several SURS questions- Illinois state university retirement

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
am

several SURS questions- Illinois state university retirement

Post by am » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:18 am

Does the annuity you get at age 62 for 5 years of service include health benefits? is this something you pay for and it gets deducted from the annuity?

Also, if you have payed into the social security system for years, will the benefit be decreased for 5 years of service into the SURS system? Does the government pension offset apply for this and how does it work? Thanks.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:41 am

My wife worked for the state until just recently.

If you work for them 5 years you are eligible.

5-20 yrs. you have to contribute to the plan as well

20+ yrs. it is free.

Survivors have opportunity to purchase at your rate as well while your alive and also after.

Better experts out there can answer the SS question, but the time at UIC the salary is not taken out for SS so of course those years don't count.

Besides I believe you only need 40 social security credits to be eligible (4 credits/ yr. makes it 10 yrs. work to qualify). Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

pshonore

Re: several SURS questions- Illinois state university retire

Post by pshonore » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:27 pm

am wrote:Does the annuity you get at age 62 for 5 years of service include health benefits? is this something you pay for and it gets deducted from the annuity?

Also, if you have payed into the social security system for years, will the benefit be decreased for 5 years of service into the SURS system? Does the government pension offset apply for this and how does it work? Thanks.
GPO only applies to Spousal or Widow benefit as I recall. The WEP (Windfall Elimination Provision) applies to benefits on your earnings record paid to you. Here's a link that explains it: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10045.html
And another for the GPO: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10007.html

DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:25 am

If the person in question no longer works in the SURS system, they should start withdrawing at age 62 per my previous posting.
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett

E5797

Re: several SURS questions- Illinois state university retirement

Post by E5797 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:20 am

Regarding the health benefits for SURS at retirement, does the percentage appointment matter?

For the SMP, it looks like retirement is available at 55 with 8 years of service or at 62 with 5 years of service. I'm under the impression that part time work is included, so as long you've had an appointment greater than 0% time, you'd be eligible to have state insurance? If you work less than 20 years, it's not free, but having access to health insurance would be important. Is that correct?