Many accountants/CPAs do accounting roles for a few years and then branch out to other areas like FP&A, operations, treasury, etc. The one positive thing about the profession is that I do think its a meritocracy for the most part and you can work your way up to higher compensation if you desire.
And what exactly in what I said contradicts your point that accountants specialize? Do you disagree that passion is important in what one does, regardless of the specialty?

If you are so familiar with the field, why don’t you add value to this thread by describing for the OP the value drivers of each of those accounting specialities, for him to decide whether its something he can sink his teeth into?
Last edited by HEDGEFUNDIE on Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:08 am

What are your writing skills like? Another field worth investigating is becoming a business analyst. If you are wanting to be involved in the problems of the business itself, this is what BAs are working on. In the technology area, developers often don't really know much about how what they are working on get used; they are all about the code. BAs know all about the problems that need to be solved but aren't the ones actually fixing the problem. BAs tend to have a pretty good diversity of work and education background, but good communication skills are critical.

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:09 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:16 am
If you think you won't find the same song and dance at other companies - you will. If it's not benefits, it will be politics.
Can you find another employer with better benefits? If not, decide what it is you want - i don't recommend a BA/BS in business administration. When you come out, you will likely not find a job that begins with the title manager. And if you do, you don't want it to read as something that you do not need a degree for.

How do you feel about healthcare? Perhaps become an RN - don't knock it, it's a promising field and its difficult to have your job outsourced, though you still can lose a job if the place of employment downsizes or shuts down.
Honestly, I'm hoping to find a career path leading to 100k per year or greater being that I'd be investing a lot of money in education. As with investing, I want to maximize my returns. If I'm going to spend another 20-40k in education, I want to be in a field that pays HIGH! I was obviously wrong about accounting.

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:12 am

KlangFool wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:17 am
lostinthesauce,

You should look into getting an associate degree in robotics and/or mechanical engineering. Aka, programming robots for the factory. It looks like you might be a good fit for that area. And, they are very lucrative.

KlangFool
Very good idea Klangfool. Robots are slowly taking over many of the jobs of the machinist. Manufactures will always need someone qualified to program the robotic arms and such.

Mlm

Post by Mlm » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:18 am

I never went to college until I was 27 and finished up my accounting degree when I was 34. (3.84 GPA) I worked full time and took night classes for seven years. During this time I worked with a lot of CPA's and decided that I didn't want to go the tax or audit route. Yup, they were boring people :happy

At that point I left my secure and low paying gov't job (15 yrs) and went to work for a bank (1 year) and then for a medical practice (2 years)
I landed my final job at a medical facility where I went from Accountant ->Controller ->CFO -> Sr. V.P of Finance. (27 years).

I absolutely loved my job and was never bored. Taking time off was difficult but the higher I progressed the easier it got. Ageism doesn't seem to be a problem in my field.

If accounting is something that you know that you would enjoy I say go for it. Maybe take a few night courses and see what you think. Good Luck !

Mary

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:21 am

KlangFool wrote:
OP,

If you provide some names of the community colleges around you, we might be able to show you some of the technical degrees that you should look into.

KlangFool
I'm a 15-20 minute drive from Ball State University in Muncie, IN. There is a school called Ivy Tech that is more into vocational courses, but people attend there to learn how to do what I currently do for a living. I did not invest in education to get into my field. I was the first person to make a perfect score on the companies entrance test and started on the floor cleaning machines. One day the CNC dept manager saw my efforts and invited me to work along side him. He personally trained me over a 2-3 month period and the rest is history. I took the ball and ran with it.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:29 am

lostinthesauce wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:21 am
KlangFool wrote:
OP,

KlangFool
I'm a 15-20 minute drive from Ball State University in Muncie, IN. There is a school called Ivy Tech that is more into vocational courses, but people attend there to learn how to do what I currently do for a living. I did not invest in education to get into my field. I was the first person to make a perfect score on the companies entrance test and started on the floor cleaning machines. One day the CNC dept manager saw my efforts and invited me to work along side him. He personally trained me over a 2-3 month period and the rest is history. I took the ball and ran with it.
Then, check out the robotics program at that school.

KlangFool

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:33 am

lostinthesauce wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:09 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:16 am

Honestly, I'm hoping to find a career path leading to 100k per year or greater being that I'd be investing a lot of money in education. As with investing, I want to maximize my returns. If I'm going to spend another 20-40k in education, I want to be in a field that pays HIGH! I was obviously wrong about accounting.
lostinthesauce,

As per my understanding, a robotics programmer makes that kind of money easily. But, I am not familiar with your specific part of the USA. Check out the jobs in your areas and find out how much they are paid.

KlangFool