Portfolio Checkup

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Portfolio Checkup

Post by peterwantstosave » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:43 am

Friends,

Could I ask for a portfolio checkup, please?

Posting

Net Worth is about $176,000 (according to Personal Capital, including house and assets).

Salary: $50,000 Gross per year.

Expenses: $1,500-$1,800 per month

Emergency funds: Three to six months of expenses (indicate if you have this, but it is generally not part of your asset allocation)

$ 10,000 in Money Market @ Credit Union

Debt: Indicate if you have any debt (credit card, school loans, car loans, mortgage) and the interest rate you are paying on each loan.

No debt (three open credit card lines ($10,000; $5,900; $11,700; paid in full each month). No school loans, no car loans, own home free and clear (no mortgage).

Tax Filing Status: (Single, Married Filing Jointly, Married Filing Separately, Head of Household, Qualifying Widow/Widower with Dependent Children): Tax Filing Status is Single.

Tax Rate: xx% Federal, xx% State How do I calculate this? I think 15%, though I could be wrong.

State of Residence: South Carolina

Desired Asset allocation: 100% US Stocks
Desired International allocation: 0%

I want 100% US Stocks for ease of success across accounts. I spend way too much time tinkering otherwise, to be honest.

Current portfolio:

Investments Total: $43,000 (approx.)

TIAA

403b: $27,649.64 (100% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Admiral Mutual Fund)
Variable Annuity: $7269.19 (100% CREF Equity Index R1). (Note: During my first year, my employer wouldn't let me into my 403b, so I used this Variable Annuity instead. I now realize this was not a smart move).

Vanguard

Roth IRA: $6,831.28 (100% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Admiral Mutual Fund)
Taxable Brokerage Account: $1,064.02 (99% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Exchange Traded Fund)
EDITED TO ADD NEW Traditional IRA: $100/month will be VTI initially. (Thanks Watty!)

Israel Bonds

$425.08 Note: (three smallish bonds, all maturing in 2021). I tried to get Israel Bonds to let me sell these prior to maturity and they would not allow me to do that.

Cash Holdings:

Approximately $2,500 across two checking accounts and one savings account.

Some background:

This group has helped me a TON to consolidate and simplify things. I really could not pay you all what you're worth to me. My financial picture is infinitely clearer now. I did Dave Ramsey's financial program and paid for my house (baby step seven) but realized that living without credit cards is not really feasible for me. (Sorry, Dave. Truly, sometimes I wish I could just go all in, but it seems inadvisable given the importance of a credit score--which for me is somewhere in the 700s now)

I have also read (or more specifically listened to) several books this summer, including Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad Poor Dad and David Bach's The Automatic Millionaire. I welcome more audiobook suggestions (I like to listen while working out).

Current automation:

My current automation looks like this:

1) $100/month into VG Brokerage Settlement Fund
2) $100/month into VG Roth IRA VG Ttl Stk Mkt Adm Fund
3) $100/month into Emergency Fund MMA
4) Edited to Add: $100/month into VG Trad IRA Settlement Fund (will be VTI)

(these four from main checking on 11th day of month)

5) 15% gross auto from paycheck through employer into ROTH 403b (100% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Admiral Mutual Fund)
6) 0% gross into PreTax 403b

Questions:

1) How do I truly automate my portfolio? What have folks experiences been with automation? Should I automate through payroll at work, or through Vanguard, or both?

2) How much should I be contributing to my 403b plans? I have access to both a Roth 403b and a Pretax 403b. Most of the amount in my 403b is in Pretax at the moment, about $1,000 in the 403b is in a Roth 403b. My match is 4% (it goes into Pretax, unless I am only contributing to Roth 403b, then it goes into Roth 403b). Because of Dave Ramsey, I'm stuck on 15% in my head. David Bach says as much as 20% is good. Grant Cardone and Robert Kiyosaki say that 403b's are not good vehicles. Thoughts?

3) Simplicity is key for me. I tend to make everything too complicated. That's part of why I moved into 100% US Stocks, I was over analyzing everything. When I've succeeded in the past at retirement investing, it has been through doing a huge chunk (i.e. 15%) into the 403b with each paycheck. Would like to be better about building the assets in my retirement portfolio, ideally in an automatic way. Can anyone relate to my experience?

Thank you all. The Bogleheads are helping me learn and grow, and I am grateful.

P
Last edited by peterwantstosave on Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Watty

Re: Portfolio Checkup

Post by Watty » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:09 pm

I would suggest that you add the book "The Bogleheads Guide to Investing" to your reading list.

https://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Guide ... way&sr=8-3
peterwantstosave wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:43 am
Desired Asset allocation: 100% US Stocks
Desired International allocation: 0%

I want 100% US Stocks for ease of success across accounts. I spend way too much time tinkering otherwise, to be honest.
It would be good to consider using a Target Date fund like a 2050 fund in your are likely to retire in around 2050.

It is only 10% bonds which but that will make your portfolio less volatile which will help you during market swings.
peterwantstosave wrote:
My current automation looks like this:

1) $100/month into VG Brokerage Settlement Fund
2) $100/month into VG Roth IRA VG Ttl Stk Mkt Adm Fund
3) $100/month into Emergency Fund MMA
You might want to also save a bit each month into a car fund so that you will be able to pay cash when you need a replacement car.
peterwantstosave wrote:
Tax Rate: xx% Federal, xx% State How do I calculate this? I think 15%, though I could be wrong.
If you did your own taxes last year with tax software then you can make a dummy copy of last years tax return and then add $100 to your income to see how much your federal and state taxes increase.

I would guess that you would be in the 12% federal tax bracket(The old 15% federal tax bracket changed in the last tax cut, but it will revert to 15% in 2026 if no future tax laws are changed.)

In your situation choosing between a Roth and a deductible traditional Retirement account is not and easy choice but in the 12% federal tax bracket I would lean towards saving in the deductible account because you can save more in the deductible account. For example you can save;

1) $1,000 in a deductible account
or
2) $880 in a Roth after paying $120 in federal taxes(plus state taxes)

One of the main reasons that I would favor the deductible over the Roth is that is sounds like you are single and single people get into the higher tax brackets real quick. If you are married when you retire then you could be in a lower tax bracket then. For example;

1) An over 65 married couple can have over $100K in taxable income and still be in the 12% federal tax bracket.
2) An over 65 married couple can have $30K in taxable income and $30K in Social Security and pay almost no Federal income taxes.

One of the reasons that the "Roth vs Traditional" choice is so hard is that for most people the best solution is to have some of both so the money you already have in the Roths will be very handy some day. There is a wiki on this choice.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Traditional_versus_Roth

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:30 pm

Thanks Watty.

Per your recommendations, I added the book and also added a VG Trad IRA to my collection. I setup a $100/month auto transfer from my main checking account on the 11th into the VG settlement fund. I edited my original posting to include this new information.

One question: For the 2050 fund, that should be in the IRAs only, right? My understanding is to keep bonds out of taxable, correct?

P

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:24 pm

peterwantstosave wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:30 pm
One question: For the 2050 fund, that should be in the IRAs only, right? My understanding is to keep bonds out of taxable, correct?
That is correct, and the target date fund are always buying and selling funds to relance so that can also generate capital gains distributions in a taxable account.

I had missed that you were putting some money into taxable too but if that is non-retirement money then you would would basically invest that as a separate portfolio since it would be intended for some other goal.

Until you are maxin out all your retirement accounts I don't see any reason to put any retirement savings into a taxable account.

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:35 pm

thanks Watty. I appreciate your insight.

I am wondering: Should I also open up an HSA? Where is a good place? Fidelity? Vanguard doesn't offer HSAs, correct?

P

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:10 pm

peterwantstosave wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:35 pm
thanks Watty. I appreciate your insight.

I am wondering: Should I also open up an HSA? Where is a good place? Fidelity? Vanguard doesn't offer HSAs, correct?

P
If you are eligible for one and have the funds then I can't think of any reason not to.

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:41 pm

thank you

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:45 pm

peterwantstosave wrote:
I want 100% US Stocks for ease of success across accounts.
You mean "access" ??

Why would you "thinker" more with global stocks ? Which "thinkering" do you have in mind ?

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:00 pm

I actually mean success. I phrased that poorly. I should have said likelihood of success.

Regarding tinkering, if there's a mistake that it's possible to make with money, I've probably made it before. But I'm trying to focus on the future, not the past. This group, especially retiredjg and CyclingDuo, have been incredibly helpful to me.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:20 pm

You have done a great job consolidating and simplifying your accounts based on your various posts!

It looks like you have 4 cash accounts - CU MM for emergency fund (EF), 2 checking and 1 savings.

1. Is your CU money market account rate over 2%? If not, you could hold your EF in your Vanguard taxable account in VMMXX Prime money market fund currently with a compound 7-day SEC yield of 2.33%. Or you could use VMFXX Federal Money market fund which is 2.32% but may have a higher tax equivalent yield for you than VMMXX. VMFXX dividend income should be partially state tax exempt if you pay SC state taxes.

2. It looks like your EF holds 5-6 months of expenses. What is your target? Perhaps the $100/month you are adding to it could be reallocated to your 403b or IRA.

3. Do you need 2 checking and 1 savings account for $2,500 combined?

Good luck!

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:36 pm

thanks HomeStretch, I appreciate your insight.

1) No. It's pretty low, actually. 0.0something

2) Right now, my EF is at about 5 months, which is hopefully plenty. You're correct that the $100 bucks in the EF isn't really doing anything meaningful. Thanks for pointing this out. My yield is not that high, you're right that VG would be better for it. The problem is that I like the separation of emergency fund money and brokerage money. The brick and mortar bank down the block makes me feel good. Does that make sense?

3) Probably not. The savings account is required by the credit union, though. Maybe I could talk them out of it?

Good things to think about. Thank you HomeStretch, I'm getting there, with help from you and many others.

P

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:42 pm

peterwantstosave wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:36 pm
thanks HomeStretch, I appreciate your insight.

1) No. It's pretty low, actually. 0.0something

2) Right now, my EF is at about 5 months, which is hopefully plenty. You're correct that the $100 bucks in the EF isn't really doing anything meaningful. Thanks for pointing this out. My yield is not that high, you're right that VG would be better for it. The problem is that I like the separation of emergency fund money and brokerage money. The brick and mortar bank down the block makes me feel good. Does that make sense?

3) Probably not. The savings account is required by the credit union, though. Maybe I could talk them out of it?

Good things to think about. Thank you HomeStretch, I'm getting there, with help from you and many others.

P

If you are more comfortable holding your EF separately at a B&M bank, that’s what you should do. But if it’s paying close to 0%, maybe there’s another local bank or CU with better rates.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:43 am

peterwantstosave wrote:
Compare your taxable income, line 10 on the 2018 postcard size 1040 form, to a tax bracket chart like the one below.

http://www.moneychimp.com/features/tax_brackets.htm

It appears to me you are in the 12% bracket.

This is NOT a good reason to hold 100% stocks. :? You might as well learn how to do this now. You can "get away" with 100% stocks right not, but not for the rest of your lifetime.

You could put a bond fund in your 401k or buy Total Bond Market in the traditional IRA. Or both.

2) How much should I be contributing to my 403b plans? I have access to both a Roth 403b and a Pretax 403b. Most of the amount in my 403b is in Pretax at the moment, about $1,000 in the 403b is in a Roth 403b. My match is 4% (it goes into Pretax, unless I am only contributing to Roth 403b, then it goes into Roth 403b). Because of Dave Ramsey, I'm stuck on 15% in my head. David Bach says as much as 20% is good. Grant Cardone and Robert Kiyosaki say that 403b's are not good vehicles. Thoughts?
15% is a reasonable amount to put in your 403b. Or you could put that extra $100 a month in the 403b instead of into an IRA. That would make more sense to me than adding on an extra IRA.

Ignore advice not to use a 403b.

Your employer's match is not allowed to go into Roth 403b - it goes into traditional only.

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:36 am

thanks retiredjg. I'll find a way to diversify that keeps me from tinkering as much.

Two questions:
1) Which is better, pretax 403b or Roth 403b?

2) Any thoughts on how to "get out" of the variable annuity? Is that even possible?

P

sjt

Post by sjt » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:42 am

peterwantstosave wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:36 am

Of course it depends. If you deposit into Roth 403B, you pay federal and state income taxes on this money and it comes out tax free. If you choose pretax 403B, you are deferring taxes until you withdraw the money. The question becomes: will you be paying more or less tax when the money is withdrawn money compared to paying tax now? Often future tax rate is unknown, especially 20-30 years from now.
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:58 am

peterwantstosave wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:36 am
thanks retiredjg. I'll find a way to diversify that keeps me from tinkering as much.
Well, we could help you with that if you want. :happy

Neither is better. In your situation, I would use Roth because it is unlikely you will ever be in a tax bracket lower than 12%. Getting money into Roth status at 12% is a good thing.

You already have an amount in the pre-tax 403b and your match will still go to pre-tax. And if your income increases enough to get into the 22% bracket, it might be better to go back to pre-tax. But for now, I'd be using Roth 403b or mostly Roth 403b.
2) Any thoughts on how to "get out" of the variable annuity? Is that even possible?
Yes, it is possible, but I know little about it. There is a thing called a 1035 exchange you might want to look into. Vanguard has had some low cost variable annuities - they are going through a change right now, but that is where I would look first. They may direct you to the group that is taking over the Vanguard variable annuities.

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:01 am

Thanks retiredjg. If you have advice about not tinkering, I would welcome it. I sometimes feel that I'd be a more profitable investor if I automated my investments and only checked them once every five years.

Thanks for the Roth 403b encouragement.

Should I call VG and see if they'll let me do a 1035 exchange? Has anyone in the group had experience with moving variable annuities?

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:25 am

peterwantstosave wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:35 pm

P
You must have an eligible high-deductible health plan (HDHP) to contribute to an HSA. Such plans tend to advertise HSA compatibility very prominently, like in the name of the plan.

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:00 am

Retiredjg and all,

To keep from tinkering, I'm going to try out the following:

100% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Admiral in 403b
100% CREF BOND MARKET R1 in Variable Annuity
100% Vanguard International Stock Index Admiral in Vanguard ROTH IRA.

This is a traditional three fund portfolio, correct? And it may help me (keep me from tinkering) to dedicate each account to one slice.

Thoughts?

The benefit of cleaning up all my accounts is that now I can properly focus on things like asset allocation. Again, I'm thankful to the diehard and steadfast members of this group.

Peter

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:54 pm

This idea will not work for very long because there is no new money going into the variable annuity. So no new money going into bonds. :(

You could, however, set it up this way and then put some new money into bonds in the 403b. We don't know what bond funds are available there and we don't know how many dollars you are putting into the 403b each year - that would be helpful.

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Good point, retiredjg

Would you let me know if this is a better 3-fund option?

403B

CREF Bond Market R1 10%
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral 68%
iShares MSCI EAFE International Index K 22%

Annuity

CREF Bond Market R1 50%
CREF Stock R1 50%

Vanguard Roth IRA

Vanguard 2050 Target Retirenent Index Fund 100%

If I've got all of my Boglehead ducks in a row, I believe I've done this correctly (finally), I await feedback from the community.

As always, my thanks, Peter

I selected these from the following universe of options:

403b

INVESTMENT NAME
(INVESTMENT TYPE) MORNINGSTAR
RATING RISK GROSS
EXPENSE
RATIO CURRENT
VALUE
EQUITIES (12)
Baron Small Cap Fund Retail Class (Mutual Funds)

Morningstar rating equal to 3 stars
Average +1.3% $0.00
CREF Global Equities R1 (Variable Annuities)

Average +0.53% $0.00
CREF Growth R1 (Variable Annuities)

Morningstar rating equal to 4 stars
Average +0.49% $0.00
Delaware Small Cap Value Fund Institutional Class (Mutual Funds)

Above Average +0.9% $0.00
Dodge & Cox Stock Fund (Mutual Funds)

High +0.52% $0.00
JPMorgan U.S. Research Enhanced Equity A (Mutual Funds)

Average +0.85% $0.00
Lazard International Strategic Equity Portfolio Open Class (Mutual Funds)

Below Average +1.06% $0.00
Parnassus Core Equity Fund Inv Class Shares (Mutual Funds)
Morningstar rating equal to 5 stars
Above Average +0.87% $0.00
Vanguard Real Estate Index Fund Admiral (Mutual Funds)

Average +0.12% $0.00
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral (Mutual Funds) Above Average +0.04% $27,761.78
iShares MSCI EAFE International Index K (Mutual Funds)

Above Average +0.06% $0.00
iShares Russell 2000 Small-Cap Index K (Mutual Funds)

Above Average +0.1% $0.00
FIXED INCOME (2)
CREF Bond Market R1 (Variable Annuities)

Above Average +0.53% $0.00
CREF Inflation-Linked Bond R1 (Variable Annuities)

Below Average +0.48% $0.00
GUARANTEED (2)
TIAA Stable Value (Fixed Annuities) $0.00
TIAA Traditional (Fixed Annuities) $0.00
MONEY MARKET (1)
TIAA-CREF Money Market Fund - Retirement Class (Mutual Funds) +0.4% $0.00
MULTI-ASSET (11)
CREF Social Choice R1 (Variable Annuities)

Average +0.5% $0.00
JP Morgan Smart Retirement 2055 Fund A Class (Mutual Funds)

Below Average +1.05% $0.00
JPMorgan Smart Retirement 2020 Fund Class A (Mutual Funds)

Average +0.98% $0.00
JPMorgan Smart Retirement 2025 Fund Class A (Mutual Funds)

Average +0.99% $0.00
JPMorgan Smart Retirement 2030 Fund Class A (Mutual Funds)

Average +1% $0.00
JPMorgan Smart Retirement 2035 Fund Class A (Mutual Funds)

Average +1.01% $0.00
JPMorgan Smart Retirement 2040 Fund Class A (Mutual Funds)

Average +1.02% $0.00
JPMorgan Smart Retirement 2045 Fund Class A (Mutual Funds)

Below Average +1.03% $0.00
JPMorgan Smart Retirement 2050 Fund Class A (Mutual Funds)

Below Average +1.03% $0.00
JPMorgan Smart Retirement Income Fund Class A (Mutual Funds)

Above Average +0.97% $0.00
JPMorgan SmartRetirement 2060 Fund Class A (Mutual Funds) +1.76% $0.00
REAL ESTATE (1)
TIAA Real Estate (Variable Annuities) Low +0.83% $0.00

ANNUITY

All available investment options
more filters
Select to expand or collapseFilter your investment options
INVESTMENT NAME
(INVESTMENT TYPE) MORNINGSTAR
RATING RISK GROSS
EXPENSE
RATIO CURRENT
VALUE
EQUITIES (4)
CREF Equity Index R1 (Variable Annuities) Average +0.47% $7,298.67
CREF Global Equities R1 (Variable Annuities)

Average +0.53% $0.00
CREF Growth R1 (Variable Annuities)

Average +0.49% $0.00
CREF Stock R1 (Variable Annuities)

Above Average +0.56% $0.00
FIXED INCOME (2)
CREF Bond Market R1 (Variable Annuities)

Above Average +0.53% $0.00
CREF Inflation-Linked Bond R1 (Variable Annuities)

Below Average +0.48% $0.00
GUARANTEED (1)
TIAA Traditional (Fixed Annuities) $0.00
MONEY MARKET (1)
CREF Money Market R1 (Variable Annuities) +0.48% $0.00
MULTI-ASSET (1)
CREF Social Choice R1 (Variable Annuities)

Average +0.5% $0.00
REAL ESTATE (1)
TIAA Real Estate (Variable Annuities) Low +0.83% $0.00
Click on any investment name for a link to the current prospectus and statement of additional information.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:36 pm

peterwantstosave wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:14 pm
Good point, retiredjg

Would you let me know if this is a better 3-fund option?

403B

CREF Bond Market R1 10%
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral 68%
iShares MSCI EAFE International Index K 22%

Annuity

CREF Bond Market R1 50%
CREF Stock R1 50%

Vanguard Roth IRA

Vanguard 2050 Target Retirenent Index Fund 100%

If I've got all of my Boglehead ducks in a row, I believe I've done this correctly (finally), I await feedback from the community.
This is one way of doing things. But first, tell me what you want to achieve? What stock to bond ratio do you want? How much international do you want?

About your variable annuity, not sure you will accomplish much by moving that - it's about as low cost as you will find.

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:47 pm

Thanks for keeping the conversation going, retiredjg.

What I want is a good question. I want financial peace (staying the course) and financial growth (wealth-building).

Something like 68US/22INTL/10BOND overall would be good, but I'm not terribly concerned about the ratio. I think I'd like to keep costs low and contributions high. Automation would be good, too.

Hope this helps, P
Last edited by peterwantstosave on Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:50 pm

You are relatively close to that. Might want to use 90/10 in the Annuity as well, but it won't matter much since the account is small.

Your 403b and Roth IRA contributions are automated. You won't need to rebalance the Roth IRA. Once every year or so, rebalance in the 403b if you need to.

You really are doing a good job of saving money. I know the balances are growing slowly because your contributions are not huge, but your savings rate for your salary is excellent.

Just keep on....

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:04 pm

thank you retiredjg, I appreciate your insight very much

I think I also want to avoid unnecessary overlap. If anyone has suggestions about how to do that, I would welcome them.

To cover all three funds, should I do something like:

80% Vang Total Stock Adm, 10% CREF BOND MARKET R1, 10% IShares International Index (403b)
100% CREF BOND MARKET R1 (Annuity)
50% Vang Intl Idx & 50% Vang Bond Idx (Roth IRA)

OR

68TOTALSTKADM/22INTL/10BOND (403b)
50 STOCK R1 / 50 BOND R1 (Annuity)
100 2050 (Roth IRA)

OR

68TOTALSTKADM/22INTL/10BOND (403b)
50 STOCK R1 / 50 BOND R1 (Annuity)
50% Total World Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares and 50% Total Bond Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (Roth IRA)

OR

considering the available options, is there something even better that I have yet to consider?

THANKS

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:06 am

Remember when I said "this is one way of doing things?" Well, it's time to talk about the "other way of doing things" because you don't seem to realize that your 3 choices all have different stock to bond ratios.

You are looking at each account individually without considering how large each account is in relation to the others. That is fine if you have the same stock to bond ratios in all the accounts but that is not what you are doing.

Let's look at your portfolio - Investments Total: $43,000 (approx.)

Taxable Brokerage Account: $1,064.02
99% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Exchange Traded Fund

403b: $27,649.64
100% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Admiral Mutual Fund

Variable Annuity: $7269.19
100% CREF Equity Index R1

Roth IRA: $6,831.28
100% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Admiral Mutual Fund

Before going further, what is the money in the taxable account for? Do you consider it retirement money or is that for things like your next car, home repair, etc.?

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:52 am

Hi, retiredjg,

thank you for your continued help.

To answer your question:

The money in the taxable account doesn't have a specific purpose. It's not serving a specific need.

If I understand your broader comment correctly, you're encouraging me to consider my entire portfolio all together, is that right?

I welcome your insight about how to make each of my retirement accounts (403b, Roth and Annuity) work together best

Appreciatively, P

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:09 am

peterwantstosave wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:52 am
The money in the taxable account doesn't have a specific purpose. It's not serving a specific need.
If it is not for a purpose, why not put that money into Roth IRA instead?

If I understand your broader comment correctly, you're encouraging me to consider my entire portfolio all together, is that right?
Yes. I just didn't know if the taxable account is part of the portfolio or not.

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:24 am

NEWEST EDIT:

I believe I like how the following feels:

403B

90% Vanguard Total Stock Market Admiral
10% CREF Bond R1

ANNUITY

100% CREF BOND R1

ROTH IRA

100% Vanguard International Index Admiral

I think I'd like my pieces to be Vanguard Total Stock Admiral, Vanguard International Stock Admiral and CREF Bond R1. (There's nothing wrong with the IShares Intl (it's amazing that it is included in my 403b) but I don't really need it if I have access to VG Intl in the Roth IRA.

>>>>

From earlier:

I wouldn't mind putting the brokerage money into the Roth at all. Thank you for the suggestion. It would probably help me (conceptually) to close the brokerage account after making the contribution. That way, I would be dealing with only tax-deferred retirement accounts.

And I appreciate your nudging me toward holistic consideration. It's helpful.

Knowing what you know about investing, how might I achieve a 68/22/10 distribution across all my accounts?

I keep playing with the simplest way to achieve one US stock fund, one bond fund and one international fund. (See evidence of my play in the strikethrough).

NEW EDIT:

403B

VTSAX 60%
CREF BOND R1 40%

ANNUITY

CREF BOND R1 100%

ROTH IRA

VANGUARD INTERNATIONAL ADM 100%

Does this work?

(Earlier thoughts below vvvv)

EDIT: I think I stumbled backward into something that could work, thanks for guiding me to it. I wouldn't have found it so quickly myself.

Vanguard Total Stock Market Admiral Index (100% in 403b), contribute 15% of more per pay period.
Vanguard International Stock Admiral (50% of Roth IRA), max out per pay period.
Vanguard Total Bond Market Admiral (50% of Roth IRA), max out per pay period
CREF Bond R1 (100% Annuity)

OR

I could also do:

This one seems like it's ultimate simplicity to me ^

Or

403b

90% EQUITIES
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral $18,908.50
iShares MSCI EAFE International Index K $6,117.45
10% FIXED INCOME
CREF Bond Market R1

CREF BOND MARKET R1 (100% ANNUITY)
VANGUARD TOTAL WORLD INDEX ADMIRAL (100% ROTH IRA), max out per pay period.

I think I like #3 best.

Thoughts?

Thanks as always, Peter

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:25 am

Good morning, everyone!

Grateful for all the engagement.

Here's how my retirement portfolio looks, taking into account all of the advice:

VTSAX
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares
$25,126.41

QCBMRX
CREF Bond Market
$128.32
$10,117.41

VTIAX
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares
$6,879.78

Automation of Future Contributions:

Roth 403b @ 15% of Paycheck
90% VTSAX and 10% QCBMRX

Roth IRA @ Max Per Month, from Main Checking Account
50% VTSAX and 50% VTIAX

Note: I also have an annuity that I am no longer contributing to, which is 100% QCBMRX

I welcome any/all advice.

I love how much simpler my retirement portfolio has become, by embracing the three fund portfolio and closing all of my old accounts. Thank you to the Bogleheads.

P

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:35 am

First, thanks for posting again. The link for your thread fell off my "reminder place". :(

Knowing what you know about investing, how might I achieve a 68/22/10 distribution across all my accounts?
It takes two steps and they each require you to look at your portfolio as a whole. By that I mean looking at each holding as a percentage of the whole thing.
  • 1) Set the portfolio up at 68/22/10

2) Set your contributions up at 68/22/10 (or something reasonably close)

Let's look at step one - setting it up at 68/22/10....

• VTSAX Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares
    336.05 <--what is this?
    $25,126.41

QCBMRX
    CREF Bond Market
    78.85 <--what is this?
    $128.32
    $10,117.41

VTIAX
    242.33 <--what is this?
    $6,879.78

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:30 am

Good morning and apologies for the confusion, those numbers are the number of shares for the respective asset. Hope this helps, P

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:36 am

VTSAX Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares $25,126.41

QCBMRX CREF Bond Market $128.32 + $10,117.41

VTIAX Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares $6,879.78

The total is $42,250

Total Stock is 60%
Total Bond is 24%
Total International is 16%

That's not what you want so that is not a good way to divide up your money at this point.

We need to back up and start over at the beginning. I'm unclear where your money is right now because I think you've moved some of it since we started and the total we are working with now is not the same as the total we had before.

Can you list your accounts and how much money is in each of them please? Also, please check for a pm (private message).

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:44 am

Sure, retiredjg, glad to do it. Thanks also for your PM. I responded and I hope my response makes sense.

As of this morning at 8:25am ET ;-), it looks like this:

Vanguard Roth IRA:
1. Vanguard Total International $6,879.78
2. Cash . $603.71

TIAA Annuity:
1. CREF Bond Market . $7,325.58

TIAA 403b:

1. Vanguard Total Stock Mar $25,126.41
2. CREF Bond Market $2,791.82

Total: $42K

>>

What I'm trying to achieve is:

68% US Stocks
22% International Stocks
10% Bonds

Hope this helps, P

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:20 am

So sorry, I completely messed up this post so it does not look like it should look. I can only put part of it back.

Total: $42,727

TIAA 403b ($27,918) 65.3% of portfolio
58.8% Vanguard Total Stock Mar ($25,126.41)
6.5% CREF Bond Market ($2,791.82)

Vanguard Roth IRA ($7,483) 17.5% of portfolio
16.1% Vanguard Total International ($6,879.78)
1.4% Cash ($603.71)

TIAA Annuity ($7,326) 17.1% of portfolio
17.1% CREF Bond Market . ($7,325.58)

Portfolio right now is 58.8% Us stock, 16.1% International Stock, and 25% bonds.
Last edited by retiredjg on Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:38 am

yes, we're together

appreciate the help

keep it coming

p

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:50 am

Total: $42,727

TIAA 403b ($27,918) 65.3% of portfolio <--no changes

16.1% Vanguard Total International ($6,879.78)
1.4% Cash ($603.71) <--move this to International

17.1% CREF Bond Market . ($7,325.58) <---split this to 3.5% bonds and 13.6% US stocks

This will give you 72.4% US stocks and 17.5% International stocks and 10% bonds and it looks like this....

TIAA 403b ($27,918) 65.3% of portfolio

17.5%% Vanguard Total International ($6,879.78)

13.6% US stocks
3.5% bonds

Still together?

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:05 am

Absolutely.

I've completed each of these tasks.

Best way to automate, to maintain allocation going forward?

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:33 am

peterwantstosave wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:05 am
If the portfolio were the 68/22/10 that you wanted, you would split up your contributions to 68/22/10 and let it ride a year. (I'll show you how to do this.) However, you have too much US stock and not enough international stock (which is something to fix eventually but not really a problem).

You can fix that two ways.

1) Add enough money to Roth right now to get it up to 22%. (about $2,400 maybe)

2) Make your contributions something like 50/40/10 for the rest of the year. I don't know where that would get you, but it is headed in the right direction.

Which approach do you prefer? One, the other, or a combination?

How much money in dollars do you plan to put in each account for the rest of 2019? Be sure that you don't go over $6k total for Roth IRA for 2019 (including what you have already put there). If you want to add to the Roth IRA right now, how much do you have available?

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:06 am

peterwantstosave wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:05 am
After you adjust your contribution allocation with retiredjg’s help, your portfolio will now be at your desired allocation. From time to time, you may need to rebalance by manually adjusting your invested account balances if they become significantly out-of-balance from your desired allocation due to contribution amount changes and market fluctuations.

ETA:
If you don’t have an Investment Policy Statement (IPS), you may find one useful as it could include guidelines for rebalancing. Below is a link to the wiki. There are also BH IPS threads.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investm ... _statement
Last edited by HomeStretch on Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:50 pm

Thank you, retiredjg and HomeStretch, I think I prefer 50/40/10 because it is in keeping with the three-fund portfolio spirit.

I have to go back and calculate how much Roth IRA space I have left, because I don't want to overcontribute for '19. I know I am not over contributed at the moment, but with all of the transfers (which have now settled--yay--Parnassus settled today... I need to do the math to be sure that I don't overcontribute.)

With my 15% automation from paycheck, the monthly average contribution into the 403b (incl. Match) is $747)

Could I do 50/40/10 into the Roth 403b through December 31 and call it good for now?

Vanguard Total Stock Market Admiral 50%
iShares MSCI EAFE International Index K 40%
CREF BOND MARKET R1 10%

Then, in 2020, adjust percentages to maintain allocation, max out Roth IRA contributions and get as close to 19K as I can in the 403b?

Let me know if this works.

You all are wonderful.

Appreciatively, Peter

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:03 pm

peterwantstosave wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:50 pm
I have to go back and calculate how much Roth IRA space I have left, because I don't want to overcontribute for '19. I know I am not over contributed at the moment, but with all of the transfers (which have now settled--yay--Parnassus settled today... I need to do the math to be sure that I don't overcontribute.)
Transfers do not count, only contributions.

With my 15% automation from paycheck, the monthly average contribution into the 403b (incl. Match) is $747)

Could I do 50/40/10 into the Roth 403b through December 31 and call it good for now?

Vanguard Total Stock Market Admiral 50%
iShares MSCI EAFE International Index K 40%
CREF BOND MARKET R1 10%
This is not what I had in mind. I was planning to only put the Total Stock and the Bond into the 403b and all the international into the Roth IRA.

But it does bring up a different scenario that is possible.

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:07 pm

Good to know. retiredjg, you really do know the answer to almost all of my investing questions, and I am grateful for your knowledge and participation. Truly.

I should probably max out all the Roth space I have first, and then max out the 403b space, is that the order people usually do it in, or does it happen concurrently? Sorry for what I'm sure is a newbie question.

P

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:12 pm

You can do them both at the same time. Or not. It doesn't really matter.

How many dollars (if any) can you contribute to Roth IRA right now? From savings?

How many dollars are left in your $6k limit for Roth IRA this year?

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:23 pm

peterwantstosave wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:07 pm
I should probably max out all the Roth space I have first, and then max out the 403b space, is that the order people usually do it in, or does it happen concurrently?
I don’t think it matters unless you receive an employer 403b match per pay period where you would miss out on your full match if you didn’t contribute enough each pay period.

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:59 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:12 pm
You can do them both at the same time. Or not. It doesn't really matter.
Thanks
How many dollars (if any) can you contribute to Roth IRA right now? From savings?
I could contribute some to ROTH IRA, about $500 now.
How many dollars are left in your $6k limit for Roth IRA this year?
In 2019, I have contributed $1266.99 at Vanguard and $589.99 at Parnassus, for a grand total of $1856.98. This means I have $4143.02 yet to contribute for FY 2019.
How would you recommend organizing my retirement contributions? In which order should I contribute? Roth first or 403b first? OR is the answer as above that it really does not matter?/color]

THANKS

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:14 pm

How little can you contribute to the 401k and still get the full match?

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:32 am

Good morning, all,

4%

And because I know how riveting the daily money movements I make are to you all, I'll mention that I contributed the last $114.50 from my Vanguard Taxable Brokerage account into my Roth IRA (VG INTL). This means that I've contributed $1381.49 at Vanguard and $589.99 at Parnassus for a grand total of $1971.48 into Roth IRAs in FY 2019. $4,028.52 left to contribute.

When I am able to do so (should be today or tomorrow) I will close the VG Taxable Brokerage account, which will leave me with 0 brokerage accounts, 1 Roth IRA, 1 403b and 1 variable annuity. To me, this simplicity is beautiful and I thank you all for it.

Here's my entire retirement portfolio as it stands, July 16 @ 6:30 am ET: $43,285.27

By Asset Class

$30,915.71 US Stocks (71.4%)
$7,607.68 International Stocks (17.5%)
$4,761.88 Bonds (11.0%)
$0 Cash (0%)

By Holding

VTSAX (403b)
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares
$25,119.69
VTIAX (Roth IRA)
$7,493.18
QCEQRX (Variable Annuity)
CREF Equity Index R1
$5,796.02
QCBMRX (403b & Variable Annuity)
CREF Bond Market R1
$4,336.80
STATE OF ISRAEL 7TH MAZEL TOV SAV 5Y 2.70 2021/10/01 (cannot sell prior to maturity)
$342.78
Cash (on way to VG INTL in Roth IRA)
$114.50
STATE OF ISRAEL 7TH EMITZVAH 5Y 2.75 2021/06/01 (cannot sell prior to maturity)
$41.23
STATE OF ISRAEL 7TH EMITZVAH 5Y 2.67 2021/04/01 (cannot sell prior to maturity)
$41.07

Comments welcome, could not have done it without you.

As always, my thanks,

P

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:10 am

What is your plan for adding money?

Topic Author
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:39 am

Through the end of the year, I'll autocontribute 15% into the Roth 403b at an asset allocation of 50/40/10.

I will also shovel any money I can into the ROTH IRA (VG INTL) up to the remaining contribution amount.

I welcome any advice/tips/ideas.

Appreciatively, Peter