Fidelity Expands Their Index Fund Lineup

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
aj76er

Fidelity Expands Their Index Fund Lineup

Post by aj76er » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:19 pm

While researching the fidelity index funds, I noticed 5 new additions to their lineup:

FMBIX - Fidelity® Municipal Bond Index Fund
FMDGX - Fidelity® Mid Cap Growth Index Fund
FIMVX - Fidelity® Mid Cap Value Index Fund
FECGX - Fidelity® Small Cap Growth Index Fund
FISVX - Fidelity® Small Cap Value Index Fund

I don't think any info is available yet for them, but thought others would find this interesting nonetheless :D
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

HueyLD

Re: Fidelity Expands Their Index Fund Lineup

Post by HueyLD » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:23 pm

Hooray!

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:27 pm

These don't show up for me - don't see when searching for FISVX on their site and looking at index fund lists in the usual places (https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/i ... ndex-funds). Where did you see them?

Thanks for sharing - about time they have a small-cap-value index option.

Topic Author
aj76er

Post by aj76er » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:30 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:27 pm
These don't show up for me - don't see when searching for FISVX on their site and looking at index fund lists in the usual places (https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/i ... ndex-funds). Where did you see them?

I go to https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/f ... s/overview

Then, click the Index tab and they are listed with "New" icons with the rest of the funds. Clicking on the individual links goes to a blank page, so I don't believe there is any info on them yet, which is probably why a search fails for them.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:31 pm

aj76er wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:19 pm
While researching the fidelity index funds, I noticed 5 new additions to their lineup:

I don't think any info is available yet for them, but thought others would find this interesting nonetheless :D
Hurray! Small Cap Value Index (FISVX) looks promising from the name. It could be a good alternative to IJS for those who tilt but don't want to use ETFs in their accounts.

It looks like someone jumped the gun on the website update. There's no other information in any of the usual places. It should eventually show up in this screener: https://www.fidelity.com/fund-screener/ ... =Y&iDt=LS1

benway

Post by benway » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:51 pm

Here's a link to the SEC filing for these funds. You'll need to scroll to find the funds or use Ctrl+F to search the page for the fund name: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... 85apos.htm

The small cap value fund shows total operating expenses of .05% and follows the Russell 2000 Value index.

Question: Has the Russell 2000 Value index suffered from the same front running that the Russell 2000 has?

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:55 pm

The SEC filings are here.

Unfortunately, the SCV index fund follows the Russell 2000 Value index. The ER is 0.05%.

Edited: I see benway beat me to it. :beer

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:01 pm

aj76er wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:19 pm

Excellent news. I guess Fidelity is executing the "if I can't beat them, join them strategy." I bought the iShares S&P 600 Small Value Index EFT because at the time, Fidelity didn't have a Small Value index. I doubt that I will make the switch now as the S&P index is probably superior to the Russell index, S&P does a good job filtering out the junk.
A fool and his money are good for business.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:24 pm

benway wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:51 pm
Question: Has the Russell 2000 Value index suffered from the same front running that the Russell 2000 has?
Not as much lately. IMHO, the biggest negative is that Russell uses only one value metric (book-to-price) whereas S&P uses three (book-to-price, earnings-to-price, and sales-to-price), which is much more robust.

I'd probably stick with IJS, which trades commission-free at Fidelity, but the Fidelity fund is cheap enough that it's an entirely reasonable choice.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

ribonucleic

Post by ribonucleic » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:28 pm

Municipal Bond Index Fund is no-load with 0.07% ER?

I want to go to there.

gjlynch17

Post by gjlynch17 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:47 pm

ribonucleic wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:28 pm

I want to go to there.
I am also intrigued by the Municipal Bond Index Fund. It tracks the Bloomberg Barclays Municipal Bond Index. Vanguard's Fund (VTEAX) and iShares ETF (MUB) both track the S&P National AMT-Free Municipal Bond Index. Not sure on the differences between the two indexes but will need to do some research.

KTonC

Post by KTonC » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:52 pm

[Deleted -- moderator oldcomputerguy] Where's the international small value index?

Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:56 pm

This is great news - my company 401k is moving to Fidelity later this year, and I much prefer automated investments than having to log in and buy ETFs after each pay day. And if I don't care for Russell 2000 Value, I suppose once a quarter I can sell it down and buy IJS or something else.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:02 pm

vineviz wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:24 pm
benway wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:51 pm
Not as much lately. IMHO, the biggest negative is that Russell uses only one value metric (book-to-price) whereas S&P uses three (book-to-price, earnings-to-price, and sales-to-price), which is much more robust.

I'd probably stick with IJS, which trades commission-free at Fidelity, but the Fidelity fund is cheap enough that it's an entirely reasonable choice.
I agree. Unless I were stuck with it as my only decent option in a 401(k), there are no circumstances in which I would choose a Russell 2000 Value Index fund over an S&P 600 Value index fund.
Quercus Palustris wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:56 pm
This is great news - my company 401k is moving to Fidelity later this year, and I much prefer automated investments than having to log in and buy ETFs after each pay day. And if I don't care for Russell 2000 Value, I suppose once a quarter I can sell it down and buy IJS or something else.
I take it that you are going to have access to BrokerageLink? We have Fidelity, and we do not have access to BrokerageLink. We have some decent fund choices, but there are gaps. And we do not have access to BrokerageLink.

Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:23 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:02 pm
I take it that you are going to have access to BrokerageLink? We have Fidelity, and we do not have access to BrokerageLink. We have some decent fund choices, but there are gaps. And we do not have access to BrokerageLink.
Yeah, the language we have seen so far confirms BrokerageLink (guessing they would have to - current plan has a Schwab brokerage window). Only question I had is the plan summary doc doesn't explicitly list ETFs as available in BL (MFs, stocks, some other things are mentioned).

If Fido hadn't added a SCV fund I probably would have done auto invest to either their Small Index or the active mid cap value fund (lower ER than SCV active). Neither a great solution.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:53 pm

Quercus Palustris wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:23 pm
jhfenton wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:02 pm
Yeah, the language we have seen so far confirms BrokerageLink (guessing they would have to - current plan has a Schwab brokerage window). Only question I had is the plan summary doc doesn't explicitly list ETFs as available in BL (MFs, stocks, some other things are mentioned).

If Fido hadn't added a SCV fund I probably would have done auto invest to either their Small Index or the active mid cap value fund (lower ER than SCV active). Neither a great solution.
You might get lucky. My 401(k), administered by Fidelity, offers a DFA small-mid cap value fund.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:02 pm

FMBIX @ 0.07% ER looks a lot better than the FTABX (0.46% ER) I am holding in my taxable account. Yeah FIDO!
Don't do something, just stand there!

schismal

Post by schismal » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:09 pm

Quercus Palustris wrote:

I'll also note that BrokerageLink (for us) does not charge the standard $75 fee if you contribute to Vanguard funds via automatic investment. If you ever do a non-auto investment, however, you'll get hit with the fee. If yours operates the same way, it may open up additional options if you'd rather have a low-cost fund that tracks a different index (e.g. VSIAX, which tracks CRSP SCV instead of Russell 2000 value).

welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:13 pm

Thats great. If they could add a couple corporate bond index funds too that would be super nice.
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:15 pm

corn18 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:02 pm
FMBIX @ 0.07% ER looks a lot better than the FTABX (0.46% ER) I am holding in my taxable account. Yeah FIDO!
Just a note that FTABX net expense is .25 bp currently, and I hold a lot as well, but FMBIX is likely to become my fund for new money.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:18 pm

jbranx wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:15 pm
corn18 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:02 pm
Just a note that FTABX net expense is .25 bp currently, and I hold a lot as well, but FMBIX is likely to become my fund for new money.
Corn 18: Good catch!

Jbranx said: I like what I see in the SEC prospectus, but will have to evaluate the B'berg index vs the S&P National Muni Index that Vanguard's VTEB and Ishares MUB follow re duration and other factors, but I would suspect there will be little difference. At one time FTABX was a M'star Five Star, now 3 Star, and I'm wondering if the muni market has become so competitive/efficient that any active alpha is pretty much gone from FTABX's past outperformance. Anyway, Fido is simply getting very competitive in these new index offerings. I own and will have to evaluate FTABX not only against FMBIX but also Vanguard's two long-term muni funds. Great we now have so many choices and thanks to those who provided the alert.

fennewaldaj

Post by fennewaldaj » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:37 pm

schismal wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:09 pm
Quercus Palustris wrote:

I'll also note that BrokerageLink (for us) does not charge the standard $75 fee if you contribute to Vanguard funds via automatic investment. If you ever do a non-auto investment, however, you'll get hit with the fee. If yours operates the same way, it may open up additional options if you'd rather have a low-cost fund that tracks a different index (e.g. VSIAX, which tracks CRSP SCV instead of Russell 2000 value).
Yeah mine is like that too. Its pretty nice. I prefer the CRSP vanguard indexes to Russel ones but it is nice that fidelity has funds now in case I ever need to buy a big slug of small or mid value for re balancing

lassevirensghost

Post by lassevirensghost » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:40 am

Does the prospectus say when these offerings will be available? I would guess with the fund information already being on Fido's website the date is imminent, but I can't seem to find it.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:53 am

I wish they would add a balanced index fund to their offerings like VBIAX or the Vanguard Lifestrategy funds.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:55 am

El Greco wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:53 am
I wish they would add a balanced index fund to their offerings like VBIAX or the Vanguard Lifestrategy funds.
I think that's FFNOX, though it has a high stock allocation.

lassevirensghost

Post by lassevirensghost » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:58 pm

They've taken the funds off the website now.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:12 pm

lassevirensghost wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:58 pm
They've taken the funds off the website now.
Just checked, and yes those new index funds have been taken off the site. I did notice that when the funds were up and listed that the link that went with the ticker symbol didn't work. The funds were listed but no accompanying information on the website. My guess is that things just weren't ready and that we will see them again.

Anybody know anything about this?

corn18

Post by corn18 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:58 pm

The SEC filings showed a go live date of 2021.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:55 pm

corn18 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:58 pm
BOOOO. I want to invest in this now!
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:35 pm

ribonucleic wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:28 pm

I want to go to there.
Wow! Is this Fidelity's answer to VTEB and MUB?

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:45 pm

corn18 wrote:
Fortunately, there are good alternatives like the commission free Fidelity and iShares ETFs available to Fidelity customers. I can wait until 2021.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:12 pm

FISVX vs VSIAX....hmmmmm

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:13 am

Why start a new Small Growth fund? Yes, it is a slice of the total market, but it is not a good slice to own. Has it done well recently, so it doesn't look as bad as it is?

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:44 am

heyyou wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:13 am
Why start a new Small Growth fund? Yes, it is a slice of the total market, but it is not a good slice to own. Has it done well recently, so it doesn't look as bad as it is?
Actually, small growth index funds haven't been bad performers over the past 20 or so years. They've been nearly as strong as small value, and generally better than total market.

The S&P small cap growth index especially has pretty good size, value, momentum, and quality characteristics which have helped its performance quite a bit. The Fidelity fund will use the Russell index, which I don't think is as strong
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:05 pm

These funds may or may never launch. Schwab filed for small growth/value ETFs quite a few years ago. Still no such funds exist.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:27 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:55 pm
corn18 wrote:
Where do you see this? The prospectuses include the now standard language regarding mailing shareholder reports:
"Beginning on January 1, 2021, as permitted by regulations adopted by the Securities and Exchange Commission, paper copies of a fund’s shareholder reports will no longer be sent by mail, unless you specifically request paper copies of the reports from the fund or from your financial intermediary, such as a financial advisor, broker-dealer or bank. Instead, the reports will be made available on a website, and you will be notified by mail each time a report is posted and provided with a website link to access the report."
But the filing says that "It is proposed that this filing will become effective on June 27, 2019 pursuant to paragraph (b) of Rule 485 at 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time." and the prospectuses are dated June 27, 2019.

I don't see any other dates.

They could launch any day, or never.

bck63

Post by bck63 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:41 pm

aj76er wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:30 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:27 pm

I go to https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/f ... s/overview

Then, click the Index tab and they are listed with "New" icons with the rest of the funds. Clicking on the individual links goes to a blank page, so I don't believe there is any info on them yet, which is probably why a search fails for them.
I saw them when you first posted the link. Now, the new funds are gone. No fair! :confused

MFInvestor

July 16--[Fidelity launches new index funds]

Post by MFInvestor » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:53 am

Fidelity Press Release:

"FIDELITY® CONTINUES TO DELIVER INDUSTRY-LEADING VALUE WITH LAUNCH OF NEW INDEX FUNDS

Five New Core Index Funds are Competitively-Priced with No Investment Minimums"

https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/060 ... 071619.pdf
Fidelity Mid Cap Growth Index Fund FMDGX .05%
Fidelity Mid Cap Value Index Fund FIMVX .05%
Fidelity Small Cap Growth Index Fund FECGX .05%
Fidelity Small Cap Value Index Fund FISVX .05%
Fidelity Municipal Bond Index Fund FMBIX .07%

As is the case with Fidelity’s 53 existing stock and bond index funds and 11 sector ETFs, the new funds have lower expense ratios than their comparable funds at Vanguard. The five new funds are available to individual investors, third-party financial advisors and workplace retirement plans. “Fidelity’s goal is to provide exceptional value, simplicity, and choice for our customers,” said Colby Penzone, senior vice president of Investment Product at Fidelity. “We saw an opportunity to further expand our robust index fund lineup and bring our expertise into these areas of the market. Our scale and diversification put Fidelity in a unique position to help clients reach their financial goals.”

Bloomberg

"Fidelity Steps Up Fee War With Vanguard by Adding Low-Cost Funds"
Fidelity Investments is stepping up its rivalry with Vanguard Group by launching five new index mutual funds with expense ratios it says are lower than the equivalent products at its competitor.

Fidelity, which has $2.8 trillion under management, on Tuesday announced the addition of four index funds with expense ratios of 0.05% that invest in either mid-cap or small-cap growth or value stocks, as well as a municipal bond vehicle charging 0.07%. Expense ratios on equivalent funds at Vanguard range from 0.6% to 0.19% depending on the class of investor, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
In addition to the new mutual funds, Fidelity’s 53 existing stock and bond index funds and 11 sector exchange-traded funds carry lower expense ratios than Vanguard, the Boston-based firm said in a news release

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... pId=google

[post title edited to remove all caps - moderator prudent]

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:59 am

jhfenton wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:27 pm
JonnyDVM wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:55 pm
corn18 wrote:
Where do you see this? The prospectuses include the now standard language regarding mailing shareholder reports:
"Beginning on January 1, 2021, as permitted by regulations adopted by the Securities and Exchange Commission, paper copies of a fund’s shareholder reports will no longer be sent by mail, unless you specifically request paper copies of the reports from the fund or from your financial intermediary, such as a financial advisor, broker-dealer or bank. Instead, the reports will be made available on a website, and you will be notified by mail each time a report is posted and provided with a website link to access the report."
But the filing says that "It is proposed that this filing will become effective on June 27, 2019 pursuant to paragraph (b) of Rule 485 at 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time." and the prospectuses are dated June 27, 2019.

I don't see any other dates.

They could launch any day, or never.
And they launched today.

Pocanutin

Post by Pocanutin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:02 am

yes, new fidelity index funds are now live

P

corn18

Post by corn18 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:17 am

Awesome sauce! Will watch the muni fund and probably move my FTABX over to that in my taxable account.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:22 am

heyyou wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:13 am
I don't know about the Russell growth index, but the s&p 600 growth index excludes a lot of the lottery ticket stocks that Swedroe advises investors to avoid. Probably the quality filter is the most pertinent. I would still not overweight growth though, or even market weight it.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:23 am

mervinj7 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:31 pm

Hurray! Small Cap Value Index (FISVX) looks promising from the name. It could be a good alternative to IJS for those who tilt but don't want to use ETFs in their accounts.
Why are some people afraid to use ETFs?
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:27 am

Call_Me_Op wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:23 am
mervinj7 wrote:

This thread is on the main page, and has a lot of discussion about ETFs vs. mutual funds. Probably best to ask there: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=285510

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:35 am

Call_Me_Op wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:23 am
mervinj7 wrote:

I think there are some good reasons that people might prefer to use a mutual fund over an ETF that have nothing to do with being afraid.

At my brokerage, for instance, I could completely automate a periodic investment into a mutual fund but not into an ETF. Even though I almost entirely use ETFs in my IRAs, if equivalently designed and inexpensive mutual funds were available I would prefer them if I was making regular (i.e. weekly or monthly) contributions.

That said, the new Fidelity Small Cap Value Index (FISVX) has lower expenses than iShares S&P Small-Cap 600 Value ETF (IJS) but — because it uses the Russell 2000 Value index — I wouldn't appeal to me enough to switch. I think the S&P value methodology (which uses three different value metrics) is substantially superior to the Russell methodology (which uses only one). I'd use IJS for regular investments or SPDR S&P 600 Small Cap Value ET (SLYV) for large positions.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:57 am

Fidelity Municipal Bond Index Fund FMBIX .07% is the one that interests me.

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:39 am

Fidelity has launched these funds. I just put in an order for FMBIX, the Fido Municipal Bond Index Fund tonight. I saw a news report on Bloomberg that they were launched. I didn't check the other funds, but I presume like the muni fund that about all the info currently available is a link to the prospectus. It's cost is the promised .07 bp; A. Johnson was quoted in the news piece saying the other offerings were cheaper than the funds from you know who.

Cash

Post by Cash » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:51 pm

corn18 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:17 am
Awesome sauce! Will watch the muni fund and probably move my FTABX over to that in my taxable account.
+1 but I want more info on AMT implications

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:03 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:57 am
Fidelity Municipal Bond Index Fund FMBIX .07% is the one that interests me.
Ok, I'll bite. Why would one choose it over MUB which is also 0.07% ER? I went ahead and placed a $1k order just to get my feet wet.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:07 pm

bck63 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:41 pm

I saw them when you first posted the link. Now, the new funds are gone. No fair! :confused
As other posters have noted, these funds are now live. I have checked this for myself.