Retiring Early Correlates with Greater Longevity ?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
BernardShakey

Retiring Early Correlates with Greater Longevity ?

Post by BernardShakey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:06 pm

Hey all...Are there any definitive studies on this subject ? Seems to be a smattering of short articles out there but few if any comprehensive long-term / longitudinal studies on the subject. I imagine there are a myriad of factors that a study would have to consider. Anyone researched this and drawn any conclusions ?

mariezzz

Re: Retiring Early Correlates with Greater Longevity ?

Post by mariezzz » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:09 pm

Remember: correlation is not causation. (For a discussion, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlati ... _causation and many other web sites)

Retiring early definitely positively correlates with increased income. There's lots of data on that. https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/the- ... -and-poor/

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:19 pm

Check out this Sandia Labs story looking at their retirees in response to the ol' urban legend about Boeing early retirees living longer:
(Page 12 in the below PDF )
https://www.sandia.gov/LabNews/LN11-16- ... -16-01.pdf
... the correlation between age at death
and retirement age is not particularly good. The
correlation coefficient is 0.37 for deceased males
and 0.36 for females, indicative of the large
amount of scatter at any given retirement age.
One might reasonably conclude that retirement
age has small effect on life expectancy other than
the obvious one: if you retired at age 65, you did
not die in any previous year ...
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:30 pm

I'd say a correlation with a shorter lifespan should be expected. Longer living people may, or may not, retire early. Shorter living people will all retire early.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:32 pm

It is a bit different but there are lots of studies that link income level to your life expectancy.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/ ... y-matters/

It gets tricky though since many people with serious illnesses have a low income because of the illness, and did not get sick because of their low income.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:51 pm

what's most interesting is that for high incomes men and women have almost the same life span.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:15 am

Actually I head many cases where people died soon after retiring. Somehow a sudden disruption of a structured life style leads to an early demise.

GCD

Post by GCD » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:10 am

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:15 am
Actually I head many cases where people died soon after retiring. Somehow a sudden disruption of a structured life style leads to an early demise.
Or people retired early because they were in ill health and saw the writing on the wall.

JustinR

Post by JustinR » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:06 am

1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28233361
The causal effect of retirement on mortality: Evidence from targeted incentives to retire early.

This paper estimates the impact of early retirement on mortality using Dutch administrative micro panel data. An unexpected temporary decrease in the eligibility age for retirement benefits for civil servants is used to instrument the retirement choice. We find that induced early retirement decreased the probability that a man dies within 5 years by 2.6 percentage points. The result is robust to alternative specifications and data selection criteria.
2. http://jhr.uwpress.org/content/49/1/195.short
The Health Consequences of Retirement

This paper examines the impact of retirement on individuals’ health. Declines in health commonly compel workers to retire, so the challenge is to disentangle the simultaneous causal effects. The estimation strategy employs an instrumental variables specification. The instrument is based on workers’ self-reported probabilities of working past ages 62 and 65, taken from the first period in which they are observed. Results indicate that the retirement effect on health is beneficial and significant. Investigation into behavioral data, such as smoking and exercise, suggests that retirement may affect health through such channels. With additional leisure time, many retirees practice healthier habits.

The first paper is behind a paywall of course but this article describes it:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanlo ... ire-early/
According to a study recently published in the Journal of Health and Economics, public sector employees in Holland who took early retirement had a 42 percent lower five-year mortality rate than those who continued working into their 60s. In another study, Dr. Sing Lin Ph.D. studied how many pension fund checks were sent out to Boeing retirees. He found that, on average, employees retiring at age 65 received pension checks for only 18 months before their death. The workers who retired ten years earlier at age 55 continued to receive checks into their 70s and 80s.

This data backs up additional studies conducted in England, Israel, Germany, and other European countries that demonstrate that there is a substantial health benefit to retiring early. One study in the United States found that seven additional years of retirement can be as good for your health as proactively reducing your risk of serious diseases such as heart conditions or diabetes.

ankonaman

Post by ankonaman » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:55 am

Interesting topic but way too many variables to take into account to reach any useful conclusion. The way I see it is if you have a job you enjoy, watch your diet and exercise, how many years you work in that field most likely will not impact your health. In fact it may improve it as you engage in brain stimulating activity daily.

The part of this I would like to see explored is if you are in good health but forced to stay in a position due to finances or high cost of health care what are the impacts on your well being. At 62 I would love to retire but find myself continuing to work solely for health insurance as the cost to self insure for my wife and I is about 20 grand a year. I have a high stress job that I would love to get out of and start enjoying the things I can never find time for due to my work schedule.

For those of us having to work until 65 just to qualify for medicare due to the onerous cost of health insurance until medicare eligibility, how conducive is that to longevity? There needs to be a more viable health insurance option for early retirees.

international001

Post by international001 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:08 am

Many civil servants just wait for retirement and get their pension in semi-zombi state

You also have to separate retirement age from (the pereceived) meaning of life

I have known elederly people in lazy lifestyles that suddenly get a mission in life ( a grandson, having to take care of somebody handicapped), and it gives them a boost on their energy.
On the other hand, you see couples living together for 70 years, and when one dies, the other dies within weeks.

Yes.. many variables.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:37 am

There's a brand new study that demonstrates how early retirement correlates with larger homes, increased numbers of convertibles, and significant increases in travel mile points.

azanon

Post by azanon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:38 am

mariezzz wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:09 pm
Remember: correlation is not causation. (For a discussion, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlati ... _causation and many other web sites)

Retiring early definitely positively correlates with increased income. There's lots of data on that. https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/the- ... -and-poor/
This, and for obvious reasons. The obvious reality is that most retire early for more typical reasons, probably the largest being due to health/medical reasons. I don't have research to link right at this moment, but I do recall articles on that in the past, and I believe every time that's the #1 reason. So naturally, if early retirement is graphed with longevity, then on average early retirees will have a shorter lifespan.

So if you retire early because you achieved financial independence at an early age, you are what they call in statistics, an "outlier".

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:18 pm

In The Villages, in Florida, an active lifestyle retirement community, it seems there are many retirees that retired early, and are now in their 70's and 80's, and are still participating in fitness type lifestyle activities. So, are they healthier because they retired early? Possibly. Did they self select themselves to an active lifestyle community because they were healthy to begin with? Possibly. It does make sense that if I did not have to get up early for work every day, and if I didn't occupy all of those hours at work very day, then I could focus more on maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

gasdoc

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:23 pm

I guess that means I can't retire as early as I thought. My money would have to last even longer. :happy

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:24 pm

Greater wealth correlates with greater longevity.
PJW

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:30 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:37 am
There's a brand new study that demonstrates how early retirement correlates with larger homes, increased numbers of convertibles, and significant increases in travel mile points.
Not for FIRE acolytes, though.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:54 pm

here is what a Fox Business News contributor had to say the other day about retirement

“What a great country where we have the opportunity to keep working,” Luskin enthusiastically exclaimed. “What a miracle where our lives are long enough and we’re healthy enough and mentally alert enough so we don’t have to retire like generations before us! This is a great blessing! You should embrace it.”

a miracle
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:31 pm

rj342 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:43 pm
Thesaints wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:36 pm
Anemic people live longer ? I don't think so.
He actually does NOT advise becoming vegetarian - -plenty of them are sickly in various ways.
Rather he uses phelobotomy to keep his iron closer to the healthy female range.
And is there any evidence that he is right?

You will see a lot of studies that say on average vegitarians live 5-10 years longer than the rest of the population. When you correct for exercise, smoking, drinking, and obesity (granted veg diets help a lot of people with this), the gap shrinks to about 1 year in the studies I have seen.

I wouldn't be shocked to learn that iron plays some roll. I would be mildly surprised if the effect is big enough to make giving blood the way to go versus skipping 1 steak per week. There are tons of random ideas on how to modify diet to live longer and healthier based on one fact. Few of them stand up to detailed studies.

firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:41 pm

anecdotally, early retirement is correlated with early death. As far as longevity, I am not interested. They tack the extra years on the end. I’d rather be dead. So, two reasons for early retirement.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:44 pm

It can be said that the farther along into retirement one is. . . the shorter the longevity. :shock:

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Stormbringer

Post by Stormbringer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:14 pm

mariezzz wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:09 pm
Remember: correlation is not causation.
Spurious Correlations
"Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe." - Albert Einstein

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:05 pm

ankonaman wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:55 am
Interesting topic but way too many variables to take into account to reach any useful conclusion. The way I see it is if you have a job you enjoy, watch your diet and exercise, how many years you work in that field most likely will not impact your health. In fact it may improve it as you engage in brain stimulating activity daily.

The part of this I would like to see explored is if you are in good health but forced to stay in a position due to finances or high cost of health care what are the impacts on your well being. At 62 I would love to retire but find myself continuing to work solely for health insurance as the cost to self insure for my wife and I is about 20 grand a year. I have a high stress job that I would love to get out of and start enjoying the things I can never find time for due to my work schedule.

For those of us having to work until 65 just to qualify for medicare due to the onerous cost of health insurance until medicare eligibility, how conducive is that to longevity? There needs to be a more viable health insurance option for early retirees.
Well you only need to cover 3 years... So you only need 60k more... Work one more year, and it's 40k. Growth on your portfolio and savings over the next year should get you there... Set that 40k aside, and retire at 63...
The J stands for Jay

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:24 pm

Sooooo If I retire at 50 I may only have 20 yrs in retirement (aprox)

If I work till 70 I may live to 75 and have 5 yrs in retirement. (aprox)

I could step off a curb at any age and get hit by a bus.

I believe If I worry about stuff like this my stress will go up and then I die early due to stress.

If I exercised all my life I could add 5 yrs to my life even though I spent more than 5 yrs exercising.
And still get hit by a bus.

If I ate healthy (depending on whos opinion of what healthy eating is) I might live longer.

Some things you can't plot on a spreadsheet/graph. :beer
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:04 pm

I believe that longevity is overrated. I got out while the getting out was good, and the rest will be up to God. :beer
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:21 pm

Every month my company lists former employees who have died, and the year they retired from the company. They used to list the age too, but apparently that was offensive to someone so they stopped doing that. But you can still generally find their obituaries on the internet, and get their age.

I look at those numbers each month. I cheer for each and every person who got 20+ years of retirement, and more loudly for those who got 30+. It's my self-selected peer group and I hope to one day join them. :shock:

It's anecdotal, but my conclusion is that women overall have a better chance of 30+ year retirements, and men who have 30+ year retirements retired at age 55, the first year when one has been eligible for retirement on my company's pension plan (now frozen, and eliminated for most).

Godot

Post by Godot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:31 pm

Thesaints wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:30 pm
I'd say a correlation with a shorter lifespan should be expected. Longer living people may, or may not, retire early. Shorter living people will all retire early.
Indeed, especially those under 5'10.
“There is man in his entirety, blaming his shoe when his foot is guilty.” ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:37 pm

The only statistic I've seen on this topic that makes sense is, "People who retire early have longer retirements than those who retire later."
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

Godot

Post by Godot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:40 pm

jebmke wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:54 pm
here is what a Fox Business News contributor had to say the other day about retirement

“What a great country where we have the opportunity to keep working,” Luskin enthusiastically exclaimed. “What a miracle where our lives are long enough and we’re healthy enough and mentally alert enough so we don’t have to retire like generations before us! This is a great blessing! You should embrace it.”

a miracle
"The poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research released on Monday suggested 23% of workers expect to never stop working."

I expect to see more articles like this in the coming years.
“There is man in his entirety, blaming his shoe when his foot is guilty.” ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:05 am

{I deleted three off-topic health/medical comments.} The discussion is deteriorating; stay on topic

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:41 am

I once asked Calstrs how long teachers lived with their retirement. I didn't exactly get that answer, but I got this:
California State Teachers’ Retirement System. We don't keep statistics but in a 2002 letter drafted by the Office of the Actuary, they found the following results: 75.7% have been retired five + years; 53% have been retired for 10+ years; 33.8% have been retired for 15+ years; 18.4% have been retired for 20+ years.
Interesting, that less than 20% were still collecting retirement benefits after 20 years.
I am just over 10 years. Maybe I'll make it to 20 plus years.
Best Wishes, | Joe

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:29 am

If your portfolio is supposed to support 30 years of retirement, e.g., the 4% rules, you retire early, then you die early in terms of age. But you still enjoy the same number of retirement years.
On the other hand, if someone retires at 100 years old, I don't expect this person to enjoy 30 years of retirement.

I will retire when I feel it is right. Longevity, who can control that?

t00sl0w

Post by t00sl0w » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:00 pm

JMacDonald wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:41 am
I once asked Calstrs how long teachers lived with their retirement. I didn't exactly get that answer, but I got this:
California State Teachers’ Retirement System. We don't keep statistics but in a 2002 letter drafted by the Office of the Actuary, they found the following results: 75.7% have been retired five + years; 53% have been retired for 10+ years; 33.8% have been retired for 15+ years; 18.4% have been retired for 20+ years.
Interesting, that less than 20% were still collecting retirement benefits after 20 years.
Were you given any kind of age ranges with this info? I cant help but wonder if most people just tend to retire older VS younger and thus they don't live long enough to draw on pensions or other retirement into the 20+ year range.

I work in government and i see it pretty often, the people who retire late tend to not make it to 20+yrs on pension. Meanwhile those who planned things out better OR had just been working for the gov since like 20 and were able to retire w/full benefits early due to that, tend to knock on that 20+year door with more frequency.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:13 pm

I retired 10 years ago at age 52. I was in a high-stress job in the IT industry working nights and long weekend hours. Sometimes 20 hour days. Since I retired I go to the gym almost everyday have normal hours ,have lots of energy, very little stress. So in my own personal study I feel like I can live longer and if not longer a heck of a lot better than if continued my lifestyle at work.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:22 pm

t00sl0w wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:00 pm
JMacDonald wrote:
Were you given any kind of age ranges with this info? I cant help but wonder if most people just tend to retire older VS younger and thus they don't live long enough to draw on pensions or other retirement into the 20+ year range.

I work in government and i see it pretty often, the people who retire late tend to not make it to 20+yrs on pension. Meanwhile those who planned things out better OR had just been working for the gov since like 20 and were able to retire w/full benefits early due to that, tend to knock on that 20+year door with more frequency.
That is all the information I received. Teachers with Calstrs can retire at 55 with a small pension. I saw teachers retire at that age all the way up to 70. i guess most go to 60 and older otherwise your pension is rather small. One point as most teaches are women. Women seem to live longer than men. At any rate, it doesn't seem too many teachers are living in retirement 20 years or more no matter what age they retired.
Best Wishes, | Joe

SuperSaver1975

Post by SuperSaver1975 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:29 pm

firebirdparts wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:41 pm
anecdotally, early retirement is correlated with early death. As far as longevity, I am not interested. They tack the extra years on the end. I’d rather be dead. So, two reasons for early retirement.
People have a lot more control over their healthspan than they realize. The years at the end don't have to be surrendering to obesity, Alzheimer's, diabetes and hip replacements. Just like with wealth (the rich getting richer, the poor staying poor) I see a separation today of people by health. For the most part, most Americans mostly eat the same toxic food supply, get poor sleep, etc. But for those who want to live an optimized lifestyle there has never been a better time in human history.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:59 pm

firebirdparts wrote:
I’d rather be dead.
In some states, you can accomplish that legally.

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:05 pm

{I deleted another off-topic health/medical comment} Note rules#rule-4c:

Medical Issues

Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:11 pm

JMacDonald wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:22 pm
t00sl0w wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:

That is all the information I received. Teachers with Calstrs can retire at 55 with a small pension. I saw teachers retire at that age all the way up to 70. i guess most go to 60 and older otherwise your pension is rather small. One point as most teaches are women. Women seem to live longer than men. At any rate, it doesn't seem too many teachers are living in retirement 20 years or more no matter what age they retired.
Maybe but fun with statistics: this could be because there weren't as many teachers 20 years ago (more like 40, when you consider when they began teaching) versus 10 years ago (30 years ago when they began teaching), etc. since California has undergone tremendous growth.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:44 pm

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:15 am
My dad was a pilot and retired at 60 and lived to 91. One of our friends and fellow pilots for the same airline had a heart attack and died within a few years of his 60 mandatory retirement.

bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:49 pm

The rich live longer. To retire early Boglehead style you need to be rich.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... death.html

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Indeed, especially those under 5'10.
(edit by Moderator Jbranx)

This thread is entertaining....... :sharebeer
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:52 pm

At any rate, it doesn't seem too many teachers are living in retirement 20 years or more no matter what age they retired.

based on what???????????????????????????????????????????????
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:13 pm

The issue is not when but why you retire. Obviously, those who retire early due to health reasons have shorter longevity. Those who retire early with a specific set of plans are different from those who are FIRE candidates who have primarily focused on retirement itself. It is an individual result, probably with significant deviations among mean, median and mode.

Tim

Tdubs

Post by Tdubs » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:22 pm

Any stats on how much more sleep a retiree gets? I'd think that alone would make a difference.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:09 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:59 pm
firebirdparts wrote:
I’d rather be dead.
In some states, you can accomplish that legally.
It's actually legal in all states. Having someone help you is not legal.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Whakamole wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:11 pm
JMacDonald wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:22 pm
t00sl0w wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:

Maybe but fun with statistics: this could be because there weren't as many teachers 20 years ago (more like 40, when you consider when they began teaching) versus 10 years ago (30 years ago when they began teaching), etc. since California has undergone tremendous growth.
There were also a lot of incentives in 2009-11 to encourage teachers to retire early so there could be an abnormally large population in the 0-10 range. This is the type of stat that confuses people. It feels like it says that most teachers don't live for 20+ years in retirement. But there isn't remotely enough info to come to that conclusion. For all we know 90% of teachers live 20+ years after retiring.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:40 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not investing related, nor for is it directly actionable for retirement planning). See: Investing - Theory, News & General
If it's investment related and it doesn't fall into the above category it goes here. Examples of acceptable topics include news about new fund offerings, pointers to academic papers about investing issues, questions about the proper role of a particular asset class in a portfolio, or questions about Vanguard policies.
Also see: Personal Finance
This subforum is for personal financial issues that don't involve investments. Examples of acceptable topics are:

- insurance
- employment issues
- credit card and credit rating issues
- mortgage and loan issues
- legal issues that have a financial component like wills and pre-nuptial agreements

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) financial life. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.