Long Weekend Beach Getaway

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
davebo

Long Weekend Beach Getaway

Post by davebo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:33 am

My wife and I are in the midwest and planning on going out of town in mid August, but a little stumped as to where to go. We only want to do 2-3 nights because we have some other things going on during that time. Originally looked at Hilton Head, but were 2nd guessing ourselves a little based on the flights we were able to find. We are looking for a place with a beach, restaurants in walking distance, and very walk-able/bika-ble around town.

I know it will be hot during that time, so open to other options as well.

abner kravitz

Re: Long Weekend Beach Getaway

Post by abner kravitz » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:39 am

If you are still thinking of Hilton Head, make sure you are looking at the Savannah airport for flights, not the airport on Hilton Head. The flights directly onto Hilton Head are less frequent and pricey.

atlgenxennial

Post by atlgenxennial » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:42 am

30A area of the Florida Panhandle- short drive from ECP (Panama City Beach Airport)

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:42 am

Clearwater Beach as it's very walkable, has a variety of restaurants, shops, bike rental (though in August I wouldnt) and of course the beach! No car needed just Uber from TPA.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:46 am

davebo wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:33 am
My wife and I are in the midwest and planning on going out of town in mid August, but a little stumped as to where to go. We only want to do 2-3 nights because we have some other things going on during that time. Originally looked at Hilton Head, but were 2nd guessing ourselves a little based on the flights we were able to find. We are looking for a place with a beach, restaurants in walking distance, and very walk-able/bika-ble around town.
Maybe Virginia Beach?

I am not a "beach person" at all!!

Just my reaction that flying to such locations for only 2-3 days seems quite expensive per day.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:52 am

Pensacola Beach. Not as crazy built up with high rise condos although there are some.

Whatever you do, if thinking about the Gulf Coast, do NOT go to Biloxi for the beach as such!
It is too close to the Mississippi so water muddier, sand dull, no waves, no dunes. We used to chuckle at seeing license plates from Midwest, people who drove10 hours or more, who could have driven 1 or 2 or 3 hours more east on I-10 to truly great beaches.

Have to go a bit east, better further you go, at least to Dauphin Island AL (south of Mobile, no high rise condos), then Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, Perdido Key and Pensacola Beach, Fort Walton Beach and Destin, Panama CIty.

You can get direct flights to Pensacola from Chicago and Kansas City (however you define Midwest)
Last edited by rj342 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:53 am

Mexico: Puerto Vallerta or Cabo San Lucas
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:14 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:46 am
davebo wrote:
Maybe Virginia Beach?

I am not a "beach person" at all!!

Just my reaction that flying to such locations for only 2-3 days seems quite expensive per day.
agreed

health teacher

Post by health teacher » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:00 am

I'd highly recommend stretching your stay to 4 nights. We've done our far share of beach travel on the east coast and we have found when you factor in travel and getting settled in an unfamiliar place, 4 nights suits us best for the experience we are looking for.

Just to name a few:

You could fly into Providence, RI and drive down to Newport, RI. (about an hour).

You could fly into Portland, ME and check out any of the small beach towns or even ferry over to Peaks Island.

Fly into Fort Myers and go to Fort Myers Beach, FL but most of the downtown is on the northern part of Estero Island.

Fly into Philadelphia and drive to Cape May, NJ, but is over an hour and a half drive.

Myrtle Beach, SC but it is touristy with a capital T.

It really depends what you are looking for. Do you want close proximity to airport without regard to the beach? Do you want touristy, packed beaches with boardwalks and vendors everywhere? Do you want the high rise condo beach experience? Do you want the beautiful beaches no matter the feel of the beach town? Or do you want quaint, more private intimate?

alex11

Post by alex11 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:31 am

You will likely find decent fares flying into Tampa or Orlando.
From Tampa you can be to Clearwater/Indian Rocks/Treasure Island/St. Pete's area in 45 minutes to an hour.
Add an extra 10-15 minutes and you can be to Anna Maria Island/Bradenton Beach area.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:24 am

davebo wrote:
in the midwest ...... We only want to do 2-3 nights
That is right in hurricane season and even if the area you are going to is not directly impacted flights can be disrupted nationwide.

For such a short trip I think finding a lake near where you live with resorts or cabins would be a better option and you could likely be there in a few hours.

robphoto

Post by robphoto » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:58 am

health teacher wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:00 am
I'd highly recommend stretching your stay to 4 nights. We've done our far share of beach travel on the east coast and we have found when you factor in travel and getting settled in an unfamiliar place, 4 nights suits us best for the experience we are looking for.

Just to name a few:

You could fly into Providence, RI and drive down to Newport, RI. (about an hour).

You could fly into Portland, ME and check out any of the small beach towns or even ferry over to Peaks Island.

Fly into Fort Myers and go to Fort Myers Beach, FL but most of the downtown is on the northern part of Estero Island.

Fly into Philadelphia and drive to Cape May, NJ, but is over an hour and a half drive.

Myrtle Beach, SC but it is touristy with a capital T.

It really depends what you are looking for. Do you want close proximity to airport without regard to the beach? Do you want touristy, packed beaches with boardwalks and vendors everywhere? Do you want the high rise condo beach experience? Do you want the beautiful beaches no matter the feel of the beach town? Or do you want quaint, more private intimate?
Not sure what the constraints on your schedule are, but for things in New England (like Newport, suggested above, or Block Island, or a number of other places) they really clear out after Labor Day; water is still warm (for New England) and the young people are back in school, so it's a much calmer scene. Also as someone suggested, if you could do 4 or 5 nights instead of just a couple, that would seem to make sense if you're traveling so far.

Ragman

Post by Ragman » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:03 am

Have you considered visiting Traverse City or Petoskey, Michigan? You may be able to travel by car.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:16 am

Charleston SC area has some great beaches plus great restaurants and history. Wild Dunes and Kiawah Island are great resorts but expensive.

Wilmington NC area is nice too. Wrightsville Beach is a nice compact beach very close to downtown Wilmington and there are others nearby as well.

As others stated, you are getting into hurricane season in August but you should know if there is a risk of a hurricane before you leave.

treadingwater

Post by treadingwater » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:36 am

Recently spent a week at a lakefront vrbo in Lake Ozark. Not so much a beach area, but swam everyday off the well stocked (kayaks, floaties, tubes, pedalboat) dock. Close enough to drive to. Boat, jet ski rentals abundant.