Life-strategy MODERATE growth and Life-strategy GROWTH for 70/30 mix?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Life-strategy MODERATE growth and Life-strategy GROWTH for 70/30 mix?

Post by lostinthesauce » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:46 pm

What would be the disadvantages/advantages of using a half and half mix of the two to form a 70/30 asset allocation?

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Life-strategy MODERATE growth and Life-strategy GROWTH for 70/30 mix?

Post by RadAudit » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:17 pm

Are they both in tax deferred / advantaged accounts?
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:31 pm

This is a fine way to get to a 70/30. No significant downside when compared to just owning one or the other.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:35 pm

Rad, they are in a tax advantaged account.

David, thank you for the response. It's greatly appreciated!

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:38 pm

lostinthesauce wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:46 pm
What would be the disadvantages/advantages of using a half and half mix of the two to form a 70/30 asset allocation?
Only primary disadvantage in an IRA is that they will not remain balanced independently so you'll still need to manage your allocation/contributions to maintain 50/50 between the two.

If it were me I would use the Target Retirement 2030 fund instead which is essentially at a 70/30 allocation right now, and I would move to 2035 in the future if I wanted to maintain ~70/30. This would allow totally hands-off investing, with automatic contributions even if you so desire.

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:07 pm

Only primary disadvantage in an IRA is that they will not remain balanced independently so you'll still need to manage your allocation/contributions to maintain 50/50 between the two.
How would they become out of balance if they are designed to maintain their asset allocation, respective to each fund? Wouldn't they both be either 60/40 or 80/20? Or, are you saying ira contributions don't divide among the two funds equally? I couldn't set it to fund the two half and half each time a contribution is made?

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:23 pm

If you'd like a 70/30 asset allocation, your plan is a very good one. I think what the previous was alluding to is that the Growth MAY outpace the Moderate Growth so you'll just need to rebalance. You can easily contribute 50% to each on a regular schedule or direct new contributions to whichever needs it most.

I'm not a fan of target date funds because someone else is controlling your asset allocation at a glide path which may not fit your needs (why would everyone aged 48 have the same asset allocation needs?).

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:04 pm

lostinthesauce wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:07 pm
How would they become out of balance if they are designed to maintain their asset allocation, respective to each fund? Wouldn't they both be either 60/40 or 80/20? Or, are you saying ira contributions don't divide among the two funds equally? I couldn't set it to fund the two half and half each time a contribution is made?
They will maintain their own balance, and contributions can be 50/50, but they’ll still grow/shrink at different rates and thus overtime will drift.

Charon

Post by Charon » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:56 pm

Artsdoctor wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:23 pm
I'm not a fan of target date funds because someone else is controlling your asset allocation at a glide path which may not fit your needs (why would everyone aged 48 have the same asset allocation needs?).
This isn't quite fair. The Target 2035 fund isn't for those who are 48; it's for those who intend to retire around 2035. Now, it's certainly true that individuals have their own risk tolerances, but even that can be taken into account. If you want to retire in 2035 but have a higher risk tolerance, use 2040. A lower risk tolerance, use 2030.

The automatic glide path is useful for many because it takes your personal emotions out of it, and you are typically your own worst enemy when investing. (Our emotions haven't been sorely tested in 10 years, so we are apt to forget this.) Those who want a more hands-on approach are free to take it, and it does come with some advantages, provided you really follow your plan.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:07 pm

lostinthesauce wrote:
You've got some good feedback already, but let me just chime in with one observation.

There's a reason that Vanguard only offers four LifeStrategy funds, which is the cruel reality that anything more granular than this effectively amounts to false precision.

Since inception of these funds, the average return over rolling 5-year periods for VASGX has been 6.82% and for VSMGX it has been 6.57%. Combining the two would have had an average rolling return of 6.71%.

Is there a scenario in which you can imagine that a return of 6.57% will feel unbearably painful to you but a return of 6.71% would be substantially more comfortable?

Logically speaking, it's highly probable that one fund or the other is close enough to get you to your goals.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:09 pm

Regarding target date funds:

There's no doubt that having a target date fund set up for someone's retirement plan based on the retirement date is an outstanding way to get people to save who otherwise have no idea how to invest. I think it's terrific to have a default amount contributed to a company 401k deposited directly into a fund based on the employee's retirement date by default (age 65). You can do a lot worse than that.

But I'm still not a fan of TR funds for most investors who have taken an interest in investing. My glide path may be completely different than my peer's who is exactly the same age as me with the exactly the same retirement date. There are way too many variables besides age and retirement date when planning your financial future and your estate plans. You're going to do much, much better understanding what you need, how you're going to accomplish it, and then adapting that plan to life's variables. There cannot be any argument there.

However, society as a whole would be much better off using the default target date funds if the investor doesn't know where to start and/or doesn't have any interest in personal finance.

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:12 pm

vineviz wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:07 pm
lostinthesauce wrote:
You've got some good feedback already, but let me just chime in with one observation.

There's a reason that Vanguard only offers four LifeStrategy funds, which is the cruel reality that anything more granular than this effectively amounts to false precision.

Since inception of these funds, the average return over rolling 5-year periods for VASGX has been 6.82% and for VSMGX it has been 6.57%. Combining the two would have had an average rolling return of 6.71%.

Is there a scenario in which you can imagine that a return of 6.57% will feel unbearably painful to you but a return of 6.71% would be substantially more comfortable?

Logically speaking, it's highly probable that one fund or the other is close enough to get you to your goals.
This is true. It doesn't just hold for the LifeStrategy funds. If an investor's asset allocation, in general, is 60% equities, it's unlikely that returns will be all that much different than if the equity allocation is 70%. It's easy to get caught in the minutiae but the big picture won't change all that much.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:16 pm

Artsdoctor wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:09 pm
You're going to do much, much better understanding what you need, how you're going to accomplish it, and then adapting that plan to life's variables. There cannot be any argument there.
Actually, I think there's a good argument to be made there. We have lots of evidence that the vast majority of people do NOT, in fact, do better with DIY portfolios than they would with a target date fund. They do much worse.

Perhaps there are some fringe cases where the TDF glide paths don't match the needs of a particular investor, but if there are such cases I've never seen it. This forum provides multiple examples every day of the opposite problem: DIY investors with non-sensical asset allocations and investment choices.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:19 pm

I never said OP had to ride the target fund forever but it’s the easiest way to achieve 70/30 hands-off right now. Imho it requires less oversight than the 50/50 option originally posed.

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:24 pm

:D you guys are the best.. This is what I was hoping for, some great insights from all angles.

I'm seeing how re-balancing is necessary, over time due to the difference in accruing/declining actual account balances. I also don't care for the complete hands off approach of target retirement funds. I'm sure that outlook with change someday, but for now, I'd like supreme majority control over our financial future.

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:38 pm

vineviz wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:16 pm
Artsdoctor wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:09 pm
You're going to do much, much better understanding what you need, how you're going to accomplish it, and then adapting that plan to life's variables. There cannot be any argument there.
Actually, I think there's a good argument to be made there. We have lots of evidence that the vast majority of people do NOT, in fact, do better with DIY portfolios than they would with a target date fund. They do much worse.

Perhaps there are some fringe cases where the TDF glide paths don't match the needs of a particular investor, but if there are such cases I've never seen it. This forum provides multiple examples every day of the opposite problem: DIY investors with non-sensical asset allocations and investment choices.
You selectively snipped my post. I agree with you that TR funds offer something for society as a whole. However, if you are able to make your own plan and understand what you're doing, you will most likely have a plan that better suits your particular needs than a TR fund can.

Now, I freely acknowledge that those who are able to design a plan and stick with it might be in the minority for all of the reasons you're touching on. However, my point was that not everyone's glide paths are going to be identical for needs. In this way, LifeStrategy funds offer a "set it and forget it" strategy which one can follow for many years without tinkering--until you actually feel you want or need to. Someone may choose to just be 60/40 investor across many decades so LS funds would be the way to go; you don't have that focus with TR funds. Your comment about non-sensical asset allocations is spot on and we all know that tinkering gets you into trouble. LS funds prevent this from happening as well as TR funds.

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:52 pm

it looks like i'll have to either re-balance or change retirement forecasts every so often. Am I correct-ish?
Last edited by lostinthesauce on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

strafe

Post by strafe » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:45 pm

The point of LifeStrategy is the simplicity of a single fund portfolio.
If you split the difference as proposed, you own two funds without much difference in performance.

At that point, why not buy 70% total world stock index and 30% total bond index?

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:26 pm

lostinthesauce wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:24 pm
:D you guys are the best.. This is what I was hoping for, some great insights from all angles.

I'm seeing how re-balancing is necessary, over time due to the difference in accruing/declining actual account balances. I also don't care for the complete hands off approach of target retirement funds. I'm sure that outlook with change someday, but for now, I'd like supreme majority control over our financial future.
To be clear, the target fund I recommended is as much supreme majority control as what you are suggesting. Would you rather change it once every few years, or have to rebalance this monthly (or just let it drift, potentially far more than the target is)?

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:28 am

strafe wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:45 pm
If you split the difference as proposed, you own two funds without much difference in performance.

At that point, why not buy 70% total world stock index and 30% total bond index?
I'd still be missing out on International stocks/bonds with this option, wouldn't I? Whereas the Life-strategy funds incorporates all 4 areas.

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:36 am

To be clear, the target fund I recommended is as much supreme majority control as what you are suggesting. Would you rather change it once every few years, or have to rebalance this monthly (or just let it drift, potentially far more than the target is)?
MotoTrojan, I see what you are saying now.. I'm going to study on the Target date funds and see if that 10% difference is worth messing with over the next several years.

I may just go with Life-strategy moderate growth and call it a day. What are everyone's thoughts on this 60/40 fund?

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:49 am

lostinthesauce wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:28 am
strafe wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:45 pm

I'd still be missing out on International stocks/bonds with this option, wouldn't I? Whereas the Life-strategy funds incorporates all 4 areas.
Total world stock index, by definition, has International in it----it IS International. TBM is a U.S. index; while I know Vanguard recommends international bonds as part of a portfolio, I----personally----am not yet convinced of the importance of this.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:00 am

Ah, I overlooked it being the "world" index. I was replying before finishing my first cup of coffee. lol :oops:

I'll change my question from the previous post:

Given the choices of choosing Life-strategy moderate growth, a combo of Total World/Total US Bonds, or Target date fund, which would you prefer and why would that choice be advantageous of the others? Is there a better option that I haven't listed here?

Thanks everyone!
Last edited by lostinthesauce on Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

longinvest

Post by longinvest » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:01 am

lostinthesauce wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:36 am
I may just go with Life-strategy moderate growth and call it a day.
That would be an excellent choice! :thumbsup
Bogleheads investment philosophy | single-ETF balanced portfolio | VBAL

matjen

Post by matjen » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:07 am

OP, regardless of your final decision here, you are on the right path. Good work! :sharebeer
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:23 am

longinvest wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:01 am
lostinthesauce wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:36 am
I may just go with Life-strategy moderate growth and call it a day.
That would be an excellent choice! :thumbsup
+1

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:47 am

I think your original idea was just fine - holding about half and half to achieve the 70/30 allocation you wanted. It may be true that 60/40 will perform almost as well, but you had reasons to want 70/30 in the first place. Have those reasons changed?

Wanting 70/30 instead of 60/40 is not false precision. It would be false precision to think it will make huge difference, but that is no reason for you to settle for something that is not what you want.

About the asset allocation wandering over time, it is correct that the 80/20 fund will grow faster than the 60/40 fund over the long haul. So what? It won't throw your overall asset allocation out of whack very much at all. And if they do start getting more than an iota apart just put a little more than half of your contributions in the 60/40 fund and a little less than half your contributions in the 80/20 fund. That will keep things darn near 70/30....a lot closer to 70/30 than the 60/40 you are considering settling for.

I see no problem with your first idea if you are willing to hold 2 funds instead of 1 fund.

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:15 am

retiredjg wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:47 am
I think your original idea was just fine - holding about half and half to achieve the 70/30 allocation you wanted. It may be true that 60/40 will perform almost as well, but you had reasons to want 70/30 in the first place. Have those reasons changed?

Wanting 70/30 instead of 60/40 is not false precision. It would be false precision to think it will make huge difference, but that is no reason for you to settle for something that is not what you want.

About the asset allocation wandering over time, it is correct that the 80/20 fund will grow faster than the 60/40 fund over the long haul. So what? It won't throw your overall asset allocation out of whack very much at all. And if they do start getting more than an iota apart just put a little more than half of your contributions in the 60/40 fund and a little less than half your contributions in the 80/20 fund. That will keep things darn near 70/30....a lot closer to 70/30 than the 60/40 you are considering settling for.
Thank you for explaining things so clearly Retiredjg. Everyone's input helps so much with this important future planning.

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:26 am

Given the choices of:

- Half and half contribution of life-strategy MODERATE growth and life-strategy GROWTH

- A combo of 70% Total World / 30% Total US Bonds

- A 50% Total US stock / 20% Total International Stock / 20% Total US Bonds / 10% Total International Bonds combo

- Target date fund starting at 70/30 and compensating over the years

Which would you prefer and why would that choice be advantageous of the others? Is there a better option that I haven't listed here?

Thanks everyone!

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:31 am

lostinthesauce wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:26 am
Given the choices of:

- Half and half contribution of life-strategy MODERATE growth and life-strategy GROWTH

- A 50% Total US stock / 20% Total International Stock / 20% Total US Bonds / 10% Total International Bonds combo

Which would you prefer and why would that choice be advantageous of the others? Is there a better option that I haven't listed here?

Thanks everyone!
Assuming all in IRA (no tax implications) the Target date will allow full automation for the longest period.

Option 3 should be the lowest ER, but I wouldn't care much personally if I favored automation. I would do Option 3 if I also had taxable investments though for tax-efficiency and ability to tax-loss harvest US vs. Ex-US separately. I also would not hold the Total Int Bonds.

You're really overthinking this though. Pick one, you can always switch and try something new next year. Focus on saving more, that'll matter much more.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:43 am

lostinthesauce wrote:
Given the choices of:

Thanks everyone!
All of these are good choices. The differences are small and revolve around
  • -how much international stock and/or bonds you want in your portfolio or

-how much you like to be hands off

-some very small differences in costs
What is most important to you? There is no wrong decision here- it is purely personal preference.

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:08 am

Another angle....What I do is keep VASGX (Life Strategy Growth 80/20) in my Roth IRA and target date 2025 (65/35) in my tax deferred account. This puts my overall asset allocation in tax advantaged accounts at about 70/30. My reasoning is I will start spending from the tax deferred account in about 6 years, and the Roth IRA, not for at least 10-12 years, so I can take a little more risk/reward there.

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:11 am

You're really overthinking this though. Pick one, you can always switch and try something new next year. Focus on saving more, that'll matter much more.
I completely agree with you about overthinking this. :D It's my nature, unfortunately. Thanks for all the help, friend.

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:54 am

Same question but for ROTH IRA

Given the choices of:

strafe

Post by strafe » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:05 pm

Some advocate for prioritizing stocks in Roth accounts and bonds in tax deferred accounts. In that case you’d want to think of your portfolio as a whole across account types, with different holdings in each account. But it’s also more complex. Personally I would use the same lifestrategy fund in both accounts, keep it simple.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:40 pm

lostinthesauce wrote:
Given the choices of:

Thanks everyone!
lostinthesauce,

I would go with 100% LifeStrategy Moderate Growth. Why? No rebalancing is required.

KlangFool

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:57 pm

So why not a target retirement fund instead? I'm not leaning one way or the other yet. Not too many people have shared their expertise, considering how many frequent the bogleheads forum.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:03 pm

Nothing wrong with that choice (a target fund) either.

RogueBear

Post by RogueBear » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:08 pm

Considering Lifestrategy Growth (VASGX) and Balanced Index Fund (VBIAX) to get the (70/30). Uncomfortable with the amount of exUS in VASGX, but with the addition of VBIAX it is the right AA for my tastes. The fact that it auto balances will help me in a downturn. My behavior in a downturn is to continue to contribute, but do not have the courage to sell bonds and buy stocks. Good that I do not panic and sell, but could improve with auto re-balancing.
Last edited by RogueBear on Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RB

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:00 am

yes Roguebear, it sounds like you have a good strategy for yourself.

Topic Author
lostinthesauce

Post by lostinthesauce » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:10 am

Well, after lots of thought and research, we've come up with a decision. We are going with Vanguard Target Retirement 2045 Fund (VTIVX). I like the set and forget aspect of the fund, along with the very aggressive initial asset allocation with built-in glide path. I firmly believe the seasoned experts at Vanguard have designed these funds for optimal performance over the long haul. I'd like to extend my gratitude to everyone who shared their perspective on things and hope others can learn from this thread as well.

:sharebeer

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:17 am

Well, that's a switch. :happy

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:27 am

lostinthesauce wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:10 am
Well, after lots of thought and research, we've come up with a decision. We are going with Vanguard Target Retirement 2045 Fund (VTIVX). I like the set and forget aspect of the fund, along with the very aggressive initial asset allocation with built-in glide path. I firmly believe the seasoned experts at Vanguard have designed these funds for optimal performance over the long haul. I'd like to extend my gratitude to everyone who shared their perspective on things and hope others can learn from this thread as well.

Grats on your decision. Now stay the course.

I don't invest looking in the rear view mirror and I know absolutely nothing about the future.