my best new travel tip only $2 per day more [airport parking]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
batpot

Re: my best new travel tip only $2 per day more [airport parking]

Post by batpot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:25 pm

Used to Uber/Lyft before kids.
Now we have to drive and park.

My tip: Buy a foldable hand truck or 2, and gate check the car seats.
We were stranded in the airport because the airline didn't have a loaner toddler seat. Once.

PinotGris

Re: my best new travel tip only $2 per day more

Post by PinotGris » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:07 pm

miles monroe wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:23 pm
police have issued a warning...

if you use uber/lyft to get to the airport -- and the driver picks you up at your home with luggage in hand and takes you to the airport -- you've just told a stranger that you are going to be out of town. there have been several robberies that they have tied back to uber/lyft drivers using this info.

for what it's worth.
This. My husband is paranoid about this. Does anyone else worry about this?
We get a ride to and fro from a friend to a shuttle service that is 15mts away. But I really hate bothering him and would like to get a hired service.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:50 am

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:04 pm
criticalmass wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:49 pm
lomarica01 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:54 am
I hate the economy long term parking at our big city airport, it is on gravel and you need a shuttle to get to the terminal. It can take easily half an hour or more to get to the terminal after parking. Once three shuttles passed us as they were all full, but eventually we made it. People were walking to the other shuttle stops so they could get on earlier.

So in looking for our trip tomorrow I noticed they have another long term parking lot that is paved and much closer to the terminal, might even be able to walk to it, all for a whopping $2 more per day. So here is the math, 9 days will be an extra $18. Not even a thought not to park at the better lot.

Wish I realized this years ago, I just always assumed the better parking would be too expensive.
Does anyone have any other great no brainer travel tips?
I just take a train to the airport terminal and pay $4-6 each way. Sounds reasonable enough, and price doesn’t increase if trip is long.
We do this virtually every single time. I can't remember the last time we drove to or from the airport, and we both travel for work quite a bit.

Annoying story of the day: my wife's 94yr old grandfather sent my in-laws money to buy the family (in-laws, my wife and her 3 siblings) tickets to come visit him in Minnesota. In order to pocket some of the money his dad sent him, my FIL purchased tickets for a flight next Thursday...at 4:30am. Obviously the train doesn't run that early. We share a car, so I have to wake up at 2:30am and get the kids in the car to take my wife to the airport, on a work day. We even asked if my wife could just sleep the night at their (in-laws house) and they could take her, but somehow there isn't room for a 3rd person in their Nissan Altima.
This is what Lyft/Uber/taxi are for. The ride sharing services allow you to schedule the night before. Losing that much sleep is far more expensive than the very modest cost of a lyft airport ride.

2cents2

Post by 2cents2 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:06 am

We recently visited Walla Walla, WA and were shocked to find that parking was free. They even had a long term area. You walk across the parking lot and into the terminal. We had to park there just because it was free! (Well, that and DH was interested in the WWII history on the airfield and they had some interesting pictures and memorabilia in the terminal :D ).
Watty wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 am
I live about 30 miles from the airport. I have found that getting a one way rental car at a suburban location near my house, then dropping it off at the airport works well. (and the opposite when I return).

I can pick the car up the day ahead of time as long as I drop it off within 24 hours

I can usually find these for about $45 but I will need to check several companies since the price will vary a lot depending on where the rental car companies needs the cars.
I love this tip! Our Metro line to the airport is completely shut down for the entire summer until September. Cab is about $50 to our closest airport and $100 to the other one we frequently use. Sometimes, we find a good deal departing one airport and returning into one of the others. I have looked at the Amtrak (runs once a day each way), but the return from the west coast is always so late that it never works. A one way car rental would work great in this instance.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:14 am

criticalmass wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:50 am
stoptothink wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
lomarica01 wrote:
I hate the economy long term parking at our big city airport, it is on gravel and you need a shuttle to get to the terminal. It can take easily half an hour or more to get to the terminal after parking. Once three shuttles passed us as they were all full, but eventually we made it. People were walking to the other shuttle stops so they could get on earlier.

So in looking for our trip tomorrow I noticed they have another long term parking lot that is paved and much closer to the terminal, might even be able to walk to it, all for a whopping $2 more per day. So here is the math, 9 days will be an extra $18. Not even a thought not to park at the better lot.

Wish I realized this years ago, I just always assumed the better parking would be too expensive.
I just take a train to the airport terminal and pay $4-6 each way. Sounds reasonable enough, and price doesn’t increase if trip is long.
We do this virtually every single time. I can't remember the last time we drove to or from the airport, and we both travel for work quite a bit.

Annoying story of the day: my wife's 94yr old grandfather sent my in-laws money to buy the family (in-laws, my wife and her 3 siblings) tickets to come visit him in Minnesota. In order to pocket some of the money his dad sent him, my FIL purchased tickets for a flight next Thursday...at 4:30am. Obviously the train doesn't run that early. We share a car, so I have to wake up at 2:30am and get the kids in the car to take my wife to the airport, on a work day. We even asked if my wife could just sleep the night at their (in-laws house) and they could take her, but somehow there isn't room for a 3rd person in their Nissan Altima.
This is what Lyft/Uber/taxi are for. The ride sharing services allow you to schedule the night before. Losing that much sleep is far more expensive than the very modest cost of a lyft airport ride.
It's a $120+ taxi ride (at least last time I did it) and $70+ lyft/uber (my wife took it home from airport...once, the train is like $4). I'm super annoyed, but not $70+ annoyed (yes, I'm that frugal). As of now, it looks like my SIL has told my in-laws that she isn't going because they made it so inconvenient.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:34 am

stoptothink wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
lomarica01 wrote:

"We do this virtually every single time. I can't remember the last time we drove to or from the airport, and we both travel for work quite a bit."
I would imagine that your place of work would cover the travel costs to and from and airport.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:25 am

smitcat wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:34 am
stoptothink wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
lomarica01 wrote:

"We do this virtually every single time. I can't remember the last time we drove to or from the airport, and we both travel for work quite a bit."
I would imagine that your place of work would cover the travel costs to and from and airport.
Mine does and I can’t justify the expense of driving/parking etc when a rail trip is $4. Maybe if there was terrible weather and/or the train service was delayed due to construction or something.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:34 am

criticalmass wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:25 am
smitcat wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
lomarica01 wrote:

Mine does and I can’t justify the expense of driving/parking etc when a rail trip is $4. Maybe if there was terrible weather and/or the train service was delayed due to construction or something.
When I traveled a lot for work they always covered car services or some similarly real easy and quick methods. That was in a couple of different industries and with a few companies.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:41 am

smitcat wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:34 am
criticalmass wrote:
smitcat wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
criticalmass wrote:

When I traveled a lot for work they always covered car services or some similarly real easy and quick methods. That was in a couple of different industries and with a few companies.
That was my point. Of course I could bill a car service or parking as a work travel expense and get reimbursed tax free. Instead, I get reimbursed for two $4 rail trips. Everyone wins. Why would I or anyone take a much more expensive option or generate more pollution just to ride in a private automobile when a better option exists?

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:48 am

criticalmass wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:41 am
smitcat wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:34 am
criticalmass wrote:
smitcat wrote:
stoptothink wrote:

That was my point. Of course I could bill a car service or parking as a work travel expense and get reimbursed tax free. Instead, I get reimbursed for two $4 rail trips. Everyone wins. Why would I or anyone take a much more expensive option or generate more pollution just to ride in a private automobile when a better option exists?
In my case rail was a pretty lengthy and awkward option. The business extended services that were as staff friendly as possible when we traveled, they were after all requiring travel for their behalf. We do not billed anything or got reimbursed tax free they always supplied the transportation.
Had rail been a better option then perhaps that would have been sought out - never has where we live.