Virgin Mobile has become a joke for NYC service

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Rob5TCP

Virgin Mobile has become a joke for NYC service

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:44 am

For 5 days, I've been unable to receive/send data with Virgin Mobile. Four hours on the phone with different reps have gotten the following:

1. There is nothing wrong with your area
2. They are upgrading your service and it may be 2-4 days before it is back to normal (no notice of this anywhere).
3. we are having some issues with your service
4. We are not sure when we can resolve your issue. "We are working hard to give you the best customer service."

The service has been fair at best. Since July 3rd, it's been from bad to worse.

The only great thing about Virgin Mobile was it's $35 per month charge.

PS to get internet - I have to walk 15 blocks north/south to get service.
I live by the FDR drive and 18th street.

What service do people in NYC use (other than the big 4).
Last edited by Rob5TCP on Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bloom2708

Re: Virgin Mobile has become a joke for NYC service

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:52 am

Both TotalWireless.com (Verizon) and CricketWireless.com (AT&T) have competitive ~$35 plans with 5GB data.

We have 5 Unlimited lines on Cricket for $125/month including all taxes and fees. The plans get cheaper with more phones or shared lines on TotalWireless.

I would port to Cricket with that type of mess. MintMobile.com is another option (T-Mobile).
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

Topic Author
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:58 am

Your in Fargo, I am trying to find out how service is for people close to me.

I gave them until Friday to come up with an answer (they won't have it and will just ask for more time).

I will check out Cricket and Total Wireless to see how the service is by me.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:01 am

Try looking for neighborhood groups on nextdoor or facebook to get information on the cell reception where you live rather than a nationwide message board.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 am

Why you would pay Virgin Mobile $35/mo for 5gb of unusable data on the Sprint network when you could have 6gb of Verizon for $35/mo is beyond me.

Topic Author
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:16 am

When I started with them many many years ago -- they had the best options (less than 1/2 of what I was paying at Verizon).

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:27 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 am
Why you would pay Virgin Mobile $35/mo for 5gb of unusable data on the Sprint network when you could have 6gb of Verizon for $35/mo is beyond me.
There’s no guarantee that Verizon coverage is any better where OP specifically needs to use it. Which is why replies from people who don’t live in NYC aren’t particularly helpful.

Besides, WiFi hotspots are all over the place so for me (not in NYC) it barely matters what carrier I have.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:00 pm

TropikThunder wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:27 am
Jags4186 wrote:
There’s no guarantee that Verizon coverage is any better where OP specifically needs to use it. Which is why replies from people who don’t live in NYC aren’t particularly helpful.

Besides, WiFi hotspots are all over the place so for me (not in NYC) it barely matters what carrier I have.
I’m in Manhattan 2x a week. And as someone who has both Sprint (corporate phone) and Verizon (personal) I can tell you that almost universally Sprint has poorer coverage than Verizon. Sure you may stroll directly underneath a Sprint tower and have faster speeds once in a blue moon, but I would say 99% of the time Verizon is a better performing network.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:26 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:44 am

What service do people in NYC use (other than the big 4).
Just across the Hudson we use Cricket, 5 lines for $125/mo, taxes and fees included, unlimited data. In earlier discussions, technophiles here have explained how this is slower in some cases than ATT plans, Cricket being an ATT subsidiary that uses the same network. But as a practical matter with our usage patterns (two people ca. 60, three 20's/30's) we notice no difference from the ATT plan we used to have except Cricket is ~$70 a month cheaper, not including overage charges we used to often get on ATT for up to several $10's/mo. Nor do the two members of the plan who work in Brooklyn complain about how it works there, nor have I noticed any difference when I'm in the City time to time. Among those plan members the first two used very little data on ATT, usually at home on wi-fi not big data users anyway; other three used to use enough to regularly go over ATT 15GB plan limit though I know even that's not a *huge* amount compared to some people. They are often on wi-fi in their offices or homes too.

cacophony

Post by cacophony » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:29 pm

Just search "red pocket plan" on eBay (don't use the quotes in the actual search). I have a yearly plan that gives this monthly: 5GB LTE (+3GB reduced speed after), "unlimited" calls (actually 7,500 minutes), "unlimited" texts (actually 15,000). I only pay about $16/month because I got it on sale around black friday. The regular price is only $20/month though. This particular plan can be used with AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint. They also have other plans that work with Verizon too. Lots of different plan options depending on your usage.

Topic Author
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:20 pm

After my most recent conversation with them - and it becoming apparent that I am being lied to
(for what reason I can not fathom); this weekend I begin to look at alternatives including
Cricket and Total.
My data usage is about .5 - 1GB/month since most of my work requires me to be at a full size PC.

Thank you for the suggestions.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Virgin Mobile (just a Sprint brand) also has awful customer service and a very limited site.

There really is no way to contact a live human through their IVR (or wasn't 1-2 years ago). The option does not exist on their menus. You have to Google and find some magical combination of keys to do it. What sort of brand doesn't give you a way to contact a live operator ?

You have to see if your phone is compatible with other carriers. Some phones from Sprint use Bands that other carriers can't.

jaxinvestor

Post by jaxinvestor » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:43 pm

I have found that posting a tweet about your situation and tagging @VMUcare gets faster results than calling them. Not saying that Twitter ought to be the optimal method to support your customers but it does seem to work..... Good Luck.

Topic Author
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:46 pm

I've gotten a human support person (offshore).
First they said my phone. Then when I explained that walking 5-10 blocks
gives me a signal; they changed that tune.
Then they said they were working on the tower in my area.
Then they weren't.
Then they were again, but couldn't give me a date when (if)
it would ever work by me).
That was the final straw today.
Just the lies and the b.s. contradicting one another with the same
information about my phone in front of them (I had the same case # the
whole time).

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:55 pm

Op

I recommend Straight Talk via Walmart

https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal ... rviceplans

It is currently $35 not including tax for 3GB of data, they will allow for you to port your number.

For $45 I get 25 GB of data, it comes out to be $48 with tax.

You don't have to physically go to Walmart to get a phone, the sub carrier are one of the four carriers like everyone else who are not major carriers uses their services.

You can select carrier and have phone mailed to you.

My phone and carrier was assigned to Verzion and purchased at the Garfield NJ Walmart store.

Their sales folks were surprisingly very helpful it took two hours to set up, which was the same amount of time Costco used to transfer my cell from Verizon to TMobile.

I had three cell carriers since 1999, ATT, since 2001 Verizon, then TMobile 2015-2017 and Verizon via Straight Talk.

Sprint is the worst service in NYC based on my friend using it, ATT when i had it a voicemail would come a day later. Not good for important messages like meeting for a date.

Also

Opensignal.com has app which will show you which cell service is carried in you most used area.

I found this particularly helpful when i am upstate and see no service at all.

Good luck

Topic Author
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:47 pm

I've narrowed the choice down to Straight Talk vs. TotalWireless.
I will go online and check reviews of both.
Thank you for the suggestions.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:22 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:00 pm
TropikThunder wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:27 am
Jags4186 wrote:

I’m in Manhattan 2x a week. And as someone who has both Sprint (corporate phone) and Verizon (personal) I can tell you that almost universally Sprint has poorer coverage than Verizon. Sure you may stroll directly underneath a Sprint tower and have faster speeds once in a blue moon, but I would say 99% of the time Verizon is a better performing network.
I live in Manhattan I can verify Verizon is the defacto carrier for NYC and upstate NY.

If anyone who is interested where ever one travels and desires to see where the signals in North America using OpenSignal you are able to see the strength and the map of actual users coverage areas

https://www.opensignal.com/

Op Both StraightTalk
And TotalWireless are carried by Walmart and I inadvertently omitted that you need to purchase a phone.