Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
NJdad6

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by NJdad6 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:03 am

randomguy wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:54 pm
NJdad6 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:43 pm

Other models are way ahead of their competition. Kia Stinger/Genesis G70 are consistently rated some of he best vehicles available. The Stinger was Motor Weeks drivers car of the year beating out Porsche, BMW, etc. The G70 is the NA auto show car of the year (Kona is SUV of the year). Well equipped these are both in the $40-45k range.
You always need to look at the criteria for awards. A lot of times they are more for being note worthy than eing good. The Volt, prius, and Model S won a lot of car of the year awards because of how innovative they were as much as how good of car they were. I wouldnt let any of them influence a buying choice.

That being said I cant wait to drive the kona electric. Have a feeling it is a size too small for me but I would a lifted hatchback that was an EV.
Of course. Awards are fine but read the reviews and do your research. Point is Kia/Hyundai vehicles are being recognized as best in class. I have not seen a review (professional or otherwise) that does not rave about the Stinger or G70. However these reviews all focus on performance, build quality, etc. Too soon to know about reliability, issues,etc.

tydas

Post by tydas » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:17 am

eye.surgeon wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:10 pm
Hyundai, and Kia in particular, have terrible resale value. Total cost of ownership can be equal to or more than an equivalent Toyota or Honda with that factored in. I suspect this will change over the next decade as their quality gains more recognition, but right now a used Kia is pretty much worth scrap.
This can be mitigated if you get a good price on the car, keep it for 10 years and do not have any major repairs to deal with. I bought a Kia Optima for a good price and plan to keep for 10 years, keeping my fingers crossed! The car has been fantastic after 12,000 miles, drives and handles great.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:26 am

dabrian wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:03 am
Any Genesis owners here? Looking at 2015 models with the V6 with 30k-40k miles can be had for 20k or maybe even less. Can the V6 run on E87? Any known issues I should be aware of?
My parents have a 2012 Hyundai Genesis (first generation), which they absolutely love. I think they're up at 70k miles already. They have the 3.8 and definitely run it on 87 octane, as that is what the manual calls for. I believe this is the same for the 3.3.

It isn't clear if you're asking if that's possible, or if it can run on E85 (85% ethanol). It cannot, E10 is the maximum allowed per the manual.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:01 am

eye.surgeon wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:10 pm
Hyundai, and Kia in particular, have terrible resale value. Total cost of ownership can be equal to or more than an equivalent Toyota or Honda with that factored in. I suspect this will change over the next decade as their quality gains more recognition, but right now a used Kia is pretty much worth scrap.
Total cost of ownership depends on one's own driving patterns. If you intend to keep the car until it falls apart, resale value doesn't matter. Actually, I suppose it might make sense to get Kia products since they may be cheaper than Hyundai products even if the platform is very similar.

CJCorcoran

Post by CJCorcoran » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:10 am

I would encourage everyone to check out Phil Edmonston's Lemon-Aid New/Used Car Guide. It's Canadian, but applicable to US customers, too. It's been around for decades and they publish yearly updated. They seem to believe that certain Hyundai models -- think Elantra and Sonata -- can be the sweet spot for price and value.

https://www.amazon.com/Lemon-Aid-Used-T ... way&sr=8-1

dabrian

Post by dabrian » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:28 am

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:26 am
dabrian wrote:
Any Genesis owners here? Looking at 2015 models with the V6 with 30k-40k miles can be had for 20k or maybe even less. Can the V6 run on E87? Any known issues I should be aware of?
My parents have a 2012 Hyundai Genesis (first generation), which they absolutely love. I think they're up at 70k miles already. They have the 3.8 and definitely run it on 87 octane, as that is what the manual calls for. I believe this is the same for the 3.3.

It isn't clear if you're asking if that's possible, or if it can run on E85 (85% ethanol). It cannot, E10 is the maximum allowed per the manual.
Wasn't sure if 87 octane was ok or would I have to use high octane gasoline.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:32 am

dabrian wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:28 am
lazydavid wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:26 am
dabrian wrote:

Wasn't sure if 87 octane was ok or would I have to use high octane gasoline.
Then you're all good. The manual specifies 87.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:32 am

So about this alleged huge disparity in resale value between, say, Toyotas and Hyundais . . . I was curious so went to Carmax to see how they're pricing comparable 10-year-old compact SUVs. Ten years is how long I and many other Bogleheads seem to keep cars when we buy them new. I found a 2010 Hyundai Tucson with 97,000 miles on it listed for $10,998. I found a 2010 Toyota Rav4 with 83,000 miles on it listed for $12,599. (Note, Carmax didn't have a 2009 Tucson, so I had to look at 9-year-old models). The two cars have comparable features: 2WD, 4-cylinder, cloth seats. Nothing special about either one of them, i.e., neither is the highest trim level with leather seats, navigation, sunroofs, etc. It's likely that, given the comparable features, someone shopping for a 10-year-old compact SUV would look at/consider both of these cars if they were parked on the same lot. The approximate price difference between the two is $1600, some of which is explained by the lower mileage on the Toyota. Assuming the maintenance costs over the life of the cars are about the same (and reviews of newer Hyundai models indicate they likely will be -- the Hyundai may actually be cheaper to own given the longer warranty), seems to me the lower resale value on the Hyundai is irrelevant given that you're making that up with a lower purchase price on the front end. Worst case, it's a wash.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:45 am

NJdad6 wrote:
El Greco wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:18 pm
Rented a Hyundai Sonata recently and detested it. IMHO engineering and materials felt "10 years ago" as compared to Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Ford. Exchanged the Hyundai for a Mazda 6 the next morning. Totally different driving experience.
I have had a few rental Sonatas/Optimas. They tend to be stripped down versions not available in dealers. They are very bare bones with cheap fabric and minimal tech (some don’t even have a back up camera). The higher tier models are MUCH nicer. Very nice fabric, leather, higher end plastics, large screens with car play, different dashboard materials, sound insulation, etc. top models have Napa leather seats and true luxury car features. Check them out online. These loaded Sonatas/Optimas also have MSRPs in the mid 30’s.

I don’t think these beat up cheap rental car models are helping with brand image.

Other models are way ahead of their competition. Kia Stinger/Genesis G70 are consistently rated some of he best vehicles available. The Stinger was Motor Weeks drivers car of the year beating out Porsche, BMW, etc. The G70 is the NA auto show car of the year (Kona is SUV of the year). Well equipped these are both in the $40-45k range.
Yes, I suppose it was a stripped down Hyundai Sonata, however, the car I exchanged it for was a stripped down Mazda 6 and it was like night and day. I've also rented "stripped down" or non-premium level Ford Fusions, Camrys etc. and they were much better cars, as well. The Hyundai I rented had a pronounced valve tick, handled poorly, and had an odd throttle response. All issues, which I believe, fall outside the parameters of trim level.

NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:58 am

El Greco wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:45 am
NJdad6 wrote:
El Greco wrote:
Rented a Hyundai Sonata recently and detested it. IMHO engineering and materials felt "10 years ago" as compared to Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Ford. Exchanged the Hyundai for a Mazda 6 the next morning. Totally different driving experience.
I have had a few rental Sonatas/Optimas. They tend to be stripped down versions not available in dealers. They are very bare bones with cheap fabric and minimal tech (some don’t even have a back up camera). The higher tier models are MUCH nicer. Very nice fabric, leather, higher end plastics, large screens with car play, different dashboard materials, sound insulation, etc. top models have Napa leather seats and true luxury car features. Check them out online. These loaded Sonatas/Optimas also have MSRPs in the mid 30’s.

I don’t think these beat up cheap rental car models are helping with brand image.

Yes, I suppose it was a stripped down Hyundai Sonata, however, the car I exchanged it for was a stripped down Mazda 6 and it was like night and day. I've also rented "stripped down" or non-premium level Ford Fusions, Camrys etc. and they were much better cars, as well. The Hyundai I rented had a pronounced valve tick, handled poorly, and had an odd throttle response. All issues, which I believe, fall outside the parameters of trim level.
I don’t have any of that in my Sonata but that doesn’t mean your experience is not valid. Could have been a bad one (or I got a good one).

Haven’t driven a recent Mazda but I have heard great things about them and like their styling. I’ll look for one next time I am renting. I do try to avoid the Ford Fusion. Really dislike they way they drive, seat positioning and visibility. Also not a fan of the Malibu, really like the Impala.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:10 pm

CJCorcoran wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:10 am
I would encourage everyone to check out Phil Edmonston's Lemon-Aid New/Used Car Guide. It's Canadian, but applicable to US customers, too. It's been around for decades and they publish yearly updated. They seem to believe that certain Hyundai models -- think Elantra and Sonata -- can be the sweet spot for price and value.

https://www.amazon.com/Lemon-Aid-Used-T ... way&sr=8-1

Phil Edmunston is one of the finest automotive consumer advocates in North America. He was originally part of the Ralph Nader group. However, I think that his reviews of different vehicles are among the most accurate.

Do realize that Phil will be retiring in the coming year and his current books are the final ones that he will be writing.

DISCLOSURE: When the transmission failed in my Mercury Topaz at 45K miles, Phil provided me with a significant amount of information on failures in Ford transmissions AND gave me a strategy to use when dealing with the dealership and the Ford Zone manager.

=================================

I will also note that Phil was very critical of the Hyundai Pony and Excels when they were introduced four years PRIOR to their introduction of Hyundai in the US, He was also critical of their later models into recent years.

Kurmudjon

Post by Kurmudjon » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:18 pm

Have a 2017 G80 which is now about 2 years old All the bells and whistles. Best car I have ever owned. Other car is 2007 Corvette so am kind of a car guy.
“Some of its magic some of its tragic but I had a good life all the way.”

themesrob

Post by themesrob » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:38 pm

dabrian wrote:
FWIW, I posted this in a thread a while back re a 2016 Genesis:

My best friend bought a 2016 Genesis new last year after he and his wife had their second kid. He sang its praises to me for months, and I took a couple rides in it and was generally impressed.

About six months in, the four of them were driving on a highway in a rainstorm and without warning, the car's electronics shut down. Everything went out, no headlights/taillights/turn signals, no speedometer, no lane assist, no radio, nothing -- moving 60 mph in the rain, suddenly blind. They managed to pull over, but nothing would turn back on, so they had to be towed. My friend is a pretty unflappable guy, but it had him shaken.

Hyundai's official explanation was a "software malfunction." The dealership mechanic in an unofficial conversation said this was not the first time he had seen a Genesis do this. (Obviously anecdotal, so take it FWIW.)

UPDATE: They since traded the Genesis in for a minivan. That car subsequently had other problems, unrelated to software/electronics. I think the sense my friend got from the dealer mechanics is that they viewed the Genesises (Geneses? Genesi?) of 2016 and earlier as wholly unreliable. It was extremely pleasing to the eye, though, IMO.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:41 pm

NJdad6 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:58 am
El Greco wrote:
NJdad6 wrote:
El Greco wrote:

I don’t have any of that in my Sonata but that doesn’t mean your experience is not valid. Could have been a bad one (or I got a good one).

Haven’t driven a recent Mazda but I have heard great things about them and like their styling. I’ll look for one next time I am renting. I do try to avoid the Ford Fusion. Really dislike they way they drive, seat positioning and visibility. Also not a fan of the Malibu, really like the Impala.
Absolutely agree with you on the Malibu. Was given a brand new one at Avis rental and found it to be "Tinny". Avis was supposed to give me a new Impala which I had heard good things about. Instead, they brought out a 5 year-old Impala with big scratches on the hood, which I instantly rejected. But that's an entirely different thread :)

SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:08 pm

I've had my eye on a year or two old Elantra for my kid's first car (college age, not 16), simply because it offers all the driver assist tech at a really low price. I'm not worried too much about resale value -- my hope is that she will drive it into the ground, and if not, it will be her choice to trade it in. This thread is giving me pause though.

I value the driver tech so much for an inexperienced driver, and don't really want to pay a premium for a car that's likely going to be rather abused. Don't know what to do.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:33 pm

SC Anteater wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:08 pm
I've had my eye on a year or two old Elantra for my kid's first car (college age, not 16), simply because it offers all the driver assist tech at a really low price. I'm not worried too much about resale value -- my hope is that she will drive it into the ground, and if not, it will be her choice to trade it in. This thread is giving me pause though.

I value the driver tech so much for an inexperienced driver, and don't really want to pay a premium for a car that's likely going to be rather abused. Don't know what to do.
I would think the opposite. They should learn to drive well first and be careful rather than relying on tech to maybe correct their problems. Getting used to the tech makes people pay attention less thinking the car will fix things IMO.

SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:56 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:33 pm
SC Anteater wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:08 pm

I would think the opposite. They should learn to drive well first and be careful rather than relying on tech to maybe correct their problems. Getting used to the tech makes people pay attention less thinking the car will fix things IMO.
I think all the cars will have tech in the future so I don't think there's much value to going without. They've already been driving occasionally for 2 years now. I, along with everyone I know, had minor scrapes/dings/accidents as teen drivers. I don't know that I got much out of them other than higher insurance rates. I think maturation made me a better driver, not time behind the wheel.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:52 pm

LawEgr1 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:47 am
...there are all sorts of problems with all sorts of brands, and fire risks abound, not just Hyundai / Kia.
FWIW, they expanded the recall:

Kia, Hyundai recall over 500,000 cars over potential engine fire risk
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 013839002/

NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:06 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:52 pm
LawEgr1 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:47 am
...there are all sorts of problems with all sorts of brands, and fire risks abound, not just Hyundai / Kia.
FWIW, they expanded the recall:

Kia, Hyundai recall over 500,000 cars over potential engine fire risk
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 013839002/
That is good. Hopefully any potential issues will be resolved. I don’t think recalls are necessary a bad thing. If so there would be no cars left to buy. All brands have had their share of huge recalls.

Topic Author
ASpenderInRecovery

Post by ASpenderInRecovery » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:28 pm

OP Update:

Thank you everyone who commented. I didn’t realize I’d spark such a lively debate over Hyundai’s value against other brands.

We ended up purchasing a 2019 Santa Fe Ultimate awd 2.0T for my wife which is essentially their fully loaded model. I’m sure plenty folks out there think I’m crazy for buying the top trim but I’ll sum it up as happy wife, happy life. Obviously it’s brand spanking new so it’s going to feel great at everything for awhile but we are very satisfied with the purchase. I’ll credit this site in helping me get my finances in order awhile back so fortunately we were able to pay cash which felt great.

My last comment is if you are currently in the market or plan to be in the market for a compact to mid size SUV I definitely recommend checking out the 2019 Santa Fe especially if you are considering a Rav4, CRV, Pilot, Highlander, Passport, CX5, Ascent. At minimum it’s a point of comparison. After owning and loving Toyotas and Hondas and assuming they were THE way to go we now have a Hyundai in the family. I’ll keep everyone posted on any issues that pop up.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:42 pm

ASpender - Thanks for updating all of us who have been following your post. I am in the market for a new SUV and have been looking at the exact brand and trim line you purchased. Have not made a decision yet though!
Tom D.

Topic Author
ASpenderInRecovery

Post by ASpenderInRecovery » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:47 pm

Rupert wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:32 am
So about this alleged huge disparity in resale value between, say, Toyotas and Hyundais . . . I was curious so went to Carmax to see how they're pricing comparable 10-year-old compact SUVs. Ten years is how long I and many other Bogleheads seem to keep cars when we buy them new. I found a 2010 Hyundai Tucson with 97,000 miles on it listed for $10,998. I found a 2010 Toyota Rav4 with 83,000 miles on it listed for $12,599. (Note, Carmax didn't have a 2009 Tucson, so I had to look at 9-year-old models). The two cars have comparable features: 2WD, 4-cylinder, cloth seats. Nothing special about either one of them, i.e., neither is the highest trim level with leather seats, navigation, sunroofs, etc. It's likely that, given the comparable features, someone shopping for a 10-year-old compact SUV would look at/consider both of these cars if they were parked on the same lot. The approximate price difference between the two is $1600, some of which is explained by the lower mileage on the Toyota. Assuming the maintenance costs over the life of the cars are about the same (and reviews of newer Hyundai models indicate they likely will be -- the Hyundai may actually be cheaper to own given the longer warranty), seems to me the lower resale value on the Hyundai is irrelevant given that you're making that up with a lower purchase price on the front end. Worst case, it's a wash.
Agreed. My thinking is the 2019 Santa Fe will have a lower resell value than say a 2019 Rav4. After getting out the door prices on both comparably eqipped vehicles I can say the 2019 Rav4 would have cost me legitimately $1,500-$2,000 to begin with. Honda didn’t have a neat point of comparison, but in evaluating the 2019 Passport we were suprised it was $7k higher out the door. The CRV would be less of a gap but still more expensive. They were all very nice vehicles we just preferred the Santa Fe’s comprehensive safety/convenience features, comfortable ride, smooth acceleration, quiet interior, styling, lengthy warranty, and value for the money.

Topic Author
ASpenderInRecovery

Post by ASpenderInRecovery » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:51 pm

tomd37 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:42 pm
ASpender - Thanks for updating all of us who have been following your post. I am in the market for a new SUV and have been looking at the exact brand and trim line you purchased. Have not made a decision yet though!
Tom, best of luck with the purchase! Feel free to direct message me with any questions on the Santa Fe. We are discovering more subtle features we love every day.

IMO

Post by IMO » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:53 pm

GT99 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:13 pm
It's always interesting to me how people judge future car purchases based on experience with a single vehicle. Every single mass production model has had individual vehicles that had many repair issues and individual vehicles that went for 100k+ miles with no issues. It's silly to judge reliability based on 1 vehicle experience out of hundreds of thousands.

That's why consumer reports, JD Power, etc exist. There are lots of ways to evaluate reliability, and it obviously varies some by model type. In many of them Hyundai is equal to or ahead of the more reputably reliable brands like Toyota and Honda. Some they are a bit behind, but I haven't seen any where they are way behind (not saying they don't exist). In JD Power's most recent reliability ranking, the Santa Fe was either tied with or ahead of the Toyota Venza, 4Runner, and Highlander.

To be clear, I'm not advocating for Hyundai (don't own one, will consider them next purchase). I'm advocating for statistics and research over anecdote.
Thanks for the very logical post. You see personal bias based on cars over 20+ years ago.

Haven't looked it up, but would like to see data on what the vehicle warranty is from all car companies.
Further, what is the incidence of a car models/brand having reliability issues that occurred outside the warranty. Isn't that a major issue of concern when it comes to car ownership? Too bad there isn't some type of mandated form/data that companies must provide when cars have problems develop within a certain time frame vs. just doing random surveys.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:59 pm

Congrats on the new wheels. I'm late to this topic, but used to drive a Santa Fe and loved it. I hope your experience is the same. The only downside was poor gas mileage, I'm sure the 2019 models are much better in that regard. I still have my eye on the Kona...

rtt22

Post by rtt22 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:25 am
Their quality and performance continues to improve and they represent a great up-front value. I think their resale continues to be terrible relative to other models. Just make sure you understand the full cost of ownership including disposal.
"Terrible resale value" is actually a good thing if you plan to keep the car forever, since you'll be paying less in insurance premium while having a nice and reliable set of wheels to use everyday !

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:32 am

rtt22 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:56 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:25 am
Their quality and performance continues to improve and they represent a great up-front value. I think their resale continues to be terrible relative to other models. Just make sure you understand the full cost of ownership including disposal.
"Terrible resale value" is actually a good thing if you plan to keep the car forever, since you'll be paying less in insurance premium while having a nice and reliable set of wheels to use everyday !
I don’t understand this. I don’t think the insurance premiums differ enough to make this relevant. Unless you plan to keep until you die, resale is relevant.

rtt22

Post by rtt22 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:00 am

The higher the market value of the car, the higher the premium that covers the "collision" part of the insurance. So after a few years, if the market value of the car drops a lot, then the insurance premium should drop also, everything else being equal.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:09 am

rtt22 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:00 am
The higher the market value of the car, the higher the premium that covers the "collision" part of the insurance. So after a few years, if the market value of the car drops a lot, then the insurance premium should drop also, everything else being equal.
I have not had that experience. At all. We own a 2014 Hyundai, a 2014 Grand Cherokee and a 2014 Acadia. All bought brand new. All I’ve seen insurance rates go up every year. No drops. None.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:26 pm

We bought a fully loaded Sante Fe Sport in Dec 2014 and have been extremely happy with it so far. I was originally looking at Acura and Infiniti, but couldn't pass up the value that the SFS offered. I love all the advanced tech in the car.

sleepwell

Post by sleepwell » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:19 pm

Regarding Hyundais:

In 2008, I purchased a used 2006 Hyundai Tuscon with all the bells and whistles. I believe that it was a leased car previously which was bought by a small car re-seller. The price was right and I love the car. It has given me absolutely no problems in the 11 years I have owned it, it rides well, and can carry 95% of whatever I need. When I finally need to replace my beloved car, I will look first at Hyundais.

Good luck with your search/decision.

Sleepwell

vested1

Post by vested1 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:59 am

ASpenderInRecovery wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:51 pm
tomd37 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:42 pm
Tom, best of luck with the purchase! Feel free to direct message me with any questions on the Santa Fe. We are discovering more subtle features we love every day.
We are heading east from Ca today in our 2019 Santa Fe UL. Love this car. Congrats to both of you.

cccheel

Post by cccheel » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:51 am

I purchased a new Santa Fe in 2015 and have loved it. You get a lot for what you pay with Hyundai, and their base models have nice features. It's perfect for my wife and I along with what we need to lug around for a toddler.

I finally sold my 2001 Honda Civic in 2017 (235K miles) and purchases a new Hyundai Elantra Limited. I did so because the incentives were so great on the purchase that I actually would have spent more on a used vehicle.

I don't care about resale value because I plan on driving both into the ground.
Last edited by cccheel on Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:41 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:09 am
rtt22 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:00 am
I have not had that experience. At all. We own a 2014 Hyundai, a 2014 Grand Cherokee and a 2014 Acadia. All bought brand new. All I’ve seen insurance rates go up every year. No drops. None.
That is a problem with your insurance. Shop around.
Other things that may be behind your rate increases: Adding teenage drivers; Traffic incidents (you know the kind); etc.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:23 pm

ASpenderInRecovery wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:58 am

Should I be skeptical by this lower cost with more apparent value? Are any concerns mitigated by their generous 10yr/100,000 mile powertrain and 5yr/60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty?

Thanks for your comments and insight!
I got a fantastic deal on a 2017 Elantra Limited in November 2017. It was several thousands cheaper than a comparable Honda or Toyota, and more comfortable and more fun to drive.
I am skeptical of the warranty. Every time I go to the dealer with an issue, if they look at the car for even five minutes they charge a flat "diagnostic fee", and if they don't find a problem or if they (subjectively) claim that you caused it, you are out of luck....you still pay it. I didn't have that issue with my Honda dealer.

Slapshot

Post by Slapshot » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:53 pm

My son has a 2012 Sante Fe that he bought new and now has 230,000 miles thanks mainly to a 100 mile round trip commute every day. He's had no issues at all and it's still running great.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:36 pm

El Greco wrote:
The Hyundai I rented had a pronounced valve tick, handled poorly, and had an odd throttle response. All issues, which I believe, fall outside the parameters of trim level.
Not sure about the Hyundai, but engines with direct injection will produce a sound similar to a "valve click".
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:36 pm

TheGreyingDuke wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:36 pm
El Greco wrote:
The Hyundai I rented had a pronounced valve tick, handled poorly, and had an odd throttle response. All issues, which I believe, fall outside the parameters of trim level.
Not sure about the Hyundai, but engines with direct injection will produce a sound similar to a "valve click" or valve clatter if you are searching
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:38 pm

El Greco wrote:
Not sure about the Hyundai, but engines with direct injection will produce a sound similar to a "valve click" or valve clatter if you are searching

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:12 pm

Congrats on the new vehicle! I previously drove a Santa Fe and loved it; I kept it for 12 years and it's still my favorite of the cars I've owned. Repair costs were minimal and I've heard the quality has improved in recent years, so I think you've made a wise choice.