Bizarre Excel Problem

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BBQ Nut

Bizarre Excel Problem

Post by BBQ Nut » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:59 am

I've recently upgraded from a Windows 7 to Windows 10 Laptop.

I have copied over all of my data via a USB stick.

Everything seemed to be working fine - except today when I updated a spreadsheet which has quarterly dates for scheduled tasks I do.

When I updated the spreadsheet with my Summer quarter schedule and I went to print preview there were duplicate dates superimposed on each other for certain cells based on the cell on the first page.

The date I put into that first cell on the first page is forced into the cell at the top of each page break when I go to print preview.

I have zeroed out every cell that has a date to it, resaved the file, open the file, check that the cell is cleared, but then when I go back to print preview, the date from the first page is still there at the top of the other pages.

This never happened on the Win7 laptop.

WTH? :confused

DaftInvestor

Re: Bizarre Excel Problem

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Did you go into Page-Layout->Page-Setup->Header/Footer and assure you don't have something in the Header?
Also check Page-Layout->Page-Setup->Sheet and make sure there are no Print Titles or "Rows to Repeat", etc.

chemocean

Post by chemocean » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:29 pm

I think there major changes in printer drivers going between windows 7 and windows 10. Have you upgraded your printer driver to windows 10? I lost the ability to use an old Lexmark printer when converting from Window's 7 to Window 10 because Lexmark stop supporting this printer and there was no Windows 10 driver.

Topic Author
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:38 pm

I took a 'risk' and printed a copy and it turned out fine on the printer.

But the double dates on top of each other are there in Print Preview. Even if I select MS XPS Document Writer as the selected print device, the Print Preview display shows the dates superimposed on top of each other (but only the top cell for each page that has a date).

So, since I can print ok and the problem is still there with XPS Document Writer it isn't a print driver issue.

Bizarre.

batpot

Post by batpot » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:43 pm

try "printing" to PDF (a new feature in win 10), and then print the PDF.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:45 pm

So the problem only appears in Print Preview?
What version of Excel? Have you updated it or is it the same version you had been using on Win7?

Topic Author
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:00 pm

The version of Excel came on the Win10 laptop (Microsoft Office Home/Excel 365)

Same issue with printing to PDF: Print Preview shows dates superimposed, but I create the PDF document it is fine.

So, it is only in Print Preview.

:confused