Medicare vs Advantage Plans [how they affect the gov't]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
boater07

Medicare vs Advantage Plans [how they affect the gov't]

Post by boater07 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Curious whether anyone has seen studies how the plans work out for Medicare itself.
In other words what do they spend on each.

Topic Author
boater07

Re: Medicare vs Advantage Plans

Post by boater07 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:35 pm

Sorry--very poor title. Didn't mean to compare plans from consumer standpoint which has been covered many times.
Would like to know how the plans affect the govt.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:00 pm

I've read occasional articles on MA (private insurance after enrolling in Medicare ABD, that is, MA=Medicare C)vs. traditional Medicare (gov pay). I have not found anything that didn't have a political or business bias to it unfortunately.

Makes sense to me that we can only judge the system as a whole. Medicare and MA, with low reimbursement rates, do not cover the true cost of the healthcare they deliver. They ride on the coattails of the more expensive private plans offered to employees and working families. They are like a senior discount at a movie theatre. At least that's my current opinion.
16% cash 48% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:55 pm

boater07 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:35 pm
Sorry--very poor title. Didn't mean to compare plans from consumer standpoint which has been covered many times.
Would like to know how the plans affect the govt.
Topic Author can edit thread title

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:04 pm

I still don’t understand the question.

Munir

Post by Munir » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Christine_NM wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:00 pm
I've read occasional articles on MA (private insurance after enrolling in Medicare ABD, that is, MA=Medicare C)vs. traditional Medicare (gov pay). I have not found anything that didn't have a political or business bias to it unfortunately.

Makes sense to me that we can only judge the system as a whole. Medicare and MA, with low reimbursement rates, do not cover the true cost of the healthcare they deliver. They ride on the coattails of the more expensive private plans offered to employees and working families. They are like a senior discount at a movie theatre. At least that's my current opinion.
Insurance companies and the "middle people" are the bane of medical care in the US. The sooner we move to a universal health care system the better off we will be as a society and as individuals.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Medicare vs Advantage Plans [how they affect the gov't]

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:53 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.

The OP can change the thread title by editing the Subject: line in Post #1. (I clarified the thread title.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.