Buy a new car now or wait: what's the math say?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
corn18

Re: Buy a new car now or wait: what's the math say?

Post by corn18 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:37 pm

I checked out the CX-5 Signature today. Very nice car and a great value. It is $20k cheaper than a similarly equipped german. And the long term maintenance costs should be affordable. Now I need to find a way to get my wife to agree!
Don't do something, just stand there!

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:06 pm

corn18 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:37 pm
I checked out the CX-5 Signature today. Very nice car and a great value. It is $20k cheaper than a similarly equipped german. And the long term maintenance costs should be affordable. Now I need to find a way to get my wife to agree!
I think a lot of posters have gotten the math wrong. Their comparing of this model vs that model doesn't make sense. A rear-wheel drive BMW 330 offers a different experience than a front-wheel drive Acura ILX (fancy Honda Civic). Except it only does so under more "enthusiastic" driving conditions. Ask me how I know.

For your runabout grocery-getting duties, any modern car with nice seats and climate control is virtually indistinguishable. In order to really answer your question about whether to buy a car, your wife needs to articulate what it is she actually wants.

Is it just a shiny new metal body so her friends and neighbors will be impressed? Perfectly valid reason in my book. I've bought cars for exactly this reason
Is it because she's bored with her commute and wants more autonomous driving features? I use adaptive cruise control every day. Driving any other car in traffic is now an unbearable chore
Does she want something sportier and faster? The last three cars I owned went from 200HP to 300HP and now 400HP. Each step has been a noticeable improvement

Until you start answering questions like these, maintenance and reliability are trivial (especially for new cars under warranty). The more time you spend in the car, the more important it is that you love it. Some people aren't picky. Some people are. The CX-5 is 80% of a Macan at half the price. But depending on the person's needs/wants, that extra 20% may not be negotiable.

Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:55 pm

wabbajack wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:06 pm
corn18 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:37 pm
I think a lot of posters have gotten the math wrong. Their comparing of this model vs that model doesn't make sense. A rear-wheel drive BMW 330 offers a different experience than a front-wheel drive Acura ILX (fancy Honda Civic). Except it only does so under more "enthusiastic" driving conditions. Ask me how I know.

For your runabout grocery-getting duties, any modern car with nice seats and climate control is virtually indistinguishable. In order to really answer your question about whether to buy a car, your wife needs to articulate what it is she actually wants.

Is it just a shiny new metal body so her friends and neighbors will be impressed? Perfectly valid reason in my book. I've bought cars for exactly this reason
Is it because she's bored with her commute and wants more autonomous driving features? I use adaptive cruise control every day. Driving any other car in traffic is now an unbearable chore
Does she want something sportier and faster? The last three cars I owned went from 200HP to 300HP and now 400HP. Each step has been a noticeable improvement

Until you start answering questions like these, maintenance and reliability are trivial (especially for new cars under warranty). The more time you spend in the car, the more important it is that you love it. Some people aren't picky. Some people are. The CX-5 is 80% of a Macan at half the price. But depending on the person's needs/wants, that extra 20% may not be negotiable.
All spot on. Since this is for my wife, I am only considering the finances. For her, I THINK she wants a shiny new object and a status symbol. But she is open to discussion. Fortunately, she doesn't want high performance. She does want safety features but not interested in auto drive (she barely uses cruise control which drives me nuts).

For now, her itch has subsided. She is practical and mentioned that her car is perfectly fine right now. Yeah!
Don't do something, just stand there!