Pickup truck issue!!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Yellowhouse

Pickup truck issue!!

Post by Yellowhouse » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:36 pm

My 2008 Ford F350 diesel needs 3k-5k worth of work, I found this out today. It apparently will soon need a high pressure fuel pump. The job is quite intense, you have to take the cab off to properly do the repair.

I'm really not sure what we should do because the vehicle is paid off. Last week, I was forced to put brakes, rotors, calipers and a master cylinder on it to the tune of 2k. Now this hits me in the a$$, should I just trade it in on a newer model truck?

I need a pickup truck for my business and for pulling my fishing boat. Maybe a gas pickup such as a F150 is in the cards? Or should I sink more money into this F350 because it's paid off? It has 129k miles on it.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Re: Pickup truck issue!!

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:47 pm

Are you in a cold weather state?
Have you had fuel quality issues from your supplier in the past?
Do you need that power and load/towing capacity?
Have you gotten a competitive quote on the repair?

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:49 pm

Nothing is more expensive than a new car, but new cars are nice. How much is it worth to you? How's your budget?

A relative owns a business and leases his F-150. Can you write off a lease for your business? That seems to be advantageous for taxes, but I'm no expert. I think his lease payment is in the high $500s or low $600s for a mid range XLT.

BobStrauss

Post by BobStrauss » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:53 pm

New trucks are expensive, but it sounds like having to spend $3-5k on a truck with only 129k miles on it isn’t a great deal either.

Whatever you do I would factor safety into your consideration. Trucks produced now are far safer than those built 10+ years ago. Not just the crash tests, but when you consider things like blind spot monitoring, automatic emergency braking, etc., those things can be invaluable. I know it’s the Boglehead thing to drive old beaters, but I’ll never have anyone in my immediate family do so.

FWIW you can get huge amounts of sticker price for F-150 XLTs, and if you tow, the 3.5L is an excellent option.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:10 pm

Let me guess. This is the 6.doh! :oops: Ford diesel disaster?

MP123

Post by MP123 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:17 pm

Looks like it's worth about $15k as a trade optimistically based on kbb.com. Run your real numbers for a better guess and results are usually higher than you'll get in real life.

Does it run? If not it may be a tough trade.

New trucks especially diesel are shockingly expensive, fixing it might make sense if it meets your needs otherwise. Especially considering the other work you've put into it.

Or maybe you've got an itch for something newer? Next time get a Cummins!
Last edited by MP123 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:19 pm

It sounds like somebody wants a truck! The fact that the current truck is "paid off" isn't a factor. Having a loan doesn't change the value of the truck.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:21 pm

What’s wrong with it?
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:23 pm

Yellowhouse wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:36 pm
My 2008 Ford F350 diesel needs 3k-5k worth of work, I found this out today. It apparently will soon need a high pressure fuel pump. The job is quite intense, you have to take the cab off to properly do the repair.

I'm really not sure what we should do because the vehicle is paid off. Last week, I was forced to put brakes, rotors, calipers and a master cylinder on it to the tune of 2k. Now this hits me in the a$$, should I just trade it in on a newer model truck?

I need a pickup truck for my business and for pulling my fishing boat. Maybe a gas pickup such as a F150 is in the cards? Or should I sink more money into this F350 because it's paid off? It has 129k miles on it.
Why do you have an F350 and are now considering an F150? Almost nobody buys an F350 by mistake.

I think the diesel thing is wearing a little thin in the pickup realm, partly due to the complexity and resulting reliability issues brought on by emissions, and partly due to better gas engines (Ford will have the 7.3L gas this year.) Diesel is still useful for some applications, but probably not so much for 129k miles in 11 years unless you have exceptionally heavy-duty requirements.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:25 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:49 pm
Nothing is more expensive than a new car, but new cars are nice. How much is it worth to you? How's your budget?

A relative owns a business and leases his F-150. Can you write off a lease for your business? That seems to be advantageous for taxes, but I'm no expert. I think his lease payment is in the high $500s or low $600s for a mid range XLT.
I'm guessing the fishing boat eats into the applicable deduction - unless the OP is in the fishing business, of course.

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:28 pm

Pull the part number and find how much the part costs. I’d also read up on forums to see what’s involved in changing it out, to make sure the quote seems sane. Taking the cab off seems like a red flag... very very few parts in a car or truck would require such a thing, so I’d want 3rd party verification from a trusted enthusiast forum. Make sure your mechanic isn’t pulling your leg.

Topic Author
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:52 pm

My mechanic told me that his diagnostic tests kept telling him that my high pressure fuel pump is the problem. I've looked them up on line and the part alone is over 1k. I also investigated a bit on the internet and yes, it's absolutely recommended to take the cab off when doing this particular repair.

I actually don't pull anything too heavy, so I'm thinking about buying a used F150. I'd rather have a F250 diesel but the diesels nickel and dime you to death.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:58 pm

Yellowhouse wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:52 pm
My mechanic told me that his diagnostic tests kept telling him that my high pressure fuel pump is the problem. I've looked them up on line and the part alone is over 1k. I also investigated a bit on the internet and yes, it's absolutely recommended to take the cab off when doing this particular repair.

I actually don't pull anything too heavy, so I'm thinking about buying a used F150. I'd rather have a F250 diesel but the diesels nickel and dime you to death.
Why would you rather have a diesel when you've already gone down that road and suffered the consequences? I don't think I'd associate diesel repair costs with "nickel and dime." If you like Ford, what's the issue with the 6.2 in an F250? It's somewhat old-tech with the six-speed, but are you aware of any issues with that powertrain?

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:04 pm

that's the problem with the diesels... you do have to pull the cabs off to do the repairs... and it still costs $3k for the new ones. That's part of the reason I've got a gas F250 ... the 6.2 L with six speed tranny (the new ones next year will have a ten speed).
First, you need to determine what you need to tow and then determine what allows that capacity. For me, it was knowing that I might have to tow siblings 30ft trailer that's already over 8400 dry ( my trailer is about one ton lighter) at altitude (10-12k passes) and the 6.2 gas allows that with the 250... a 150 with the 5.7 doesn't quite cut it with both the power and the load. It's also funny that the 250 actually cost less than the loaded (tow pkg, etc) 150 that "almost" could handle the needs, so it made it easy. It also helps that the new trucks have available rear cameras and other safety equipment that older models don't.

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:09 pm

{Topic is now in Personal Consumer Issues}

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:50 am

I was recently faced with a similar conundrum with my 2011 Diesel BMW. It needed about $7k worth of maintenance and (mostly emissions-related) repairs and modifications, $1600 of which (failed SCR Catalyst) was already committed at the time. After debating trading it in, I decided to have the work done, along with doing what I could (replacing shocks/struts/brakes) myself. If I can get 4 more years out of it, and then give it to my son, I think that will be worth it to me.

If you still like the truck and don't mind driving it a few more years, I'd do the repairs. If not, do whatever is necessary to make it saleable and move on.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:10 am

I would be very reluctant to put money into the 6.0 without doing a full bulletproof process by a well established diesel mechanic. Google bulletproof 6.0 to get a long list of items that need to be fixed to make this motor reliable.

spitty

Post by spitty » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:24 am

I think you should trade for a F-250 gasser while it's still running. Bummer you've recently "invested" $2k in repairs, but this next service will be more, then who knows what's next...injectors? Another $3k. Since you tow regularly I'd avoid the F-150; on a recent trip I noticed lots of half tons that appeared to be pulling way too much. Diesels are great but all this DPF stuff is a PITA from reading the forums. Some delete the system but there are big penalties if caught and then selling/trading can be difficult.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:21 am

Yellowhouse wrote:

Agreed.
I've had a bunch of trucks, different sizes, self and my company, since. . . . the 70's. The diesels were always a PITA. When they work, great. Otherwise? The most reliable work trucks were the F250's with the 351 or 5.8 litre motors. Ran forever. My personal truck was always a loaded F-150, large V8, until I switched to the newer Toyota Tundra's with the larger V8.

I'd sell the truck while it's running good. Do it soon before it finally goes out on you.
It would be tough to sell a truck that doesn't run.

I'd think it'd be tough to come down from a 350 to a 150. Consider a f250. . ??

j
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:39 am

MP123 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:17 pm
Looks like it's worth about $15k as a trade optimistically based on kbb.com. Run your real numbers for a better guess and results are usually higher than you'll get in real life.

Does it run? If not it may be a tough trade.
Even if it runs trying to sell it while it needs the repairs will result in a much lower resale price if the buyer knows that there are problems.

I do not know what the legal issues would be but I would have an ethical problem with trying to sell a truck with such major problem to an unsuspecting buyer.

The reduction could be a lot more than the cost of the repairs. If so then it might be necessary to pay to fix it just so the truck could be sold for a reasonable price.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:41 am

I am normally almost always on the side of repair, but one thing to consider is that a dead truck that needs 3-5k worth of work is a lot harder to sell and get decent money out of than a working truck that needs 3-5k worth of repairs at some point in the future.

You have an 11 year old truck that isn't necessarily young (though also not old) when it comes to miles, a diesel model so more finicky and costly, and you're looking at having to dump some money into it soon regardless.

I tend to agree that I'd find a used F250 gas and get into that. If you do it right you can probably still do it without borrowing money, so your truck would still be paid off. I sympathize about not having a car payment.

This year I've put $1,750 into a 2003 Mercedes S500 AWD. I'm hoping to get another two years at least out of it - July 2021.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:57 am

Yellowhouse wrote:

It sis really all about application -
- What is the maximum loads that you pull and carry for work?
- What are the maximum loads that you pull and carry for leisure?

With those known requirements you select the truck that safely accomplished you tasks. Overbuying load capabilities results in higher coats for acquisition and maintenance as well as a more problematic truck - ie taller, larger turning radius, costlier tires/brakes/etc , worse handling, etc.
We have had all sorts of trucks in the 1/2, 3/4 and full ton range - all of them qualify for a business tax write off.
Since you have a business perhaps ask your accountant what a trade and/or new truck will actually cost you after tax considerations.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:02 am

Watty wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:39 am
Even if it runs trying to sell it while it needs the repairs will result in a much lower resale price if the buyer knows that there are problems.

I do not know what the legal issues would be but I would have an ethical problem with trying to sell a truck with such major problem to an unsuspecting buyer.

The reduction could be a lot more than the cost of the repairs. If so then it might be necessary to pay to fix it just so the truck could be sold for a reasonable price.
+1 I don't think you have a choice since you already know it needs some expensive repairs. You are on the hook for fixing them before selling it or disclosing it to the person who buys it from you which will probably drop the price more than the cost of repairs.

The question I always ask myself that I haven't seen the OP address is what kind of repairs are going to be needed in the FUTURE. If you can foresee no repairs in the next five or six years, drive it some more miles to lesson the hit of the repairs and then sell it before something else breaks. If it is going to need more significant repairs within a couple years, well you've already gotten soaked paying the $2k and you are going to get soaked selling it with known issues that need fixing, and now you are going to have to go out and buy another truck to replace it. You will have to chalk it all up as a very expensive lesson.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:06 am

finite_difference wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:21 pm
What’s wrong with it?
:?: Sentence #2 from post #1
It apparently will soon need a high pressure fuel pump

head gamez

Post by head gamez » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:10 am

Id fix it (probably take it a step further while the cab is off and do the bulletproof work as well), and drive it. Of course.... I am the guy that put a new transmission in a 13 year old trailblazer with 200k miles.

mrc

Post by mrc » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:16 am

A new truck like my 2004 6.0 diesel/auto is ~$65K. Yours is barely broken in at 130K miles. I would fix it.
Science is about the pursuit of truth. That always threatens someone.

Topic Author
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:17 am

I need to clarify something very important here....the truck is actually running very well. It's a weird situation, the mechanic drove it yesterday and made the comment of how well it's running.

Also, it's a 2008 6.4 engine that has been deleted. The deletion was money well spent. Regarding selling, I too would have moral issues selling it to a private party with the underlying issues. Now on a trade in to a dealership, I could not care less about them. No way Jose would I disclose anything to a dealer!! Make them figure out what's up.

As I stated earlier, the truck runs very good in its current shape. The only reason we even know of an issue is because the check engine light pops on.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:34 am

Yellowhouse wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:17 am
Now on a trade in to a dealership, I could not care less about them. No way Jose would I disclose anything to a dealer!! Make them figure out what's up.

The only reason we even know of an issue is because the check engine light pops on.
The last vehicle I traded to a dealer they plugged in an OBDII scanner and checked for present and past codes before the final trade in price was inked.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:36 am

lthenderson wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:34 am
Yellowhouse wrote:
Now on a trade in to a dealership, I could not care less about them. No way Jose would I disclose anything to a dealer!! Make them figure out what's up.

The only reason we even know of an issue is because the check engine light pops on.
The last vehicle I traded to a dealer they plugged in an OBDII scanner and checked for present and past codes before the final trade in price was inked.
Of course even a cheap (under $15) scanner tool can be used to reset the cel and erase any past codes.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:41 am

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:36 am
lthenderson wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:34 am
Yellowhouse wrote:

Of course even a cheap (under $15) scanner tool can be used to reset the cel and erase any past codes.
Yes, as long as the code doesn't pop up immediately upon starting and allowing the car to go through its system check which they also did.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:43 am

Yellowhouse wrote:
I need to clarify something very important here....the truck is actually running very well. It's a weird situation, the mechanic drove it yesterday and made the comment of how well it's running.

Also, it's a 2008 6.4 engine that has been deleted. The deletion was money well spent. Regarding selling, I too would have moral issues selling it to a private party with the underlying issues. Now on a trade in to a dealership, I could not care less about them. No way Jose would I disclose anything to a dealer!! Make them figure out what's up.

As I stated earlier, the truck runs very good in its current shape. The only reason we even know of an issue is because the check engine light pops on.
You do not need a diesel or high capacity truck , you don't want a diesel so perhaps do this....
-Figure out what capacity truck you require before you look and go shopping.
-Find a nice used model and a dealer that you like.
-price it without your trade first
-then use your existing truck to find the trade value.
-Pass these numbers by your accountant to see what your actual out of pocket costs will be.

spitty

Post by spitty » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:44 am

How does that work, a dealer taking in a deleted truck? Seems they'd need to restore it to stock before legally selling it. That would hit your trade in value!

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:53 am

I like Click and Clack saying of "It is cheaper to keep her".
I also like no big hassles with my rides.

Business and tax issues might favor many things, in the right circumstances I would go new:
https://markjkohler.com/the-suv-and-tru ... -loophole/
http://mcmullancpas.com/blog/2016/06/08 ... ax-breaks/
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microso ... -deduction

I am not an accountant...
4nursebee

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:57 am

OP - does this truck have the water drain petcock on the low pressure pump which requires draining every 30 days or so?

rj342

Post by rj342 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:26 am

I would lean toward fix and then drive while taking time to figure out if you want a different truck and how to go about that -- and get the best value out of yours when you do get rid of it (agree the hit to resale selling as-is surely more than your cost to fix).

But don't know how your 'deletion' affects it all.

I just had a similar situation w my bought new 1999 F-150 4.6L V8. About to be 17 years w no payment (bought Halloween 1998).
20 years old but only 134k miles on it, interior and exterior surprisingly good for the age. Its really only ever been a [drive to] work truck used for routine homeowner stuff. Currently only put about 5-6k miles a year on it.
Engine runs *great*, just uses a bit of oil.
A few non-trivial things popped up in last year, all more pure age related than miles, but I felt the power train had so much life left it was worth it even though repairs (dealt with one at at time as they popped up) added up to fair amount more than the book value. One of those decisions that a narrow financials view might not endorse
-power steering pump (apparently a Ford thing) - did hoses while at it
- pinon seal where drive shaft enters rear differential
-had a brake cylinder failing so replaced all 4
- A/C compressor (its Alabama!) and a heater motor/door issue (did heater core though not leaking while already in there due to dash labor). These failed at different times over last year but I put off until this Spring and did at together.
- Last surprise a few weeks ago was cylinder/plug fouled w coolant leak. Big Oh No moment, but not a head or block problem, just seal between intake manifold and head.

If that last had been worse (where replacing engine a possibly) I might have thrown in towel, but given I now know all those other systems are rock solid, the price for the last repair again seemed worth it.
My reasoning is all those repairs together somewhat more than book value of truck, but I could NOT have taken that money (if I had had a crystal ball) and bought a used truck with it that would be immune to those or other problems coming up shortly.
This way, given my low miles per year, I could get 5 or even 10 more years out of it.

P.S> Nice thing about an old F-150 i certain parts dirt cheap -- got new headlamps for $30 each.
Last edited by rj342 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

snowman

Post by snowman » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:29 am

spitty wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:44 am
How does that work, a dealer taking in a deleted truck? Seems they'd need to restore it to stock before legally selling it. That would hit your trade in value!
Dealer cannot legally sell deleted truck - that's the first thing they check. I am not even aware of the dealer in my area that would accept deleted truck for trade in. Deleted trucks are generally sold to private party buyers. Anybody that decides to delete their truck understands that future dealer trade in is off the table.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:29 am

8foot7 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:41 am
I am normally almost always on the side of repair, but one thing to consider is that a dead truck that needs 3-5k worth of work is a lot harder to sell and get decent money out of than a working truck that needs 3-5k worth of repairs at some point in the future.

You have an 11 year old truck that isn't necessarily young (though also not old) when it comes to miles, a diesel model so more finicky and costly, and you're looking at having to dump some money into it soon regardless.

I tend to agree that I'd find a used F250 gas and get into that. If you do it right you can probably still do it without borrowing money, so your truck would still be paid off. I sympathize about not having a car payment.

This year I've put $1,750 into a 2003 Mercedes S500 AWD. I'm hoping to get another two years at least out of it - July 2021.
+1
Really good point.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:29 pm

Yellowhouse wrote:

Replacing the EGR will cost a varying and probably large amount depending on how it was removed. Without restoring it you'll only be able to sell the truck to a niche market, for parts, or scrap it.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:30 am

F150HD wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:06 am
finite_difference wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:21 pm
What’s wrong with it?
:?: Sentence #2 from post #1
It apparently will soon need a high pressure fuel pump
I read that as it will need $3k-5k of work and maybe a high pressure fuel pump. I didn’t realize a fuel pump cost $3-5k.

If you know it’s that fuel pump, you should be able to research how to diagnose it, expected lifetime, and whether it is OK to keep it going or replace it early, as well as any other maintenance you should perform or do at the same time. Also can get a second or third opinion from different mechanics.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Did your truck throw the code P-0088? If so Ford has a TSB 12-7-7 where reflashing your computer may fix this.