Scrubber machine to clean tile floors?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dbc47

Scrubber machine to clean tile floors?

Post by dbc47 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:15 pm

We just purchased a new home and there is quite a bit of tile flooring. We've mopped the floor which gets the surface clean but the tiles are not smooth but have a texture to them that a regular floor mop can't reach. The mop just glides over the textured part (valleys in the tile) so there is still dirt left behind after mopping. I really don't want to get on my hands and knees to scrub each individual tile. Can anyone recommend a scrubber brush type machine that might be able to reach in the nooks and crannies of the tiles? We looked on Amazon and found a Hoover Floormate Deluxe that has rotating brushes but thought I'd run it by here first before I go out and just start buying something. We tried our steam mop and that didn't really do much to solve the problem either. Thanks!

jminv

Re: Scrubber machine to clean tile floors?

Post by jminv » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:36 pm

dbc47 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:15 pm
We just purchased a new home and there is quite a bit of tile flooring. We've mopped the floor which gets the surface clean but the tiles are not smooth but have a texture to them that a regular floor mop can't reach. The mop just glides over the textured part (valleys in the tile) so there is still dirt left behind after mopping. I really don't want to get on my hands and knees to scrub each individual tile. Can anyone recommend a scrubber brush type machine that might be able to reach in the nooks and crannies of the tiles? We looked on Amazon and found a Hoover Floormate Deluxe that has rotating brushes but thought I'd run it by here first before I go out and just start buying something. We tried our steam mop and that didn't really do much to solve the problem either. Thanks!
The floor mate works well if it is just a slight texture, the grout is narrow, and the grout is near level with the tile surface. It works very badly with Saltillo tile ( and can damage it). If the texture has a significant height difference the Hoover also won’t work great (water vacuum ineffective). I found the Hoover to be a real pain and was slow. Just used a sponge mop and scrubber.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:24 pm

dbc47 wrote:
We looked on Amazon and found a Hoover Floormate Deluxe that has rotating brushes but thought I'd run it by here first before I go out and just start buying something.
We had one and to be honest, it was the absolute worst thing we had bought in a long time. Ineffective at cleaning and was a hassle to use.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:33 pm

Are you using a wet mop or a damp mop? We've found that more water does help (but that also means you have to be more careful).

Also you might try professional steam cleaning.

Topic Author
dbc47

Post by dbc47 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:08 am

Thanks everyone for the tips. We'll keep on investigating our options.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:18 am

dbc47 wrote:
We tried our steam mop and that didn't really do much to solve the problem either. Thanks!
What kind of sham does your steamer have on the end? We use our steam mop to clean our tile floor and it does a great job, even in the dips and valleys. However, it has a really coarse sham that I put over the end.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:21 am

dbc47 wrote:
I used this with decent success but when I purchased it in 2012 it was half the price.

https://smile.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-S ... B000VHLFEW
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:19 am

We have mostly tiles (12" sq). We got the Mopnado a couple of years ago and it's worked out great.

https://smile.amazon.com/Mopnado-Stainl ... 00I5ZCPU0/

You might have to watch a YouTube video to figure it out the first time you use it.

I also added a stream cleaner for when the floor and grout is really dirty
https://smile.amazon.com/McCulloch-MC12 ... 0000DF0RB/

The best thing you can do though is get a decent intensive cleaner - SCI used to sell the best one, but they stopped selling it so now we use
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8GC1TO/

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:39 am

I have ceramic tile that is slightly textured to look like stone. I use an ordinary vacuum to pick up dust so it does not accumulate along the textured lines. Then I wetmop with a weak bleach solution which both cleans and keeps ants away -- if I skip the bleach the ants show up in a couple of weeks. Neither vacuum nor wetmop alone will do the whole job.

Periodically, every few months, I clean the grout with whatever Lowe's is selling for that purpose and small brushes. It is a pain but it is rewarding to have clean grout. I don't know any easy way to do it.

Good luck.
16% cash 48% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%