(Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DaftInvestor
Posts: 5464
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:22 pm

Google "Honda Accord Seat Cushion" - looks like a big market with lots of options (for a reason). The only problem is if you are tall and already out of headroom you won't be able to add a seat cushion.
This is one reason I moved away from sedans - Camry, Accord, etc. have gotten smaller/less-comfortable in seating/headroom over the years. For me - I didn't want to go up to an SUV either - I found the Subaru Outback a good compromise.

teamDE
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by teamDE » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:30 pm

I'm 6'4 and also have problem in many japanese cars. A Camry's visor is right at my eye level which is insanely annoying. Headroom is fine, it's just the top of the windshield and visor is too low. My Mom's Accord Coupe is even worse.

I've found German cars in general to have taller roofs, particularly VW's. I drive a Golf Sportwagen with no sunroof and i have like 5" of headroom AND visor/sightline room.

Topic Author
kjvmartin
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by kjvmartin » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:53 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:22 pm
Google "Honda Accord Seat Cushion" - looks like a big market with lots of options (for a reason). The only problem is if you are tall and already out of headroom you won't be able to add a seat cushion.
This is one reason I moved away from sedans - Camry, Accord, etc. have gotten smaller/less-comfortable in seating/headroom over the years. For me - I didn't want to go up to an SUV either - I found the Subaru Outback a good compromise.

To me it’s so strange that the overall size of these midsize sedans is growing annually but the seats are getting less accommodating. My spouse had a 15 CR-V which was plenty comfortable or I may get a Tucson. Shopping around a bit. Yes, I can’t add any seat cushion due to my height. Amazing to me that sitting in a Sonata in the showroom they manage to nail the comfort factor. I can’t imagine someone of any size feeling squeezed in there.

jrbdmb
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:27 pm

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by jrbdmb » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:48 pm

nps wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:31 pm
I had a similar problem with the new Accord. Ceiling too low even on lowest seat setting. Anything but LX or Sport 1.5 takes a big chunk out of headroom with the non-optional sunroof.
This can apply even to much larger vehicles. I had to search far and wide to find a F-150 with leather (my one luxury) but no sunroof, as the 3-4" loss of headroom was a killer. My wife has a Pathfinder with a sunroof, and I bang my $%@*$* head every time I try to climb into that thing.

FYI, i also found the recent Altima (rental) to be very comfortable.

User avatar
AllieTB1323
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:17 am
Location: Desert Washington State

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by AllieTB1323 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:21 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:37 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:54 pm
How tall are you?
6'4 or 1.93m for our non-USA Bogleheads.
I know your pain, over the last decade the only "car" I felt comfortable in is a Silverado pickup.

Demisaba
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon May 13, 2019 10:28 am

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by Demisaba » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:21 pm

A related problem.

When I set my seat down to the bottom and out, I get just enough leg room. BUT THE STEERING WHEEL DOESN'T TELESCOPE OUT ENOUGH!!!

finite_difference
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by finite_difference » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:27 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:47 pm
After thorough research and two test drives, I bought a 2019 Honda Accord Hybrid for my 90-120 minutes of daily commuting. My way of avoiding any potential oil dilution concerns and still getting a reputable Honda.

My automotive ownership history goes: '89 Dodge Ram, '90 Compact Isuzu, Impala, Mustang, Mazda6, Mazda6, Equinox, and now the Accord. I've never owned an uncomfortable vehicle till now.

I knew the Equinox to Accord would be an adjustment, but at 1500 miles I am torn between seeing an orthopedist and selling the vehicle at a loss. The car was just fine for the short test drives, but I have been in various forms of pain ever since the first day I commuted in it. It fades by Sunday night and starts up again Monday morning. At issue seems to be the following - I have a years old stress fracture in my foot that can flair up when I exercise really hard. I seem to get the same effect from driving in this car. The seat padding is very hard/thin. I get pain in that area. It's also difficult for me to find a knee rest during cruise control (which is excellent with stop and go capability). The seating position is very low, so my knees have an unusual angle.

Just a word of advice: If you're in the market for an Accord, spend 30 minutes in the drivers seat before signing on the line.
Someone just brought up a good point.

Do you have the leather or cloth seats?

I’m vegetarian but the leather Honda seats do seem more comfortable unfortunately.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Topic Author
kjvmartin
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by kjvmartin » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:00 pm

finite_difference wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:27 pm
kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:47 pm
After thorough research and two test drives, I bought a 2019 Honda Accord Hybrid for my 90-120 minutes of daily commuting. My way of avoiding any potential oil dilution concerns and still getting a reputable Honda.

My automotive ownership history goes: '89 Dodge Ram, '90 Compact Isuzu, Impala, Mustang, Mazda6, Mazda6, Equinox, and now the Accord. I've never owned an uncomfortable vehicle till now.

I knew the Equinox to Accord would be an adjustment, but at 1500 miles I am torn between seeing an orthopedist and selling the vehicle at a loss. The car was just fine for the short test drives, but I have been in various forms of pain ever since the first day I commuted in it. It fades by Sunday night and starts up again Monday morning. At issue seems to be the following - I have a years old stress fracture in my foot that can flair up when I exercise really hard. I seem to get the same effect from driving in this car. The seat padding is very hard/thin. I get pain in that area. It's also difficult for me to find a knee rest during cruise control (which is excellent with stop and go capability). The seating position is very low, so my knees have an unusual angle.

Just a word of advice: If you're in the market for an Accord, spend 30 minutes in the drivers seat before signing on the line.
Someone just brought up a good point.

Do you have the leather or cloth seats?

I’m vegetarian but the leather Honda seats do seem more comfortable unfortunately.
It's cloth. EX-L is expensive.

decapod10
Posts: 656
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:46 pm

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by decapod10 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:21 pm

Demisaba wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:21 pm
A related problem.

When I set my seat down to the bottom and out, I get just enough leg room. BUT THE STEERING WHEEL DOESN'T TELESCOPE OUT ENOUGH!!!
Yeah, this bothers me a lot in some cars. Not sure if I just have T-Rex arms or I'm starting to drive like my mom, lol. The 2017 Accord is not too bad, but it would be nice if the steering wheel came out an extra 2 inches. My old car was a bigger problem. I basically had to make my seat more upright in order to reach the steering wheel comfortably, but then my head would be touching the roof.

jbranx
Posts: 1544
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by jbranx » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:07 pm

{Topic is now in Personal Consumer Issues} viewforum.php?f=11

finite_difference
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by finite_difference » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:08 am

kjvmartin wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:00 pm
finite_difference wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:27 pm
kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:47 pm
After thorough research and two test drives, I bought a 2019 Honda Accord Hybrid for my 90-120 minutes of daily commuting. My way of avoiding any potential oil dilution concerns and still getting a reputable Honda.

My automotive ownership history goes: '89 Dodge Ram, '90 Compact Isuzu, Impala, Mustang, Mazda6, Mazda6, Equinox, and now the Accord. I've never owned an uncomfortable vehicle till now.

I knew the Equinox to Accord would be an adjustment, but at 1500 miles I am torn between seeing an orthopedist and selling the vehicle at a loss. The car was just fine for the short test drives, but I have been in various forms of pain ever since the first day I commuted in it. It fades by Sunday night and starts up again Monday morning. At issue seems to be the following - I have a years old stress fracture in my foot that can flair up when I exercise really hard. I seem to get the same effect from driving in this car. The seat padding is very hard/thin. I get pain in that area. It's also difficult for me to find a knee rest during cruise control (which is excellent with stop and go capability). The seating position is very low, so my knees have an unusual angle.

Just a word of advice: If you're in the market for an Accord, spend 30 minutes in the drivers seat before signing on the line.
Someone just brought up a good point.

Do you have the leather or cloth seats?

I’m vegetarian but the leather Honda seats do seem more comfortable unfortunately.
It's cloth. EX-L is expensive.
Did you try the leather seats?
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Chunkachange
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:35 am

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by Chunkachange » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:58 am

I’m 6’5” and skipped the accord during my last purchase despite being a favorite otherwise. I drive a lot and seat comfort was high on my list. I seem to recall the issue for me was seat depth and thigh support, but I could be mistaken. I do tend to keep the seat back and low, making the roof less of an issue.

The car I ended up with a Volvo XC70, but the s80 would be the identical fit sedan. It fits me perfectly and is incredibly comfortable. Alas the new models are much tighter so I’ll be endlessly looking for slightly less used 2015 models if I can’t find something I like as much.

notinuse
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by notinuse » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:03 am

simplesimon wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:06 am
We're thinking about buying a Honda CRV - any tall people have similar issues?
My wife has a Honda CRV, and the seats are not comfortable to me. I am 6 feet tall, 170 pounds, and the seat bottoms are too short to provide much thigh support for me.

Winston19
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:42 pm

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by Winston19 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:31 am

I am by no means tall and when I recently tried an accord I was shocked at how low the seating position is. You almost fall into the car. The second my wife who is 5'2 sat in the car she declared it was too low for her to see out of.
Seems like honda managed to design a vehicle that is not great for both short and tall people.

Topic Author
kjvmartin
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by kjvmartin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:19 am

notinuse wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:03 am
simplesimon wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:06 am
We're thinking about buying a Honda CRV - any tall people have similar issues?
My wife has a Honda CRV, and the seats are not comfortable to me. I am 6 feet tall, 170 pounds, and the seat bottoms are too short to provide much thigh support for me.
What year?

w33ps
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:40 pm

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by w33ps » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:17 am

This may not be 100% on topic but I will share that I am 6’5” tall and feel so comfortable in my 2017 Dodge Durango GT. I know it is not a very boglehead car whatsoever but the car shows I average 22.5 mpg (driving is about even 50/50 city/highway).

I know FCA has reliability concerns but this is my second Durango after selling my 2013 with 130k miles no significant issues. The Durango is unibody now and drives very much like a car. Fun to drive, comfortable, tons of room, and a lot of the new safety features. Remote start has been very helpful in the Florida summer heat!

w33ps
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:40 pm

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by w33ps » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:18 am

This may not be 100% on topic but I will share that I am 6’5” tall and feel so comfortable in my 2017 Dodge Durango GT. Seats are great and leg and headroom is ample. I know it is not a very boglehead car whatsoever but the car shows I average 22.5 mpg (driving is about even 50/50 city/highway).

I know FCA has reliability concerns but this is my second Durango after selling my 2013 with 130k miles no significant issues. The Durango is unibody now and drives very much like a car. Fun to drive, comfortable, tons of room, and a lot of the new safety features. Remote start has been very helpful in the Florida summer heat! It will be hard for me to go back to a car in the future :(

notinuse
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by notinuse » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:29 am

kjvmartin wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:19 am
notinuse wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:03 am
simplesimon wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:06 am
We're thinking about buying a Honda CRV - any tall people have similar issues?
My wife has a Honda CRV, and the seats are not comfortable to me. I am 6 feet tall, 170 pounds, and the seat bottoms are too short to provide much thigh support for me.
What year?
It is a 2018. I should mention my wife is 5 feet tall, and she finds the seats very comfortable.

jebmke
Posts: 11069
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: Delmarva Peninsula

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by jebmke » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:34 am

notinuse wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:03 am
simplesimon wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:06 am
We're thinking about buying a Honda CRV - any tall people have similar issues?
My wife has a Honda CRV, and the seats are not comfortable to me. I am 6 feet tall, 170 pounds, and the seat bottoms are too short to provide much thigh support for me.
I have a friend who has a CRV and I ride in the passenger seat for long periods, often. The seat is uncomfortable. I think this is a general Honda issue.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

helloeveryone
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:16 pm

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by helloeveryone » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:11 pm

Your height likely precludes this option as noted above but a fancy seat cushion maybe worth an attempt ($89) to see if you can salvage the purchase?

If it doesn’t work just use the cushion for a chair at work or home.

https://www.tempurpedic.com/other-produ ... ice/v/799/

w33ps
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:40 pm

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by w33ps » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:57 pm

Does anyone know if the Acura equivalent of the Accord shares the same uncomfortable driver seat issues?

User avatar
deanbrew
Posts: 1323
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:05 pm
Location: The Keystone State

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by deanbrew » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:22 pm

notinuse wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:29 am

It is a 2018. I should mention my wife is 5 feet tall, and she finds the seats very comfortable.
It would be helpful if people mentioned what model year they are referencing. The recent Honda Accord generations are:

10th: 2018+
9th: 2013-2017
8th: 2008-2012
7th: 2003-2007
6th: 1998-2002

The last Accord I owned was a 1999. It seems to me that it is SO difficult to determine comfort on a typical test drive.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Topic Author
kjvmartin
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:01 pm

deanbrew wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:22 pm
notinuse wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:29 am

It is a 2018. I should mention my wife is 5 feet tall, and she finds the seats very comfortable.
It would be helpful if people mentioned what model year they are referencing. The recent Honda Accord generations are:

10th: 2018+
9th: 2013-2017
8th: 2008-2012
7th: 2003-2007
6th: 1998-2002

The last Accord I owned was a 1999. It seems to me that it is SO difficult to determine comfort on a typical test drive.
To wrap this up - I lost $3000 selling my 2019 Accord EX with 3000 miles on it. I had to shop value to replace it and ended up with a Ford (of all things) Escape which has been a dream to drive. More frequent fuel stops, for sure, but I am perpetually comfortable in it.

User avatar
jeffyscott
Posts: 9009
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by jeffyscott » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:02 pm

Just sayin... wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:03 am
It’s sad that you can’t get a car without a sunroof, unless you want to base level model.
You certainly can, just have to look beyond Honda and Toyota. They are the only ones that force a sun/moon roof on you for anything above base trim level, AFAIK. We just finished test driving about dozen or more vehicles and every other one we looked at you could get at least the second trim level, if not higher, without an unwanted hole in the roof.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

Kgabby
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:05 am

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by Kgabby » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:28 pm

I'm 5'6" I inherited my dad's 2017 Honda Accord He put the first 30,000 mi on it at 230 lb The seat didn't break in but it's breaking my back I'm not sure what to do I want to keep the car because it reminds me of him and he's gone now but I can't live like this. I have a convertible I'm going to drive it to work this week or maybe the next two weeks to see if the back pain subsides. I should check in with Honda to see if I can replace the seat but I don't know what to even ask for. I bought a gel seat to help but it props me up so high now I have to have the seat on the lowest setting and it doesn't seem to be helping my back I'll try a couple more but I'm getting frustrated.

squirm
Posts: 2752
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by squirm » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:16 pm

I had to drive a Prius C today, I could barely fit in that pile.

Helo80
Posts: 1619
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by Helo80 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:20 pm

FWIW --- when I see/hear complaints from people buying new cars and being miserable after long drives (that did not happen on short test drives), it's been Honda's. It's been maybe five non-car enthusiast people that have made comments about their new cars having horrible seating... and every one has been a Honda.

IDK what they're doing to their seats. I am but one person, but that is my two cents.

Helo80
Posts: 1619
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by Helo80 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:23 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:01 pm
To wrap this up - I lost $3000 selling my 2019 Accord EX with 3000 miles on it. I had to shop value to replace it and ended up with a Ford (of all things) Escape which has been a dream to drive. More frequent fuel stops, for sure, but I am perpetually comfortable in it.

Glad to hear. The Escape is a good vehicle. Even though it's a crummy situation to be in, I totally get taking the hit on the trade-in as it's way, way better than being miserable for years on end.

Also, see my comment above. It looks like I missed your OP as I don't see a comment from me at the time. I would have said the same thing that I said above. It's funny that you're now like the fifth person to complain... and each time it's been Honda and either Civic or Accord.

Post Reply