Why Is Cord Not Included?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
drawpoker

Why Is Cord Not Included?

Post by drawpoker »

Just ordered a replacement kitchen range/stove. 1st time for doing this purchase in decades. ( Went with Whirlpool, since they get very high ratings, and that was the brand of the existing one that lasted and performed well for 20+ years.)

In checking over the specs I noticed the electrical cord is not included. Huh, what? So now I gotta shell out approx $25 or so and purchase the electric cord separately the salesman says. :x

Why is this? They sell toaster ovens, microwaves, and most all other kitchen appliances with the cord included. Is this something new with kitchen stove/ranges now? Or unique to Whirlpool?

Anyone know...... :?:
brad.clarkston

Re: Why Is Cord Not Included?

Post by brad.clarkston »

That's pretty standard nowadays with so many custom built kitchen's - 110v vs. 220v - smart voltage, etc.

Then you get into the kitchen layout - do you want it built into the wall or free standing ?
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
sport

Post by sport »

Perhaps there are different connectors to the outlet and the stove manufacturer does not know which one(s) you have.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Potentially you could remove the cord from the old range and use that. Bottom line is that there are multiple forms for 220v plugs; and the manufacturer doesn't know which one you will have in your wall outlet.

--------
edited to add:
There are also different local building code requirements - some jurisdictions may require the range to be hard-wired, or other odd stuff.
Last edited by curmudgeon on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MP123

Post by MP123 »

Electric or gas?

Either way there are several different plug types especially with 50 amp circuits for electric stoves.

As mentioned you may be able to reuse the old one.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Same thing for an electric dryer. Cord is always separate.
vasaver

Post by vasaver »

Did you order from Costco? I just had a Range, Dishwasher and Fridge installed and they included all of the electric/water cables/hoses.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

local codes could also be different, as some cities may allow a plug into a receptacle while others might require the appliance be hardwired.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

This is just my personal opinion, but I think it's mostly to do with liability issues.

Local codes vary across the country, and when you're dealing with 240 volt appliances, fire is a real risk.

So the manufacturers are hoping you will use a local expert for installation. Or at least do some serious research before you hook it up. These things aren't really "plug and play".

And of course, there's profit motive too.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
erictiger12

Post by erictiger12 »

For electric range (220v), most are hardwired. So no cord is needed.
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

I think the best answer is the plug type. Houses built before sometime in the 1990's had 3 prong plugs for dryers and ranges. Then, the NEC changed and required a separate grounding wire so the receptacles became 4 prong. There are lots of older houses, so no one will know which plug type you need.

I usually move it from the old one to the new unless it has a problem. These cords rarely experience wear unless you're always pulling the stove out.
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Disposer came without cord. Rather than buy the kit, I switched the old one.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Back when I worked for Digital Equipment (DEC), there was a saying that labels and cables made products late. Perhaps that's part of it. Make the end user get his own.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

erictiger12 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:05 pm For electric range (220v), most are hardwired. So no cord is needed.
Last three houses I had were equipped with the 220V/50A outlet. {Edit Add: Just saw post below - perhaps this is a state-dependent code}
I learned this (Electric Ranges don't come with cords) with my first purchase about 25 years ago - always been like that as far as I know. Have used old plug in the past when buying a new stove.

OP: looks like Home Depot (just looked online) has them for $16.
Last edited by SmileyFace on Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Big Dog wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:41 pm local codes could also be different, as some cities may allow a plug into a receptacle while others might require the appliance be hardwired.
Yes; we have moved a lot and sometimes have to swap out a plug-end cord for a hardwired one -- or vice versa. When we were moving a lot I kept all the cords just in case.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:49 am Back when I worked for Digital Equipment (DEC), there was a saying that labels and cables made products late. Perhaps that's part of it. Make the end user get his own.
OT, but that’s the one company I wish that I had worked for. Instead of yelling at kids to get off my lawn, I yell at young techies that VMS is a better OS than anything they’ve ever worked on :D
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

I delivered furniture and appliances over the summers during college and we would just pull the old one off and use it. It's standard for ranges and dryers not to come with power cords but they are easy to swap out.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

As already said, it's because some homes are wired with the 3 prong and some with the 4 prong. You can easily look up the actual NEMA specifications. It would be costly and wasteful to include both cord types.

The real question you should ask is why you can't detach the old cord and use it on the new stove? The store refuses to install with an old cord.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Be very careful when buying appliance and having them install it as they often require you to buy the cord with the install and do not allow to use the old cord or to even provide your own newly purchased one. They don't want to take the liability.
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

mmmodem wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:21 am As already said, it's because some homes are wired with the 3 prong and some with the 4 prong. You can easily look up the actual NEMA specifications. It would be costly and wasteful to include both cord types.

The real question you should ask is why you can't detach the old cord and use it on the new stove? The store refuses to install with an old cord.
+1

To OP
Mine is hardwired, think of it this way, if they did include a cable, the stove would be $25 more expensive (nothing is free)
If you paid $25 more and the cable you got was the wrong one, or not needed hardwired or use existing one.
How upset would you be to have paid more for something you can't use?
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

As mention of DEC bought to mind... when I was buying gear, back in the minicomputer days, when you were actually negotiating a complex $60,000 purchase with a salesperson, I learned to write in a condition: "It is understood that the agreed price includes all needed cables, including any not specifically listed by name as line items." That usually motivated the salesperson to double-check.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Thanks to all for the replies, it all makes sense, given that I cannot pull the stove out from the wall to check to see just what type wiring is there (too heavy) I can partially see the back of my dryer, however, and that appears to be the normal, super-thick looking thing-y cord for a standard, 220volt outlet. Have high hopes the stove will turn out to the be same (?)

Interestingly, the sales staff at the store (Sears Hometown outlet) was speculating on 3 prong vs 4 prong, hard-wired or not, issues as well. Mainly because Whirlpool stove I am replacing is circa 1979 model :shock: , originally put in by the builder.

Yes, forty years :sharebeer but real story is: I bought the house from a rather strange duck who never used either the stove or dishwasher for the 13 years of her ownership. So, the stove did not technically "last" for 40 years, but rather 26.

Which I consider to be pretty darn good for longevity. :D
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:12 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:49 am Back when I worked for Digital Equipment (DEC), there was a saying that labels and cables made products late. Perhaps that's part of it. Make the end user get his own.
OT, but that’s the one company I wish that I had worked for. Instead of yelling at kids to get off my lawn, I yell at young techies that VMS is a better OS than anything they’ve ever worked on :D
OK, now you’ve opened the door. I was a VMS sysmgr in the day. When Cutler left and went to MS, the joke was:
V++ M++ S++ = W N T
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

erictiger12 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:05 pm For electric range (220v), most are hardwired. So no cord is needed.
I dont think this is true or its very local if it is in your area. I think however that built in wall ovens might mostly be hardwired.
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

If the outlet was installed correctly, you should be able to remove the bottom drawer of the range and reach way back to pull the plug out. Then you can see 3 prong vs 4. If house was built in 1979 then it is probably 3 prong unless it's a mobile home.
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

David Jay wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:25 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:12 am OT, but that’s the one company I wish that I had worked for. Instead of yelling at kids to get off my lawn, I yell at young techies that VMS is a better OS than anything they’ve ever worked on :D
OK, now you’ve opened the door. I was a VMS sysmgr in the day. When Cutler left and went to MS, the joke was:
V++ M++ S++ = W N T
Couldn't agree more. As a software architect/engineer who worked on the system internals of VMS, WinNT and other competitive operating systems. I can say without a doubt that while adequate, VMS was a bloated resource hog. Elegant it was not The worst thing that ever happened to Windows was the hiring of Cutler and the polluting of WinNT with VMS-like internals and structures. Instead of WinNT (New Technology), they should have called it WinKF (Kludge Fest).
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

And that is what makes horse races.
You say Tomato, I say Tomahto.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 »

suemarkp wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:19 pm I think the best answer is the plug type. Houses built before sometime in the 1990's had 3 prong plugs for dryers and ranges. Then, the NEC changed and required a separate grounding wire so the receptacles became 4 prong. There are lots of older houses, so no one will know which plug type you need.

I usually move it from the old one to the new unless it has a problem. These cords rarely experience wear unless you're always pulling the stove out.
This is the answer.

My last gig before retirement included working at a local hardware. Numerous times we had people come in for a new cord for their dryer/range only to not know the configuration of their receptacle. Often you would find "range" receptacles for dryers, which will work for dryers but the reverse is not good due to amperage.
Topic Author
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

U P D A T E

The guys finally showed up today and hauled out the old stove. Sure enough, the outlet is a 3-prong affair, just as some of you speculated here, based on the age of the house.

Now, after reading about changes to codes over the years, should I just buy another 3-prong cord for the new stove, or call in an electrician to convert it over to the 4-prong thing-y gizmo..... :? Is is considered safe enough to stick with the 3-prong deal?????
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

drawpoker wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:15 pm U P D A T E

The guys finally showed up today and hauled out the old stove. Sure enough, the outlet is a 3-prong affair, just as some of you speculated here, based on the age of the house.

Now, after reading about changes to codes over the years, should I just buy another 3-prong cord for the new stove, or call in an electrician to convert it over to the 4-prong thing-y gizmo..... :? Is is considered safe enough to stick with the 3-prong deal?????
Having a 3-prong outlet almost always means the wire going from the outlet to the breaker panel has 3 conductors. Converting to a 4-prong outlet would require pulling a new wire with 4 conductors from the outlet to the breaker panel. This could get expensive. I would just stick with the 3-prong. That's what I did.
Topic Author
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

mpnret wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:12 pm
Converting to a 4-prong outlet would require pulling a new wire with 4 conductors from the outlet to the breaker panel. This could get expensive.......
Yikes.

The existing wire, now that I can see clearly, disappears behind the lower cabinets, then, I guess, continues behind the walls of various rooms, all the way to the breaker panel, which is about 35-40 feet distance.

Tearing out the kitchen cabinets - knocking holes in the walls to do this :shock: Not happening with this old lady :!:
MP123

Post by MP123 »

drawpoker wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:27 pm
mpnret wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:12 pm
Converting to a 4-prong outlet would require pulling a new wire with 4 conductors from the outlet to the breaker panel. This could get expensive.......
Yikes.

The existing wire, now that I can see clearly, disappears behind the lower cabinets, then, I guess, continues behind the walls of various rooms, all the way to the breaker panel, which is about 35-40 feet distance.

Tearing out the kitchen cabinets - knocking holes in the walls to do this :shock: Not happening with this old lady :!:
I'd leave it as is and just enjoy your new stove.

But that's the reason the cord comes separately. :happy

Post by 123 »

drawpoker wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:28 pm ...Yes, forty years :sharebeer but real story is: I bought the house from a rather strange duck who never used either the stove or dishwasher for the 13 years of her ownership....
We remodeled a house that had been lived in by an Asian family. The 30+ year old built-in pink wall oven was in mint condition when we started our remodel (okay it had a little bit of rust)). It had apparently never been used. Asian cooking greatly relies on stir fry and so they (quite reasonably) never had any use for the oven. They had an extraordinarily powerful hood vent though.

I once lived in an apartment for over ten years and only used the dishwasher twice (mostly out of curiosity). It made a lot of noise and it was much faster to just manually wash my own dishes.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.