Buy a new car now or wait: what's the math say?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
corn18

Re: Buy a new car now or wait: what's the math say?

Post by corn18 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:37 pm

I checked out the CX-5 Signature today. Very nice car and a great value. It is $20k cheaper than a similarly equipped german. And the long term maintenance costs should be affordable. Now I need to find a way to get my wife to agree!
Don't do something, just stand there!

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:06 pm

corn18 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:37 pm
I checked out the CX-5 Signature today. Very nice car and a great value. It is $20k cheaper than a similarly equipped german. And the long term maintenance costs should be affordable. Now I need to find a way to get my wife to agree!
I think a lot of posters have gotten the math wrong. Their comparing of this model vs that model doesn't make sense. A rear-wheel drive BMW 330 offers a different experience than a front-wheel drive Acura ILX (fancy Honda Civic). Except it only does so under more "enthusiastic" driving conditions. Ask me how I know.

For your runabout grocery-getting duties, any modern car with nice seats and climate control is virtually indistinguishable. In order to really answer your question about whether to buy a car, your wife needs to articulate what it is she actually wants.

Is it just a shiny new metal body so her friends and neighbors will be impressed? Perfectly valid reason in my book. I've bought cars for exactly this reason
Is it because she's bored with her commute and wants more autonomous driving features? I use adaptive cruise control every day. Driving any other car in traffic is now an unbearable chore
Does she want something sportier and faster? The last three cars I owned went from 200HP to 300HP and now 400HP. Each step has been a noticeable improvement

Until you start answering questions like these, maintenance and reliability are trivial (especially for new cars under warranty). The more time you spend in the car, the more important it is that you love it. Some people aren't picky. Some people are. The CX-5 is 80% of a Macan at half the price. But depending on the person's needs/wants, that extra 20% may not be negotiable.

Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:55 pm

wabbajack wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:06 pm
corn18 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:37 pm
I think a lot of posters have gotten the math wrong. Their comparing of this model vs that model doesn't make sense. A rear-wheel drive BMW 330 offers a different experience than a front-wheel drive Acura ILX (fancy Honda Civic). Except it only does so under more "enthusiastic" driving conditions. Ask me how I know.

For your runabout grocery-getting duties, any modern car with nice seats and climate control is virtually indistinguishable. In order to really answer your question about whether to buy a car, your wife needs to articulate what it is she actually wants.

Is it just a shiny new metal body so her friends and neighbors will be impressed? Perfectly valid reason in my book. I've bought cars for exactly this reason
Is it because she's bored with her commute and wants more autonomous driving features? I use adaptive cruise control every day. Driving any other car in traffic is now an unbearable chore
Does she want something sportier and faster? The last three cars I owned went from 200HP to 300HP and now 400HP. Each step has been a noticeable improvement

Until you start answering questions like these, maintenance and reliability are trivial (especially for new cars under warranty). The more time you spend in the car, the more important it is that you love it. Some people aren't picky. Some people are. The CX-5 is 80% of a Macan at half the price. But depending on the person's needs/wants, that extra 20% may not be negotiable.
All spot on. Since this is for my wife, I am only considering the finances. For her, I THINK she wants a shiny new object and a status symbol. But she is open to discussion. Fortunately, she doesn't want high performance. She does want safety features but not interested in auto drive (she barely uses cruise control which drives me nuts).

For now, her itch has subsided. She is practical and mentioned that her car is perfectly fine right now. Yeah!

Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:59 pm

UPDATE:

Went and drove a bunch of cars today. She likes the X3 the best.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:04 am

Flyer24 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:42 pm
I vote for time to make the purchase. My wife will not drive one over 100K miles.
I don't want my wife to drive one over 100k miles. Although we have been pushing Toyotas to maybe 120k miles.

The chances of trouble just keep increasing after that, and we can afford it.

KandT

Post by KandT » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:09 am

corn18 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:59 pm
UPDATE:

Went and drove a bunch of cars today. She likes the X3 the best.
At least give a Tesla a test drive. The "worries" about a Tesla are because of not understanding the technology. We have had our Model 3 dual motor for 5000 miles with 0 problems. We need 0 oil changes. My wife has needed to stop at a super charger exactly 1 time. Everyday you start out with a full "tank" so she never needs to stop at a gas station. This is really a Tesla advantage that has been spun into a liability. I have a company car and can't stand stopping at a gas station now.

I know she is not interested in performance but if you are it rocks!

The software updates actually improve the car as you own it. I have never had a car that got better as you owned it. Nice large touch panel display with great navigation. You can even turn the air conditioning on via your phone (no motor that needs to run) before you get in and it will be comfortable right away.

Electricity is cheaper and cleaner than gas so you have a long term savings there.

It is simply a beautiful high performance car. The only complaint I have is now I notice how much pollution a typical car gives off and how loud they are. The Tesla is whisper quiet.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:29 am

She's got the itch for a new car. Then the next issue is buy now or wait. I think you do not have a problem if it is now or wait. It should be now or not. But a wife with the itch is hard to counter. Unless you bring the conversation back to now , or not, you may as well go buy the car. You are already into it listening to replies here concerning maintainence, German cars, etc. you are past the point of the original question. Unless your wife makes a U turn on her desire and itch, go forward. You may (are) be in a losing game. You make it sound like it is a math problem, but it is not.

Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:21 pm

Another Update:

Drove the X3 3.0 and M40i. Guess which one she likes (me too!). The M40i. Drives very nice with the adaptive M suspension. And the 6 cylinder turbo is more than adequate.

Configuration set, go in to order tomorrow. Supposedly a 3 week build time.